PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Bible Reading

Manna
12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Hey ladies!

I'm trying to refocus on my personal Scripture reading. I'm fairly good about reading the passages assigned each week for group Bible studies I participate in, but I've become aware of how I'm neglecting time just being in the Word as my daily bread. God, of course, very much speaks to me and blesses me while doing homework for Bible study, but there's a definite distinction between the two types of reading, IMO.

Since we're just around the corner from the new year, I thought I might start a thread for us to share with each other ways God has led, encouraged, and strengthened us through our times in the Word! We of course don't have to wait until the new year, though. :)

Can anyone else relate to what I'm feeling, about not spending enough quiet time with Him?
Do you find it important/necessary to spend time in the Scriptures?
Do you read along with an organized system of some sort, or are you more of a Bible bingo person, opening to a random page of the text? :)

snooch
12-17-2014, 11:53 AM
I can definitely relate to what you are saying!

When I first became a Christian in 2004, I read through the Bible from start to finish. It took me something like three years to do it LOL but I did. I think that's a good thing to do, once, but it's not how I get the most out of reading scripture.

I have a daily podcast that I listen to that reads through the Bible chronologically over the course of a year. Unfortunately, that often is relegated to background noise as I'm listening to it while doing other things, and I miss a lot.

I read the passages for church and Bible studies, but like you said -- there's a distinction between that and really being in the Word.

I really go through ups and downs with my consistency about this. There are times I will have a dedicated time every day to read a bit of scripture. I usually try to focus on a book at a time, rather than skip around, so I am getting good context to what I'm reading. When I do that, I always, without fail, find something I forgot was in the Bible. I'll come across something that will hit me with sudden meaning, and it's a really cool experience.

Then there are times where I let it slip by the wayside and don't read independently (outside of Bible study/church readings) for a long time. And I find myself missing it. It's so easy to step away from that habit and make excuses for why I'm too busy to do it. My "favorite" excuse, for lack of a better word, is that I am not reading enough of whatever book I am currently reading -- which is so ironic, that I make sure I have time to read a novel, but not that I have time to read the scripture...

Anyway, I'm glad you posted about this. It is motivating me to once again turn around and try to do better with this!

DIANAC
12-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Good thread.
For a number of years now I am reading through the Bible. That is in addition to my Bible studies, prayer and daily devotional. The very first time I read the Bible through, I remembered very little but it gave me the "big picture" so to speak. I like reading the Bible through. I like how the Bible "sounds", how every time I read it I notice something "new" in it. I like the worshipful nature of the Psalms, wisdom of the Solomon, movie-like script of the Gospels, Epistles like To Do lists. And then everything explodes in the Revelation and finally justice prevails.
For many years I did One year reading program. But it is hard to keep up. In 2014 I decided to go slow, and read only NT. But I noticed that I "miss OT", for the lack of a better word. So, during these remaining days of 2014 I am reading Job. I see how because of his great suffering Job is discovering a concept of the Mediator, maybe for the first time in OT.
Job 9:33 If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, 34 someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. 35 Then I would speak up without fear of him, but as it now stands with me, I cannot.
Next year I will maybe do our Gideon one year reading guide.

snooch
01-02-2015, 01:10 AM
I'm starting a new reading plan for the year - partly because I see this thread pop up in my UserCP every day and it's a good reminder :)

katzankatz
01-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I'll be following our church's Bible reading plan.

Manna
01-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Well, I WAS planning on trying out a chronological read of the Bible this year. But I received a wonderful new Bible for Christmas, and I've been reading it instead! It's a new translation of the Bible by Messianic Jews, and it keeps the emphasis on the Hebrew background. It's fascinating! I just love it! The New Covenant books are still in the "Christian" order that we're used to, but the Old Covenant books are in the Jewish order, so it's interesting having the difference. I'm nearly through with Genesis now, and I'm loving it! It's also the translation that I will be memorizing from this year.

Beth Moore hosts a Scripture Memory challenge every other year on her blog, and this is the third time I'm taking part. It has been a huge blessing before, and I'm looking forward to what it will bring this time! :)

DIANAC
01-08-2015, 09:28 AM
I started using just a simple Bible reading program, again, this year - OT - NT. Last year I did not read OT as I decided to work slowly through the NT. But, I feel that I am missing something. Fulness of God's word is seen in the entire Bible. Many things that are in OT are surfacing in NT. For example, plagues that 2 witnesses in Revelation were given power to do as many times as they wanted - are the same ones that Moses did, but only one time each.
I am reading Genesis. I like Hagar much more than I like Sarah. Hagar's faith! Why no one talks about it? She had a personal relationship with the God of Universe. She was the first person in the Bible who called God by name - God who sees me!!!! We, NT people, who have Jesus, have multiple Bibles in our homes, don't always know that God sees us. But Hagar did!
Most people think that Hagar was a difficult girl as she despised Sarah. But....I think not. First of all, Sarah picked her to bear her husband's child. I think it's not because she looked healthy and attractive. In my opinion, she was a pleasant girl too. If I was Sarah and decided to find a mother of a child that I will be raising, I would like a pleasant girl with whom I can have a close relationship. Why then did Hagar despise Sarah? The Bible says that as soon as she conceived she despised (galal hebrew) her mistress. This is the same word galal as in Ecclesiastes 7:21-22
Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your servant cursing (galal) you— for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed (galal) others.
Simply, Sarah was not a very pleasant person. Chances are that she mistreated Hagar even before. Maybe expecting Hagar was sick and tired, but Sarah still mistreated her. It's what goes around, comes around. Or in the words of Obadiah " As you have done, it will be done to you; your deeds will return upon your own head." 1:15. (this verse is about the Day of the Lord, but has general implications as well).

DIANAC
01-09-2015, 02:30 PM
How's everyone's Bible reading this year? Even if you skip a day in your reading program, do not be discouraged. I don't make up for the days when I did not read. Since this is not the first time I am reading the Bible, I can do that. But if this is your first time, I would be consistent even if you can not follow the schedule.
I am still in Genesis....Many these days separate effects of sin upon the humanity. It's like sin is something that we talk about on Sundays at church (or some churches don't even talk about it), but Mondays-Saturdays we are living our "normal" life, going to work, to doctors, buying food, buying medicine. But Genesis reminds me that sin interrupted Adam and Eve's normal life. Sin hurts. One of the very first judgements that God pronounced upon the first couple was pain of childbearing and painful labor. And from there there's one pain and frustration after another. I was wondering why childbearing? But then I saw that the very first blessing upon the first couple was "Be fruitful" in Gen 1:28. So, God's judgement was placed upon the childbearing. I realized that since every woman who had or is having a child suffered or will suffer that pain, then it should serve us as a reminder of our sinful condition and necessity of the Savior. In this I saw God's mercy as He still allowed us to have babies and take care of our gardens. God is so merciful and good. I see that in Genesis.

snooch
01-09-2015, 03:57 PM
The plan I'm reading goes through the New Testament in a year. I like that it goes at a bit slower pace as a result, so I can really reflect on what I'm reading, and not feel like, "Oh I have three chapters to read today!" and rush through it to get it read. I'm always struck by how many of Jesus' actual words are in Matthew. It's so enlightening to see what he actually spoke throughout his ministry.

DIANAC
01-09-2015, 07:59 PM
snooch, I did that last year. I like that as I could go at my speed. But, like I said I miss OT. It's .. like a lining for a coat. :)

snooch
01-09-2015, 08:32 PM
I always get something new out of the OT every time I read it. Always. And at the same time, I always dread it a little when I'm getting ready to read it. I have a hard time keeping track of all the people groups, I really dislike Job LOL, and I have a hard time with Psalms and Proverbs because it's hard for me to reflect on what things really mean to me and how they apply to my life when I'm reading them. Yet, when I do, I get good stuff out of them. Mind and soul are disconnected for me with the OT.

DIANAC
01-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I know what you mean about keeping track of all the names/people, etc. It's just takes concentration. I, however, love Job. I am learning so much from that book. I am learning the value of suffering from Job. His friends who have such a bad reputation, put their life on hold, and traveled a long distance to comfort Job. They gave so much of themselves. But their knowledge of God was faulty. It just shows that we could be dedicated friends. But if we don't have a right relationship with the Lord, we can not give a good counsel.
Psalms and Proverbs! Years ago as a very new Christian I could not read my Bible. I just could not understand it and that caused me much frustration. I could read technical books, but not the Bible. Someone suggested that I start with Psalms and Proverbs. And I did just that. For some reason Proverbs were so easy for me. I saw them as an Instruction manual on how to live. Just a common sense book. Psalms! Since that time every morning I pray through Psalms. There's so much emotions in Psalms! And theology too. One can teach sermons just from Psalms.

snooch
01-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I completely agree with you about all of that. I struggle with Job because I just find it very, very tedious. As I am reading chapter after chapter of back and forth discourse between them, I know the whole time that everything the friends are saying is to be discounted and in error, and I wonder why so much erroneous thinking is included! The first time I read through it as a new Christian, I did not grasp that everything they were saying was wrong. And then when I got to the final couple of chapters where God finally speaks, and I realized all of what I had just read wasn't even right thinking, I felt really frustrated. I think maybe I have a bias against the book because of that.

And Psalms are so comforting. I can read them when I need comfort, when I need to remember that God is always there even when I feel completely discouraged. I *should* be able to get the same inspiration when I need a nudge to praise God, but when I'm in the good times, I get complacent. I read the Psalms sometimes and it's not with the right frame of [heart?] mind. Just writing about this here is pointing out to me areas where I need to improve and focus more.

I think my problem with Proverbs is with the stanzas. It's very wise, but reading two lines at a time, it's too easy for me to just say, "Oh, right, of course" and move on to the next little stanza, without taking the time to really feel and apply the wisdom in what I just read.

DIANAC
01-10-2015, 07:52 AM
I agree with you about the book of Job. Indeed, we know that those friends are in error. So, why is so much time is allocated to them? I don't know. I am trying to find sermons about Job's friends. Perhaps, by studying those men closely I can see how the humanity outside of Christ thinks.
It's funny how things work out, snooch. This morning I found my brothers books on Psalms by Spurgeon and I already started reading. :)
Have a great weekend!