PDA

View Full Version : I only deserve good in my life

purple
09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I posted this to FB, but I thought it might be an interesting thing to discuss...

A friend of mine posted to FB a picture of a cat curled up on a call and it says 'I only deserve good in my life'

My initial reaction was 'do you?

What say you???

katzankatz
09-20-2014, 11:18 AM
My first thought was "good luck with that!"

Another thought was that as Christians, we know that it's only through the grace of God that we have anything good. That's humbling. It sort of takes away any sense of entitlement

That's not to say that we never ever deserve good things. People do deserve rewards for good actions, but not just because we exist. It's an action/consequence idea.

But then there's that thing called life. There are no guarantees that you get the good things you really do deserve. There are too many things outside our control that prevent us actually getting what we deserve. If we have an inflated sense of entitlement we are going too be sorely disappointed with life.

snooch
09-20-2014, 12:49 PM
We don't deserve anything. Even the good things we have, our homes or clothes, any prosperity, isn't something we deserve because we worked hard for it - it's something that was given to us by the graciousness of God. I can't help but think of Job and how righteous he was, and he had everything taken away from him. "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away."

Sam
09-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Let's pretend for a minute that such an idea is even realistic. How do you get to the point where you Only deserve good things in life? Never sin? Give everything you have and all your money away? Always be there to help people in their time of need? Always be kind to absolutely everyone? It seems to me that it would take your entire life to reach that point.
That attitude, IMO is very self absorbed and part of the entitlement attitude that is so rampant in our society these days. It's all about me me me.
The only person in existence who deserved nothing but good things, got mostly bad and he did it for us. We can never do anything to deserve only good things in this life, and it's just not realistic. No matter how good we are, or what we do, we will still have sickness, lose loved ones, come on hard times, it's just part of life.
That is exactly why we have grace, we don't deserve it but because we are so loved, we will get nothing but good things in eternity.

blythe_ann
09-20-2014, 04:35 PM
My first reaction, honestly, is "yup, that's how cats think". :)

purple
09-21-2014, 07:47 AM
There are such fundamental flaws in that thought process I didn't really know where to start with it!