PDA

View Full Version : Slugs!

scarygothgirl
06-03-2014, 03:51 AM
So the guy who previously lived in our new house loved DIY, but apparently wasn't that great at finishing the jobs he's started. So the back door has a small gap underneath, which I'm fairly sure is how the slugs are getting in. We're going to fix that problem today. But I don't know where the slugs go in the day. Are they still in the house?
Last night I left the living room door shut all night (and that one doesn't have any gaps at the bottom), but this morning there's slug slime all over the carpet.

I keep reading about different ways to kill them or get rid of them, but we're getting kittens next week and most of these ways are unpleasant for cats, if not poisonous.

So I guess what I'm asking is: If we block up the gap under the back door, will there still be slugs in the house? And if there are does anyone know of any ways of getting rid of them which won't harm the kittens?

Sam
06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Cornmeal will kill them, and I wouldn't think it would be harmful to cats. If you block the door I am pretty sure that will keep more from getting in but you might want to check to see if there are any other ways of them getting in.

purple
06-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Ewwww, nasty.

Salt will obv kill them, but I'm not sure how you stop the kittens eating that.

I think your best bet is to block up the holes to stop more coming in and kill what you can find. One option is in the evening put out some traps for them in the rooms you have the trails and shut to doors on that room so the kittens can't get in there.

Nasty!

mina
06-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Slugs don't like coffee , vinegar, or copper. So you can try spraying in front of the door with either coffee or vinegar or placing a barrier of copper flashing or even coins that are copper in front of the door (it shocks them!). Those are some natural things.

DIANAC
06-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Eeew! Years ago we had slugs in our garden. So, I read about a slug pub where you fill a plastic cup with beer and place it in the flower bed or where your slugs are. It worked. But it was GROSSSSSS! Dead drunken slugs is not a pretty sight!

snooch
06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
No suggestions, but I really feel for you :hug:

scarygothgirl
06-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Thought we had it solved. Last night we set out everything we need for the kittens coming today. This morning it was covered in slime! I'm going to buy some copper tape.

snooch
06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Thought we had it solved. Last night we set out everything we need for the kittens coming today. This morning it was covered in slime! I'm going to buy some copper tape.

Is there anywhere else they could be getting in? Around baseboards, under cupboards, in pantries, from a basement or garage entrance? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. :(

scarygothgirl
06-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Is there anywhere else they could be getting in? Around baseboards, under cupboards, in pantries, from a basement or garage entrance? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. :(

I'm not sure, I haven't been able to check the back of cupboards for gaps yet. They do seem to be around the backdoor, so I'm assuming that's where they're getting in. But they could be getting in around the pipework in the bathroom or kitchen, I've tried using polyfiller on all the gaps I can see. It very much seems like I have to try something new, then wait and see if anything changes. I've put copper tape around the door and the vent in the bathroom today, hopefully that will make a difference. Or the kittens might be a little upset!

snooch
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Or the kittens will enjoy their slimy snacks ;)