PDA

View Full Version : Peo?

blythe_ann
04-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Ladies,

Against my typical fashion, I have agreed to join a group I know very little about and I was wondering if anyone had heard of the women's sorority "PEO"?

I am a member of the arts council in our county. I'm the youngest by twenty years. One of the ladies has become a very sweet and dear person in my life-- she likes to hug and treat me a little like a daughter because hers is older than I am. Anyway, she invited me to join, explaining only that it was a Christian organization and that it focused on the education of women.

From what I gathered from our meeting to discuss what it was, it's basically a monthly get together of a bunch of Christian ladies and some of them break off into committees that actually do things like fund scholarships and things. They also have a retirement home for women of the PEO, which my older friends were excited about but doesn't interest me quite yet....

Anyone know anything about it? I am to be inducted on Monday night, so, if I'm going to have to prick my finger and do a blood signature or something I'd like to know in advance!

spiersdodgerblue
04-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I just looked online and it's been around forever. I think you might get some life long friendships from the fellowship you find with these ladies. I'm sure you will find some of your age too. Do some research hon, it looks good. :)

snooch
04-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't know anything about it, but I'm excited for you!

felinity
04-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I've heard of it, and the people I know who are in it definitely don't seem like the occult sort. ;) I think it's a pretty reputable org but don't have any first hand knowledge.

DIANAC
04-12-2014, 10:54 PM
A "secret society", "ritualistic elements religious in nature", "secret name".....it concerns me.
Is there another society that you can join? Like a Red Hat Society?? :wave:

purple
04-13-2014, 03:26 AM
I think I'd want to get some more information on what 'the P.E.O. Sisterhood has ritualistic elements, most of which are religious in nature' actually consists of.
I'd also want to make sure you can easily walk away.
I know you are desperate for friends but please guard yourself :)
I really hope this us all innocent and just 'hype' surrounding it.

blythe_ann
04-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback-- was hoping a PEO girl was on here to give me a little scoop.
I have done some research, but it is vague on their website and I don't want to rely on websites that don't know what is going on exactly. However, I felt wikipedia aligned with what the PEO site (and the ladies who invited me) have said.
I asked around and found a lady at church who had been a member at one time but decided to quit after a while. After talking to her, she said she didn't like that it was kind of secretive... no terrible secrets or anything like that, she described it as "secret handshake type things" and that it was kind of an elitist group... you can't join unless invited and you can get black listed and not allowed to join if someone doesn't like you.
From what she described, it boils down to a sorority (she left because she's not into meetings and hanging out with big groups of women). It has an honor code and a few lines you memorize, like you would any other organization. None of it is sketchy religious-wise, and no blood signatures ;). The "religious activity" from what she said is they pray before meetings and someone reads some old and new testament before the meeting.
Because she quit, she was given a discharge title of sorts. They weren't happy she left, but she said it was like leaving any group really.

Anyway, I am invited to a meeting/induction ceremony tomorrow night. My plan is to go and if they ask anything of me that freaks me out in the slightest, I'll just leave and have my husband pick me up. If they have a problem with me having my phone on me, I'll raise a stink.

From the members of the group, it seems just a social club, a way to make connections, so I'm not concerned for my safety or anything like that. But if it makes me get the "guilty I'm here" feeling, I'm out.

Thanks for the input ladies :)

snooch
04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm interested to hear what you think of the meeting. :)

purple
04-14-2014, 02:49 AM
I like your thought process on this, sounds like you have some good boundaries for yourself.

I really do hope and pray this works out for you and has a positive impact on your life.

blythe_ann
04-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks again, ladies. Tonight was supposed to be the induction meeting, but I woke up with a fever so I asked if they could postpone me another month. During the course of that conversation (they were very understanding), I asked the president of the organization if I could call her and ask her a couple of questions about the group and she said certainly. Whether she'll answer to my satisfaction I don't know, but I'll try to be a bit more prepared before I join since I have the opportunity.

spiersdodgerblue
04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Hope you feel better.

Virginia
04-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Hope it goes well when you do get to go!