PDA

View Full Version : Oven Cleaning

snooch
05-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I have honestly tried Googling this, but the mixed results I'm getting are confusing me more. And, I'm about to show my lack of domesticity here too, so be kind :D

How do you use the self-clean feature on the oven? Do you put some kind of cleaner in it first? Does it depend on oven brand? Is it just push the button and walk away? Is it safe? Does it work? What am I missing??

I've never in my 47 years cleaned an oven. My husband has done it by hand with some kind of cleaner, but that self-clean button is taunting me. I read in a couple of the search results that people have done it wrong and burned their house down. I'm a little fire-shy right now so I'm paranoid.

Help??

mina
05-19-2014, 11:03 PM
I have never ever used the self clean button. It scares me!!!! And chemical oven cleaner scares me too! I just make a paste with baking soda and dish soap;smear it on the parts that need it, let it sit and then wipe it all off with a wet sponge!

snooch
05-19-2014, 11:07 PM
I can't reach all the way to the back and top of our oven. We have a... I don't know what it's called, but there are two ovens, and the one we mostly use is the top one, and unless I stand on a stool I can't reach most of it. So I'm not sure I can do it myself with elbow-grease, plus I was thinking if I didn't get it rinsed well enough our food would smell like the cleaner? And then I'm also afraid of leaving residue that would somehow catch fire. Did I mention how fire-shy I am? LOL.

GM
05-19-2014, 11:20 PM
I don't like the self clean and don't think it cleans well. I have to open all windows to air out the house while it self cleans.
I prefer cleaning it by hand.
You have a double wall oven :D They can be hard to reach. It takes some interesting body movement for me to get all the way in the back.
I've used the chemical cleaner in the past and it's really the easiest. I just make sure I rinse well (use a sponge with lots of water) and wipe it all up. Haven't had any issues. I used the chemical cleaner about a year ago and keep up with wiping up spills when they happen.

katzankatz
05-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I used the self-cleaning feature on mine once. I'd have to look up the instructions in the user manual before doing it again, because I don't remember how it goes. The oven does get very hot, and the door locks shut so it's impossible to open until it is cool enough to do so safely. Keeping the door closed also prevents too much oxygen from getting in and causing a flame. You need to scrape as much junk out as you can before starting. After it cools you scrape again and sweep it out. I think I also wiped with a wet cloth just to get the finer ashes.

I hate the smell of oven cleaner, and I can't seem to rinse it all off.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen? if you are nervous about fire, you should have one. Heck, everyone should have one. I had to use mine once, and I was so glad I had it!

snooch
05-20-2014, 12:13 AM
It's crazy to admit this, but no, we don't have a fire extinguisher, and I don't even know why. We've said a hundred times, next time we go to Lowes, we need to pick one up, and then we always forget. With everything that just happened here with the fires, and my nervousness about it, it's just nuts to me that we don't have one. So thank you for that reminder, I'm going to get it on the list to do this weekend.

I'm not liking the sound of the self-cleaner at all. I'm smell-sensitive, so I'm shying away from chemicals too. Maybe the baking soda and dish soap is going to be the best option.

DIANAC
05-20-2014, 08:03 AM
I used the self-clean feature maybe twice. It does clean fine and you don't need a cleaning solution. But, yes, there's a smell and you need to open the windows. And you can't use the oven for a few hours. I was even afraid to use the stove after the cleaning was turned off as the entire unit was very hot.
I don't use it because hubby does not like smells and I can't live without my stove even for a few hours. It just does not work for me.

snooch
05-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will forgo the self-clean altogether. It's scary to me.

Mrs_B
05-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Sounds scary to me too! We have a wall oven, I'm not sure I like the idea of it getting so hot within my wall! We haven't cleaned ours many times, but the last time, DH brought home oven cleaner from work and did it the same way they clean the oven at work, the smell wasn't terrible and didn't affect our food.