PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement Year

blythe_ann
03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
So, as you all know because I have a tendency to lay it all out there-- life has been kind of kicking my butt lately. But because I don't want to fall into last years darker months, I am being proactive about it. I want this year to be a year of encouragement for me and for me to encourage other people. I am not who I once was-- almost always happy and helpful-- and I want to get back to that. I am going to be completely up front and ask for what I need, because I think I have skated around it so long with the people in my real life that they don't know how much I need encouragement.
I started a Pandora station with all encouraging music. I need more song ideas. I need your most encouraging songs (nothing sad, doesn't have to be Christian, just has to be uplifting in some way). I'm listening to it all the time as a musician, music changes my mood A LOT.
I am purposefully wearing brighter colors and doing things that are out of my comfort zone.
I am also volunteering and going out of my way to bless people and trying to do it more out of love than I have been recently. Lately, it's been more of a doing it out of obligation to my former self.
I need book ideas. I would like to read books that are spiritually encouraging. Books that make you fall in love with God (again). Or sermon series, or anything for that matter. I need some encouragement in my spiritual life and I will dig until I find some!
And last but not least, I need friends. It might say a lot about me that I need to flat out ask for people to be my friend instead of them becoming my friends naturally. But it's where I'm at. I don't have friends that seek me out. My best friend doesn't even email unless I email first. I need real, honest friends who care. And I know distance and the fact that I'm a floating head on the internet doesn't make our friendships the best option, but I have seen some of the relationships on here. I want that. I don't know how to get it. Anyway, I don't know if anyone can help with this request, but the other two are important, too.

Books, music, other ideas on how to be encouraged.

Virginia
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Blythe, I really like the Jesus Calling devotional :) It's really encouraging to me.

katzankatz
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Awesome:). I like your post, how open and honest you are. Let me think about some of these.

Sam
03-19-2014, 08:29 PM
As corny as it sounds, I really love "Happy" by Pharrell Williams and "Roar" by Katy Perry. They are just so upbeat and positive. :)
For books, I love anything by Lisa Bevere and fiction, From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz, it's just so uplifting, obviously not something realistic, but still leaves you with a good feeling. :)

Ramura
03-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Off the top of my head, one of the songs I have often found encouraging is "Bring It On" by Steven Curtis Chapman. I'm not sure if it would fall into the category of "happy" (it's basically about overcoming big trials, big trials don't usually = happy), but I love it. The beat, the tune, the lyrics, just the bring-it-on attitude all really lift my spirits. I haven't listened to it in years. Maybe I should find it again. Might do me some good now that I think about it.

Another thing that comes to mind when I think of things to lift my spirits is stuff that brings me back to my childhood and/or "happier" times. For example, I sometimes enjoy watching movies that I used to watch when I was younger or listening to music from that time in my life. I find this particularly effective with spiritual things. Like, when I was a kid, I would watch "McGee and Me" and listen to "The Friendship Company" by Sandi Patty. Revisiting those times now seems to have a calming and uplifting effect on me. Again, haven't done this in years. I should probably get back to it.

I'll think on this some more and hopefully come back with some more ideas. I'm interested to hear other people's ideas too. I think it is great you are thinking like this. :)

snooch
03-20-2014, 01:03 AM
I love your post! And I love the way you are making things happen in your life, and not just letting stuff happen to you. You are becoming who you want to be by doing what needs to be done to get yourself there. I find that inspirational.

The first encouraging/inspirational song that came to mind is God With Us by Mercy Me. I never fail to feel uplifted when I hear it.

As for books, it's not Christian, but One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz is one that really lifted my spirits when I read it. I just thought it was a beautiful book, with some beautiful, loving characters.

I'll think more on this for ideas. I also hope you'll feel free to PM me if you ever need a friend, a shoulder, an ear, whatever. I think it's really brave to ask for what you need in your life. :hug:

scarygothgirl
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Here's a short list of songs I find uplifting and encouraging:
The Painter by I'm From Barcelona
Prophets by AC Newman
The Best by Bonnie Tyler
Me by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (any of her songs really)
Tell Him by Vonda Shepard

As for Christian music I find a lot of Sarah Kelly's songs quite uplifting, especially Glorious King and Good Day.

blythe_ann
03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Thank for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!
I made my Pandora station based off of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "Roar"... at first it was basically all regae music... which isn't terrible, just not what I was going for ;).
Thank you for the encouraging words, too, ladies. That wasn't my intent with this post, but they do lift my spirits :).

Sam
03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Idk if it's he kind of music you listen to, but when I was running this morning, "Calling You" by Blue October came on and it's just one of those songs that make me smile lol. You just have to be careful with Blue October, as a lot of their music is super depressing.

blythe_ann
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I've been trying a few new things in my spiritual life to re-vamp it. I have been reading a psalm or two every morning and then reading again at night. I have been listing things I'm thankful for during my runs (which can be up to an hour and a half, so I have to think about little things I'm thankful for, too). Reading the Bible again at night. I'm going to start a prayer journal so I can check things off-- I need to prove to myself that God answers prayers.

Hope all is well for everyone else!

GM
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp (it's a book) is good :)

As for music...I'll be back to list some that make me happy.

blythe_ann
03-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks GM!

scarygothgirl
03-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Just added 'Everything is Awesome' from the Lego movie to my uplifting music playlist.

Manna
03-31-2014, 12:49 PM
I was about to suggest the One Thousand Gifts book as well :)

blythe_ann
03-31-2014, 01:27 PM
I like Everything Is Awesome, it cracks me up.
As a nutrition enthusiast I am always reading nutrition related books. I have been looking into foods that are proven to lift your mood and have been experimenting with them in my own diet (as long as they fit into what I am willing to eat). Example, in case you were interested-- strawberries, asparagus, avacado and of course, dark chocolate.
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like things aren't dragging me down so quickly when I surround myself with positivity.

Gillian
06-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Have any of you heard the song, My Troubled Soul? It is a lovely song of encouragement to someone who is feeling anxious or downcast. This is a link to Jocelyn Brown singing it - she has included the lines from Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, but they are not part of the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSwn6gw3v_0

Blessings,

Gillian