PDA

View Full Version : Video cameras

scarygothgirl
02-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know anything about video cameras? I'd like to buy one, but I'm very confused.
Any brands you would recommend/warn against? I'm told Vivitar aren't very good
The cheapest HD cameras all refer to themselves as vehicle cameras, would this make them unsuitable for home videos? What's the difference between a vehicle camera and a normal video camera?

snooch
02-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I've never heard the phrase "vehicle camera". A quick Google search seems to indicate that they are dash cams for taking video from the car. I don't know if maybe they have a different meaning where you are.

Do you want a stand-alone video camera, or a digital camera with good video functionality as well? I don't know much about stand-alone video, but I am very happy with my Canon digital camera. It takes excellent video, high definition with stabilization to help reduce the shakiness, you can zoom video, audio sounds very good as well. And I have a great camera to boot.

If you wanted just a video camera, something for more professional types of filming, I don't know anything about them.

purple
02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
How much do you want to spend? I just had a look on Argos and Currys and there are some very reasonable full hd camcorders on there, but what I might think is reasonable might not be what you want to spend...

I'd find a local Currys and get some advice for what you want to use it for.

Sage
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
What do you want to use it for? Do you want to just be able to take 5min clips every now and then or do you want to be able to film for a good chunk of time like at a wedding or graduation, etc.?

scarygothgirl
02-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm looking to put together short artistic films. I've been playing around with animation a bit, and I was thinking that it might be a lot easier to mix in footage of puppet versions of characters rather than do everything stop-motion.