PDA

View Full Version : Lunch box ideas

BelovedDaughter
01-25-2015, 06:17 PM
I need ideas as to what to pack DH for lunches. He's sick of sandwiches and I'm drawing a blank. Here's what he usually gets:

-Sandwich or wrap
-granola bar
-yogurt
-cut up veggies (baby carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, green or red bell pepper)
-cut up fruit (apple sometimes, strawberries, blueberries, etc)
-banana
-crunchy item/peanuts/pretzels/pretzel crisp chip things

GM
01-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Soup, pasta, burrito, salad, left overs:-D

Those are items I send to school with my kids. Invest in a good thermos and you're set OR if he had access to a microwave you don't need a thermos:-P

Virginia
01-25-2015, 07:52 PM
http://thepaleomama.com/2013/08/40daysofglutenfreelunche/
I like the link above :)

snooch
01-25-2015, 08:24 PM
My husband will get frozen cheeseburgers (already made, bun and all) from Costco and takes one to work with him. A minute or so in the microwave and he's got lunch. He'll get frozen corn dogs from there occasionally too.

Campbell's makes little lunch-sized soups that are microwave ready. They are pretty good too and come in all kinds of flavors.

katzankatz
01-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Does he give input what he would like? My son likes leftovers best, so I like to cook a little bit extra when making meals.

A big salad with greens, chicken, fruit, nuts, eggs, etc.

Pasta salad

Soup and bread

Tuna (chicken, salmon, egg, whatever) salad with some nice crackers instead of bread

Pickles, olives

scarygothgirl
01-26-2015, 05:48 AM
Sushi is a nice thing to have instead of sandwiches. I keep meaning to make some for when I have to take lunch to work.

Jesus-is-the-1
01-26-2015, 08:18 AM
This is always a topic of discussion at my house. I usually pack leftovers, salad, soup, wraps, homemade lunchables (cheese, crackers, deli meat, fruit). When I have time and motivation, I try to cook several soups and casserole foods and freeze them in individual portions, and then I don't have to think about lunches; I just grab those!

BelovedDaughter
01-26-2015, 09:29 AM
He does have access to a microwave and I send leftovers when we have them, but I'm so used to cooking for just the 2 of us that I often don't make enough extra. He won't eat soup because his mom never made good soup and the sodium content on a lot of ready-to-eat stuff is too high. He does give input but it's very little. It's always, "I don't know." I really need to get into cooking ahead and portioning out things. He says he gets tired of stuff but won't tell me what else he'd like! I'll take a look at that link, Virginia, and see what I think. He also has a huge appetite, so often times, what I pack just isn't enough although I swear it's a lot!

blythe_ann
01-26-2015, 09:38 AM
I don't know what your husband does for a living or what his calorie needs are, but my husband, in training season (he's a fair-weathered cyclist, won't touch it during the winter, lol!), he is all high protein and high calorie count.
His favorite lunch in the summer is
Cottage Cheese (Full Fat) with various "fixings" (he likes fruit in his, I think that's yucky)
Turkey, ranch lettuce wrap in an ezekiel tortilla
Peppers with hummus
then a dessert (desert? I know, I'm one of THOSE people). In training season, it's a peanut butter protein bar.

I like apples with fresh ground peanut butter, smoothies (if you freeze them just keep them out of the fridge until lunch and they will have melted usually), Salad with fun toppings (all of last summer I was on a spinach salad with blueberries, strawberries, sliced almonds and yogurt as a dressing... not really a guy thing, I guess, but it was so good!)

I like the ideas on Virginia's page :)-- I've used similar lists for my husband in the past. Of course, in the winter, he's all about Ramen Noodles and Mac N Cheese. Because, you know, that's healthy and such ;).

BelovedDaughter
01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Blythe, he's a computer programmer/developer. He's not super active at his job but he's a bigger guy. He's 5'11, 230ish lbs. All those foods sound so good to me but I guess you could say he's picky about some things. I cooked something with some butter the other day and he started talking about how fattening butter is. He's infuriating at times, LOL! I appreciate all the suggestions!

DIANAC
01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
He does have access to a microwave and I send leftovers when we have them, but I'm so used to cooking for just the 2 of us that I often don't make enough extra. He won't eat soup because his mom never made good soup and the sodium content on a lot of ready-to-eat stuff is too high. He does give input but it's very little. It's always, "I don't know." I really need to get into cooking ahead and portioning out things. He says he gets tired of stuff but won't tell me what else he'd like! I'll take a look at that link, Virginia, and see what I think. He also has a huge appetite, so often times, what I pack just isn't enough although I swear it's a lot!
Ah! Famous "I don't know what I want to lunch". Is he related to my hub????
IMO, it's because they don't want to make an effort to think as they are occupied with more important things at the moment. They do however think what they want to eat when they are hungry. My MIL said that when hub does not give me any suggestion when it comes to food, just make whatever I decide and serve it to him. But also, you need to know what he does like and make your selections based on that. And, yes, make extra food for your hubby. Cook for 4. It's always good to have extra food. And it's more appetizing and pleasing to the eye.
About soups...Just make some super looking (men are visual) and tasting homemade soup (meatballs and pasta, for example) and serve it with homebaked buns and a piece of cheese. Use "interesting" bowls and plates and watch him devour. :)

GM
01-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Blythe, he's a computer programmer/developer. He's not super active at his job but he's a bigger guy. He's 5'11, 230ish lbs. All those foods sound so good to me but I guess you could say he's picky about some things. I cooked something with some butter the other day and he started talking about how fattening butter is. He's infuriating at times, LOL! I appreciate all the suggestions!

Butter is a good fat:-)

I have 4in my family and cook for 8 so double your recipes and you'll have left overs:-D

BelovedDaughter
01-26-2015, 12:37 PM
I guess I'm going to try to make stuff and hope he likes it! I know that butter is a good fat, but getting that through to him is another story. You ladies are so creative!