PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Pronunciation

BelovedDaughter
10-19-2014, 10:35 AM
The "how do you say raspberries" thing got me thinking! How do you pronounce these words? Please, no disputing if you think your way is "right" or "better" than someone else's! :)

1. Raspberry/Raspberries Razz-berry
2. Caramel Car-mul
3. Lawyer Law-yur
4. Crayon Cray-on
5. Coupon Cue-pon
6. Pecan Puh-kahn
7. Salmon Sam-un
8. Mayonnaise Man-ayse
9. Envelope En-vuh-lope
10. Aunt Ant

Mrs_B
10-19-2014, 12:12 PM
1. razz-berry
2. Care-a-mel
3. Loy-er
4. Crayn
5. Coo-pon
6. Pee-can
7. Sam-un
8. Man-ayse
9. En-vuh-lope
10. Ant

scarygothgirl
10-19-2014, 01:35 PM
1. Raspberry/Raspberries- Raspries
2. Caramel- Car-a-mell
3. Lawyer- lor-yer
4. Crayon- cray-on
5. Coupon- coo-pon
6. Pecan- pee-can
7. Salmon- Sam-on
8. Mayonnaise- may-o-nay-s
9. Envelope- en-voh-lope
10. Aunt- I can't think of a way to write this one. I say the 'au' like how the English say tom-AH-toe, rather than the US tom-AY-toe. So I guess Ahnt

Sam
10-19-2014, 02:49 PM
The "how do you say raspberries" thing got me thinking! How do you pronounce these words? Please, no disputing if you think your way is "right" or "better" than someone else's! :)

2. Caramel Car-mul
3. Lawyer Law-yur
4. Crayon Cray-on
5. Coupon Cue-pon
6. Pecan Puh-kahn
7. Salmon Sam-un
8. Mayonnaise Man-ayse
9. Envelope En-vuh-lope
10. Aunt Ant
Exactly this. :P

katzankatz
10-19-2014, 03:23 PM
1. Razzberries
2. Car-mul
3. Loy-yer
4. Crann
5. Coo-pon
6. PEE-cahn
7. Sam-un
8. May-naise
9. En-ve-lope
10. Awnt

Sage
10-19-2014, 08:49 PM
1. Razzberries
2. Ka-ra-mel
3. Loy-yuh
4. Cray-on (my kids pronounce it like "crown" and there was so much confusion over what they meant I started "correcting" them to pronounce it cray-on).
5. Coo-pon
6. Puh-cahn (I used to say pee-can LOL)
7. Sam-un
8. May-yun-ayz
9. En-vel-ope
10. Ant

Sam
10-19-2014, 10:54 PM
1. Razzberries
2. Ka-ra-mel
3. Loy-yuh
4. Cray-on (my kids pronounce it like "crown" and there was so much confusion over what they meant I started "correcting" them to pronounce it cray-on).
5. Coo-pon
6. Puh-cahn (I used to say pee-can LOL)
7. Sam-un
8. May-yun-ayz
9. En-vel-ope
10. Ant

Did you get corrected on #6 real quick when you got to Texas? Lol it's a pet peeve of everyone I know here when people say pee-can or pee- cahn lol.

Sage
10-19-2014, 11:21 PM
LOL I don't remember it's been so long now LOL I know that was one of the words that I changed pronunciation on quickly. Some other words took longer. Some words I've never changed and refuse to like caramel (I just can't bring myself to drop that second 'a' and 3rd syllable). For the most part I do as the Romans... :D

snooch
10-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I can't wait till I'm home and on a real keyboard so I can weigh in on this thread :-D

purple
10-20-2014, 12:30 PM
1. Raspberry/Raspberries- Raz bries
2. Caramel- Ca ra mel
3. Lawyer- law yer
4. Crayon- cray on
5. Coupon- coo pon
6. Pecan- pea can
7. Salmon- sa mon
8. Mayonnaise- ma yo nayz
9. Envelope- en ve lope
10. Aunt- Stealing this from Scary... I can't think of a way to write this one. I say the 'au' like how the English say tom-AH-toe, rather than the US tom-AY-toe. So I guess Ahnt

BelovedDaughter
10-20-2014, 01:05 PM
I've heard "Ahnt" before. Kind of like haunt without the h! What about the word "Ketchup/Catsup?" I say "ketch-up." Oh, and "syrup?" I say "surr-up."

scarygothgirl
10-20-2014, 04:36 PM
I've heard "Ahnt" before. Kind of like haunt without the h! What about the word "Ketchup/Catsup?" I say "ketch-up." Oh, and "syrup?" I say "surr-up."

My husband says it's less like 'haunt', more like 'aren't'. If that makes sense? I'm finding this a really difficult one to write phonetically.

katzankatz
10-20-2014, 05:37 PM
That's how I say those too.

tiredwalker
10-20-2014, 09:12 PM
1. razz-berry
2. caramul
3. loy-er
4. cran
5. cue-pon
6. Pea-can
7. Samin
8. May-nayz
9. Envilope
10. Ant

BelovedDaughter
11-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Snoochie, you never weighed in on this thread!

snooch
11-04-2014, 03:35 PM

2. Caramel Car-mul
3. Lawyer Law-yur
4. Crayon Cray-on
5. Coupon Cue-pon
6. Pecan Puh-kahn
7. Salmon Sam-un
8. Mayonnaise Man-ayse
9. Envelope En-vuh-lope
10. Aunt Ant

I totally forgot by the time I got home! :D

Okay.

Razz-berry
Car-mull
Loy-er
Cray-ahn
Coo-pon or Cue-pon, interchangeable
Peh-kahn
Sam-un
May-ah-nayse
En (like end)-va-lope
Ant

And for ketchup and syrup:

Catch (or Cetch, really)-up
Sear-up

I've taken those online tests to see what region your accent and pronunciation belong to, and I have consistently gotten two areas in North Carolina. I guess that makes sense to me, since Virginia is just one state away.

FaithfulLadybug
11-04-2014, 07:04 PM
I totally forgot by the time I got home! :D

Okay.

Razz-berry
Car-mull
Loy-er
Cray-ahn
Coo-pon or Cue-pon, interchangeable
Peh-kahn
Sam-un
May-ah-nayse
En (like end)-va-lope
Ant

And for ketchup and syrup:

Catch (or Cetch, really)-up
Sear-up

I've taken those online tests to see what region your accent and pronunciation belong to, and I have consistently gotten two areas in North Carolina. I guess that makes sense to me, since Virginia is just one state away.

Really? Wow... I'm shocked! Truly surprised. (in a good way)

I pronounce them EXACTLY (and I'm not yelling, just emphasizing) the same as you do. Totally exactly the way you wrote them, and I grew up in NYC. lol Go figure!... lol

snooch
11-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Really? Wow... I'm shocked! Truly surprised. (in a good way)

I pronounce them EXACTLY (and I'm not yelling, just emphasizing) the same as you do. Totally exactly the way you wrote them, and I grew up in NYC. lol Go figure!... lol

Maybe it's an east coast influence :P

purple
11-05-2014, 08:47 AM

Oh no, it's not like haunt... more like when the doctor does the whole 'say ahhhh' when they look at your throat...

Imagine a posh English person saying 'can't' and it's a bit like that... though sometimes I do say 'Ant'

Ketchup is 'Ke' as in Ke-ttle then chup as in Chuppa Chup lollies... do they have them in the USA???

Syrup is 'Sir' as in 'Sir-ius Black' or the 'Ser' in 'Serious' then 'up' as in..... 'up'

BelovedDaughter
11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Oh no, it's not like haunt... more like when the doctor does the whole 'say ahhhh' when they look at your throat...

Imagine a posh English person saying 'can't' and it's a bit like that... though sometimes I do say 'Ant'

Ketchup is 'Ke' as in Ke-ttle then chup as in Chuppa Chup lollies... do they have them in the USA???

Syrup is 'Sir' as in 'Sir-ius Black' or the 'Ser' in 'Serious' then 'up' as in..... 'up'

SGG corrected me on that earlier. Yes, we do have Chupa Chups! I loved them in high school and ate them all the time.

snooch
11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I have never heard of a Chuppa Chup!

BelovedDaughter
11-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Snooch, they are really tasty suckers! I liked the ice cream flavored ones. www.chupachups.com

snooch
11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Those look good - I can't believe I've never heard of them!

FaithfulLadybug
11-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Maybe it's an east coast influence :P

I'll go for that. But still, I'd think the South would pronounce them a bit different than a full Yankee ;) Guess not. :)