PDA

View Full Version : Food dehydrator

scarygothgirl
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Do any of you have one? Do you use it often? Are they a worthwhile purchase? Does drying fruit and veg remove any of the vitamins and good stuff from them?

I'm interested in asking for one for my birthday, 'cos my husband and I eat far too many crisps and we'd rather eat something healthier. I know you can get crisps made of other vegetables in stores, but a lot of them are fried and have just as much additives as potato crisps. Plus we do quite like dried fruit, so it's be cool to be able to make that myself.

snooch
03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
We have one... somewhere. We got it years ago and used it a few times for dried fruits and meats (like jerky). It came out good, and we enjoyed it, but it was sort of a pain to use and clean up. We ended up not using it much after the initial surge.

I know people who use theirs all the time, though, and love it. It just wasn't for us.

felinity
03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Like Snoochie, we have one somewhere. As a tool, it's a one-trick pony, and while it's a nice tool, it's not one we use often enough. I think it's possible (though perhaps less energy efficient? I'm not sure...) to do the same thing in your oven.

blythe_ann
03-07-2014, 03:23 PM
For a while I used a toaster oven (more energy efficient, they say) but I now use my oven. Low temp for a long time, basically.
I have never had a dehydrator, but my mom did and used it for chamomile she found in the yard... made the house smell fantastic. She used hers year round but I don't think it got cleaned often.
If I were you, I would try in the oven for a while and if you don't mind the extra work on a regular basis, then get the tool that makes it a little easier.

DIANAC
03-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Many years ago I had one. I used it extensively. I made alot of raisins. They were AMAZING like little wonderful candies! I started learning how to dry other things too, but my dehydrator died. At that time it was made of cheep plastic and as I kept it near my oven it just melted. :(
I am sure now they are of a better quality. It's a good thing to have, IMO.

DIANAC
03-08-2014, 07:31 AM
but my mom did and used it for chamomile she found in the yard... made the house smell fantastic. She used hers year round but I don't think it got cleaned often.

Your mother is a very interesting woman :)

scarygothgirl
03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I made crisps out of beetroot today (had them in the oven most of yesterday and overnight), they were quite chewy, I think maybe I didn't slice them thin enough. But they tasted really good, so I'm gonna try again.

scarygothgirl
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I bought one today :) I don't think I'll regret it. We seem to have the oven on all the time at the moment, it will be so much more efficient to have a dehydrator. I've been making a lot of vegetable crisps. The last few days I've been experimenting with different fruit. I might like to make yoghurt at some point too.

snooch
04-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Let us know how you like it! :)

Sam
04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Xinny uses her dehydrator quite a bit, I believe, and Katz has had success making yogurt. So you have a couple people who know what they are talking about. As far as the nutrients in dried fruits/veggies, I think I've read that it doesn't rob them of the nutrients, maybe because it's such a low temp, unlike cooking something for a real long time.

scarygothgirl
05-01-2014, 03:54 PM
The trays are a bit smaller than the oven trays I've been using, and it's a little awkward to do some things on a circular tray. But it is a lot quicker than using the oven, and it means we can use the oven for cooking dinner. And I imagine it uses a lot less electricity.
I managed to do parsnip crisps in half the time it takes to do them in the oven. I also made some crackers from a recipe I found online. They're a very unusual taste, but very nice.