PDA

View Full Version : Lent?

Virginia
03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Do you observe Lent? If so, how to you plan to observe it this year?

scarygothgirl
03-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I used to. One year I went vegan for lent, one year I fasted during daylight hours (that was really tough), and I've done a few years of giving up things like chocolate or crisps. Nothing this year though.

judy02
03-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I am rubbish at the "giving things up" aspect of it :(

I don't think I have ever succeeded with it actually.

So...in short, no :P

snooch
03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I haven't observed Lent since I was a Catholic.... several years before I stopped being a Catholic, actually.

mina
03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
No, I understand it, but don't understand it at the same time; so I don't feel any particular conviction to partake in Lent.

Virginia
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Growing up, I never felt convicted to observe :) In my adult life, however, I have found Lent to be a valuable time of refocusing and being more purposeful about my faith, a time of spiritual renewal, if you will.

I am just praying about how to observe it this year and was wondering if anyone else was doing the same :)

GM
03-02-2014, 11:43 PM
I started a few years ago and loved it so I'm planning on doing it again this year :) I've given up a variety of foods like chocolate, meat, wine. Those are the usuals :D Not sure what I'm doing this year.

spiersdodgerblue
03-03-2014, 05:45 AM
I do observe Lent. I usually give up all meat.

Virginia
03-09-2014, 12:47 PM
After prayerful consideration, I have given up television and Netflix for Lent. It is my primary way to relax while folding laundry or grading papers, so I'm trying to replace it with music (especially Christian music).

P.S. It's really hard sometimes :(

purple
03-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Sometimes I observe the 'giving up' aspect of Lent, other times I don't.

Some years I've done something instead, like adding prayer time, or reading more scripture, or a Christian book.

Other times I've fasted on Wednesdays or given up meat on a Friday. Last year I tried to give up Pepsi Max, I failed.

This year I decided that continuing to stop smoking was my sacrifice. To give up something else would be too much right now.