PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cookbooks

tiredwalker
02-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Let's hear them!

I got River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall for Christmas and it just flat out sexy.

snooch
02-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't really use cookbooks. When I want to try a new recipe, I search for it online. And if I find a recipe that I like and want to use again, or tweak a little, I stick it in my blog so I can have easy access to it later from my phone or tablet. :)

The one cookbook that I've used in my life (not really anymore, but several years ago) is The New Basics Cookbook. It's really basic LOL but I needed that at the time.

Also, after my mom died, my sister put together little spiral bound notebooks of all of my mom's recipes that she had saved, or just remembered, and gave them to my sisters and me. I still refer to that sometimes when I want to see how my mom did something.

Virginia
02-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Cooking for Isaiah is my favorite because it is a real mom who created gluten free and dairy free dishes for her son. The food is still really delicious (and some of it's not so healthy) and easy!

I also could not survive with my Joy of Cooking cookbook. http://www.thejoykitchen.com/
It has EVERYTHING in it...all sorts of cooking tricks and tips! I LOVE it!

felinity
02-17-2014, 05:05 PM
America's Test Kitchen publishes some really fantastic cookbooks.

katzankatz
02-17-2014, 06:24 PM
The internet is one big cookbook for me. I print out recipes, and after trying them, if I like them they go into a 3-ring binder.

Other than that,I have the big Betty Crocker book and the big Better Homes and Gardens book that I use for basics. Also I have some personal cookbooks, like one from my church, one from my old high school, and a family one that are fun to look at

GM
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
I love cookbooks. I just don't use them :D But I have so many ;) Some Are:

Joy of Cooking
Against All Grain
Ad Hoc
French Laundry
But my all time favorite - always use it is:

The Family Table cookbook from Nordstroms!
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-family-table-cookbook/3422750?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=400&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_1_B

mina
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
The Silver Palate cookbook
Rachel Ray 30 min. meals

and I search online a lot.

Sam
02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
The blue Denim cookbook is great and, I have a company cookbook from a place I contracted for several years ago that I actually use regularly.

spiersdodgerblue
02-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Lidia Bastianich Cookbooks
Portuguese Homestyle Cooking

I watch cooking shows and just make what I watch w/my tweaks. I love to cook and a lot of times I'll look in my pantry and frig and go from there and those are some of the best dishes. My dad taught me to cook :)

Mrs_B
02-18-2014, 10:38 AM
I like the betty crocker cookbook, mostly for the cooking tips. Otherwise, the internet, or a phone call to my mom or grandma :)

Christina
02-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Fix-It and Forget-It...thousands of recipes when you combine all of the recipes from all of the books in the set...GREAT crockpot book. My favorite is the 5 ingredient favorites because it has recipes for 5 ingredients or fewer. All of the recipes I have made so far are really good.

GM
02-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Lidia Bastianich Cookbooks
Portuguese Homestyle Cooking

I watch cooking shows and just make what I watch w/my tweaks. I love to cook and a lot of times I'll look in my pantry and frig and go from there and those are some of the best dishes. My dad taught me to cook :)

That's me too. Most of my meals are my recipes or ones I learned from my mom/mil but when wanting to try a new meal I go to simplyrecipes.com or my cookbooks. My next kitchen will have a little library for my books :D

Virginia
02-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Also...
does Pinterest count as a recipe book? :P

Xinnamon
02-18-2014, 05:55 PM
How funny , I was just thinking of starting a similar thread! :)
I do buy and own cookbooks, but most of the time I just look up recipes online.
My mom is a fabulous cook and she compiled a long list of her recipes into 2 folders. She gave me copies of them and I refer to them as needed.

I own these cookbooks :
The Organic Cook's Bible
The Four Sisters' Inn Cookbook
Superfood Kitchen
A cookbook on Southern cooking that I got from Charleston.. can't remember the exact title
Against All Grains - Love her blog.
Nom Nom Paleo - Just bought this 2 days ago and I love it! The author is from the San Francisco Bay Area and she shops at the same grocery stores as I do, so it's really easy to find the ingredients that she recommends. I follow her blog as well.. lots of good recipes on there!

Sam
02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
I actually get kinda intimidated by recipes lol. My mom taught me to cook and it was all by memory. Just a little of this and a dash of that an pour it in your palm and measure that way. Once I learn a recipe by memory I'm good.

GM
02-18-2014, 07:31 PM
How funny , I was just thinking of starting a similar thread! :)
I do buy and own cookbooks, but most of the time I just look up recipes online.
My mom is a fabulous cook and she compiled a long list of her recipes into 2 folders. She gave me copies of them and I refer to them as needed.

I own these cookbooks :
The Organic Cook's Bible
The Four Sisters' Inn Cookbook
Superfood Kitchen
A cookbook on Southern cooking that I got from Charleston.. can't remember the exact title
Against All Grains - Love her blog.
Nom Nom Paleo - Just bought this 2 days ago and I love it! The author is from the San Francisco Bay Area and she shops at the same grocery stores as I do, so it's really easy to find the ingredients that she recommends. I follow her blog as well.. lots of good recipes on there!

I 'liked' nom nom paleo in FB but got overwhelmed :) Waiting for Against All Grain (also local) and her new 'easy' cookbook :D

DIANAC
02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
I actually get kinda intimidated by recipes lol. My mom taught me to cook and it was all by memory. Just a little of this and a dash of that an pour it in your palm and measure that way. Once I learn a recipe by memory I'm good.
Sam, would you believe that up until 2 years ago, all my recipes were also only in my head? Like you, I also learned how to cook from my mother and my grandmother. It's good this way - you "feel" the process and you "know" how your dish tastes even before you taste it. My brother gets horrified when he learned that I cook for my company without even tasting my cooking.
But in the same way you learn it, you can also forget it. How many times I forgot the recipe or even remembered it wrongly if I did not make a certain dish for a while?
So, 2 years ago I wrote down my recipes. I admit, it was an intimidating process. I finally found out how a dash of this and a sprinkle of that translates into teaspoon measurements. And I also learned alot. I was able to compare to other recipes and found better way of doing certain things.
But when it comes to everyday cooking, I still do it by memory.;)

Sam
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Sam, would you believe that up until 2 years ago, all my recipes were also only in my head? Like you, I also learned how to cook from my mother and my grandmother. It's good this way - you "feel" the process and you "know" how your dish tastes even before you taste it. My brother gets horrified when he learned that I cook for my company without even tasting my cooking.
But in the same way you learn it, you can also forget it. How many times I forgot the recipe or even remembered it wrongly if I did not make a certain dish for a while?
So, 2 years ago I wrote down my recipes. I admit, it was an intimidating process. I finally found out how a dash of this and a sprinkle of that translates into teaspoon measurements. And I also learned alot. I was able to compare to other recipes and found better way of doing certain things.
But when it comes to everyday cooking, I still do it by memory.;)

Oh yeah, I forget a lot too! Especially at he grocery store and I remember what I needed after I'm home. Do you also cringe when someone asks how you make something?

DIANAC
02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah, I forget a lot too! Especially at he grocery store and I remember what I needed after I'm home. Do you also cringe when someone asks how you make something?
Yes, I do! Especially when someone wants to watch me cook. That paralyzes me. I am afraid to make a "mistake".
l

Xinnamon
02-19-2014, 12:10 AM
I 'liked' nom nom paleo in FB but got overwhelmed :) Waiting for Against All Grain (also local) and her new 'easy' cookbook :D

I love them both! :) I go to AAG for her baked goods (I really want to try the paleo chocolate chip cookies), and to NNP more for her savory recipes. My pantry now looks so different after looking at their blogs and cookbooks.. coconut aminos, Red Boat fish sauce, grass-fed ghee, macadamia oil, kelp noodles, coconut/almond flour etc are all now staples. :)