PDA

View Full Version : Homemade fly repellant/killer

purple
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Now we live out in the country we are dealing with a LOT of flies... I don't like using Raid all the time as I worry about how much ming I'm taking in myself and it can't be good for the fluffy babies either but we really need to get rid of all these flies!!!

Anyone got any good suggestions???

I've tried sugar water with washing up liquid so far but NOTHING!!!!

Sam
05-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Do y'all have pine sol or any sort of pine scented cleanser? I use that and it really seems to keep them at bay.

snooch
05-19-2014, 08:29 PM
I've been dealing with this problem for three years. We use Raid... large amounts of Raid... :/

The best thing to do is clear up any ways that they can congregate. Make sure you have no holes in your window screens, put weather stripping around doors, tops, bottoms, and sides, seal any cracks around baseboards leading to the outside, close the flue to your fireplaces, and if you have an attic, check to make sure it is sealed up too. If you have attic windows, screen them. If you have ceiling lights, get up into the attic and seal or screen around them too.

Then clear up any breeding grounds. Keep the rabbit cage super-clean, pick up any poop that is around, and move the cage far enough away from the house that they don't fly to where you are. If you have standing water outside anywhere, try to drain it and dry it. Clean up any brush that things can crawl under and set up shop, or that can hold standing water.

I wish I had better ways to get rid of them, but like I said, I've been dealing with it too, and haven't found any good solutions. The above helps but doesn't solve, at least not for me.

katzankatz
05-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Have you tried making fly traps?

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/How_to_make_a_fly_trap/

I've never tried this myself, but we don't really have lots of flies here. I imagine you'd want to have a lot of these, but they are super cheap to make. I should try it when wasp season starts in late summer.

purple
05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
We can't keep everything closed up Toni as it would get stupidly hot, we don't have AC...
I bought more raid today, but I did see there was a 'natural ingredients' raid in the store to say so I'll look into that one I think...

We've looked at homemade traps but I really don't like the idea of having rotting meat hanging around the house...

I'm gonna have to get DH to make sure he cleans up after the cleans out the animals more, there is always stuff left on the floor when he does it and piles of hay on the floor... Grrrrr... I think he must be allergic to the Hoover... ;)

I'll look into some kind of pine scented stuff Sam, that's a new one to me!

Melissa1208
09-16-2015, 08:35 AM
We live in the country, too. For some reason, the other day a TON of flies got in. We bought these sticky fly tape things at Walmart and hung up -they caught all the flies pretty quickly and then we just threw them away. The only issue I had was that I kept hitting my head on one of them and screaming bloody murder because I had forgotten it was there. The neighbors probably think I have serious issues.