PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you - where do you live?

purple
01-30-2015, 03:30 PM
The first thread in our attempt to get back to basics and touch base with everyone...

Where do you live?

Have you always lived there?

Do you like it?

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where?

purple
01-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Where do you live?
I live in Cornwall, England (the far southwest)

I've lived in Cornwall most of my life.
I went to Uni in Stoke-on-Trent (the Midlands) and I moved to Hampshire (mid South England) for a couple years after that to find work but soon moved home.
DH and I went to New Zealand with the intention of emigrating but came back because of financial issues.

Do you like it?
I LOVE Cornwall. The Cornish are very patriotic to our county, we are proud of our heritage and I love that. I also love that it is very different down here, life is slower, more chilled out and the climate is milder than the rest of the UK.

I think I would stay in Cornwall. I would probably move closer to the coast but the actual place where we live right now is amazing! We live in a great house in the middle of the country, we can see the sea on a clear day and have good access to the surrounding towns and a beautiful view!

Jesus-is-the-1
01-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Where do you live?
Florida

I grew up in Indiana and moved to FL for the first time at age 18 (by myself) and I've gone back and forth from IN to FL a few times. I've been in FL for the past 6 years and I don't plan on moving back to IN.

Do you like it?
I love it.

I would stay in FL but possibly move to a less crowded city.

~Kellee~
01-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Where do you live?
Northern CA
Nope, I've only lived here for 2.5 years
Do you like it?
I love the area I'm in, but hate the specific city/town. The surrounding area is great, there is a ton to do, great weather, great food, etc.
I'd stay in this area, but I would prefer a different town. If I had to choose a completely different place it would be the north eastern US.

mina
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Where do you live?

NYC

no, only for 3 years

Do you like it?
not really, it's very crowded, expensive, lots of bad drivers, and I see a lot of pushy-ness or even coldness from people. I don't understand a lot of the norms here.

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where? Yes, I would want to live somewhere less expensive and less crowded. I am beginning to think I'm a small town girl at heart. I can live elsewhere, but it's hard for me.

BelovedDaughter
01-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Where do you live?
Southwest Missouri

Yep!

Do you like it?
Very much!

I would have a very hard time moving. DH interviewed a couple years ago in Seattle and the thought of us moving there scared me so much!

blythe_ann
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Cornwall? Cool! Can I come visit?!
I could say that to everyone, so far, though. I've never been to NYC and it's been a while since I've been to Florida or California. And Missouri isn't toooo terribly far away, but I don't have a reason to visit usually... I do want to go to Branson someday, is that southwest MO?

Where do you live?
Nebraska.

I can't believe it's been almost 6 years now! I grew up just one state north. (I'm kind of curious how many people catch what state that is without checking, lol).

Do you like it?
I do. I miss the trees and I don't care for living on the prairie, but I live in a small town. I can run down the street at 5 AM completely at ease because I know if anything were to happen, three people peaking out their windows would be there to help in a flash. Very friendly, safe area.

We wanted to move for a while because we're so active now and there is so little... activity. If cost of living wasn't a concern, we would move to Boulder area in Colorado because the shopping, the lifestyle and the AMAZING running trails!
In major dream world, I'd move to Shannonbridge, Ireland. I could have stayed there forever when we visited.

DIANAC
01-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Where do you live?
I live in Cornwall, England (the far southwest)

I've lived in Cornwall most of my life.
I went to Uni in Stoke-on-Trent (the Midlands) and I moved to Hampshire (mid South England) for a couple years after that to find work but soon moved home.
DH and I went to New Zealand with the intention of emigrating but came back because of financial issues.

Do you like it?
I LOVE Cornwall. The Cornish are very patriotic to our county, we are proud of our heritage and I love that. I also love that it is very different down here, life is slower, more chilled out and the climate is milder than the rest of the UK.

I think I would stay in Cornwall. I would probably move closer to the coast but the actual place where we live right now is amazing! We live in a great house in the middle of the country, we can see the sea on a clear day and have good access to the surrounding towns and a beautiful view!
Cornwall sounds so...beautifully English. :)

DIANAC
01-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Where do you live? NYC

Have you always lived there?No. I lived in Armenia and Ukraine.

Do you like it? Now I think I do. When we first moved here it took many years to get used to it. EVERYTHING was different. In fact US/NYC was the last place where we wanted to live. But US accepted this political emigree and I am forever grateful.

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where? I did enough moving in my life. Every place has something good and something that can be better. After this place I am moving to Heaven!

BelovedDaughter
01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
And Missouri isn't toooo terribly far away, but I don't have a reason to visit usually... I do want to go to Branson someday, is that southwest MO?

Yes, it is! It's not quite an hour south of my city! :)

Sam
01-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Where do you live? Gardendale tx

Have you always lived there? We moved here about 7 years ago but it's just about 15 miles from where we grew up.

Do you like it? Yes. It's quiet, people don't bug you. It's out in the country and small.

If you had the option to move would you move? We want to move but can't decide where, I want to move near San Antonio and dh wants to move near the DFW area.

snooch
01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Blythe -- South Dakota? :D

Sam -- I'm with your husband, move to DFW :thumbsup:

Where do you live?

Right now, near San Diego.

Have you always lived there?I grew up in Maryland, and moved to Virginia while I was in college. I lived in VA for 21 years before moving to CA 7+ years ago. And I'm very much looking forward to leaving CA for Texas in a few months. :)

Do you like it?Not much. The weather is nice, but boring, and it's really the only thing that makes it worth living here.

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where?Anywhere in the world? I've often thought about living in New Zealand, England, or Ireland for a few years. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably live in each place for five years before settling down permanently in Texas.

Historia
01-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Where do you live?
Fremont, California, which is near San Francisco.

This will come as a surprise to no one, but no. We moved here a couple of weeks ago. I lived the first 33 years of my life in Wisconsin, moved to marry my husband who lived in the middle of Long Island-NY, and then to Michigan a little over 2 years ago for my husband's then-new job.

Do you like it?
Too soon to tell, but I'm excited that we found a great park today. And the nice weather that enables park playing this time of year is nice. Oh, must not forget the diversity that works so well for my husband and son. But I have issues with this place that I'll not get into here.

Not right now because moving 3 states in less than 5 years is enough as it is. There are places that I think might be more ideal for me/us within the U.S. but every area has it's good and bad and maybe this place is best for us. Some days I think living in China would be nice, except food and censorship would be big issues for me. Plus they have serious environmental (water and air, as well as food safety) problems. But we'd have family there which would be nice and my son really enjoyed being there.

katzankatz
01-30-2015, 09:13 PM
This is fun.

I live in SE Wisconsin, a Milwaukee suburb, Wauwatosa.

I have not always lived here. I grew up in north central Minnesota, then moved here where my sister was living (and still does) when I graduated from high school.

Yes, I love it here. Love the upper Midwest, the lakes, the Great Lakes, the down-to-earth culture.

I can't imagine moving and don't see doing that anytime soon. I like it here too much. But never say never. Though I appreciate all the seasons, sometimes winter gets long, and those days I wish I had a beach retreat somewhere in Florida.

GM
01-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Where do you live? I live in Northern California. I love on between Kellee and Wren:-P

Have you always lived there?No. I used to live west of here (south of SF) but moved here mostly to buy a house and because of the schools.

Do you like it? I LOVE it here!

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where?[/QUOTE] If I had to move, I'd check out Washington. .or Hawaii. .. or the Netherlands:-D

purple
01-31-2015, 05:58 AM
Cornwall? Cool! Can I come visit?!

Cornwall sounds so...beautifully English. :)

Anyone is welcome to come visit any time!!!

Cornwall is very different to anywhere else in the UK, you can't go anywhere without going up or down a hill, our roads are narrow and winding, you are never further than 20 miles from the coast but the countryside is beautiful. In cars people let you out at junctions and let you in when two lanes merge, people smile at you in the street and our towns are small. Even a Truro (the city) you can walk from one end to the other in 10 minutes, but the other towns have a lot of independant shops.
There is a huge arts and craft community where if you don't know someone, you both know someone else and there tends to be an atmosphere of support rather than jealous competition!

As you can tell, I love Cornwall! But then I'm Cornish and proud!

Virginia
01-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Purple, Cornwall sounds fabulous :)

I didn't realize we had so many CA ladies here! I've never been to the West Coast... :bag:

Where do you live?
As my name says...Virginia :)
I was born near Houston, TX but moved to VA when I was two years old. After growing up there, I went to college in the DFW, Texas, area for two years; I transferred back to VA to finish my undergrad degree.

So, no ;)

Do you like it?
I love Virginia. We have the beach, the mountains, a big city, D.C. only a couple hours away, a theme park, water parks...I feel like we have everything! We're technically the South, as evidenced by the fact that I got a snow day for two inches of snow the other week ;)
If it were for the right reasons, absolutely. Since graduating high school, I've lived in a different place every couple of years. If I weren't married, I would want to teach English in Japan for a year or two (my grandma is Okinawan and lives in Japan) :)

DH and I might be moving when he graduates from pharmacy school in May...I'm nervous/thrilled/excited!

katzankatz
01-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Anyone is welcome to come visit any time!!!

Cornwall is very different to anywhere else in the UK, you can't go anywhere without going up or down a hill, our roads are narrow and winding, you are never further than 20 miles from the coast but the countryside is beautiful. In cars people let you out at junctions and let you in when two lanes merge, people smile at you in the street and our towns are small. Even a Truro (the city) you can walk from one end to the other in 10 minutes, but the other towns have a lot of independant shops.
There is a huge arts and craft community where if you don't know someone, you both know someone else and there tends to be an atmosphere of support rather than jealous competition!

As you can tell, I love Cornwall! But then I'm Cornish and proud! Sounds like my kind of place.

snooch
01-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Purple is making me think I might like to live in Cornwall for a few years :)

blythe_ann
01-31-2015, 02:37 PM
Well, everyone save your pennies, sounds like we should all be making a forum wide visit to Cornwall.

And snooch, yup, South Dakota! Fun fact: my dad owns one of a hundred and some maps where the company FORGOT to put South Dakota on it! It was North Dakota then Nebraska. Funny!

purple
01-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Well, everyone save your pennies, sounds like we should all be making a forum wide visit to Cornwall.

Oh my gosh! That would be too cool!!!!!

katzankatz
01-31-2015, 06:09 PM

And snooch, yup, South Dakota! Fun fact: my dad owns one of a hundred and some maps where the company FORGOT to put South Dakota on it! It was North Dakota then Nebraska. Funny!
Do people in Nebraska have a southern accent? My aunt lives in Kansas, and she does. My friend from Oklahoma does too. Both accents are "light" though, not real strong.

Ramura
01-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Where do you live? Bowie, MD. Just about a half hour outside of DC.

Have you always lived there? Pretty much. A year in Annapolis, MD (about an hour outside DC so, not much further out) and six days in Ghana, Africa (was going to stay there for two years, but that didn't work out the way I planned).

Do you like it? I do. I'm not very adventurous or outdoorsy, so I'm not particularly picky about where I live. My family is here and there are a ton of places in DC to work, for what I want to do. The beach is a few hours away, the city's super close and there are even hiking and biking trails within a reasonable difference. So if I ever do decide to get off my lazy butt and do something with my free time besides melt my brain with Netflix, I would have options.

If you had the option to move anywhere, would you move? If so, where? Well, if all goes well, by August of this year, I'll either be in Texas, Nebraska, Mississippi, Oklahoma, New Hampshire, Michigan or Virginia for the next 4-5 years. That's dependent on me being accepted to grad school in one of those places, so it's kind of a long shot. But even if I do go, I will probably end up back here after I graduate. The employment opportunities for social science research are better than pretty much anywhere else in the country. If all goes according to plan, I may end up as a single adoptive mother at some point, in which case I could use the support of my family. And at the end of the day, I'm a homebody. I just can't imagine living far away from my family, not seeing my nieces and nephews grow up. I'll probably be miserable for the five years I am gone, lol.

snooch
01-31-2015, 10:44 PM
Ramura, what part of TX might you go to?

tiredwalker
02-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Where do you live? --New Hampshire!

Have you always lived there? --Nope, moved almost 9 years ago from CA--the longest I've lived anywhere in my whole life.

Do you like it? --With all of my heart and soul.

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where? --I would stay right here. I want to be 90 and still living here. :)

What a fun thread!

scarygothgirl
02-01-2015, 03:55 AM
Where do you live?
Oxfordshire, UK

Nope. I grew up in Gloucestershire, then I went to university in Hull for three years, got married and moved here :)
(Btw 'Gloucestershire' is pronounced glos-ta-sher)

Do you like it?
I do, it's a lovely little town we live in. We have no need for a car as everything in the town is a short walk away, and there's good enough public transport to get anywhere out of town. It's quiet, but not so quiet that we don't meet people. It's nice, but no so nice that it's full of upper-class snobs. It's mainly full of working class people with big hearts.

Part of me wants to move back to Gloucestershire to be near my godson, but I don't think I really would. I would love to live somewhere like German or Sweden, if I could speak the language. But I like it where we are really, we're pretty settled.

Kehaar
02-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Where do you live?

Scotland

Always. Growing up my family split their time between Glasgow and Lewis, in the Western Isles, where my mother's family are from.

Do you like it?

I love the north of Scotland and the islands. The cities I will happily do without!

Somewhere north. I loved time I spent in Norway and Iceland has always appealed :D

purple
02-01-2015, 05:59 AM
I loved time I spent in Norway and Iceland has always appealed :D

Iceland is on my bucket list and we loved Oslo, it was just so expensive.,

mum2only1
02-01-2015, 06:20 AM
n/m

mum2only1
02-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Where do you live?
Melbourne, Australia

NO, I used to live in the States. I am from a town north of Indianapolis, Indiana called Anderson. I have lived here 13 years.

Do you like it?
Yes, I do. It's taken a long time to get used to living here, but I am now settled.

I don't like our weather much so I'd like to move to Sydney or Brisbane. If I were to move back to the States I would like to live in SF or Washington State.

snooch
02-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I love that we have so many ladies who aren't in the U.S. -- good diversity :)

blythe_ann
02-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Do people in Nebraska have a southern accent? My aunt lives in Kansas, and she does. My friend from Oklahoma does too. Both accents are "light" though, not real strong.

Not Southern-- if anything it's northern. I hear a lot of long o's and "Monday" is "Mondee".

Ramura
02-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Ramura, what part of TX might you go to?

Waco, I think it's in between Austin and Dallas (or maybe two other popular Texas cities that I'm remembering incorrectly :D), about two hours each way.

What part are you moving to? Is it Dallas? Sorry, I think you probably said so right in this thread, but I'm on my phone and it's hard to navigate back and forth.

snooch
02-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Waco, I think it's in between Austin and Dallas (or maybe two other popular Texas cities that I'm remembering incorrectly :D), about two hours each way.

What part are you moving to? Is it Dallas? Sorry, I think you probably said so right in this thread, but I'm on my phone and it's hard to navigate back and forth.

Waco is between Austin and Dallas :) And yep, we're moving to the Dallas area. I think you'll love Texas! But then I can't imagine anyone not loving it, so maybe I'm biased. :)

Manna
02-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Where do you live? Texas! A small town near Dallas :)

Have you always lived there? Nope! I was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, then moved as a child to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. We moved here about 5 1/2 years ago.

Do you like it? It's growing on me. :) The move here has been a hard transition for me, but it's due to relational and personal issues, not the area! I really do like where I live, and my heart is beginning to settle in our sweet little town. :)

If you had the option to move anywhere would you move? If so, where? I'm not sure. I'm not set on living here for the rest of my days, though I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it. However, I despise moving, and that makes it difficult to want to move anywhere else :P

What a fun thread!

Xinnamon
02-02-2015, 02:48 AM
Where do you live?

San Francisco Bay Area.

Nope. Grew up in Singapore and moved to California for grad school. I lived in San Francisco for a year, moved to a nearby town after I got married, and finally moved to our current town after we bought a house.

Do you like it?

Yes. We have some of the best public schools in CA, the downtown is lovely and the crime rate is low.

I would consider moving to Bellevue, WA or spend a few years in Europe. :)

Ramura
02-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Waco is between Austin and Dallas :) And yep, we're moving to the Dallas area. I think you'll love Texas! But then I can't imagine anyone not loving it, so maybe I'm biased. :)

Haha, the one thing I am worried about is what I have heard about typical Southern friendliness. I'd be the typical Northern snob who doesn't stop and talk to anyone while at the grocery store and generally keeps to myself while out and about and is real head-down and focused at work, etc. I can just imagine having my list of things to do for the day and running errands and bumping into people and just thinking, "why is everyone talking to me?!?! I have things to do!" Lol. Maybe it won't really be like that. I've never been down south for any extended period of time, so I'm just going off of what I have heard.

GM
02-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Where do you live?

San Francisco Bay Area.

Nope. Grew up in Singapore and moved to California for grad school. I lived in San Francisco for a year, moved to a nearby town after I got married, and finally moved to our current town after we bought a house.

Do you like it?

Yes. We have some of the best public schools in CA, the downtown is lovely and the crime rate is low.

I would consider moving to Bellevue, WA or spend a few years in Europe. :)

It seems like anyone who likes the bay area could live in Washington:-P

Manna
02-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Haha, the one thing I am worried about is what I have heard about typical Southern friendliness. I'd be the typical Northern snob who doesn't stop and talk to anyone while at the grocery store and generally keeps to myself while out and about and is real head-down and focused at work, etc. I can just imagine having my list of things to do for the day and running errands and bumping into people and just thinking, "why is everyone talking to me?!?! I have things to do!" Lol. Maybe it won't really be like that. I've never been down south for any extended period of time, so I'm just going off of what I have heard.

It's really not bad :) Here, people are more inclined to make eye contact and smile while walking past each other, or something along those lines, but it's not everyone, and I find you just fit in where you're comfortable. They don't walk around starting conversations (thankfully!), and I rarely speak to anyone but my daughter while in the grocery store :P

Ramura
02-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Okay, that sounds like something I can handle. Well, I guess that puts my mind at ease a little. :) Thanks, Anna.

blythe_ann
02-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Ramura, we're not in the south, but you would experience what you described in our small town! People always talk to me everywhere I go! I sometimes have to remind the grocery clerk that there is a line because they just want to have a conversation. It's kind of funny. I used to hate it, but like most things, I'm used to it. I'm of the smile and wave variety, so people maybe don't notice my watch checking when they are talking to me, lol.