PDA

View Full Version : Split the bill? Or itemise it?

purple
12-18-2014, 02:25 PM
I went out for a lovely lunch with some friends yesterday, when the bill came I suggested we just split it. Everyone else apart from one person was all fine for splitting it... She was the one who would have been paying 2/3 more than if it was itemised... With the 'I can't afford it' line...

Yet she'd commented she was going to buy a bottle of Prosecco on the way home and if she hadn't had a free bottle of Prosecco courtesy of another of the group she would have bought more alcohol with no problems...

I figure when you go out regularly with a group it all 'works out in the wash'

What do others do?

Kehaar
12-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Generally my friends and I split the bill. One of my best friends will always insist on paying her portion only when we go out. 8-) I suppose if the person was that bothered about it then I'd say let them pay their way and split the rest between the others.

purple
12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
That's what happened, there were 4 of us, C and S1 paid their exact and me and my S2 just split the rest while C tried to tell us our exact amount...

Mrs_B
12-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Whenever I go out with friends we get separate checks and just pay our own meals. I don't know how that would work with ordering a bottle of wine, I assume the waiter would split it equally. amongst everyone?

BelovedDaughter
12-18-2014, 05:00 PM
We always get separate checks. No idea about splitting a bottle though.

Sage
12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I've never done the splitting it evenly thing. It's either someone pays 100% of the bill or we get separate bills and pay for our own.

snooch
12-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I usually get separate checks but sometimes the waiter doesn't do it that way. In those cases, we tend to split the bill. The exception is when some people have alcohol and others don't, since alcoholic drinks tend to be much more expensive than non-alcoholic. Then the people who got alcohol usually pay for their drinks and we split the rest.

If someone fussed about it, especially if they felt they weren't prepared for the cost of splitting it, I wouldn't make an issue of it. They can pay their own bill and the rest can split what's left, or itemize, at the group's discretion.

katzankatz
12-18-2014, 06:39 PM
If the restaurant won't do separate checks then we pass around the check so we can we estimate our own totals. The waiter usually gets a handsome tip as no one wants to be the one who didn't pay their fair share. People tend to pay with cash when eating out with a group in order to easily pay and make change for others.

blythe_ann
12-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I almost always just pay the bill, unless we're out with expensive people, lol. But, I also don't eat out with others very often, so I don't know!

scarygothgirl
12-19-2014, 03:30 AM
I've never done the splitting it evenly thing. It's either someone pays 100% of the bill or we get separate bills and pay for our own.

This is how I've always done it too. I've never even had anyone suggest to me splitting the bill.

purple
12-19-2014, 04:25 PM
It's unusual to be able to get separate bills here, unless you pay at the bar and they can bring up individual items...

Interesting to see how different people do it...

How would you react if someone suggested just splitting it if it meant the difference of maybe 2 or 3 $/???

Mrs_B
12-19-2014, 04:27 PM
$2-3 wouldn't bother me

snooch
12-19-2014, 04:36 PM
It's unusual to be able to get separate bills here, unless you pay at the bar and they can bring up individual items...

Interesting to see how different people do it...

How would you react if someone suggested just splitting it if it meant the difference of maybe 2 or 3 $/???

If it were just a couple of dollars, I wouldn't even blink. I'd probably have an issue with someone drinking $20 worth of alcohol to my water and wanting me to split the bill - but even then, I don't think I'd make an issue of it. I would know for next time to either expect that or make arrangements at the beginning of the meal.

katzankatz
12-19-2014, 07:25 PM
$2-3 is no big deal. If there ever would be a time this would be a hardship for me I'd just say something. Can't imagine anyone would have a problem with that.

GM
12-20-2014, 01:47 PM
oh boy!

Ok. When we go out we usually figure out what each person owes and we each pay our own amount.

When I go out with my g/f's we usually just split the bill. There are times that someone owes a little more than others but it works out over time :D

Jesus-is-the-1
12-22-2014, 03:10 PM
My close friends and I usually take turns paying for the entire check. Occasionally we get separate checks if it's a group. I don't mind just splitting the bill evenly unless it's a huge difference. I rarely ever drink alcohol and some of my friends do, so if we split the bill they automatically throw in extra to cover their alcohol.