PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Housekeeping Thread

snooch
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
New year, new thread :D

Monday, it's back to work for my husband and me, and I have big plans to clean this place from top to bottom!

Virginia
01-02-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm not feeling well today...I was supposed to go into the school for a few hours to make copies and prepare for Monday, but I'm folding laundry instead ;)

Thanks for starting a new thread, Snooch!

BelovedDaughter
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Once DH gets out of bed, I plan to get laundry started and put up the mountain of clothing that is sitting on my washer and dryer.

Gillian
01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi All,

Snooch, I'm sure you'll have your house looking as good as new when you return to work.

Virginia, I hope you'll be feeling better soon and you can catch up on what you couldn't do today.

Beloved Daughter, I hope you get at least some of your laundry done!

I'm still trying to tidy up after Christmas. We didn't exactly get the house super tidy for the big day, so there's even more tidying to do now.

Wishing everyone a blessed New Year.

Gillian

snooch
01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks Gillian, happy new year to you as well!

spiersdodgerblue
01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
New year, new thread :D

Monday, it's back to work for my husband and me, and I have big plans to clean this place from top to bottom! I'm with you on this one!!!

Sage
01-02-2014, 08:11 PM
With the kids gone and being homebound because my car is getting its transmission rebuilt I'm in the middle of a big clean. So far I've gone through the kids' clothes and toys, sorting and organizing as I go. My carpets are supposed to be being cleaned by the LL this weekend so I'm also getting everything but furniture off the floor and vacuuming under everything I can.

mina
01-06-2014, 10:24 AM
I am trying to follow a weekly cleaning schedule. Today is Monday so I shall clean bathrooms!

snooch
01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Trying to get back on track today!

Dinner is in the crock pot
Kitchen counter is cleaned off and de-cluttered

Still going to:
Do dishes
vacuum
move some furniture around, which will involve more decluttering

purple
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I tidied the living room and dining room and cleaned up the kitchen.
We took down both trees as well.
DH has been saying he is going to clean up the conservatory but has yet to do so , if he doesn't do it tomorrow firs thing I'm just going to do it as it's driving me crazy. How he can make such a mess feeding the animals I will never know!

Still to do... The nightmare that is the study but DH did make a start on it and it's an ongoing battle!
The workshop is waiting for DH to go back to work in a fortnight and for us to take a trip to IKEA for more shelving!

mina
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I am trying to follow a weekly cleaning schedule. Today is Monday so I shall clean bathrooms!

master bath and downstairs powder room are spotless! I mopped the hall way bathroom since I brought up the mop for the master, but I only dry my hair in there so it's really not used. I'll clean it once a month.
I have dinner going in the crockpot.
Still to do: clean vaccum filter, and fold laundry.

Tomorrow- Clean bedrooms and organize closets for 10 min. each.

snooch
01-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Trying to get back on track today!

Dinner is in the crock pot
Kitchen counter is cleaned off and de-cluttered

Still going to:
Do dishes
vacuum
move some furniture around, which will involve more decluttering

I've done everything but vacuum! If I don't get to it today, I'll carry it over to tomorrow, which I may want to do anyway since I need to clean the ceiling fans tomorrow and that will just require me to vacuum again anyway.

mina
01-08-2014, 03:57 PM
I cleaned our bedroom yesterday; which was a feat! Now that I'm committed to cleaning in there every week maybe I won't get so overwelmed,,,,,,, I didn't get to the guest room, but it's not really being used at the moment and is pretty clean anyway- maybe a once a month thing.

Today: I cleaned the kitchen and fridge (which I hate to do and it's the worst chore ever to me....) I washed all the "leftover" dishes and ran the dishwasher, wiped down countertops, vacuumed and mopped the floor, put away clean dish towels which had been building up on the table.....I really need to go through the pantry but that can be a next week project.

Virginia
01-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I vacuumed the whole house the other night, which made me feel very accomplished!

Today: I have to work on grading/planning all evening but need to squeeze in time to make dinner and put away laundry :sigh:

snooch
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
My schedule got a little upside-down this week, but I got a lot done today.

* Strip the bed
* Wash the sheets
* Make the bed
* Dust the ceiling fans (ugh ugh ugh I hate that job)
* Straighten up and declutter family room
* Dust family room
* Vacuum house

I still need to empty the dishwasher and load what's in the sink, but that'll be after lunch. :)

blythe_ann
01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
The biggest pro to being minimalist is cleaning time has been cut down. But, the one thing I didn't get rid of that is a lot of work is the dogs. I need to vacuum every room they go into and mop after them on a daily basis. And that is with a biweekly bath and a daily brush!

snooch
01-09-2014, 05:50 PM
The biggest pro to being minimalist is cleaning time has been cut down. But, the one thing I didn't get rid of that is a lot of work is the dogs. I need to vacuum every room they go into and mop after them on a daily basis. And that is with a biweekly bath and a daily brush!

I know what you mean. I should vacuum every day to keep up with her, but I just don't (won't). So once a week, I'm sucking up dog-hair tumbleweeds from our hallway. :behindsofa:

pickle
01-10-2014, 10:07 PM
I still cannot believe how a tiny condo can get so messy! I'm pretty systematic when I clean though. Start with the kitchen/throw laundry in. Next is washing floors in living room. When that part is drying, vacuum and clean bedroom. Once that's done, finish the floor up to the bathroom. While that's drying, clean bathroom. Then, I finish the floors. Still, seems like a ton of work for 900 sq ft!

My laundry is piling up though. I have to get on that tomorrow. I'm running out of hangers, That should be a sign to stop buying clothes!

Gillian
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Hello everyone,

Well done on all the hard work!

We have cleared all signs of Christmas away, apart from some out of reach cards. Still need to do a lot of general tidying around the house.

Blessings,

Gillian

blythe_ann
01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Monday night is cleaning night at our house. During the week, my house remains very clean as I give lessons school nights starting Tuesday. But weekends, when sweat pants and watching movies in the basement seems more fun, the house can be a bit messy. So tonight-- we clean!

snooch
01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
I have a tiny filing cabinet full of 2013 files that I need to clean out, sort, shred, put into envelopes for storage, etc., so I can take the pile of two months' worth of filing on my desk and get it into the filing cabinet. Then I'll be able to see my desk to finish decluttering and cleaning the office area. That's my main project for the day.

Virginia
01-13-2014, 01:11 PM
I won't get home until 9:30 tonight, so I'd be happy if I managed to throw dishes in the sink and prepare ahead for dinner tomorrow... 'tis the season!

GM
01-13-2014, 01:12 PM
I have a tiny filing cabinet full of 2013 files that I need to clean out, sort, shred, put into envelopes for storage, etc., so I can take the pile of two months' worth of filing on my desk and get it into the filing cabinet. Then I'll be able to see my desk to finish decluttering and cleaning the office area. That's my main project for the day.

I have to do that too. I'm so tired of paper!

mina
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I cleaned one bathroom last night and the others today.

Gillian
01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Well done all - you're doing great!

Today I dealt with a pile of paperwork that has been hiding away in a drawer for 6-7 years - some went in the bin, some was filed and some is waiting to be filed, once I purge the filing cabinet.

Keep up the good work, ladies!

Gillian

Virginia
01-21-2014, 09:25 AM
I did two loads of laundry and now have to put the clothes away.

I also need to vacuum, clean the bathroom, and declutter the office (as always...DH just can't do it, lol).

Yay for snow days!

blythe_ann
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Today, I am making my house messy with making yogurt and other once or twice a month food items. But, that's okay. The house always smells awesome when I'm done.

GM
01-21-2014, 01:23 PM
My house was spotless on Thursday. DH has a coworker coming for dinner today so I'm cleaning again. The house was spotless for about 1 hour :P Trying to get it all done before kiddos come home from school and add their 'stuff' to everywhere :P

snooch
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
It's 2014. Why don't we have self-cleaning houses yet?

I've been sick the last few days and I am really behind schedule. Our dog sitter will be here a week from tomorrow and I'm not at the appropriate level of spotless yet. :(

Virginia
01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, now that snow days are over, my house will be a mess again.

blythe_ann
01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
It's amazing what actually folding and putting laundry away the minute it is done does to my house cleaning ego... not to mention it's warm, smells good and I can do it while doing something less productive like watching a TV show or something. If I wasn't environmentally conscious I would do laundry every evening because it's quick... it just seems like such a long job.

mina
01-23-2014, 10:27 PM
hmmm well I thought I was on vacation from cleaning a house, but today I cleaned my Ga. house- wiped down walls, mopped tile and then wood floors with wood floor soap, wiped down everything in thekitchen, vaccummed .......and now I'm tired.

Virginia
01-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Two loads of laundry and dishes.
That's my goal for tonight.

snooch
01-27-2014, 03:17 PM
My husband helped me a lot this weekend cleaning the tub and toilet, and some other areas that are hard for me to reach. I picked up today with cleaning the rest of the bathroom.

I've also dusted the pictures, the dog's room, hallway work station, laundry room, and part of the bedroom. Had to stop because the dusting was irritating my nose (I'm still sick). Did the vacuuming. Still need to do the dishes.

Kehaar
01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Today I cleaned the loo. As I flushed it to rinse away the bleach, the head of the toilet brush fell off and disappeared down the lavvy. So, toilet is clean, but now I need a plumber...

snooch
01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Today I cleaned the loo. As I flushed it to rinse away the bleach, the head of the toilet brush fell off and disappeared down the lavvy. So, toilet is clean, but now I need a plumber...

That sucks :(. I need a plumber too. No water to one of the tubs. :/

I finished up the bedroom and dishes yesterday, and cleaned the shower while I was in it.

Today I need to do the kitchen sink, the master bath, and maybe the floors - except I hate mopping more than I can express, so I'm not sure I'll get there today.

Virginia
01-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Oh no! That stinks :(

I did a load of dishes and a load of laundry tonight. I'm happy with that.

snooch
01-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Mopped the whole house (man I hate mopping!). That's about all I'm doing today.

Gillian
01-31-2014, 11:01 AM
You lot are on a roll - well done!

We are in 'clear the corridor' mode these days so that a new bed will have access to the master bedroom. I'm looking forward to a new bed, but the boxes that were in the corridor and blocking access have been distributed around the house for sorting and I would have preferred to sort them one at a time.

Oh well, go with the flow!

Gillian

mina
02-03-2014, 01:24 PM
1 and a half bathrooms are spotless.......the other bathroom I just wiped down, and swiffer wet jetted b/c it doesn't get as used as the others.

Virginia
02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I need to vacuum again (probably tomorrow). And mop. This yucky weather makes our floors so nasty!

snooch
02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Our yucky dog makes our floors so nasty - I have to vacuum again too :)

blythe_ann
02-03-2014, 03:18 PM
My husband did some work on our guest bathroom shower and left it a mess when he was done. I'm boycotting cleaning it unless we have company before he decides to do it.

mina
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Today was bedrooms.....It was supposed to be yesterday, but it's also BSF day and I have a long commute sooo by the time I get home I'm exhausted. So, today I just focused on the master bedroom, put clothes away, changed the sheets, vacuumed and dusted. Next week I'll do the master and the guest room.

snooch
02-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Today was bedrooms.....It was supposed to be yesterday, but it's also BSF day and I have a long commute sooo by the time I get home I'm exhausted. So, today I just focused on the master bedroom, put clothes away, changed the sheets, vacuumed and dusted. Next week I'll do the master and the guest room.

Okay I have to ask, what is BSF day??

(Warning: Do NOT Urban Dictionary it :D)

mina
02-05-2014, 05:15 PM
lol! It's Bible Study Fellowship. It starts at 9:30, but I leave by 7:30 to get there on time and then yesterday I spent time in the city b/f coming straight home so I was like almost 3pm getting home! So I didn't do much housework yesterday. Usually I can get home by 1 or a little earlier.

snooch
02-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Ahhhh gotcha, thanks! :D

Jolinar
02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I did a massive clean out of my bedroom - it became a waste land of unfolded laundry and stuff towards the end of my pregnancy and I finally had to get it back in order. Almost done - 1 basket of stuff left to find a home for or it's going in the basement.

snooch
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
I dusted, wiped down counter tops, and vacuumed. Still need to empty and re-load the dishwasher.

It's getting easier :)

mina
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
bathrooms all done today…..our washing machine is leaking, but it's still under warranty so the repair person is coming tomorrow…..but yeah I need to do laundry!

Gillian
02-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Well done all you busy bees! You're doing great!

I still have a lot of boxes to sort through which dh moved from our bedroom corridor so that he could clean the wall behind them and provide access to the master bedroom as we're planning to get a new bed.
Also have a puddle on the kitchen floor, which may be coming from the radiator, and soot coming down our 2 chimneys and spreading itself around the rooms where the fireplaces are, so will have to contact plumber and chimney sweep.

Gillian

mina
02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
I cleaned the master bedroom today. I've really been trying to make the bed everyday b/c it makes it look nicer and more relaxing. And I'm going to focus on an area to organize each week in there. Today I dusted, put things away, changed the sheets; then I went through 2 dresser drawers to get rid of what I don't wear and went through boxes under my dresser that I just shoved under there when we moved in.

snooch
02-18-2014, 03:32 PM
I've vacuumed, stripped the bed, and done a load of towels and sheets. I'm about to go clean the bathroom counters, sinks, and mirrors, kitchen counter, and get the dishes done.

GM
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I feel the need to dust :/

Virginia
02-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Y'all talking about decluttering is getting me excited for spring break when I'll get to spring clean! :D

snooch
02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Y'all talking about decluttering is getting me excited for spring break when I'll get to spring clean! :D

I have so much more decluttering to do, but even the small bit I've done has made cleaning so much easier. And it just looks better!

Mrs_B
02-24-2014, 07:10 AM
I need spring to come soon! We decluttered a lot when we listed the house for sale, but we still have too much! I have a feeling that most of the stuff we have in storage will be going in a garage sale in May. I've only needed two things out of the dozens of boxes in 5 months.

Gillian
02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Hello All,

Busy doing laundry, decluttering, vacuuming, cleaning, packing to go away today on vacation. Also leaving instructions for our 2 sons who will be here while we're gone.

Gillian

mina
02-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Yesterday I cleaned the kitchen, washed the kitchen table's tablecloth, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned the outside of the fridge, and organized the plastic bowl ( tupperware) cabinet.

Today I want to clean the bedroom and clean under the bed.

Virginia
02-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Put away laundry.
Put away dishes.
Wiped counters.
Cleaned litter box.

Gillian
03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Got back on Sunday. Still trying to get back into serious decluttering and cleaning.

Gillian

snooch
03-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Got back on Sunday. Still trying to get back into serious decluttering and cleaning.

Gillian

I know the feeling. I was doing very well until this last week - I need to get back on track too.

mina
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I stick to my schedule pretty well; if I do it weekly then I don't have to work so hard each week b/c every thing isn't a huge mess. This week I've hardly done anything at all, but we have had a lot going on. I am going to spring clean next week and declutter. Today I'm going to tackle the fridge; which I hate cleaning out , and attempt to organize it.

Gillian
03-23-2014, 05:00 AM
I know the feeling. I was doing very well until this last week - I need to get back on track too.

How's it going now? I have phases of doing well, then everything goes to pot. I finally got the kitchen table tidied and cleaned just a few days ago and my motivation has improved since then. I got a lot of clutter dealt with yesterday - worked on a drawer in the living room and a box of stuff which had been put in the kitchen for sorting. I think the box had been moved from the corridor where the bedrooms are as we were clearing the corridor at the time. I managed to clear the box but not the drawer but the box was taking up space on the kitchen floor. There are plenty more boxes in the kitchen to sort, but today will not be such a productive day for decluttering as we'll be at church morning and evening and cooking dinner will also take up a whack of time.

Gillian

snooch
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
I did better last week. Kept up with vacuuming and dishes, and cleaned the hall bathroom. The last couple weeks have been full of odd appointments here and there so my schedule's gotten thrown off track. One more week of that, and then I hope to be back to normal.

Virginia
03-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I did laundry yesterday and cleaned the kitchen. And I cleaned out the cat box.
I'm going to have to wait until spring break to do any heavy cleaning or decluttering :) Work and school are too crazy right now.

tiredwalker
03-23-2014, 03:00 PM
I feel like such a sluggard today. I don't want to cook, but too bad for me!

Realistic goals:
Sweep (again)
Cook dinner -veggie nori rolls
2 loads of laundry (1 down)

tiredwalker
03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm writing my list now so I can feel like I accomplished something:
Sweep
Vacuum
5 Loads laundry
Sweep basement
Partially reorganize basement
Clean hall shower
Dishes x's 2
Clean kitchen sink
Cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner ("healthy breakfast cookies", hummus/guac/veggie wraps, coconut curry soup)
Take a shower

I guess I did do a lot today.

mina
03-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I started spring cleaning today and did two bathrooms- decluttered, cleaned everything in sight, mopped, scrubbed grout. Ironic that this is my spring cleaning week and it's supposed to snow like 3 inches tomorrow! I would wait but I don't want to lose my momentum.

tiredwalker
03-25-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm totally embracing this thread again. I need a little fire under my rump.

Wash, dry, fold, put away laundry (5-6 loads)-2 down
Pack
Toilets
Sinks
My shower --it's leaking and ruining the dry wall. Awesome.
Make something for dh to eat while I'm gone hmmmm
Pick up, sweep, and mop
Dishes--Not having a dishwasher is getting old

mina
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Today is the Master Bedroom- declutter, clean everything, put away clothes, organize….And I want to at least start on my closet…..That's like a weeklong job.

tiredwalker
03-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Today is clean my sister's house day.

Upstairs: toilet, bath, and sink
Downstairs: toilet and sink
Dishes
3 loads laundry

mina
03-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Yesterday I was supposed to deep clean the kitchen; which didn't happen. Soooo, today I'm doing the living room and dining room and I guess I'll do the kitchen and closets this weekend.

purple
03-27-2014, 01:26 PM
I finally got the kitchen sorted!

tiredwalker
03-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Wash 3-4 loads laundry
Wipe and dry stainless steel
Keep up with dishes
Make cookies with my poor sickies--all five of them. Poor poopers

Virginia
03-28-2014, 03:56 PM
I want to fold laundry tonight.
And maybe vacuum, if I get my homework for tomorrow done promptly.

Christina
03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
I have a huge itch to clean this place top to bottom. With 6 cats, well, we keep it fairly clean, but I just feel like it's not CLEAN. Of course, it doesn't help that one of my friends just built her own gorgeous (but simple) modern, clean home and moved into it and it just looks so CLEAN and since I have a 1920 New England cape that level of clean and modern will never happen.

Not sure where to start but I'm just doing little things here and there, tidying and whatever.

Jolinar
03-29-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm trying to get into a new normal and a better routine. Some days are better than others. :)

Gillian
04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Hardly did anything today. The morning went I don't know where and dh and I were involved in a monthly senior citizens' lunch at our church. I struggled with a migraine and had to go and lie down after we returned home. I woke up about 5, when it was time to think about dinner. I started sorting a cupboard in the kitchen which doesn't often get sorted - just has more and more stuff crammed into it lol - the ordered Chinese in for dh and me and cooked dinner for ds#2 and #3.

Gillian

Virginia
04-09-2014, 02:55 PM
My whole house was cleaned last weekend...vacuumed, scrubbed, dusted, laundry, sheets changed. etc.

This weekend is the start of spring break, so I plan to declutter. Does anyone have any good decluttering plans or blogs? I want to really try to reorganize and get rid of a ton of stuff :D

mina
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
I always make 3 piles of clutter- keep, give away/donate/sell , and have to think about it some more. Anything to throw away goes directly into the trashcan or shredder.

Gillian
05-06-2014, 04:21 AM
Good idea, Mina. I'm not so good at keeping at it with clutter.

Gillian