PDA

View Full Version : Paying full price or skimping?

mum2only1
11-20-2014, 05:54 AM
What will you not skimp on when it comes to buying what you need or want?

What will you buy at the lowest price?

Me...In the past I've liked buying good quality handbags, shampoo, makeup, along with cleansers, moisturizers, and toners, but lately I've found my shampoo and moisturizer that only costs $3.49 a bottle works just as well as the expensive ones that I used to buy. I've also started using over the counter facial products such as Olay and Nivea. They work just as well as Clinique. Makeup I still buy Clinique, but lately have been buying Maybelline lipstick and eye shadows. I struggle finding a good quality mascara as everything seems to make my eyes water.

I will buy the more expensive butter, ketchup, toilet paper.

I find my husband buying the cheap margarines, toilet paper, and ketchup, along with loaves of bread for a dollar. I'd rather have the better quality bread.

When it comes to jeans, tops, bathing suits, jackets, and coats I could care less as long as they look decent. Since gaining weight I just don't care about clothes.
My towels and sheets are more expensive than the clothing that I wear.

As a teenager and in my 20's and 30's.....I could always get by with wearing cheap shoes. Not anymore...all shoes have to be good quality. Shoes aren't cheap here so ...the lowest price for sandals or shoes is $40. Boots I'll spend over $150.

I did have a hair stylist that gave me the lowest prices around, but now she has moved on and the hair stylist now charges me an arm and a leg. $135 for cut, color, wash, and style. It's worth it though.

What do you pay full price for?...What do you skimp on?

snooch
11-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I'll buy generic of medicines (over the counter stuff) because it's so much less expensive for the same exact thing. I have one prescription that I need in brand because whatever the slight difference is between it and generic makes a difference in how I react to it.

I don't care about brands on clothes or shoes. If it fits well and looks good, I'll buy it.

We shop at Costco for many things so a lot of what we use around the house is off brand. Toilet paper, paper towels, butter, bottled water, all Kirkland/Costco brand. We buy the real stuff for my husband's iced tea (Snapple) but his green tea is Kirkland. I'm particular about soda, so on the rare occasion that I have a Diet 7-Up, it's the real stuff.

I bought an expensive designer brand purse and wallet in 1992. I still use them both today. They haven't broken or even worn very much. 22 years worth of use made the price more than worthwhile. In 2001 my husband bought me the same brand shoulder bag (my other is a handbag) for our anniversary, and I still use it as my primary bag. It looks like it could have come out of the package last week. Those are the only extravagant name-brand/designer things I've ever bought, and they've been worth the cost for the years of life I've gotten from them.

I am picky about soup. I buy Campbell's. I've tried store brands and they just aren't as good to me.

For shampoo, I don't buy expensive salon brands usually, although I have tried them from time to time. Pantene works well enough for me.

snooch
11-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh, the Diet 7-Up reminded me, since I only have one when I'm drinking -- I do not skimp on Vodka. Top shelf only. :)

mina
11-20-2014, 11:51 AM
I buy quality shoes and dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent. But, I try to get whatever I buy on sale. Those things I am willing to buy full price if needed.
everything else can be store brand. For clothes, I find expensive brands at thrift stores for very little. I will pay full price to get my hair done .

scarygothgirl
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I like to find everything as cheap as possible.

I recently bought a menstrual cup, I figured I should buy a premium brand as I worry about what the cheaper ones are made of. But I waited 'til it was half price in a sale and got an extra 10% off with a voucher.

katzankatz
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
I tend to go middle of the road with most things. I basically buy what I want/need. I like to keep the grocery bill low, but will spend extra to keep it healthy or to avoid certain ingredients. I love to buy clothes at Goodwill - some really good stuff there if you're willing to look. For brand new clothing, Kohl's is my place. I'll spend more money on shoes though because I need the support that expensive shoes offer. (Though I must say I've still bought my share of expensive duds that felt awesome in the store, not so much 30 minutes after expensive purchase). I'll also spend good money at the hair salon, especially now with my hair issues. Sometimes I like to splurge on Fiji bottled water. I'm picky about drinking water, and it's my favorite.

I also love to stop at rummage and estate sales when I have the time.

GM
11-20-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm such a mish mash, I don't know where to start!

Basically, prescription meds are generic, the rest is name brand. I pay a lot for purses, shoes, hair, detergents.

blythe_ann
11-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Toiletrees-- middle of the road. I buy organic, all natural, no sulfa stuff, so it's kind of expensive for "cheap" stuff if that makes sense. Dessert Essence almost exclusively.
Clothing-- Again, middle of the road. I spend more than I used to, because I buy higher quality, but not for style. If a wardrobe malfunction is going to happen, it's going to happen to me. So I buy hiking/outdoor/meant for exercise type clothing that lasts longer and doesn't tear/tilt/move easily. Athleta is my favorite brand.
Household stuff-- I have specific brands but they are cheap. Cottonelle TP all the way!
Food-- I can be picky on this one. But, most things I buy don't have brands (well, I guess I've never noticed what "brand" of carrot I'm buying). But I have a few requirements for food that narrow brands.
Accessories-- I buy my purses, scarves, gloves, etc., from etsy. They last forever and they are one of a kind. I love etsy.

The only thing I really go all out on are running shoes. When you put 500 miles on a pair, you need good shoes. I replace every 3 months and they are expensive every time. But, it's cheaper than therapy or injuries.

And, maybe this doesn't count, but we go all out on dates most often. We have our movie and popcorn to and order dessert while at the restaurant. We might have a date night a week (or two date nights sometimes...) but they are always special.

mum2only1
11-21-2014, 02:06 AM
I bought an expensive designer brand purse and wallet in 1992. I still use them both today. They haven't broken or even worn very much. 22 years worth of use made the price more than worthwhile. In 2001 my husband bought me the same brand shoulder bag (my other is a handbag) for our anniversary, and I still use it as my primary bag. It looks like it could have come out of the package last week. Those are the only extravagant name-brand/designer things I've ever bought, and they've been worth the cost for the years of life I've gotten from them.

Wow...I've never had a handbag or wallet that long!!!! Where did you buy it?
I get bored with handbags so I have several...lol

I think the longest I've had anything is a red blanket that my parents bought for me in college and I still have it...lol. It's got holes in it, but it is soft and I still lay with it on the couch. The dog loves it too..lol. My husband calls it Linus cause I take it everywhere. If we go camping or on a trip I will take it. hahaha....The best blanket in the world!!!

Ramura
11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I try to buy all organic food, but I will go with the cheapest of the organic options. I figure if there's anything worth spending the money on, it's the stuff we eat.
Toiletries, I try to make my own, but I don't always have time. But I actually don't use that many toiletries anyway. Toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes lotion. I very rarely wear much make up other than lipstick. I haven't had much luck with making shampoo, so I may need to just give up and start buying organic brands, though I will probably always go with the cheapest option.

For everything else, I just go with the cheapest stuff. Although snoooch's 22 year old handbag has me intrigued. I hate throwing things away and I seem to go through purses and clothes fast. Maybe if I can figure out how to determine what things will last the longest, I may make the investment.

Oh, I will probably never own any car other than a Honda again. I had a Kia Rio for five years and it broke down all. the. time. Totally impressed on me how much a good car is worth the price.

mum2only1
11-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Oh, I will probably never own any car other than a Honda again. I had a Kia Rio for five years and it broke down all. the. time. Totally impressed on me how much a good car is worth the price.

I loved my Hondas. I drive a Toyota now. It's up there with Hondas.

snooch
11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Wow...I've never had a handbag or wallet that long!!!! Where did you buy it?
I get bored with handbags so I have several...lol

The handbag, wallet, and shoulder bags are Louis Vuitton. So they were very expensive when I bought them. When I got the handbag and wallet in 1992, I was poor LOL but I was young :P and I used a tax refund to get them as a splurge on myself.

A woman I worked for had had hers for over ten years and used it every day and it still looked new other than the darkening of the leather on the handles from the oils on her skin. I did the math and figured I was buying $20 purses a couple of times a year and if I got 10 years out of the bag it would be worth the money. Well the bag ended up being twice that, but I've gotten 20 years out of it and still going. :)

I don't like changing purses, I don't like wondering if something I'm looking for is in another purse, I don't go places where I need my bag to match my outfit, so using the same bag every day is no problem for me. It's easier for me and I don't get bored with them. I use the shoulder bag until my hair gets so long that it's getting caught on my shoulders when I put the bag up, and then I switch to the handbag until I get my hair cut. :P

GM
11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
The handbag, wallet, and shoulder bags are Louis Vuitton. So they were very expensive when I bought them. When I got the handbag and wallet in 1992, I was poor LOL but I was young :P and I used a tax refund to get them as a splurge on myself.

A woman I worked for had had hers for over ten years and used it every day and it still looked new other than the darkening of the leather on the handles from the oils on her skin. I did the math and figured I was buying $20 purses a couple of times a year and if I got 10 years out of the bag it would be worth the money. Well the bag ended up being twice that, but I've gotten 20 years out of it and still going. :)

I don't like changing purses, I don't like wondering if something I'm looking for is in another purse, I don't go places where I need my bag to match my outfit, so using the same bag every day is no problem for me. It's easier for me and I don't get bored with them. I use the shoulder bag until my hair gets so long that it's getting caught on my shoulders when I put the bag up, and then I switch to the handbag until I get my hair cut. :P

Purses are like undies...you NEED to change them and freshen up :P hahahahahaha

snooch
11-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Purses are like undies...you NEED to change them and freshen up :P hahahahahaha

I carry my life in this purse (it's a BIG purse!) so moving everything is too much of a pain. :P

BelovedDaughter
11-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Most things I buy the cheapest possible, whether it's store brand or with coupons. I do spend more money on my face wash because it actually keeps my skin mostly clear. I will spend more money on certain foods that make a difference, especially with DH having blood pressure issues. My current purse (and many others) was bought at a nice thrift store and you'd never know it wasn't brand new.

I am particular about tp brands, but I don't buy the most expensive either. Angel Soft or White Cloud usually. Haven't had my hair cut in 3 years now and on the rare occasion I put makeup on, it's usually MK with Maybelline mascara ($3.97 a tube).

Sam
11-21-2014, 07:16 PM
We've lived off one modest income so long that I skimp on just about everything. For beauty products I try and make my own or use natural alternatives, it's hard to call that skimping, but it is so much cheaper. I use camomile tea as a cleanser/toner, olive oil as a moisturizer, and baking soda to exfoliate. I make my own hair gel out of unflavored gelatin. I haven't made my own shampoo,mbut I do use the cheapest I can find, my aunt taught me it's not what you use, but how you wash your hair. I only wash once a week if that (just whenever my hair starts to look oily) and use a tiny amount of shampoo mixed with conditioner and focus on my scalp. I have very healthy hair too.

I buy store brand for almost everything but fortunately our grocery store has excellent products.

I guess the only thing I will not skimp on is major purchases (ie appliances) and home improvement products. You really do get what you pay for in that area.

purple
11-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I can't honestly say I skimp on anything... I tend to look for bargains and buy things when they are on sale or offer so I can get better stuff and then stock pile it.

The shampoo I use is 4 a bottle so I get it when it is 2 for 5 and get enough to last quite some time... I'm the same with household stuff...

Clothes, well I'm limited where I can get stuff cos of my size, I would love to be able to buy less expensive but I can't and that's just life.

I don't use makeup or 'beauty products' as such... DH will sometimes bring me back something from duty free or get me something when he is at work as it is much cheaper in Saudi.

The one thing I never ever skimp on now is after sun... Ever since getting crazy burnt 7 years ago I will not use anything other than Clarins... It's not cheap but you don't need much and it works and I think I've bought 3 tubes in the last 7 years so in the long run it's not so bad...

Soap I buy from a local maker as then I know what goes in it...

To be honest I've found that you get what you pay for and so I will spend a bit more (if we can afford it) and things will last for longer or be better quality!

I know I'm blessed to be able to do that...

tiredwalker
11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
I skimp on socks, undies, and long sleeved shirts (I have to double up in the winter time). They get grungy no matter how high quality they are, so I just buy them cheaply.

I look for deals, but buy good quality food (a must for me), cars, baby safety items (cribs, car seats, etc), appliances and electronics. I also try to not buy a lot of stuff or trendy things. We have cell phones for an emergency so they aren't iphones. We've had the same laptop for 5 years, but it shows not signs of needing to be replaced. The couch and love seat are hand-me-downs from my parents who bought them...when I was 16 (19 years ago). My children will be the death of them, but they are high quality enough that they are in great shape.

I try to take clues from my great grandma B (God bless her soul; she died 6 years ago). She was willing to spend on good items, but she also treated them carefully. When I was 25, she gave me a washer and dryer (complete with reciept!) from the year I was born 1979. They worked great and then I blessed someone else with them when I moved across the country. I hope to have mine that long :)

Xinnamon
11-29-2014, 02:23 AM
I splurge on good quality food.. organic, grassfed, sustainable, HFCS free etc. I also splurge on a few brands of skin care. I actually think I save more money in the long run because I used to be a skin care product junkie, but now I just stick to a few trusted brands.

I look for deals on most of everything else. :) I buy name brand purses and shoes but always try to get them on sale.

MaryH
12-02-2014, 12:06 PM
This is a thought provoking post.

I'll pay less for whatever holds up to (in quality) as the higher priced item. Like you, the original poster, I find myself spending less and less as I get older.

I am a thrifter. I seldom pay full price for any garment, except for the under things...and then, only when they are on sale. It is amazing what people toss out. As much as I dislike this quote, "One person's trash, another person's treasure."

Food is another thing. The store brand works for most items, except for peanut butter and ketchup. Sometimes we have to let ourselves enjoy the small things in life...

GM
12-02-2014, 12:12 PM
This is a thought provoking post.

I'll pay less for whatever holds up to (in quality) as the higher priced item. Like you, the original poster, I find myself spending less and less as I get older.

I am a thrifter. I seldom pay full price for any garment, except for the under things...and then, only when they are on sale. It is amazing what people toss out. As much as I dislike this quote, "One person's trash, another person's treasure."

Food is another thing. The store brand works for most items, except for peanut butter and ketchup. Sometimes we have to let ourselves enjoy the small things in life...

Welcome MaryH!

judy02
12-03-2014, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=snooch;231498]

I bought an expensive designer brand purse and wallet in 1992. I still use them both today. They haven't broken or even worn very much. 22 years worth of use made the price more than worthwhile. [Quote]

Snooch, that is amazing!! What is the brand? :)

snooch
12-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I bought an expensive designer brand purse and wallet in 1992. I still use them both today. They haven't broken or even worn very much. 22 years worth of use made the price more than worthwhile.

Snooch, that is amazing!! What is the brand? :)

Louis Vuitton. :)

mum2only1
12-03-2014, 08:56 PM
I must go get me a Louis Vuitton now.....:applause:

judy02
12-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Haha yeah! And we can all request refunds if they don't last as long as Snooch's! ! :P