PDA

View Full Version : Weird question..for those that have rented before with pets

mina
04-03-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a lady interested in renting my house back home and she has a dog. She also wants a 2 year lease which is great! I've never rented to someone with pets before and have spent all morning researching how to word pet agreements. I'm not opposed to tenants with pets and she seems responsible and on top of things; which is what I've been praying for in a tenant, so I hope she agrees to everything! My question is ,"is it okay to put a clause in there requesting that whenever a tenant moves out; they are responsible for professional cleaning of carpets?". Have you ever had to do that with a pet? or did you pay a pet deposit and the lease/pet agreement stated that part of it would be kept to cover final cleanings of the carpet or dwelling????

felinity
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I think I generally paid a pet deposit, part of which was non-refundable. So like $450 deposit, $200 of that refundable if there was no damage. (I think there was always damage.)

snooch
04-03-2014, 02:02 PM
I've always paid a pet deposit. In one place I rented, in addition to the pet deposit, I had an extra I think $25/month added to my rent. I did not have to pay for carpet cleaning, but I'm assuming that came from the extra rent I paid. I always got my pet deposit back because I made sure there was no damage, but if there had been, they would have kept the deposit.

Virginia
04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
We paid a pet deposit and now pay an extra $20 per month to have our cat. I assume that if the cat has done damage, they'll use the deposit to pay for any cleaning that must be done :)

purple
04-03-2014, 02:47 PM
I have a lady interested in renting my house back home and she has a dog. She also wants a 2 year lease which is great! I've never rented to someone with pets before and have spent all morning researching how to word pet agreements. I'm not opposed to tenants with pets and she seems responsible and on top of things; which is what I've been praying for in a tenant, so I hope she agrees to everything! My question is ,"is it okay to put a clause in there requesting that whenever a tenant moves out; they are responsible for professional cleaning of carpets?". Have you ever had to do that with a pet? or did you pay a pet deposit and the lease/pet agreement stated that part of it would be kept to cover final cleanings of the carpet or dwelling????

I see no problem with what so ever, I would also have no worries with a clause that says if there is any damage from the pets they need to get it fixed. Don't see a problem with a pet deposit either!

GM
04-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Make sure you add something in! We were nice to allow a tenant with a dog who promised us they'd clean up and left the house a mess. Not only that, they had their lab locked in a bathroom and you could tell he had tried to get out and so they added extra locks OUTSIDE the bathroom door. It was all a big mess. Add the pet deposit in there!!!!

katzankatz
04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
It's quite reasonable to write something like that into the agreement. Everyone I've rented from, with the exception of one place, required me to clean the carpet upon moving out whether I had pets or not, and I usually did not.

mina
04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
GM, Yes! I'm totally making sure it's well written and covers everything even nit picky stuff that only matters to me.

blythe_ann
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
We had to professionally clean the carpets when we left our apartment and we didn't have pets (we weren't allowed pets in the first place) it was just part of the agreement. So I don't think that would be unreasonable at all.

Sam
04-03-2014, 03:58 PM
We paid a nonrefundable pet deposit.

Jesus-is-the-1
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I've paid a non-refundable pet deposit and an additional $25 a month when I rented before. The non-refundable deposit was to cover carpet cleaning; however, if there was damage then I would have had to pay additional for the repairs. I think my deposit was $250.

tiredwalker
04-03-2014, 06:02 PM
My last landlord had a "strict no-pet" policy that broke regularly and he said he was always losing money. He ended up having to replace all of the carpet that was new to the last tenant because her cat peed all over it. Make sure you add a deposit and a little extra each month just in case-- you can always refund a portion of it if she did a great job keeping it clean.

scarygothgirl
04-04-2014, 04:31 AM
In the UK you are allowed to require professional cleaning upon leaving only if you can provide receipts to show that it was done before arrival. That's all I know on the subject. I would say a pet deposit would be the best option.

Sage
04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
My LL charges a pet deposit.