PDA

View Full Version : A Sign from God

Ms_Tex
07-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Gidget is 4 old; Abby is 2.5 years old. About 1.5 years ago, Gidget started having serious anxiety problems directed toward Abby. Gidget hisses and runs away when Abby comes near her. That's the good part of all of this. The bad part is that Gidget has taken to marking her territory inside the house!

After dealing with this (and a few other things during the past couple of years) I got to the point last week that I was ready to move out. Seriously! The only option was to rehome at least one of the cats. Rehoming Gidget would mean certain death, because finding a home for a cat who marks is basically impossible. I mean, who would want their home smelling like cat urine??? Rehoming Abby seemed the better option - she's more social and outgoing - I was set on finding her another home. The only problem is that Mr Man is very attached to her, and rehoming her was causing more friction between him and me. So I took this to prayer, and asked for prayer from others.

While getting cat treats at Petco last night, I saw two cats in one cage - one who looks a lot like Gidget and one who looks almost exactly like Abby. I took that as a HUGE, clear sign from God, and felt in my heart that He was telling me two things. First, that if these two can live together in a small cage (heartbreaking!), Gidget and Abby can live together in a large home. Second, that I cannot rehome either one because they might have to live in a cage like that, which would break my heart even more! So I will continue to pray....

Here are those two kitties:
Gidget
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/PerkyCurlz/4f05b14e-9740-45b1-8d7e-3ff46839970b_zps3eef1a06.jpg http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/PerkyCurlz/dc621bde-5d29-4c45-bec5-5f01b0dff031_zpsabb3f334.jpg

Abby
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/PerkyCurlz/cf58ebaf-d91b-4373-9c7d-96b2c0f0a40e_zps2e22e586.jpg http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s669/PerkyCurlz/a5a40edf-8ed6-46b0-a74c-f56f60be7d4f_zps5484df2b.png

snooch
07-25-2014, 01:36 AM
They are both beautiful cats. I believe in signs from God - and I also believe they are pretty rare, so when they come in and hit you with the obvious stick, it's good to take note. :hug:

Have you tried Feliway? I've heard stories of it having amazing results on cats with territory issues and anxiety.

scarygothgirl
07-25-2014, 06:02 AM
Your cats are so cute!
My parents had problems with their cats, they had five and they all got very uncomfortable with the number of cats in the house, and one of them started spraying in the house. After that I definitely wouldn't recommend having too many cats, but two is good a number.
I've heard good things about Feliway, I think it's one of the things my parents used with their cats. You can get diffusers that you plug in, though my parents have a little bottle of spray that they use on the furniture when they think tensions are getting high. Giving them separate feeding places and sleeping places is also good, so that they don't feel that they have to share everything. It might be good to keep them in different rooms overnight. I did that when I lived with my parents, but they couldn't keep it up once I moved out. The cat that used to sleep in my room overnight had to be put down, she got so nervous about not having her own space that she refused to eat and got very ill :(

I'll ask them what other advice they have. The cat that used to spray has since stopped, but I believe only because he's sprayed the whole house so there's nothing left to spray....

Ms_Tex
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
First, SGC, we have five cats. Gidget is the "problem child" and Abby is the one most of her attitude is directed towards. This whole marking problem began when my husband insisted we foster, and nurse back to health, an injured feral kitten for a couple of months before rehoming it.

We have tried everything. Feliway diffusers have been in our home since we rescued our first two cats. We have 11 litter boxes so nobody feels like they don't have a place to go. We've put some of those in places that Gidget has marked. We feed them the "good" (expensive) food. We play often, and spend one-on-one time with each as much as possible. Basically, we've done everything recommended by the experts except doing a reintroduction (our next step), which I was doubting would work. That, and decluttering the areas that Mr Man had let get really bad, as well as finishing the renovations on the big guest room so the cats have even more room to spread out. (Those two issues are topics for other threads.)

Anyway, I know signs from God are rare. This wasn't earthshattering, but it did bring me comfort. As I sat on the floor in front of the cage in Petco, crying, I developed an overwhelming sense of peace. It was as if God was showing me that this can all work out and that we can keep all of the kitties He sent for us to care for.

snooch
07-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Anyway, I know signs from God are rare. This wasn't earthshattering, but it did bring me comfort. As I sat on the floor in front of the cage in Petco, crying, I developed an overwhelming sense of peace. It was as if God was showing me that this can all work out and that we can keep all of the kitties He sent for us to care for.

I just love this. Not that you were crying in Petco, but everything else, especially the sense of peace. That's such a sure sign that God is speaking to you. I'll pray for this situation with your kitties :hug:

purple
07-26-2014, 06:53 AM
You know I'm praying for you in all this xx