PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

blythe_ann
07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I have spent probably a few hundred dollars this year on shoes. If it was because they were the best quality out there and were perfect, I'd be okay with that expense. But I literally bought a pair last month and am buying new ones.
So, I thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions.
I am looking for shoes that
1. have a good medium-high arch support (I hate inserts with a passion, so the shoe has to come with it).
2. Has good tread.
3. Preferably slip on (because I'm just that lazy and apparently can't tie shoes well!).
4. Cute.
5. LIGHTWEIGHT. I always get injuries with heavy shoes.

I walk to work (1 mile) and home (1 mile) every day, plus walking the dogs. I want to be able to walk into work and continue wearing what I walked in (doesn't have to be nice shoes, it's a casual environment).

I just ordered some Reef slip ons and Patagonia "activisit canvas" (I like that they are vegan). I hope one or the other will work. I have PF (a foot injury) that is caused from walking in poor shoes. It's driving me crazy.

What is happening is, I run in really

mina
07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
I wear crocs flats almost everyday. I started wearing them for work , where I had to stand and walk all day (8 + hours and I had to wear professional dress). I had bought expensive brands and insoles that other people swore by; but they just ended up hurting my feet and by the time I got home each day my feet were done. I tried crocs - just a basic flat that doesn't look like typical crocs. They are so lightweight and after all day standing- my feet felt great! Now it's pretty much all I wear; I just bought some really cute wedges; and I can wear them all day and never even think about my feet! I wore those to a wedding last Saturday; and danced and walked and my feet felt great after all that! They have different styles- flats, wedges, loafers, boatshoes, etc… They are my favorite brand of comfort shoe.

snooch
07-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't know if there's anything like this within driving distance to you, but when we were in VA my husband needed a really good pair of shoes with good arch support for his plantars fasciitis, and he also prefers lightweight shoes (sneakers), and there was a sports store in town that did custom fittings for shoes. His podiatrist recommended them to us. They measured his arch, did something with him walking and running on a treadmill, did some other measurements, and found a pair of Adidas sneakers that were great for him. They had to be ordered but he had them within a week and he wore those shoes for like two years. Maybe there's someone you can find near you that does something similar?

katzankatz
07-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I waste lots of money on shoes too, and have very little to show for it. Ugh! They feel awesome in the store, and an hour later I can't wait to get them off. I have weak arches (not really flat, just loose/weak).

I have had really good success with my Taos sandals. Even though they are sandals they are excellent for walking. I walked all over Toronto and Niagara Falls 2 summers ago in them. I just bought another pair this summer. Taos also has shoes, but I've not tried them.

I've also had some success with Naot shoes. I wore one of pair those for almost 5 years until polishing no longer helped them look nice. These are expensive, but for my feet it was worth the money. They felt good immediately, no need to "get used to".

For athletic-looking shoes I'll wear Ryka. They have the best arch support I've seen in an athletic shoe, and are flexible and soft right away.

blythe_ann
07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks, everyone.
I will look into these brands.
Snooch, I did that with my running shoes. Unfortunately, it was a running specific store and I need completely different style of shoe for walking.
Appreciate it!

blythe_ann
07-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Just ordered some croc flats, they are fabric. I'm not a huge croc fan, so the less croc they look the better :).
I have a couple of Ryka on "favorites" in case none of the three work.

mum2only1
07-25-2014, 06:22 AM
I have some cute flats and sandals made from CROCS. I love them!!!

Ms_Tex
07-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I've worn almost nothing but Dansko clogs for the past four years. They are not what most people call "cute", nor are they lightweight, but I no longer have pain due to PF. Dansko does make some cuter & lighter styles, which can often be found on eBay for a lot less than retail, but I haven't tried them yet.

GM
07-25-2014, 12:41 PM
My favorite are Clark's Privo's. They've lasted me a LONG time (I order them every other year) and wear them out :)

Xinnamon
07-25-2014, 02:58 PM
I buy Clark's and I'm on my feet all day at work. I've tried Dansko but they're a little too heavy for my liking.

DIANAC
07-25-2014, 08:53 PM
My favorite are Clark's Privo's. They've lasted me a LONG time (I order them every other year) and wear them out :)

I just bought these from DSW! In navy blue. So comfortable!
And I have my comfy Crocs.

blythe_ann
07-26-2014, 11:13 AM
I have tried Clark's before (I loved a certain Privo that was the perfect color) but they just didn't fit my feet right. I have really long toes, unfortunately.
The shoes I ordered were all weird in their own way and going back.
My sweet husband has agreed to take me shoe shopping today. "No matter how long it takes, no matter how much it costs, you will have good shoes!" was his declaration. Brave man. Not sure I have his determination.

snooch
07-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Good luck! If you find something you like, post a pic for us :)

And I just wanted to throw out how much I miss DSW. ;)

blythe_ann
07-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Well, I found shoes I liked a lot (Merrell) that they had in brown and a black/gray. I liked the black/gray but the only pair they had in my size at the store had one that was stretched out.
So I'll take pictures tomorrow, when the shoes come in from zappos!
Thanks ladies!

mina
07-27-2014, 04:30 PM
My mom wears Merrells and she loves them!

katzankatz
07-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I have had 3 pairs of Merrells. I LOVED the first 2 pairs! The 3rd pair is less comfortable for some reason, but I haven't given up on them yet. I hope you like them. Don't know why I didn't mention this brand before.

mina
07-28-2014, 08:08 AM
My mom says the newer made Merrells are not as comfortable as the ones made just a few years ago. She has the same shoe , one bought in 2008 and one bought last year and she says the feel is different. She ends up wearing her old pair….. I don't know if that's true for all Merrells though.

katzankatz
07-28-2014, 10:23 AM
My mom says the newer made Merrells are not as comfortable as the ones made just a few years ago. She has the same shoe , one bought in 2008 and one bought last year and she says the feel is different. She ends up wearing her old pair….. I don't know if that's true for all Merrells though.That must be the case with mine then. I just bought them a month ago, and yes, there is something different.

blythe_ann
07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Could be. I tried some Merrell running shoes two years ago though and they were awful, so maybe these will work better for me :)
Pictures when I'm off work tonight :)

purple
07-28-2014, 05:19 PM
When I had a 'normal' job I always had hush puppies! The most comfortable shoes out there...

Now I live in Asics trainers and Merrels but I go back to hush puppies if I need 'proper shoes'