PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair

snooch
11-01-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm curious what you ladies think of facial hair on men. Mustaches, beards, goatees - do you like any of it? Do you prefer clean shaven men?

Last night on Shark Tank (the Americanized version of Dragon's Den for Brits) they featured a guy who had a long but groomed beard and who was selling beard-care products. One of the lady sharks was totally grossed out by his beard. Then today I was reading a Miss Manners column and a person wrote in to ask what is behind the recent "craze" of men on TV, even news anchor men and professional athletes, wearing beards. The question and answer seemed to indicate that this was abnormal.

Personally, I love facial hair on guys, always have. Mustaches are good, beards are better. Even when I was a teenager and in my 20s, I thought clean shaven men looked too boyish and I preferred guys with facial hair. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it seems like right now at least, having a beard is a turn off to younger women.

So I'm curious. Yes or no on facial hair?

mina
11-01-2014, 07:40 PM
I like clean shaven personally. Maybe a little bit of stubble. I don't assume anything about facial hair though. To each their own. It can make some guys look quite distinguished. My dad has a trimmed beard and he looks like sean Connery.

DIANAC
11-01-2014, 07:43 PM
My dad has a trimmed beard and he looks like sean Connery.
Trust me, he sure does!!!!

tiredwalker
11-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Part of my family came from vikings--I love facial hair. If dh would grow his out, I'd braid it. He says it's too patchy, but I love it. He does keep his sideburns long though.

purple
11-01-2014, 10:20 PM
LOL! I saw the thread title and thought 'Yea, I've suffered from that since I was a teenager' LMAO!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of facial hair on men, the whole thing just kinda weirds me out... kissing someone with stubble is uncomfortable and kissing someone with a beard is just... weird... I don't like it!

The weirdest bit is though.. it can look kinda sexy... but then I imagine kissing that and its just... NO!

Also DH has enough trouble keeping food off his face... the idea of him with a beard is just... Oh my goodness, he would be such a state!

Xinnamon
11-01-2014, 10:49 PM
No thank you.:D I don't even like it when DH has stubble because it's ticklish to kiss him, lol. I also have this mental image of people having bits of food hidden in their beards.. too much Roald Dahl as a kid would do that to you. :P
It can look great on some people, just not DH. :)

purple
11-01-2014, 11:00 PM
too much Roald Dahl as a kid would do that to you. :P

Our teacher read us 'The Twits' when I was in year 2 or 3 and it actually made me feel sick... My teacher called me 'silly' but I seriously nearly threw up!

snooch
11-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Food getting caught in the beard was the reason the Shark Tank lady was wigged out about the guy's beard too LOL.

One of my earliest memories as a very little girl, maybe 3 years old, was of my father shaving his mustache off. He came into the room and I just wailed, mournful toddler shrieks, "You're not my daddy!!" LOL. He started growing it back the next day and never shaved it off again. :P

My husband has had a beard as long as I've known him (15 years) and I can only remember one or two times that any food dripped into it. Napkins work :D

BelovedDaughter
11-02-2014, 01:14 AM
I think DH looks so much more handsome with a beard! When we started dating, he was always clean shaven. During my senior year of college, he started growing it out. I think it's wonderful but he keeps it very well-groomed!

GM
11-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Totally depends on the guy! Some look great w/ it and some don't :) I prefer DH with some scruff but he prefers a nekkid face...

spiersdodgerblue
11-02-2014, 01:33 AM
My husband has a mustache and I like it. Goatees are good but not breads or sideburns.

Xinnamon
11-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Our teacher read us 'The Twits' when I was in year 2 or 3 and it actually made me feel sick... My teacher called me 'silly' but I seriously nearly threw up!

You meant the part where Mr Twit would take out scraps of sardine and cheese from his beard and eat them? :D :drama:

Roald Dahl is brilliant though.. one of my favorite authors as a kid. I plan to buy his whole collection for my kids in the future. :)

katzankatz
11-02-2014, 01:30 AM
On mine I prefer some facial hair. He keeps it short and trimmed. He went wilderness camping once years ago and didn't shave while camping for several days, and I was surprised how much I liked it. He shaved it off one time, and I was shocked how different he looked.

We were actually just talking about him shaving today while we were driving someplace. I said noooooo! But I'd be willing to see him in a goatee, which both of his brothers wear, and they look handsome, so...

mum2only1
11-02-2014, 06:02 AM
I like clean shaven. I loved my uncle's beard, but that is the only one I've ever liked with a beard. I never liked dating anyone with a beard. A mustache was ok, but not a full beard.

scarygothgirl
11-02-2014, 06:40 AM
I prefer clean shaven, but Conchita Wurst has a very well kept beard that makes me dislike facial hair less.

snooch
11-02-2014, 10:11 AM
So what about other kinds of body hair on men?

Manscaping is very in right now, but to me personally it's weird! Men are supposed to have hair :D

Do you care about chest hair, back hair, arm hair, etc on men?

tiredwalker
11-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Snooch, my grandpa Harry grew his mustache in at 15 and never shaved it once for the rest of his life (he also started smoking at 12 and never quit). He died at 91 and my Baba never saw him clean shaven. My uncle on that side is on his way to doing the same thing--I've never seen him without it, except in pictures. :)

snooch
11-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Snooch, my grandpa Harry grew his mustache in at 15 and never shaved it once for the rest of his life (he also started smoking at 12 and never quit). He died at 91 and my Baba never saw him clean shaven. My uncle on that side is on his way to doing the same thing--I've never seen him without it, except in pictures. :)

I've never seen my husband without facial hair except in pictures too. He looked so different without it. I like the lifelong commitment :D

Mrs_B
11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
I prefer my husband clean shaven. A 5:00 shadow looks good on him too, but I prefer shaven. Funny, though, he has an ample amount of chest hair and I love that!

For me, I definitely think facial hair is a generational thing. My dad has had a mustache for as long as I can remember and he looks good with it. My uncles have beards and look good. Other men in the same generation look good with mustache and/or beards. Men my age tend to look weird with facial hair. DH's coworker has a baby face with a mustache and it makes him look creepy!

FaithfulLadybug
11-03-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm replying to the OP here, but I had to quote purple, when she wrote:

LOL! I saw the thread title and thought 'Yea, I've suffered from that since I was a teenager' LMAO!!!!!!

I almost fell off my chair laughing becasue that's what I thought it was about also... lol (female facial hair advice)... lol.

So to answer the OP...

Nope, I absolutely dislike facial hair on my DH, and only on my DH. Because I don't kiss anyone else. ;) It's just a total turn off to me, kissing a man with any facial hair whatsoever.

I think it looks nice on some men, but not on my DH. He looks much better clean shaven. Some men just don't have the face for facial hair, I think. Actually, I don't even like stubble on DH (ouch) and he'll will shave (even if he doesn't have to that day) just for me... the sweet man.

I've read all kinds of things from psychology's point of view on facial hair, but who knows if all that's true or not.

By the way, do you mind if I ask... why are you asking? Any special reason?

snooch
11-04-2014, 01:03 AM
By the way, do you mind if I ask... why are you asking? Any special reason?

Well it's weird, I see men around my husband's age, who are a bit older than I am, wearing beards and they are usually a little fuller. Not shaggy or long or untamed, but just full beards. When I see younger guys with facial hair, it's usually not more than the day-old scruff look, which I don't like at all. I had just seen Seth Rogan on some show and was thinking that for a younger guy, he had a good amount of facial hair, and whether coincidentally or not, I don't know a lot of women who find him very attractive.

Then I saw the Shark Tank episode and the woman's reaction to the guy's beard, and then read the Miss Manners column I mentioned, and it all really got me wondering if it was a generational thing. Like hairstyles and tie widths change over the years, it seems preference for facial hair does too.

When I was a kid, almost all guys I knew over the age of 16 were growing facial hair. It was a rite of passage. Getting to be old enough to shave was great, but having enough facial hair to grow a mustache or beard? That was a sign that you were a man LOL. That just doesn't seem to be the in thing anymore.

BelovedDaughter
11-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Dh is a rather hairy guy and I like it. He is very light-haired though, so if he had darker hair, he'd probably look monkey-like! The whole manscaping thing isn't something Dh participates in.

FaithfulLadybug
11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Well it's weird, I see men around my husband's age, who are a bit older than I am, wearing beards and they are usually a little fuller. Not shaggy or long or untamed, but just full beards. When I see younger guys with facial hair, it's usually not more than the day-old scruff look, which I don't like at all. I had just seen Seth Rogan on some show and was thinking that for a younger guy, he had a good amount of facial hair, and whether coincidentally or not, I don't know a lot of women who find him very attractive.

Then I saw the Shark Tank episode and the woman's reaction to the guy's beard, and then read the Miss Manners column I mentioned, and it all really got me wondering if it was a generational thing. Like hairstyles and tie widths change over the years, it seems preference for facial hair does too.

When I was a kid, almost all guys I knew over the age of 16 were growing facial hair. It was a right of passage. Getting to be old enough to shave was great, but having enough facial hair to grow a mustache or beard? That was a sign that you were a man LOL. That just doesn't seem to be the in thing anymore.

Thank you for that lovely and comprehensive reply. :)

I see where you're coming from.

My outlook is that - I guess if we look back in history, there were handlebar mustaches that were very popular at one time (a looooong time ago), then even sideburns back in the late 60's/early 70's. So I think it kind of goes along with fashion... what's fashionable. And then who starts the fashion? (lol) Not sure if it's generational though, just fashion. I think young people just do the fashionable thing. Like, at certain points, long hair or short hair or da's... stuff like that.

Sage
11-06-2014, 08:02 PM
I like short, well kept beards and "scruff". I like goatees too. I can't stand mustaches. I've never met a man that can pull off a mustache without looking shifty (no offense to anyone :D) I also don't like Amish beards (beard without the mustache part), super long beards, or super long sideburns. Clean shaven is fine but only the man doesn't have a "baby face". I like my men to look "manly". I'm not fond of kissing a man with stubble because it burns my face but I like the way it looks.

snooch
11-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I've never minded kissing stubble/bearded faces. :D I definitely do not like the Amish look though.