PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

snooch
11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm having a hard time believing that Thanksgiving is only two weeks away! :jaw-dropping:

How are your holiday preparations going???

I'm working this week on getting our Christmas card designed so I can get the order placed. Annnnnd that's about all I've done. I haven't done anything else for Christmas, and the extent of my Thanksgiving planning has been to see if Costco is carrying frozen Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes yet. :P

scarygothgirl
11-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm English, so I don't do Thanksgiving. I was pretty well prepared for Christmas, but we learnt today that my husband is not getting the time off that we were expecting. So we have to change all our plans and figure out how we're going to fit seeing the whole family in.

mina
11-12-2014, 12:57 PM
I have to work up until Thanksgiving and then up until Christmas eve, so I won't be cooking much or really doing much. It makes me extremely sad and more depressed, since I'm a holiday person, but there's not much I can do about it. My parents are coming for Thanksgiving, I haven't seen them in half a year so that will be nice. I am looking forward to sleeping late and spending time with my husband and family.

DIANAC
11-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Considering that mina will working this holiday season :( , and we are having 2 different family gatherings, today I started my baking. So, I need to plan, plan, plan. I am not even thinking about Christmas. I need to get through Thanksgiving.

BelovedDaughter
11-12-2014, 02:42 PM
I haven't done much other than decide it's at my house and what a few people are bringing.

DIANAC
11-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I haven't done much other than decide it's at my house and what a few people are bringing.
I am sure sweet little Missy A will be helping in the kitchen :)

Melissa1208
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Too busy preparing for the new baby to worry about holidays!

katzankatz
11-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm not even sure yet what we're doing. We talked about going to visit Dh brother.

GM
11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't host Thanksgiving so my job is to bring dessert and that's easy. Pumpkin Pie, and something else. Maybe a cranberry tart or chocolate mousse?

As for Christmas...I don't host so my job is to bring dessert and that's easy. Usually a cranberry tart and something else...maybe creme brulee.

Christmas cards are ordered, gifts are being figured out. My first week of december is the craziest so I need to prep ahead. :D

snooch
11-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I spent most of the day getting our Christmas card put together and ordered. Every year, I get stressed out by this, so I thought I'd start early. But they won't be delivered for more than two weeks anyway, so I'll still be stressed in December getting them out :P

We will likely do Thanksgiving just the two of us, cooking together and making it a chill-out day. Our friends usually invite us (and we usually decline) but if they do again this year we might go, since it will be our last Thanksgiving in California. My husband is taking the week off of work, so we're going to see movies and do a bunch of nothing :)

blythe_ann
11-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm all set holiday wise, with one annoying exception.
We are traveling for everything, so the only thing I have to worry about is having food I can eat on the table, so I'll just cook some stuff while I'm there that other people will also like. The main issue is dairy, so I just make some stuff that avoids that and I'm good. But I do that, holidays or not.
As a minimalist, I have a tree I'll set up after Thanksgiving, but that's it for decorating.
Present wise, I'm kind of a crazy preparer, I've been done since summer. Mostly tickets and certificates to events (zoo memberships, concert tickets, etc.) because I want to give experiences more than stuff. I did buy a couple of scarves off of etsy for the women of my husband's family, because the lady that does it is very talented. I also got my best friend a notebook with a quote from her favorite author on it, and I'm excited to give it to her.
The only snag in my holiday time is what to get my boss. Last year, he got his employees big gifts. I got a Kindle Fire and a Prime membership. I don't know if that is the plan this year, but, I want to get him something nicer than a coffee mug this year (that was an awkward exchange for me). He is a great boss, I love my job, and he is like a second father to me. So I'm still thinking of what to get him.

katzankatz
11-12-2014, 10:17 PM
We had the whole "what should we do this year?" convo over dinner tonight. Personally, I would like to just stay home and have T-giving with my sister and her family. Dh would like to travel to see some other family that we don't see as often. It would be fine to see them and all, but the problem is distance. We only have a couple days, and the closest family is 5 hours away. He actually was thinking we'd just go for the day(!) Drive 5 hours, eat dinner, then drive 5 hours home? Uhhh... That doesn't sound like fun to me.

This isn't the first time he's suggested such a trip. We can't seem to agree. He is so laid back, and nothing rattles him. Me, on the other hand - this sounds like the most stressful trip ever, not much fun, just driving and staying awake. I told him that, and he responded something like "we would be going to see J and M because we don't see them much, not for our personal vacation." (he wasn't being preachy or unkind with me, that really is his perspective)

Am I unreasonable?

snooch
11-13-2014, 12:14 AM
I don't think that's unreasonable at all. As a comparison, my husband just made the five hour (each way) drive to Vegas for a funeral. He drove in Sunday, funeral was Monday morning, and he drove home Monday afternoon. He was exhausted - and he wasn't even dealing with holiday stress, visiting with a lot of people, etc. I would not want to drive ten hours in one day under the best of circumstances, but figure in dinner and socializing too and I'd rather jump in a snow bank naked.

spiersdodgerblue
11-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Gosh if it wasn't nearly 80 and sunny still I might be able to think about the holidays!!! Blah!!!
I have my daughter hosting Thanksgiving this year, her first!! Training her :)! I will still do most of the cooking but it will be at her house. I think she's looking foreword to it.
My husband is going to "his sons" wedding in Kentucky few days before Thanksgiving (long story, so glad I won't have to go) but thinking of going to hide in the fog and colder weather at Pismo Beach for a few days while husband is gone.
Christmas...looking foreword to decorating the house..it will all fall into place. Might start baking cookies this week.

katzankatz
11-13-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't think that's unreasonable at all. As a comparison, my husband just made the five hour (each way) drive to Vegas for a funeral. He drove in Sunday, funeral was Monday morning, and he drove home Monday afternoon. He was exhausted - and he wasn't even dealing with holiday stress, visiting with a lot of people, etc. I would not want to drive ten hours in one day under the best of circumstances, but figure in dinner and socializing too and I'd rather jump in a snow bank naked.
Haha! I'll have to borrow that - jump naked into a snow bank. I might actually be able to do that, given how dang COLD it's been.

Yeah, the whole time I'm going to be thinking "ugh, we gotta leave soon and drive aaaalll the way home." It'd be a little better if we could spend a night. I'm actually not sure why he doesn't want to do that, unless he is thinking the hotels might be full.

Ramura
11-13-2014, 05:26 PM
All of my family is in the area, so we never travel for the holidays. (which is nice!) We'll usually all get together at my parents' house. My two sisters will likely cook separately, but I don't have my own place, so I'll just go to my mom's and do whatever she tells me to.

Somehow though, Christmas and Thanksgiving always turn into long, exhausting days with a million things to do and everybody running around constantly not having much fun. Well, at least I'm not having much fun. Perhaps I am projecting.

Anyway, I'm campaigning for a simple Christmas this year. Which basically just means less food, which sounds awful, but I really don't think we need 17 side dishes, 11 desserts, etc (I'm exaggerating, but only a little). I don't know if it will work. My family is pretty hooked on tradition, especially as it relates to food. I just don't like how we do it. I don't like spending almost 24 straight hours cooking and then cleaning so we can cook some more, then eating, opening presents and more cooking and cleaning. I love the holidays, but I'm beginning to hate Christmas day. And I've heard so many people say they now dread this season because it's so crazy and I just don't want that to be me.

Mrs_B
11-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanksgiving will either be spent at DH's grandmother's house or in the hospital with a newborn ! I'm hoping to have people deliver me Thanksgiving dinner, lol! Christmas is always spent at our house. People are welcome to come visit, but we choose to stay home on Christmas Day to give our kids a chance to enjoy the day rather than running all over. :)

Sam
11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Well I'll be the Scrooge lol. Holidays are stressful for me and I don't like them lol.
It's supposed to be my year to host, but, like the last time it was my year, my parents decided to host at their house. It's fine, but when we moved out here and my brother moved next door, we all (my parents included) decided it would be best to alternate years between me and my brother's. That way, if either needs something and the other has it, it's just next door.
The last time, it ended with some hurt feelings and some bad attitudes from both sides (me and my folks) and so this time when it was brought up that my parents were doing it, I just called my brother and told him it wasn't worth an arguement, and obviously it means a lot to them, so I just give up. We won't have anything at my house.
Then, there's Dh's side, his parents are divorced and we have to split our time between his dad, his mom and my side. His mom plans so much stuff and expects us all to be there all day for thanksgiving and Christmas and actually always wants us to spend the big Christmas Eve so we can be there in the morning. It's overwhelming. Then, they go way too far with presents and it seems really competitive over who can spend the most money on presents. Dh and I simply don't have the money for that nonsense. Then we have to squeeze in time for our little family.
I used to love everything about the holidays as a kid and a young adult, I loved the hustle and bustle of it all but the older I get, forgoing it all and taking a trip to Hawaii seems like the best thing to do.

I'm going to do my best this year because I do feel like it's a struggle I've been given for a reason though, so I'm going to try and work it out this year.

DIANAC
11-13-2014, 10:15 PM
This isn't the first time he's suggested such a trip. We can't seem to agree. He is so laid back, and nothing rattles him. Me, on the other hand - this sounds like the most stressful trip ever, not much fun, just driving and staying awake. I told him that, and he responded something like "we would be going to see J and M because we don't see them much, not for our personal vacation." (he wasn't being preachy or unkind with me, that really is his perspective)

Am I unreasonable?
On Saturday after Thanksgiving our entire family will be going to visit my SIL in RI. She wanted us to come on Thanksgiving day and I was not against it at all. But DH said that traffic would be awful on that day. So, we decided that we go to RI on SAturday. We are also planning to come back the same day. It's 3.5 hours and we had done one day trips many times. It's actually fun as we stop on the way for breakfast. Mystic Seaport is also one of our stopping points. So, it should be fun.
But on Thanksgiving day we will have a regular meal at our house. But I am trying to scale it down.
I am also trying to simplify Christmas. For years I am campaigning for basic minimum Christmas gifts exchange. One SIL is very much agreeable. But the other SIL loves giving gifts and receiving gifts. I trying to find a compromise with her :)
I am also doing substantially less decorating. 2 Years ago I didn't even have a Christmas tree. I needed to take a break from that. I did the Christmas tree thing since I was 18! But my son was deeply hurt. And my brother said that it's un-American not to have a tree. So, last year I had a small tree.
But I will be doing the baking as I love giving baked stuff to our neighbors and family. By now our neighbors expect it.
I like simpler holidays if that is possible.

katzankatz
11-14-2014, 12:27 AM
DH asked today "Should we go on a little weekend trip to Chicago this year?" YES, we should! A 90 minute drive is a whole lot nicer than a 5 hour drive. I love going there. I just hope to stay warm, walking around the city, waiting for trains and buses... the weekend of Thanksgiving. 20 billion people out shopping and sightseeing...

purple
11-14-2014, 03:30 AM
Christmas is usually straight forward for us and is again this year... DH is home and it's just us for Christmas Day, then my side of the family will come to us for Boxing Day (26th)
I'm focused on the big Christmas craft fair right now and thanks to my mum yesterday we got quite a bit done with stock and she calmed me down about how much stock I have!
Once that is done, I'm off to Texas and I'm buying my mums Christmas present out there, I know what I'm getting DH, I just need to buy it when I get back, DHs niece and nephew will get money and we've bought my nephews presents already. I think (finally) my brother and SIL are going to agree to the idea of us not exchanging presents so that will make life easier... I just don't know what to get my dad...
My biggest stress about Christmas is services, but I've decided to cancel one that has crazy low attendance and combine it with another one which means one less service!

mum2only1
11-14-2014, 06:29 AM
We had the whole "what should we do this year?" convo over dinner tonight. Personally, I would like to just stay home and have T-giving with my sister and her family. Dh would like to travel to see some other family that we don't see as often. It would be fine to see them and all, but the problem is distance. We only have a couple days, and the closest family is 5 hours away. He actually was thinking we'd just go for the day(!) Drive 5 hours, eat dinner, then drive 5 hours home? Uhhh... That doesn't sound like fun to me.

Am I unreasonable?

This would not be any fun for me at all. My husband is laid back and I don't think my husband would even suggest something like this. haha When we went on a cruise we had to fly to Brisbane and then get on the ship there. Just in case there was a problem with our flights and it made us late for the boat I made sure to book a hotel for two nights before the ship sailed and 2 night after. Just so we wouldn't be late and we could relax and look around.
I book most of our trips because my husband doesn't always get the best deals and will book us in 3 star instead of 5...l:P
Anyway...I would tell him that you'll go only if you can stay over night somewhere.
We've driven 4 hours to Chicago...spent the day and come back and I hated doing that. I love relaxing....looking around....and enjoying our time then going back to our hotel or bed n breakfast.

I don't take any chances so I plan all of the trips.

mum2only1
11-14-2014, 06:46 AM
DH asked today "Should we go on a little weekend trip to Chicago this year?" YES, we should! A 90 minute drive is a whole lot nicer than a 5 hour drive. I love going there. I just hope to stay warm, walking around the city, waiting for trains and buses... the weekend of Thanksgiving. 20 billion people out shopping and sightseeing...

A Chicago trip would be so awesome!!! Can I come? lol I love it there too!!! To be 90 minutes from that city would be so great!!!

mum2only1
11-14-2014, 07:24 AM
My husband and I celebrate Thanksgiving, but since Australians don't celebrate Thanksgiving it's not a day off from work here. We typically celebrate Thanksgiving on the Saturday night after. I try to have someone new over every year. I'll do a dinner and a couple of American friends will bring a pie and side dish.
I actually enjoy doing Thanksgiving here because there isn't any family to deal with. Thanksgiving was stressful at home. My brother always ate a huge breakfast at his in-laws house and then came with sister n law and niece and nephew to my mom's for dinner. He would complain that he was too full to eat mom's dinner. Then my other brother was just hateful and mean during Thanksgiving. I hated it as I got older.
I like doing it here without them. I enjoy it with my son because he loves Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The same thing with Christmas. Not any family Christmas Day. DH's sister and nephew come down from Sydney the weekend before...then Christmas Day we do Christmas alone with my Father n Law.
It's pretty simple. We have a nice breakfast, open presents, then have lunch and then watch movies or lounge around the rest of the day.
I want Thanksgiving and Christmas to be special for my son always.

DIANAC
11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
the weekend of Thanksgiving. 20 billion people out shopping and sightseeing...

You should see New York City.

snooch
11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
You should see New York City.

I'm really determined to get my husband to NYC to see it during Christmas season one year. He has refused so far (he holds a grudge against NYC from a long time ago LOL) but I'm going to make it happen one day :)

Sam
11-14-2014, 04:41 PM
That's something I've always wanted to do too. Christmas in NYC just seems magical lol.

GM
11-14-2014, 05:19 PM
That's something I've always wanted to do too. Christmas in NYC just seems magical lol.

Especially if you can have the hotel room from Home Alone II :D I wanted to do that! I need to find a credit card I don't need to pay back. I'm sure the government has those :P:drama:

snooch
11-14-2014, 10:57 PM
I have to say, I normally don't like early-Christmas stuff showing up before Thanksgiving... however, The Hallmark Channel has been running almost endless Christmas movies that my DVR has been picking up as suggestions I would like, and I am loving it. I love Christmas movies, the cheesier the better, I love Christmas specials (I'm REALLY looking forward to ABC Family airing all the old Rankin/Bass shows like Rudolf, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty, Little Drummer Boy, and my all-time favorite Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey :D), and I'm tempted to sit in front of my TV all weekend watching this stuff :D

blythe_ann
11-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Today is the first time it's snowed and actually stuck. I officially feel it's the holiday season.

katzankatz
11-15-2014, 12:05 PM
^ I'm a little jealous. For the last week the sky has been very grey, looking like snow, but... nothing. Oh sure, we get to take the 18 degrees though.