PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day

Xinnamon
05-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Anything planned for Mother's Day?
My sister and I got a necklace for my mom, and I just called my mom, my MIL and my grandmother to wish them a Happy Mother's Day. DH has been getting me a present for Mother's Day every year for the past 4 years.. he got me a charm bracelet this year. :)

GM
05-11-2014, 02:06 AM
We usually go out for brunch so I'm guessing we'll do that tomorrow. No one has told me yet :D

mum2only1
05-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Today i got breakfast in bed, presents and a day out with lunch at Daylesford.
It was a great day until we bumped into my neighbor and her daughter. I didn't recognize the daughter until it was too late and by the time I realized who she was she thought I snubbed her. Then I saw her walk to my neighbor who was already saying horrible things. No matter what I do I'll never be able to please them. My husband just looked at me and said,"Of all people an hour away and it had to be her" ugh! Oh well...lunch was beautiful and I had my boys(son, husband, and father n law) with me. :-)

tiredwalker
05-11-2014, 09:40 AM
We celebrated yesterday. I got to have some time out by myself--and I bought myself an awesome weed whacker. Then, we all met at our pub for dinner and went to the park. It was perfect!

snooch
05-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Happy mother's day to all the moms here :)

Historia
05-11-2014, 01:02 PM
We aren't doing anything, which is fine. Husband says that I'm not his mother and that I have to wait 'til our son can give me stuff or do things for/with me. It irritated me a little last year, but this year it doesn't bother me at all. I got a little bag of candy from church, though. (I like that they said every woman can have a bag of mint candies because many women don't have children of their own, but help with children in other ways, like the nursery.)

felinity
05-11-2014, 04:42 PM
We aren't doing anything, which is fine. Husband says that I'm not his mother and that I have to wait 'til our son can give me stuff or do things for/with me. It irritated me a little last year, but this year it doesn't bother me at all. I got a little bag of candy from church, though. (I like that they said every woman can have a bag of mint candies because many women don't have children of their own, but help with children in other ways, like the nursery.)

I would be terribly hurt by your husband's response.

BelovedDaughter
05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Wren, your husband's response would also hurt me deeply. I'm sorry he doesn't feel the need to celebrate you being his son's mom. :(

DH and I took his mom to lunch and then we all went shopping. We gave her a card, a copy of the ultrasound picture she wanted, a Starbucks gift card, and some I Love Lucy collector cards. He apologized for not getting me anything but I understand that we've been incredibly busy getting things ready for our baby, and haven't exactly had time to do anything. I do appreciate that he sees me as a mom now, even before the baby is born. :) We got my mom a card and a necklace/earring set. We got my grandma the same, just a different set than we got my mom.

Historia
05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
It doesn't hurt me anymore. It's just his way. He doesn't really like to celebrate holidays in general (including Father's Day and his birthday). Holidays have never been a big deal for me either, generally, and it helps that my birthday is always on or near Mother's Day and that I insist on celebrating (with a little present and dinner out). I know that once my son is old enough, he'll do something nice for Mother's Day, even if it's just saying "Happy Mother's Day," since he's a sweet boy.

katzankatz
05-11-2014, 10:59 PM
We just kind of winged it today. DH had to work this morning. But we met for lunch at Noodles. Then we were going to drive to the lake and visit one of our favorite parks, take some food along to grill at the park. Wouldn't you know, a big thunderstorm rolled in. So instead of grilling at the lake, we decided to go to a burger/custard place to eat. The place was so jam-packed you could barely walk in the door. No way! Long story short, we ended up at a burger bar that none of us had ever been to that looked promising. It was pretty good.

Church was good today. I was so thankful to see that Mother's Day was scaled back. It was acknowledged and there was a small gift as you left the sanctuary. But there was no standing to be applauded (THANK YOU), and the sermon was a continuation of the current series.

mina
05-11-2014, 11:35 PM
I am not a mom yet but went to a family lunch and was given a box of See's candy b/c I want to be a future mother and I thought it was a sweet and classy gesture to include all the women. I hate those functions where people are purposely left out. Mother's day can be a hard day for some people; especially in a small group situation where it is made obvious.

snooch
05-12-2014, 01:04 AM
I'm just the opposite. I dislike being recognized on Mother's Day just because I'm a woman. I would much prefer to be left out of the celebration. My husband's daughters wished me a happy mother's day, which I thought was very sweet, but it's also different. I dunno... it's like what happened to a friend of mine today, who has wanted to be a parent but never could and is now beyond child bearing years, but three times today she was wished a Happy Mother's Day, and it really stung her every time.

mina
05-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Yeah everyone will have different feelings about it. Personally, I'm glad yesterday was handled how it was. I have been in situations where things are cruelly said or no one knows how to treat you and you sit there and die inside. So yesterday was a nice change. No one wished me happy mother s day but I wasnt made to feel like a freak either or like I didnt belong there because I was the only non mother. No righteously indignant person snatched my candy away or proclaimed I co uldnt have any because im not a mom. I usually avoid coupley mo m centered mother's day lunches but im glad I was'nt treated like less of a person or shamed or some other awful thing.

Mrs_B
05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Mothers day was a bust here. My typically thoughtful DH did nothing. I was hoping for handmade cards from the kids, but nothing. He saw that I was disappointed, so he cut flowers from my bush by the porch and then bought me two things at the store to make up for it. Oh, and the van broke down.