PDA

View Full Version : cell phone help

katzankatz
01-31-2015, 01:23 PM
I knew it would need a charge today, so I plugged it in around 9:30. The battery was very run down. It's not useable, all I get is the low battery screen. Is there any way to charge it faster? It's been almost 2.5 hours, and still the battery screen is the only thing I can get. I want to go somewhere today, and it looks like I won't be able to take the phone with me as it will be useless. This happens A LOT, mostly because I don't use the phone much so am not aware of its battery charge - then when I need it, the battery is dead.

My son showed me that to charge faster put it in airplane mode, and that does speed things up. But I can't do that in this situation because all I have is a low battery screen that doesn't let me do anything but wait several hours.

Jesus-is-the-1
01-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Mine seems to charge must faster if I turn it off while charging.

purple
01-31-2015, 04:31 PM
A phone shouldn't take that long to charge! Sounds like you need a new battery... But yea, if you turn it off it should charge a bit faster!

katzankatz
01-31-2015, 06:02 PM
I'll try turning it off then. Last time this happened I plugged it in around 8am to give it an hour to charge before church. It wasn't ready then, so I brought the charging cord to church and plugged it in there. All morning long it was plugged in. When we left for home it was still not ready. Back at home I checked it again around 3, and it was done then. Yeah that just seems unreasonable.

GM
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Something is off. My phone charges quickly

Snooch?

Jesus-is-the-1
01-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah it does seem like something is wrong. Mine fully charges in a couple hours at most when it's on.

snooch
01-31-2015, 07:38 PM
What kind of phone is it again? Was it a Samsung? If so, they are very finicky about their chargers. I have the charger that came with the phone, and it charges my phone very quickly, but when I use the charger that I picked up at Best Buy, it is slooooooow. So I would start with making sure you're using the right charger for the phone. Even if you have to buy one at the wireless store, it could make a big difference.

The next thing I'd check is that the phone didn't discharge completely. This really threw me off the first time I realized what was happening! The phone discharged, and when I plugged it in, the "Charging" screen came up. And then, for hours, that's all I saw. I could not figure out why it was taking so long! But here's what happened -- when it discharged, it turned off. And when it turned off, and I plugged it in, it did NOT power back on automatically. It was still turned off, but just said charging all the time.

I finally looked it up and realized that after giving it a little bit to charge up again, maybe 30 minutes, I needed to actually turn the phone back on with the power button (on my phone I have to unplug it, turn it on, and then plug it back in again to finish charging) and then I could actually see the progress of the charge. It wasn't nearly as long as I thought it was! So see if maybe that's what's happening to you too.

And then if none of that works, buy a new battery :)

katzankatz
01-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks! Yeah, it's a Galaxy s 3. I'm not sure if I'm using the cord it came with, but it's highly possible I'm not.

What you wrote about the phone discharging sounds like a good possibility. I'm going to let it go dead again and try what you did with your own phone.

snooch
01-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Let me know what you figure out :D

purple
02-01-2015, 02:22 AM
What kind of phone is it again? Was it a Samsung? If so, they are very finicky about their chargers. I have the charger that came with the phone, and it charges my phone very quickly, but when I use the charger that I picked up at Best Buy, it is slooooooow. So I would start with making sure you're using the right charger for the phone. Even if you have to buy one at the wireless store, it could make a big difference.

The next thing I'd check is that the phone didn't discharge completely. This really threw me off the first time I realized what was happening! The phone discharged, and when I plugged it in, the "Charging" screen came up. And then, for hours, that's all I saw. I could not figure out why it was taking so long! But here's what happened -- when it discharged, it turned off. And when it turned off, and I plugged it in, it did NOT power back on automatically. It was still turned off, but just said charging all the time.

I finally looked it up and realized that after giving it a little bit to charge up again, maybe 30 minutes, I needed to actually turn the phone back on with the power button (on my phone I have to unplug it, turn it on, and then plug it back in again to finish charging) and then I could actually see the progress of the charge. It wasn't nearly as long as I thought it was! So see if maybe that's what's happening to you too.

And then if none of that works, buy a new battery :)

Snooch is a techy geek genius!!!!

snooch
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
LOL I love phones :D