PDA

View Full Version : Post your random thoughts here... (#3)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

snooch
04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
.... and GO!

Hope
04-23-2013, 02:26 AM
We have one car and it's sitting dead in a parking lot 30 minutes south of here. That's kind of sucky.
:( Looking on the bright side, though: we didn't get rained or hailed on while working on the car, my house is an easy 15-minute walk from my office, and the forecast calls for lovely weather all week.

katzankatz
04-23-2013, 08:29 AM
I went to a chocolate tasting event last night. I'm beginning to see why wine and chocolate are such a good combination. I thought most of the bites I ate would taste good with raisins haha. My favorite bite was dark chocolate with cinnamon and cayenne.

Jolinar
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I told my son to brush his teeth as long as it takes to sing the alphabet slowly twice. I forgot the concept of singing in his head is beyond him - it's so funny to listen to! <3

purple
04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Darren Criss in a suit singing Come What May.... That is all...

purple
04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Darren Criss in a suit singing Come What May.... That is all...

Now he's dressed up as Top Gun... Glee is killing me this week...

Sam
04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Coffee!!!

Jolinar
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm so stressed out right now and worried. :(

Sam
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Cassy wrote her name this morning, but she left out the C and the Y.
Yeah, you can figure it out! :P I'm teaching her the importance of putting letters in order. She can spell things but when she writes a word she just writes the letters randomly.

~Kellee~
04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I had a dream last night and someone patted my stomach and said "you look good for a 94 yr old, pregnant grandma".

I think I do look pretty good for being a 94 year old pregnant grandma, thank you very much lol

mina
04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
My strawberries are coming up! This cold weather has lasted far too long. I'm so ready for it to get warm, to plant my seedlings outside and get the garden in full swing!

GM
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm so stressed out right now and worried. :(

you ok?

Mrs_B
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I think my kids have it in for me! I took them for a drive this morning to get DS to sleep, he had been sleeping for about 30 minutes and I look back and DD is asleep too. I think to myself "Great! Napping at the same time. I'll find somewhere to pull over". 2 minutes later, DS is wide awake. :help:

Manna
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Did anyone see where I left my motivation? :P

purple
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm going to America in June!!!!!!!

I've been put forward for lay reader training which will mean from Sept I'll be going through 3 years of pretty full on training!

I asked DH if I could take a trip to America when he was at work and he said if I could work the finances then I can.
My mum has offered to put my flights on her credit card!!!!

Too excited... I'm finally going to get to meet a lady I started talking to about 10 years ago on another board... So if anyone is near Fort Worth TX or Taylorstown VA mid June we might be able to meet up... I am only over for just under 2 weeks but we can see what we can do!

Christina
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Cassy wrote her name this morning, but she left out the C and the Y.
Yeah, you can figure it out! :P I'm teaching her the importance of putting letters in order. She can spell things but when she writes a word she just writes the letters randomly.

This made me ROFL!!! She's a gem...that'll be something you can both laugh over later in life lol

Jolinar, hope you are ok!

Purple! How exciting!!!

Going back to work today. mixed feelings. not looking forward to the bad smells...but I do love the kids. Doing no housework today...everything is so behind, but I have the day off tomorrow, so I am sort of setting it in stone that I will get stuff done tomorrow.

Sam
04-23-2013, 01:44 PM
I am 30 years old, and I can remember cooking with my mother from a very early age, and yet, I can not master the art of the boiled egg, or measuring macaroni for that matter. They are the deepest secrets of the culinary universe and it seems I will never solve them.

Christina
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I can't measure macaroni to save my life, or bake bread for that matter! I always make way too much macaroni! Always!

Hard boiled egg? I either get em too soft or get em too cooked. Hubby boils them for 12 minutes in water and baking soda, then cuts or cracks a bit of the end off of each egg, then blows on one end like really hard and the egg comes flying out of the shell. It actually works. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Jolinar
04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
you ok?

We thought we had a situation taken care of and now a month later we don't and we don't know what happened or what changed.

Sam
04-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Never underestimate the power stickers have on small children!

purple
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I have a meeting next week to speak to the deputy director of lay readers in Truro Diocese. Exciting stuff!!!

katzankatz
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Laundry and grocery shopping day. Could it be that I am actually looking forward to doing these 2 things today?

Mrs_B
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
We are donating items to be sold at a garage sale to benefit a charity, but I can think of so many items from every room in the house, it all seems too overwhelming and I don't know where to start!

Christina
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
It is a GORGEOUS day here. PERFECT. I have music up and windows and doors wide open...trying to get housework done.

Virginia
04-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I wish I had more free time to enjoy the perfect day.
ETA: Christina, this is not directed at you, haha! I just noticed you posted about something similar, lol :)

Sam
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
We are donating items to be sold at a garage sale to benefit a charity, but I can think of so many items from every room in the house, it all seems too overwhelming and I don't know where to start! work on one thing (like closet, dresser, toy box) at a time, and don't worry about the rest until you've finished the one thing.
I get overwhelmed by that kind of thing easily and that's what helps me.

purple
04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
I've been looking for ages for a way to help me do my daily readings...

Well, as the saying goes, there's an app for that!!! Scripture Unions Daily Bread is available as a free app...

Result!!!

Jolinar
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
A friend of mine - whom I caught in a lie two years ago still won't speak to me. I think it's time I deleted her from my friends list. What's silly is I was willing to work past it if she was willing to admit be lied. :(

spiersdodgerblue
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Nooooo, unexpected guess at dinner time :(

This is what I get.........LOL

Manna
04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I just booked a Disney cruise for DD and myself! <insert happy dance here!!>

Jolinar
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Disney cruise! How fun!

judylew
04-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm a huge Disney fanatic, and I can't wait to go to Disneyland again! I usually try to go once a week, but I've been so busy that I haven't gone in a little over a month. I miss it. lol

snooch
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm a huge Disney fanatic, and I can't wait to go to Disneyland again! I usually try to go once a week, but I've been so busy that I haven't gone in a little over a month. I miss it. lol

Before we leave California (if that ever happens LOL) I need to get up there. I've been to Disney World several times, but never Disneyland. I figure I should see it while I can :P

Hope
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I feel invisible. I hate it.

~Kellee~
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Before we leave California (if that ever happens LOL) I need to get up there. I've been to Disney World several times, but never Disneyland. I figure I should see it while I can :P

I like Disneyland more than Disneyworld.

~Kellee~
04-24-2013, 11:05 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling that way, I feel that way most of the time too :hug:

Sam
04-24-2013, 11:19 PM

:hug:

Sam
04-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Letting a child be disappointed in herself is hard, but I know it's necessary and I'm just trying to let it motivate her to do better tomorrow.

~Kellee~
04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
I struggle so much with choosing what battles to pick.

We let Dahlia run around in her room before naptime and bedtime a bit because she needs that time to just decompress by herself. We then go up and read a few stories then cuddle and she stays in bed (for the most part lol). Some nights this goes well and some nights she freaks out.

Tonight she freaked out when I said it was bedtime and I had just had enough. I left the room with the books and she started sobbing. Not tantrum sobs but heartbreaking, I want my mommy, sobs. I just couldn't leave her up there like that and I'm wondering if I made the right decision. We read her favorite book and she went to bed.

She has been extra clingy lately (which is quite unlike her) and she woke up sobbing at 430 this morning.

Manna
04-25-2013, 01:19 AM

I'm so sorry, that's a horrible feeling. We see you. :hug:

Historia
04-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Tuesday night was great sleep. Well, great for my son. He slept 7 hours in a row. And I'm thinking, yay, we're making progress. Then last night he had the worst night ever. Party animal did not want to go back to sleep after his 3am meal. I was so tempted to do CIO, but that really isn't the method for him. Now I just have to figure out what was special about yesterday, so that we don't have a repeat.

katzankatz
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Shoot. I just remembered I was supposed to meet someone for coffee LAST Friday! What a great friend I am...

katzankatz
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I need to do some baking today. Not because I want to bake, but because I want some muffins.

Sam
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Cassy just tried to settle an argument by saying "Mom, this is the day The Lord has made." Um, yes it is, but what does that have to do with changing your pillowcase? Lol! Kids!

snooch
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I struggle so much with choosing what battles to pick.

We let Dahlia run around in her room before naptime and bedtime a bit because she needs that time to just decompress by herself. We then go up and read a few stories then cuddle and she stays in bed (for the most part lol). Some nights this goes well and some nights she freaks out.

Tonight she freaked out when I said it was bedtime and I had just had enough. I left the room with the books and she started sobbing. Not tantrum sobs but heartbreaking, I want my mommy, sobs. I just couldn't leave her up there like that and I'm wondering if I made the right decision. We read her favorite book and she went to bed.

She has been extra clingy lately (which is quite unlike her) and she woke up sobbing at 430 this morning.

Poor little thing sounds like she's going through something that's scary to her. FWIW I think you made the right call going back in. :hug:

snooch
04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Cassy just tried to settle an argument by saying "Mom, this is the day The Lord has made." Um, yes it is, but what does that have to do with changing your pillowcase? Lol! Kids!

Maybe she meant, "This is the bed the Lord has made" LOL.

snooch
04-25-2013, 11:55 AM
I have absolutely no idea what to fix for dinner tonight.

katzankatz
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
It's my goal to get busy on baking those muffins by 1 o'clock. Now I have to do it because I just put it in writing.

felinity
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM

She wants to rejoice and be glad in it, BUT YOU'RE HARSHING HER VIBE, MOM!

purple
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I've had a wonderful day with my nephew today. He is such a good kid... He's only 15 1/2 months but I took him in to get him a new pair of slippers and when he walked off I just said 'Austin back here please' and he stopped, looked at me, and walked back to me. I was able to steer him from the back of the store to the till just saying 'this way please' without holding his hand or anything.

He's such a pleasure to take out... I'm looking forward to a couple weeks time when DH and I get to take him out on our own.

felinity
04-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I've had a wonderful day with my nephew today. He is such a good kid... He's only 15 1/2 months but I took him in to get him a new pair of slippers and when he walked off I just said 'Austin back here please' and he stopped, looked at me, and walked back to me. I was able to steer him from the back of the store to the till just saying 'this way please' without holding his hand or anything.

He's such a pleasure to take out... I'm looking forward to a couple weeks time when DH and I get to take him out on our own.

This sounds blissful. Just know that it might not last forever. :)

purple
04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
This sounds blissful. Just know that it might not last forever. :)

But it might...

DIANAC
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Your girl maybe just did not finish her sentence ... And this would have been the ending
"let us rejoice and be glad in it and that excludes changing pillowcases"!
She is so smart!
:)

felinity
04-25-2013, 05:03 PM
But it might...

I hope it does. :)

purple
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I hope it does. :)

So do we... He's being brought up well and everyone looking after him is on the same page so there is no reason to think that he will not grow up to be a good kid...
Of course there will be tantrums and bad days, but we have no reason to doubt that they will be way outweighed by the good and great days.

felinity
04-25-2013, 05:34 PM
So do we... He's being brought up well and everyone looking after him is on the same page so there is no reason to think that he will not grow up to be a good kid...
Of course there will be tantrums and bad days, but we have no reason to doubt that they will be way outweighed by the good and great days.

Oh, absolutely! I never intended to imply otherwise. All I meant was that my kids started thinking it was hilarious to run away from me (in different directions, of course) around 16 or 17 months. Totally normal toddler stuff, and I'm hopeful that they'll grow up to be good kids, too, but it's frustrating in the moment.

Sam
04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Your girl maybe just did not finish her sentence ... And this would have been the ending
"let us rejoice and be glad in it and that excludes changing pillowcases"!
She is so smart!
:)

Lol! Well, a little back story here, she's had her eye on a certain blue floral pillowcase that I usually have on my bed, she always tries to put that pillow on her bed but, it usually goes on Dh's pillow. So yesterday, we are changing sheets and she saw her opportunity to claim the pillowcase for herself and she took it lol.
So this morning when she made her bed she wanted to change it again and I told her no.
I guess she was trying to glorify God by changing her pillowcase lol and I wouldn't let her!

GM
04-25-2013, 10:07 PM

Fun! My kiddos have always been like this with their auntie. Actually, they've never run away from us either...:baby:

felinity
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm just jealous that I don't have that model. ;)

Virginia
04-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm so glad I finally have a Saturday to myself, in the state of Virginia, without volleyball. Whew.

mina
04-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Our laundry room/space had really old orange laminate countertops and backsplash for the sink area. We decided to give it a simple makeover. I couldn't decide between white subway tiles or a blue easy stick on glass mosaic. We finally decided on the blue glass and to tile the countertop in beige. It's not a large space and it won't take much to spruce it up. Either way it will be better than the orange brady bunch fantastic laminate. I'm excited to see the results!

spiersdodgerblue
04-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Today was hard for our family. 15 years ago today our Anne Renee went to be w/the Lord....she was 17.

purple
04-26-2013, 04:40 AM
*hugs* spiers... I've been through a couple of these 'milestone anniversairies' with DH in regard to his brother... It always hits him hard :(

Jolinar
04-26-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm shocked everyone so far seems to be supportive of the baby news.

Sam
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Today was hard for our family. 15 years ago today our Anne Renee went to be w/the Lord....she was 17.

spiersdodgerblue
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
We have not had a family photo sense Anne Renee passed. we just seem to not be able jump that hurdle. Hard to think about going to sit for a family photo and know one of our kids are gone.

Sam
04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I couldn't imagine, Annette. I just couldn't. I'll be keeping you and your family lifted up in prayer today.

spiersdodgerblue
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you Sam, we seem to need it. When people say, it gets easier....they don't know what there talking about!

I do know, God is all knowing and in control! He knows how people are hurting and He is wanting us to call upon HIM!!

Sage
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM

spiersdodgerblue
04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
On a lighter note....... so glad it's Friday!! Anyone have plans for the weekend? Not much here. Taking granddaughter to The First Tee, which is like a golf clinic. She loves being there, which is all that matters :) From there...going to see a man who is close to being with our Lord. This man and his wife have been like our spiritaul parents. After that we have no plans. I guess I'm kinda looking for some ways to occupy our minds a little.

So what are your plans?

snooch
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: spiers

On a lighter note....... so glad it's Friday!! Anyone have plans for the weekend? Not much here. Taking granddaughter to The First Tee, which is like a golf clinic. She loves being there, which is all that matters :) From there...going to see a man who is close to being with our Lord. This man and his wife have been like our spiritaul parents. After that we have no plans. I guess I'm kinda looking for some ways to occupy our minds a little.

So what are your plans?

We're talking about possibly going to a Ren Faire in the next town over. It's kind of lame (I'm spoiled by the awesomeness of the Maryland Ren Faire :D) but it could be fun. We also need to get our Flat Stanley butts in gear soon.

Jolinar
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Arthritis hurts and I can't take a thing for it. Might soak in the bath once the water heater has reocvered. I finished the laundry in one day and most of it is already folded! Putting the kids away once a certain goober wakes up from her nap.

Virginia
04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Another pregnant student. Wow.

Sam
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Probably not much going on this weekend. I may do some paper mache art work with Cassy. Now that my SIL has signed me up for 3 different magazine subscriptions, and I hardly ever read magazines, I have to do something with them!

purple
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Last year we bought a trailer tent off our vicar as somewhere to live over the summer when I came back from Zambia... obv all that fell through and where we are now there is nowhere to store it... I've had a nightmare trying to sell it so in the end I figured I'd rather give it away to a family who can make real use out of it.

I put it on 3 freecycle sites in my area earlier today... only 2 put it up but I had over 60 replies...

What a nightmare having to wade through the replies to see who to give it to... but I settled on a family with 2 little ones...

Jolinar
04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Another pregnant student. Wow.

How old are your students?

My wrists hurt! Gah!

katzankatz
04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Sorry you're in pain, Jolinar. :( It stinks so bad. And then not being able to take something...

katzankatz
04-26-2013, 06:14 PM
RT1: Had an awesome dog walk this AM. She's getting really good. Still some pulling, and squirrels and birds are a huge distraction. But we're learning.

RT2: It's so nice outside. Finally! DD and I ate outside for lunch, sitting in the sun. It was kind of windy, but at least it was above 50°. Definitely want to spend some time outdoors this weekend.

RT3: Kids best friends from out of state were supposed to come for a visit this weekend. But that's been cancelled due to behavior problems, apparently. Sometimes I feel they are a little bit unnecessarily hard on their kids. But, on the other hand, I am OK with having a little quieter weekend.

Historia
04-27-2013, 04:57 AM
My MIL and SIL got their U.S. visas. SIL will be here for a couple of weeks and MIL will be here for 3 months. I have two SILs and this is the one I'm most nervous around. She doesn't get along with anyone in her family all that well and she openly mocked me (I don't even speak the same language as her and it was obvious, plus my husband confirmed it) twice when I was in China. But I suppose 2 weeks shouldn't be too bad. And I'm happy my MIL will get to spend time with her grandson, but I'm very nervous to have her here too. I'm getting a good routine down with my son and I'm nervous that all of my work will be undone. Plus, I'm not ready for the criticisms that I'm guessing will come. I already told my husband to not translate it if they think I'm fat. I'm pretty sure they already thought that when I was at my lowest adult weight when I was in China (his mother asked if I was pregnant :( ).

BelovedDaughter
04-27-2013, 08:21 AM
How incredibly rude, Henrietta! I'll be praying for you that the visits go smooth and they don't treat you badly.

Historia
04-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Thank you!

Though I don't think my MIL meant to be rude. She probably didn't think that my husband would tell me. And maybe she was just hopeful. Regardless, apparently she was very thankful to me (and has said so to her son a few times) because I gave her a grand son. She has two granddaughters, but this is her first grandson. When I was pregnant she told my husband that sex/gender didn't matter as long as the baby was healthy. Turns out, she was really happy that we had a boy and may be nice to me just because of that, even if she might think I'm fat or have any other issues with me. The SIL on the other hand....

katzankatz
04-27-2013, 09:34 AM
When you're lost and alone
When you're sinking like a stone
Carry oooo-oooo-oo-o-on.

(Got that song stuck in my head, going on 2 days now.)

Sam
04-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Guess I get to make another paper mâché frog lol.

Jolinar
04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Hearing a kid tell her mother to F off. I swear my mother would have beat me senseless! Holy.

Sam
04-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh wow! I said something like that to my mother once. Once. It barely came out of my mouth and she back handed the crap out of me lol. That's the only time she ever did that but I can't blame her. I remember feeling absolutely terrible for saying that to her.

Jolinar
04-27-2013, 11:33 AM
E called me the B word at 5! I was so shocked I smacked him before I realized it. He was shocked because I normally don't spank. He has never done it again. Then we both burst into tears.

Sam
04-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah I'm not looking forward to that part of parenting. I'm sure everyone experiences things like that and it's hurtful and shocking at the same time. We do spank for serious offenses, but it's rare, like, once every few months rare.

GM
04-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Crappy week. OS is away at a camping trip, spent his birthday there so we didn't really celebrate :(

purple
04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I really hope my DH isn't angry with me for giving the trailer tent away... But selling it was driving me crazy...

Jolinar
04-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah I'm not looking forward to that part of parenting. I'm sure everyone experiences things like that and it's hurtful and shocking at the same time. We do spank for serious offenses, but it's rare, like, once every few months rare.

Yeah we spank for really serious things but it's more rare for me than say for Dad. It just was a bad day. we cried.

Reading a zombie apocalypse book - I now don't think I have enough food\liquids stored and need to find a way to store more water. :D

katzankatz
04-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Craving of the month: EVERYTHING. Make it available, and I will eat it! Not hungry? Doesn't matter, I want to eat it.

Sam
04-27-2013, 03:37 PM
A friend posted a quote pic thing for me, it's Shakespeare, "though she is but little, she is fierce" and for some reason I keep thinking "I hope that's a good thing!"

purple
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh my... These bunnies need to get a bit older fast... Sue just started on Mel his afternoon... Which seems rather ironic since out of Mel and Sue IRL Sue is the one that is gay...

Edit... They need to get older so they can be spayed...

Historia
04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
A friend posted a quote pic thing for me, it's Shakespeare, "though she is but little, she is fierce" and for some reason I keep thinking "I hope that's a good thing!"

I think it is!

My RT: Guess what idiot left a diaper bag in a Walmart cart? Oh well. The only thing we paid for was the big container of wipes (since we don't have travel packs). The Trader Joe's cloth bag, receiving blanket, and two diapers were gifts. Though I did really like that bag and haven't seen any nice ones like it at the LI or local Trader Joe's stores.

Christina
04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Man what a funny 2 weeks. Not only did I get home from "vacation", but since then, we've bought a guest bed, a couch, two new pieces of exercise equipment, and a TV. The plan is to get the basement set up really nicely, well, as nicely as a fieldstone basement can be set up, so that we can work out down there. We practically have a gym down there now...so hopefully we can get everything cleaned up and organized. I hate our basement...but I'm hoping to install some lighting and such that will make it a lot brighter.

Sam
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I need to put as my cover photo on FB something that says "yes, I have land, no, I do not want your dog"
I'm not running a farm for wayward dogs people!

Sam
04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
And another fb thought. Some random dude "poked" me on fb and the only "friend" we have in common is a country music singer, so there's no way we know each other. Creeper!

snooch
04-27-2013, 10:55 PM
And another fb thought. Some random dude "poked" me on fb and the only "friend" we have in common is a country music singer, so there's no way we know each other. Creeper!

Eww. I really hate FB poking in general. WTH is a poke supposed to mean anyway? It's either weird, full of innuendo, or... did I already say weird?

Sam
04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Idk what it's supposed to mean! Especially coming from a random stranger, especially when I hardly comment on the singers personal page. I tend to "like" almost all of the band page's stuff, but heck,so do hundreds of other people, and I hardly comment. It's like he was creeping the dude's friends list, hopefully poking them all, lol I don't want to think that he singled me out to creep on!

Historia
04-28-2013, 12:15 AM
My husband tells his sister that we have all year to plan the trip and she wants to be here right way, so in two weeks they shall be here. It just occurred to me that when they fly back, neither of them speak English so I'm not sure how they'll get to the gate. Hopefully they'll give my husband a special pass and allow him to escort them to their gates when the time comes. Oh, and even getting off of the plane to the checked luggage area. How will that be managed?

snooch
04-28-2013, 12:29 AM
My husband tells his sister that we have all year to plan the trip and she wants to be here right way, so in two weeks they shall be here. It just occurred to me that when they fly back, neither of them speak English so I'm not sure how they'll get to the gate. Hopefully they'll give my husband a special pass and allow him to escort them to their gates when the time comes. Oh, and even getting off of the plane to the checked luggage area. How will that be managed?

Coming in, they'll give instructions in both languages, and there will be someone at the gate they come in to that can help them in their native language too. Leaving might be a little trickier... maybe you guys can write some key phrases for them on pieces of paper that they can pull out and give to airport workers in a pinch.

Historia
04-28-2013, 09:32 AM
The key phrases thing sounds good, but hopefully it won't be necessary and they'll let my husband accompany them to their gates. I especially hope they let him with his mother.

GM
04-28-2013, 10:49 AM
The key phrases thing sounds good, but hopefully it won't be necessary and they'll let my husband accompany them to their gates. I especially hope they let him with his mother.

I doubt they'll let him go with your MIL unless he has a ticket. We;ve had similar issues and just hoped they made it through. You could call the airline and ask...

Sam
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I had the most traumatic dream last night! I dreamed that I was giving birth to a baby, but the baby was sideways and I kept telling them he was sideways, and that I needed a c section and they kept telling me that I couldn't have one, I could only deliver naturally. Not to mention no one could get ahold of dh and the only person there with me was my brother. I was in so much pain. Ugh. Terrible dream.

Ramura
04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
When I flew for the first time, they let my mom go with me to the gate. (I was flying alone) That was six years ago, so of course policies could have changed since then. But I also had no real reason to need my mom, we actually didn't even ask for it. The lady just offered when she found out it was my first time. Hopefully, with a real legitimate concern like a language barrier, they'd be willing to make a similar concession. :)

Jolinar
04-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Normally they have employees to help you through if you have a language issue. They don't let you past a certain point without a ticket\security check etc anymore.

katzankatz
04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Picked up music for my son at church today. The kids will be joining the "big peoples orchestra" in a couple weeks. Love that!

Christina
04-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Sam, hope you are feeling better!

Virginia
04-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, time to go church shopping again...

Historia
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Facebook is weird. In a good way, sort of, tonight. I can't find quite a few people on there that I would like to find, but tonight I decided to look up my former foster parents and their (biological) children. All of them (including a girl that apparently was born after I left their home) except the father have Facebook profiles. They all seem to be doing well from the little I saw on their profiles, which is nice. I'm happy for them.

Sam
04-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Searching through the Indian rolls takes some dang commitment!

Sam
04-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Sam, hope you are feeling better!

I am, thanks! It was just one of those awful realistic dreams. I was still mad at Dh for not being there lol.

Hope
04-28-2013, 11:06 PM
I really hope this week at work is better than last week.

GM
04-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I really hope this week at work is better than last week.

me too!

Sage
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
I did it! 4.0! :banana:

Kehaar
04-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Doing housework to the Man Of Steel trailer music makes the whole thing seem rather epic.

katzankatz
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
We're going to a Brewer game in 2 days with a group of students, parents, and teachers from the online school our DD is attending. She is very excited to be able to meet 2 of her teachers face-to-face! We need to go shopping for some Brewer gear today so that we can be TRUE fans!

purple
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Have I done something wrong???

GM
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
I want to lay out today but all my neighbors have their yard workers doing work and I'm not in the mood to give a free show :P

purple
04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I want to lay out today but all my neighbors have their yard workers doing work and I'm not in the mood to give a free show :P

Wish we had weather to be able to even want to lay out...

GM
04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Wish we had weather to be able to even want to lay out...

I got 45 minutes in :) It's 90 degrees... a bit too hot for me. I can take this in the summer but it's too hot for spring. :lalala:

katzankatz
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Just phoned in an order for a refill on one of my meds. 3 doses, one per month. A total of 150 ml of actual drug. $7,500!!! Thankfully, with insurrance and and copay assistance, I only have to pay $15 of that. I'm always just floored at the cost of healthcare and medication. And this is one of the older "cheaper" drugs in that class.

Mrs_B
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow! That is crazy expensive!

I've decided that I'm not going to exclusively breastfeed anymore. I'd already been giving him some bottles of formula on occasion and I just don't like breastfeeding. I always thought it'd be some magical experience for the two of us, but I really just don't like it. The only thing I like is that it's free and fast. I plan to nurse a few times throughout the day, but his main source of food will be formula. Happy mommy=happy family. :)

Xinnamon
04-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I am shopping way too much on Fab.com.. they have the cutest stuff!

Jolinar
04-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I will not water grass. Ever. Even when I had a set water fee [water & trash fee as part of our rent] I didn't water the grass. The fact we use so much clean DRINKABLE water in this country on something we can't eat - not to mention all the chemicals people spray on it to keep it alive. Is completely insane.

Virginia
04-30-2013, 12:13 AM
I have big feelings about certain issues, and that's making it hard to look for a church home right now...

Hope
04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
What a funny, weird, interesting day. Challenging in a positive way. I have visions of my inbox being stacked to the ceiling by morning, though. The lull is definitely over. Yay! :)

purple
04-30-2013, 02:57 AM
The sun is shining!!!!!
It's windy and probably barely hitting double figures for us (centigrade) but its sunny and th sun is coming through my bedroom window onto my legs and its wonderful!!!!
I think it's going to be stunning in the conservatory today... Better get my housework done early so I can chill and put together artwork later!!!
Is spring actually coming???

tiredwalker
04-30-2013, 08:13 AM
I am so proud of my parents! I sent them a link to watch Forks over Knives, they watched it, and have completely switched over to a plant based diet (vegan). Before they watched, they thought I was doing all of this for political/ethical/crazy liberal girl reasons and now they get it....and even adopted it! My mom really needs to lose weight, my dad has so many health problems (cholesterol, gout, kidney stones, fatty liver, and even cancer in the past), and this could alleviate so much of that. It's not a miracle cure, but it's so much healthier! YAY!

Sam
04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Cool TW!

Christina
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
GORGEOUS day here. And I'm sitting on my butt. Thankfully it will be really nice for a couple of weeks. I really need to shower and stuff but I'm enjoying just sitting here and listening to worship music while having the windows open lol

Sam
04-30-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm so mad I had to take a mommy time out. My mom called to ask Cassy what she wanted for her birthday and Cassy was so rude to her! First, she didn't want to talk on the phone at all, she was too involved in playing with the stupid iPad! Then when I finally got her to talk she wouldn't even have a conversation or listen to my mom she just kept saying "alright, bye!"
I was fuming. There is no way I will allow my child to treat anyone like that, especially when they just want to know what to get HER for HER birthday! I honestly wanted to tell my mom just not to get her anything if she is going to act like that, but I know my parents would never go for that! (Oh, they would if it was ME, lol but not their grandchild) When we got off the phone I told Cassy I better not ever see her do something like that again, and if someone calls to talk to you, you take the call and you listen and you be polite and NICE, not just try to get off the phone. and I told her what my mom was trying to ask her.

She seems to feel really bad about it so I hope she learns her lesson. She is not a rude kid, so that's probably what makes it worse. But I want to make sure she does not act like this again.

mina
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I think you do such a great job with her , Sam! Good for you for addressing it right away.

Sam
04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I honestly don't know what to do about it if it continues, but rudeness is something that I will not put up with. I told her that if it ever happens again she will not get the iPad back, but honestly, IDK if that is the right answer because using the iPad is something she has to earn, so I don't want to take it back if she's earned it, ya know? Hopefully this wont happen again though, lol I will just pray for that!

GM
04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm so mad I had to take a mommy time out. My mom called to ask Cassy what she wanted for her birthday and Cassy was so rude to her! First, she didn't want to talk on the phone at all, she was too involved in playing with the stupid iPad! Then when I finally got her to talk she wouldn't even have a conversation or listen to my mom she just kept saying "alright, bye!"
I was fuming. There is no way I will allow my child to treat anyone like that, especially when they just want to know what to get HER for HER birthday! I honestly wanted to tell my mom just not to get her anything if she is going to act like that, but I know my parents would never go for that! (Oh, they would if it was ME, lol but not their grandchild) When we got off the phone I told Cassy I better not ever see her do something like that again, and if someone calls to talk to you, you take the call and you listen and you be polite and NICE, not just try to get off the phone. and I told her what my mom was trying to ask her.

She seems to feel really bad about it so I hope she learns her lesson. She is not a rude kid, so that's probably what makes it worse. But I want to make sure she does not act like this again.]

There's your answer. I'm sure if she wasn't playing with the ipad she would've been more willing to talk. I've noticed the boys aren't willing to talk on the phone when they have an electronic device in front of them :)

ETA: Totally not blaming you for it and my guess is this isn't the norm for Cassy but I've learned that when my kiddos have the electronic 'toys' their attitudes and behavior change :(

GM
04-30-2013, 12:10 PM
The sun is shining!!!!!
It's windy and probably barely hitting double figures for us (centigrade) but its sunny and th sun is coming through my bedroom window onto my legs and its wonderful!!!!
I think it's going to be stunning in the conservatory today... Better get my housework done early so I can chill and put together artwork later!!!
Is spring actually coming???

I sent it your way :P:horn:

Jolinar
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
My son gets such an attitude when he has too much screen time! Some days I'm like no TV, no games...go find toys or read a book. I even banned screens for 2 weeks at one point because of his attitude and behavior.

I recently took a gift back I'd given my son because he was so rude and ungrateful and wouldn't let him have it. That stops right here, Mister. He still reminds me of it. I'm so horrible.

Sam
04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah I don't let her have much screen time, and the iPad thing, like I said its something she has to earn, by getting all her stickers (she gets stickers for chores, behavior, etc) and so she's allowed a little bit. I told her next time someone calls if she is on the iPad she must put it down and devote 100% attention to the person on the other end, or she will lose the iPad.
I don't want to banish the iPad from her because it is useful and electronics are part of life these days but I guess I just need to make sure she can take it or leave it, not get too caught up in it.

Jolinar
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
It is hard finding a balance. We also use video games and computer time as a reward because it's a great motivation and they will have to be very computer literate as they get older.

katzankatz
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
In our house the adults are the ones who get ADD when the electronics are on. I don't have to set limits for the kids, but I do for myself! Half an hour of a video game and they are done. Me, I could sit for 3 hours and play games online if I let myself.

purple
04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
I think even if iPad time is earnt it can still be taken away else she will learn that once she earnt time with it she can then act how she likes and still get to keep that time.

If you earn something it can still be taken away...

Sam
04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
That's a good point Purple.

Sam
04-30-2013, 03:39 PM
It is hard finding a balance. We also use video games and computer time as a reward because it's a great motivation and they will have to be very computer literate as they get older.

That's the thing, too. My niece is 17 and not computer literate at all, I keep telling her she really needs to learn. Cassy has some educational games on there too that have really helped her. I think I am just going to take it away the next time it happens because she does need to learn that just because she has earned something, she still needs to mind her manners.
She's redeemed herself somewhat today lol because we went to see my friend with a new baby and I had already briefed her not to ask to hold the baby, to mind her manners, etc. and she didn't great job over there.

Virginia
05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes, she's definitely going to need to be technology literate! :)
It sounds like teaching her how to put down the iPad and devote her attention to something else is a great idea! That's definitely setting her up for success later in life... a lot of ADULTS don't know how to put down their stinkin' smartphones and engage in a conversation with someone, so teaching her those skils now is such an awesome idea :) You rock!

katzankatz
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Seems wrong to be drinking hot tea on this warm morning. But I don't have the patience to chill it into iced tea. And it's peppermint. That makes it a wash, I think.

Jolinar
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Maybe you could talk to her about why you are upset, why it was rude and maybe have her call Grandma to say she's sorry for not giving her her full attention. Less about the iPad and more about you may have hurt Grandma's feelings how can we fix that.

Sam
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I wanted to have her call back and apologize, but my mom was at work and she was on break and can't have her cell phone any other time. This morning I was on the phone with my best friend and Cassy talked to her and was very polite and had a conversation with her and even used ma'am (that's something she forgets easily) so I think our talk made a difference yesterday. The good news though, is since Cassy wouldn't tell her what she wanted, I told her to get her art supplies, and my mom called this morning to tell me she got her a monster high art kit with a sketch book and markers and crayons. I'm like "yay! A few less toys I have to deal with!" Lol ok I know that's wrong. :P

Sam
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Seems wrong to be drinking hot tea on this warm morning. But I don't have the patience to chill it into iced tea. And it's peppermint. That makes it a wash, I think.

Old people around here always say drinking hot tea and coffee when it's hot keeps you cooler. I do NOT see how because in the summer one or two cups makes me feel like I'm going to die lol, but lots of people swear by it. My grandpa would drink hot coffee all day long, even on 100 degree days!

scarygothgirl
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I handed in my dissertation! Yay!

felinity
05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Old people around here always say drinking hot tea and coffee when it's hot keeps you cooler. I do NOT see how because in the summer one or two cups makes me feel like I'm going to die lol, but lots of people swear by it. My grandpa would drink hot coffee all day long, even on 100 degree days!

My grandma always says this! Drinking hot things does make you sweat, which can cause some evaporative cooling, but I definitely think drinking something cold cools you off better. :)

I suspect she just likes drinking her coffee.

Sam
05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
My grandma always says this! Drinking hot things does make you sweat, which can cause some evaporative cooling, but I definitely think drinking something cold cools you off better. :)

I suspect she just likes drinking her coffee.

Right, and you know, before we had air conditioning, they probably had to do stuff like that to keep cool on the super hot days. Lol but I like to drink my coffee on the front porch and with the sun beating down in the summer lol it gets HOT :P but my Papa said they only got ice on the weekends, so drinking iced tea to cool off like we do wasn't an option either.

Jolinar
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
No, I was not raised Christian. It doesn't mean we were immoral heathens hell bent on ripping the heads off kittens.

Sage
05-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Coffee's not working today :O

purple
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Just booked my flights for my trip to America in June... After I paid it asked me if I'd like to upgrade to first class.... $9100

Ummmmmmmmmmm, no thanks!

purple
05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I saw a programme on the whole drinking a hot drink to cool off thing... Apparently if you are hot and then have drink a hot drink, your body automatically goes into 'cool down' mode to counteract the extra heat you have drunk...

scarygothgirl
05-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Where I am we would never dream of referring to peppermint tea or iced tea just as 'tea'. Tea is a very specific drink, anything else is just an infusion. Lol.

Christina
05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Trying not to get too excited...BUT...there is a possibility hubby will be moving his store. I'm the driving force behind it. He's needed to move for a couple of years...and now it's gotten worse than ever. He has too much stuff, too little space, and he can't get rid of anything he has now. He's expanded...this is a GOOD problem to have! I found a place...I looked at it today. At first he was really against it...but he's thinking more positively today especially after looking at it. It really would be the perfect place for him. We could either buy the place out, as it is not expensive at all, or we could rent. If we bought it out, it is a two-store front place...and there is already a tenant in the one side. AND she is a Christian...and has a salon named Giovanni's, which means gift from God...which is why she named it that. I met her today and she is super, super nice, connected with her like crazy, and she would be a fabulous tenant and neighbor. I'm so excited...but trying to keep it under wraps!!

Jolinar
05-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I now know why that guy was confused - moms who pick up their kids at my son's school wear semi transparent tights\leggings as pants.

Hope
05-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I've had a discouraging couple of months at work, but today my boss called me into his office especially to introduce me to a personal friend of his and while I stood there, told her all the reasons they're glad they hired me and how I fit right in and they barely had to train me and I'm "part of the family." Dude. :D What a difference a little over-the-top embarrassing praise can make! :P

katzankatz
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Where I am we would never dream of referring to peppermint tea or iced tea just as 'tea'. Tea is a very specific drink, anything else is just an infusion. Lol.Yeah, I'm kind of a stickler for correct words. I wanted to call it peppermint infusion, but I'm not sure most people would know what that is.:) This is definitely a 100% infusion, no real tea in it at all.

Jolinar
05-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I wish E's teacher wouldn't make religious comments at school. Tonight's dinner discussion is why I don't believe the Bible supports the idea people become angels when they die. Although since I wasn't raised Christian I think it's awesome to be able to have these conversations with him and know he is getting a foundation in our beliefs.

katzankatz
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Good day at the Brewer game even though they lost. Headache went nauseatingly bad to just annoying. Had some great stadium food. DD met 3 of her teachers face-to-face. And it was WARM and sunny!

Now it is ice cold ouside again. Seriously, this weather is bipolar. It was over 80° at the ballpark this afternoon. Now it's 50°.

Sam
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
An old friend posted on fb that she wants impossible things to happen. Idk what is going on but I want to tell her that God specializes in the impossible, and that I've had so many doors shut in my face and when I thought that my miracles would never happen they did, just like that.

But, idk the situation and I know sometimes people saying things like that just make it worse.

katzankatz
05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Really, Minnesota? Snow??? Still? They got 8 inches and a snow day in Northfield. Ridiculous!

purple
05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of a stickler for correct words. I wanted to call it peppermint infusion, but I'm not sure most people would know what that is.:) This is definitely a 100% infusion, no real tea in it at all.

There is definitely such a thing as 'peppermint tea' I have it all the time...

Sam
05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I really need to wash the Booboo dog but I just cleaned the whole house and that little dog goes crazy when he gets a bath! Oh well, it needs to be done.

Jolinar
05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
DS school is K-6 doesn't it make sense since they have 2 lunches that they keep the older kids and younger kids separate? DS got yelled at by a 6th grader at lunch today and she made him spill his broccoli. :( Calling the school tomorrow.

katzankatz
05-02-2013, 09:06 PM
There is definitely such a thing as 'peppermint tea' I have it all the time...

I have peppermint infusion that 100% peppermint leaves, and I also have peppermint tea which is green tea with peppermint leaves mixed in. The 100% peppermint is what I have been drinking.

I made some cold tea to drink because it has been really warm here. Now that the weather cooled back down to 45 degrees I want it hot again.

Stupid weather.

katzankatz
05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I vacuumed up the world's largest centipede today. Very revolting. OK, I take back what I like to say about there being no big bugs around here. That thing was UGLY.

Sam
05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I want to make this tutu bed skirt for Cassy, but I don't like how she did it on the tutorial. She put a fitted bed sheet on the box spring and cut holes in the sheet and knotted the strips of tulle through the sheet. I think I'd rather get a long piece of elastic and tie the strips to the elastic, then secure it with Velcro on the mattress. Besides, Cassy's bed doesn't have a box spring, and it would be much easier to take on and off. But, also, she used 20 yards of tulle! :faint: is tulle expensive, anyone know? I've never bought it before.

Jolinar
05-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Our over 100 year old house gets centipedes and pill bugs. Eww!

felinity
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Tulle isn't super expensive - depends on the quality and width you're looking for, though. You can find it online pretty cheap, or any craft/fabric store should have some.

Eta: check this out: 25 yards for $3. http://www.amazon.com/Tulle-Spool-Paris-Pink-The/dp/B004GV6Z30/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1367547140&sr=1-1

Eta2: although if the tutorial has you cutting tulle strips, you'll need more than 25 yards at 6" wide.

Sam
05-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Well, the good thing is that my grandma sent me 3 yards of it cuz she figured I could do something with it (was already planning this lol) and it really only needs to cover 2 sides of her bed since its in a corner. I might end up buying that spool. Can't beat the price at all!
Eta: just bought it! :P
Eta 2 lol: if it's not enough ill just order some more but I really think that should do it for one short and one long side of her bed.

katzankatz
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
My one wish came true. I woke up this morning having slept all night, and NOT all drenched in sweat. First time in weeks. It was awesome.

Jolinar
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm so glad we got DD's wheelchair Transport Ready even if she doesn't need it yet for school. Now the kids and I can take the city bus places. :)

Mrs_B
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm trying to get all of our stuff together for a day trip tomorrow and I cannot find one particular thing. I think it's going to drive me nuts!

GM
05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
*******FROZEN PIZZA RECALL************

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57582792/frozen-pizza-recall-digiorno-california-pizza-kitchen-products-affected/

katzankatz
05-03-2013, 02:44 PM
DS's drum line did poorly today, which was not one bit surprising due to one kid having a horrible attitude about the whole thing. Group projects have their place and all that, but too often kids get burned.

Mrs_B
05-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Well, I found what I was looking for, but I'm still procrastinating on getting stuff done. I wish DS would stay awake just a little bit longer between naps. I really need to hit the grocery store, but I'd like to go to the park too. Doubt that will happen before we need to be home for nap again.

katzankatz
05-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Let me tell ya, it's cold in my house. Last checked it was 61°. But at this point, I am so sick of needing to turn on the heat. It's not unusual to need a little heat on May 3rd, but the heat has been on since October! It's time to turn the darn thing off!!!

Gosh, I sure hope summer lands on a Saturday this year!

Historia
05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I've decided that if my son complains that his birthday is so close to Christmas, that I'll tell him that I often have to share my birthday with Mother's Day so maybe we're even. Ok, not really. I get that his birthday is much more unfortunate than mine. This year will be so weird. My MIL will have just gotten here on Mother's Day but they don't celebrate it in China. So, she'll get something like an unspoken Mother's Day gift (being able to spend time with her son and grandson). Part of me is a little bummed that this means we won't be doing anything for me for my very first Mother's Day, but I guess that's okay. I wanted to get a smartphone and my husband has wanted me to have one for awhile now, so that will be my gift. I was hoping for a card, but he seems to think Mother's Day is dumb, maybe because he didn't grow up with it or maybe just because he's a guy. Well, not dumb, but something that he shouldn't have to do anything for since he's the husband and not my son.

Jolinar
05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
DS is born a week before Halloween and may very well share his birthday with a sibling as I'm due 8 days after his 7th birthday.

katzankatz
05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
My daughter is a Thanksgiving baby, and it has fallen on her birthday twice. We've always made made it into a special thing to share a birthday with a major holiday. As a 15 year old, she still has a good attitude about it.

katzankatz
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
My one wish came true. I woke up this morning having slept all night, and NOT all drenched in sweat. First time in weeks. It was awesome.

And you know what I just realized... I ran out of the medication that my doc suspects is causing the sweating. I forgot to run to Walgreens and therefore did not take the medicine at all yesterday. No medicine - no sweating. :sigh: Guess it looks like we've found the cause.

GM
05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I've decided that if my son complains that his birthday is so close to Christmas, that I'll tell him that I often have to share my birthday with Mother's Day so maybe we're even. Ok, not really. I get that his birthday is much more unfortunate than mine. This year will be so weird. My MIL will have just gotten here on Mother's Day but they don't celebrate it in China. So, she'll get something like an unspoken Mother's Day gift (being able to spend time with her son and grandson). Part of me is a little bummed that this means we won't be doing anything for me for my very first Mother's Day, but I guess that's okay. I wanted to get a smartphone and my husband has wanted me to have one for awhile now, so that will be my gift. I was hoping for a card, but he seems to think Mother's Day is dumb, maybe because he didn't grow up with it or maybe just because he's a guy. Well, not dumb, but something that he shouldn't have to do anything for since he's the husband and not my son.

My friend was born in December but celebrates in June. Actually, most of her friends think her birthday is actually in June :P

Mrs_B
05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Time to empty the memory card, over 1000 pictures and videos since DS was born. :)

Historia
05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
My friend was born in December but celebrates in June. Actually, most of her friends think her birthday is actually in June :P

That's funny, I actually thought that we could celebrate his half-birthday in June instead, if he doesn't like having a December birthday. :D

Sam
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
My baby girl is 4 now. :) We baby sat my friends 9wk old baby and she did so well. That baby just loved her. She could look at her and grin, and if she was crying and caught sight of Cassy or heard her, she would stop lol. It was so cute.

katzankatz
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I haven't gotten out of bed yet. It feels so good to lie here, another morning NOT drenched in sweat, someone else taking care of doggie. Just lying here thinking up today's plans. I'm thinking it might take forever to clean the kitchen ...ughhhh.

Christina
05-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Another gorgeous day today...feels earlier than it is sadly lol but that's because I didn't get out of work until about 1am. I was planning on going to bed at midnight. Meds didn't settle till 2:30 and the rest is history lol but getting lots done today. So beautiful.

purple
05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Went for a bike ride with DH today!!! Was fun, but my bum hurts... Well, technically it's not actually my 'bum' but yea!

GM
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Amazing weather! I love it!!!!! Have my tankini on, outside gardening and reading and having lemonade. This is why I live here :P

katzankatz
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
This Taco Bell by our house - it's close by, it's immaculate inside, the people are very friendly and smile a lot, give you free food sometimes... But they are soooo stinking sloooow, and they screw up your order a lot. So today I went through the drive through. Came home and discovered one item missing. I was so mad! This is not the first time. Usually I just suck it up and go without, but today I was mad enough to go back over there. They were sooo very nice and gave us free nachos for our inconvenience.:high5:

You just can't stay mad at these people.

GM
05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
This Taco Bell by our house - it's close by, it's immaculate inside, the people are very friendly and smile a lot, give you free food sometimes... But they are soooo stinking sloooow, and they screw up your order a lot. So today I went through the drive through. Came home and discovered one item missing. I was so mad! This is not the first time. Usually I just suck it up and go without, but today I was mad enough to go back over there. They were sooo very nice and gave us free nachos for our inconvenience.:high5:

You just can't stay mad at these people.

I haven't had TB in years! Now I want some. I crave it when ppl talk about it :P

purple
05-04-2013, 04:43 PM
I've never had Taco Bell... Gonna have to look up what they do... Apart from it being tacos...

snooch
05-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I've never had Taco Bell... Gonna have to look up what they do... Apart from it being tacos...

When you're in Virginia, you have to check it out. I love their beef burrito supreme :D

(When you're in Texas, there will be much better Tex Mex for you to try :P)

Hope
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
We just spent an amazing half-day on the beach. It was so sunny and warm - it felt like August! Or at least it did until I got my feet in the water. :) We were there by 9 this morning so we had a couple of hours of very peaceful beach before everyone else showed up. Perfection.

katzankatz
05-04-2013, 08:13 PM
I was thinking I might like to go back and start this day over. Now I'm thinking I might change my mind. I think it is still salvageable:P

Still have to finish cleaning kitchen, scrub shower/bath, fold 2 baskets of laundry, and maybe walk doggie.

felinity
05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
(When you're in Texas, there will be much better Tex Mex for you to try :P)

Goodness, yes!

Sam
05-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Dude I'm gonna be feeling all those flips in the morning.

Jolinar
05-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Finding out Brontosaurus never existed and they are actually Apatosaurus makes me sad. Like when they decided Pluto isn't really a planet.

GM
05-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Finding out Brontosaurus never existed and they are actually Apatosaurus makes me sad. Like when they decided Pluto isn't really a planet.

:(

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/i-miss-you-guys-pluto.jpg

snooch
05-05-2013, 01:47 AM
:(

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/i-miss-you-guys-pluto.jpg

This just made me feel really, really bad for Pluto :(

Jolinar
05-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Awwww poor Pluto!!

GM
05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
This just made me feel really, really bad for Pluto :(

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/f4d/0a2/8fc/resized/pluto-meme-generator-you-heard-about-pluto-that-s-messed-up-right-405ceb.jpg?1344523253.jpg

Historia
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I feel like my son gave my eye color a trial run and decided that he preferred his babba/father's eyes instead. They were looking exactly like mine (gold ring surrounded by bluish-green), then the gold ring turned brown a couple of days ago, and now the whole thing looks brown. I'm guessing the shade of brown is still going to change, but that they'll end up staying brown. I'm not surprised by that since I expected them to be brown, but I was surprised they looked exactly like mine for a few weeks.

Sam
05-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Cassy does not have her ears pierced, it's something we just did not want to do when she was a baby. Well, my brother and SIL had my nieces done when she was like 5 or 6 months old, and they keep picking on us about it. For her bday they got her some clip on earrings that look just like the real thing, and when dh first saw the, you could see his face turn red with anger! Lol it was awesome. Then my brother said he's always wanted to tell Cassy when she asks to have them pierced (which she does all the time) to say "but daddy, both your ears are pierced!" Lol! He's so mean.

purple
05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
^^ I've never been a fan of babies with pierced ears...

RT - it's almost time for my hair to be done! So excited!!! Will get photos up as soon as I can!!!

Sam
05-06-2013, 09:52 AM
^^ I've never been a fan of babies with pierced ears...

RT - it's almost time for my hair to be done! So excited!!! Will get photos up as soon as I can!!!

The whole idea was to let her ask for them when she wanted them, but dh wasn't prepared for her to ask when she was 3 lol. I do think it's cute that my 6 year old niece can wear all kinds of fun and funky earrings now though.

Kehaar
05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
That volume boost shampoo wasn't kidding.

katzankatz
05-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Lots of phone calls for me to make this morning. Well, 3 of them. But to me that's a lot. And 2 of them are to people I've never talked to.

Guess I better get on that.

felinity
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Cassy does not have her ears pierced, it's something we just did not want to do when she was a baby. Well, my brother and SIL had my nieces done when she was like 5 or 6 months old, and they keep picking on us about it. For her bday they got her some clip on earrings that look just like the real thing, and when dh first saw the, you could see his face turn red with anger! Lol it was awesome. Then my brother said he's always wanted to tell Cassy when she asks to have them pierced (which she does all the time) to say "but daddy, both your ears are pierced!" Lol! He's so mean.

We didn't pierce my daughter's ears when she was a baby, either. I had issues with performing unnecessary procedures on my infants. Piercing baby girls' ears is a pretty common thing to do in Mexican-American culture, though, so I've heard a LOT about it from family and otherwise. Too bad, so sad, she can pierce her ears when she's big enough to take care of them. :)

Sam
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
We didn't pierce my daughter's ears when she was a baby, either. I had issues with performing unnecessary procedures on my infants. Piercing baby girls' ears is a pretty common thing to do in Mexican-American culture, though, so I've heard a LOT about it from family and otherwise. Too bad, so sad, she can pierce her ears when she's big enough to take care of them. :)

That's pretty much how we felt about it too. Didn't want to do something like that to her body without her consent, ya know? She may be a baby but it's still her body. And yeah, we are pretty much in the minority with that opinion lol,

katzankatz
05-06-2013, 01:32 PM
My 15 year old still doesn't have pierced ears. Doesn't want them. Not anymore, at least. She begged and pleaded when she was about 8, but I didn't feel she was responsible enough to care for them properly. I was unpopular Mommy. Now she really doesn't want it done, and that's OK with me.

I can't relate. I wanted my ears pierced so bad I would cry about it, dream about it, try to make something realistic-looking to stick on my ears...

Sage
05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't understand the fish lips and sticking out your tongue in every photo.

purple
05-06-2013, 02:20 PM
We have a guinea pig that likes to follow the rabbits around and a rabbit that likes to sit in the guinea pig hutch

scarygothgirl
05-06-2013, 04:00 PM
I never got my ears peirced. My mother kept trying to make me get them done but I never wanted it.

Jolinar
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
We don't see why we should modify the bodies of babies or toddlers for fashion. When She's old enough to ask and care for them I could see getting her ear pierced. No guns. Those things aren't clean.

I went to make dinner and everything I wanted to make required butter and I can't cook meat without onions...so I decided I just couldn't cook.

# Pregnant problems

GM
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
That's pretty much how we felt about it too. Didn't want to do something like that to her body without her consent, ya know? She may be a baby but it's still her body. And yeah, we are pretty much in the minority with that opinion lol,

I still don't have mine pierced :D I almost did it recently but a friend said I shouldn't and that it makes me unique so I didn't :D:highfive:

jelvenko
05-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't understand the fish lips and sticking out your tongue in every photo.

Hey! Its just my way of being unique with my fb profile picture. LOL! (I know this probably wasn't toward me, just had to give you a hard time.) In all reality, I enjoy taking random silly pictures, and the silliness depends on the friends I am with. But some serious pictures are nice as well.

Now that I have completely gone off on a tangent, I'm going to zip it..... At least for a few seconds...............

jelvenko
05-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I still don't have mine pierced :D I almost did it recently but a friend said I shouldn't and that it makes me unique so I didn't :D:highfive:

I didn't get mine done until I was 20. My parents are on the conservative side so we weren't allowed to get our ears pierced growing up. So once I moved out I got mine pierced, I guess as a way to show that I am an adult now and capable of making my own decisions.
That being said, I seldom wear earrings. I do wear them for special occassions, or when I feel like dressing up a little nicer. But overall I don't wear them much. I keep teasing DH that I'm going to get my belly button done, but he knows I'm just kidding.

snooch
05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I got my ears pieced when I was I think 15 or 16, but it wasn't a great job, and after a while I let them close up.

When I was 31, after breaking up with a long-time boyfriend, I got my first tattoo and got my ears pieced again. A year later I got my second tattoo and got a second set of holes in my ears. Eventually, maybe 5 or 6 years later, I let the second holes close, but I never leave the house without earrings on now. I love earrings :D

felinity
05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I think I was around six or seven when I got my ears pierced as a kid. I kept them reasonably healthy with some help from my mom. I got my second holes around 13 or 14. I've also pierced my nose, my navel, and my tragus (ear cartilage). I'm not particularly strict or conservative about this, I don't think - I just didn't want to cause unnecessary pain to my kid, who wasn't able to consent to it. :)

FWIW, I didn't circumcise my son, either, for pretty much the same reason.

purple
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I had my ears done in freshens week at uni. I told some of the girls on my course I'd always wanted them done but was too scared. One of them wanted a second set done so she took me with her and I got them done then!

I got an infection in them after a few years and let them heal over. I had them redone for my wedding but the infection was still in the lobe so I still can't wear earrings for long... Which is a pain since part of my business is making jewellery!!!

GM
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
The Limo story (close to me and a few other CG girls) is so sad and odd and wow :(

Jolinar
05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
I wonder if it could be the wiring from all those lights - those limos get so hot!

Xinnamon
05-06-2013, 09:24 PM
The Limo story (close to me and a few other CG girls) is so sad and odd and wow :(

I just read about it.. it's horrible. :(

mina
05-06-2013, 09:46 PM

I don't have mine pierced either. It just grosses me out. The only time I've ever wanted my ears pierced was briefly when I was 13 and for my wedding. But, I didn't get it done and I really don't want to now.

Sam
05-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I think I was around six or seven when I got my ears pierced as a kid. I kept them reasonably healthy with some help from my mom. I got my second holes around 13 or 14. I've also pierced my nose, my navel, and my tragus (ear cartilage). I'm not particularly strict or conservative about this, I don't think - I just didn't want to cause unnecessary pain to my kid, who wasn't able to consent to it. :)

FWIW, I didn't circumcise my son, either, for pretty much the same reason.

It's so funny how completely different we are politically but so on the same page everywhere else lol. I have my ear loves pierced twice, was 3 times but I got really sick after and had to take them out.mthen on one ear I have the middle pierced and on the other I have the top done. I always wanted to do my tragus but was too chicken lol. I've had my navel done twice and have 3 tattoos. So it's not the body modification I'm against, just that it's her body, her choice. If I'd had a boy I would have let dh make the circumcision decision.

GM
05-06-2013, 11:34 PM
I just read about it.. it's horrible. :(

right? :(

felinity
05-06-2013, 11:40 PM
It's so funny how completely different we are politically but so on the same page everywhere else lol. I have my ear loves pierced twice, was 3 times but I got really sick after and had to take them out.mthen on one ear I have the middle pierced and on the other I have the top done. I always wanted to do my tragus but was too chicken lol. I've had my navel done twice and have 3 tattoos. So it's not the body modification I'm against, just that it's her body, her choice. If I'd had a boy I would have let dh make the circumcision decision.

The tragus was easy-peasy. Probably the easiest piercing I ever healed. :) I took it out for my c-section and never put it back in. Just as well, as my kiddos would totally yank on it.

I did let my husband make the circ decision, but ultimately, we were on the same page.

And, see? I'm cool, even if I am your friendly neighborhood liberal. ;) Variety is the spice of life.

~Kellee~
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM

I was reading about it today and it's just awful :(

Hope
05-07-2013, 12:28 AM

I know. What a horrible thing to happen. :(

katzankatz
05-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Nightime fears are so much worse than the same fears - or non-fears - in the daytime. I have some congestion in my throat/back sinuses. I kept needing to clear my throat last night. All night long I kept waking up to clear my throat, then I would lie there and worry that I might aspirate into my lungs and not be able to breathe. Or wouldn't be able to swallow, and then start panicking It was getting to the point I was seriously thinking about trying to sleep more upright in the recliner. The whole night was awful, and I'm so tired today.

It seems ridiculous now. And why did it not occur to me to maybe take something, use some of that peppermint oil I always swear by when I am congested? I just don't think rationally at night when I'm supposed to be sleeping.

Sam
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
2 rt's:
1. It's obvious that girly girlness is not something you can teach lol I am NOT a girly girl by any means but my daughter sure is!
2. Having Cassy clean her room and organize her toys every day at the same time has resulted in my daughter wanting to do these things without being asked. Can I get a hallelujah?

felinity
05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
2 rt's:
1. It's obvious that girly girlness is not something you can teach lol I am NOT a girly girl by any means but my daughter sure is!
2. Having Cassy clean her room and organize her toys every day at the same time has resulted in my daughter wanting to do these things without being asked. Can I get a hallelujah?

I didn't mind girly things when I was a kid, but I'm a jeans-and-t-shirt girl now. My girly-girl is all about the tutus and the leopard-skin velvet, and at 18 months, she has opinions about what to wear! Yeah, I've got no idea where that came from, either. (My little boy is all about the tutus, as well, haha!)

Please, oh please, let me get kids who will organize their things willingly! Unfortunately, I'm not a very good housekeeper, so they may not see it modeled very well.

Jolinar
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Opened the windows letting the breeze in, doing some laundry, changed around the kids room & now more dishes and an early dinner to be made. I will make this a good day. You haven't won pain. Not today!

Historia
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Maybe it's because I was a history major, but it always irks me when people get all rosy-eyed over the '50s and say what a great time it was and how it was so much better then. Really? I suppose for white, middle class men, maybe. There was no such thing (legally) as marital rape then. Child abuse was just discipline. Women could not financially exist without their husbands (no credit cards or anything like that without their husband's permission). Domestic violence didn't exist either (legally) and people just pretended not to notice signs of abuse or assumed that it was deserved. Oh, and could I have married a Chinese man in the '50s? I'm not sure. Probably depended on where I lived. I could go on and on. Maybe this makes me a party pooper and I should just let people have their love of the '50s, but when they say it was better during that time, I go a little ranty.

Jolinar
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Even in the 80s my mother would get so angry trying to pay the CC bill and they'd want to speak to my Dad for permission!

Sam
05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I didn't mind girly things when I was a kid, but I'm a jeans-and-t-shirt girl now. My girly-girl is all about the tutus and the leopard-skin velvet, and at 18 months, she has opinions about what to wear! Yeah, I've got no idea where that came from, either. (My little boy is all about the tutus, as well, haha!)

Please, oh please, let me get kids who will organize their things willingly! Unfortunately, I'm not a very good housekeeper, so they may not see it modeled very well.

I'm totally not a good housekeeper either. It's just my Dh's OCD that I've had to adapt to. I'm the least organized person on the planet, which is why I want to work with Cassy at her early age and make it just a natural habit to do. I would totally do the minimalist lifestyle if I could, because there would be less to have to worry about organizing lol and I think Cassy would do well with that lifestyle also, but dh will not go for it at all. Lol you would think he would since he hates clutter but he has "stuffitis" at the same time. I will never understand his OCD lol.

tiredwalker
05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm totally not a good housekeeper either. It's just my Dh's OCD that I've had to adapt to. I'm the least organized person on the planet, which is why I want to work with Cassy at her early age and make it just a natural habit to do. I would totally do the minimalist lifestyle if I could, because there would be less to have to worry about organizing lol and I think Cassy would do well with that lifestyle also, but dh will not go for it at all. Lol you would think he would since he hates clutter but he has "stuffitis" at the same time. I will never understand his OCD lol.

This is awesome. I'm not a good housekeeper either. When I watch all 5 of the kids, I have them to clean up time when we transition from activities. At first they protested, but then they totally started going along with it, and they do a great job. Kids rock.

Sam
05-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah, with 5 under one roof if you didn't get them to clean up you'd never get anything done! I've had Cassy pick up her toys since she started walking real well and worked my way up from there. Now she makes her bed, puts up her own laundry, cleans her room and lately we've really been purging her toys and she's been all to happy to throw or give a lot of toys away. Now that we have her room categorized and organized she really likes it and really wants to keep it clean.
I've learned a lot along the way, like her sticker book, I write down her daily goals and when she completes them she gets a check mark by it and a sticker for it. If she doesn't get something done, she gets an x and no sticker. I've only had to give her an x once and it bothered her so much, it was hard to let her have that disappointment but she did learn from it. I've also learned that, Ike us, they have their days where they just can't get started or they just reach a brick wall and it's ok to let the, step away for some fresh air and take a break. And of course, things won't be perfect but with time, repetition and persistence it gets much better!

katzankatz
05-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Sat looking for crafting inspiration for quite a while tonight. I had the idea, but needed some details. Now that I've got the details, I'm ready to call it a night.

Christina
05-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I work with 5 kids and they are so ridiculously messy, and their parents are too. So you can imagine what their house looks like. No one does housework. Laundry is up to my boobs (literally) in a hallway. Trash overflows, dishes overflow, and no one knows how to lift a finger. Holy mess! Don't y'all feel too bad! The 5 kids run rampant and I've tried getting them to clean up, and they just lay down on the floor and throw a fake fit then go and get their ipad/DS/computer/TV and if I dare try to take it away from them it is the fight of the century. Y'all are doing JUST fine with housework LOL

Jolinar
05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
I found that getting rid of the clutter has been so helpful. Now with so much less stuff [threw out or donated a lot plus basement storage] that the house is so much easier to keep clean. My bedroom becomes a catch all though.

The kids have to clean up the toys every night before bed - well E I try to get L to help and we're consistent with asking her to use her words and helping her sign. We will walk her through a task. She can help us tidy up the blocks if we sing the tidy up song. I don't know how I'll keep up with three but we'll see.

purple
05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
My nephew is 16 months and we get him to help tidy up!

snooch
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I've got all my Flat Stanley pictures, but I'm struggling to put together the return letter. I don't know how to talk to 3rd graders!

purple
05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
^^ Short factual sentences, little words.

snooch
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
^^ Short factual sentences, little words.

I think I took too many pictures. The letter's going to be too long :/

katzankatz
05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
My son is joining me at orchestra rehearsal tonight. He will get to observe and play with the best percussionist I personally know. He's not exactly excited about this, but I sure am:D