PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you - family

purple
01-31-2015, 04:39 PM
This one is all about family (funnily enough)

Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc? (Feel free to share any further details you want - or not)

Are you/were you close to your parents?

Do you have any siblings?

What about extended family? (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc)

We talked a little in Blythes thread about how family doesn't need to be blood, so how about anyone else you consider family?

I know not all families are happy, many have strains and difficulties so please share what you want, there is no judgement here 😀

I'll post in the morning.

mina
01-31-2015, 05:45 PM
Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc? (Feel free to share any further details you want - or not)

Very happily married!

I am very close to my parents. I consider them to be some of my best friends. We don't or haven't always agreed on everything over the years, but they always respect me to make my own choices. I'm very grateful for that.

I have two older brothers. I used to be close with them, but we have all moved back and forth so we aren't as close as we used to be. I am close to their children. I am not close to either of my s-i-l's, and that is probably why I'm not as close to my brothers anymore. One of them can be antagonistic and says weird things to me when we are together so it's hard to be close to her.

My mother was one of 7 children so that side of the family is huge. We used to go on vacations together. My dad's side of the family ; I never really saw except at Christmas. I am FB friends with some of them but have not seen them for years. We have mutual good feelings towards one another.

We talked a little in Blythes thread about how family doesn't need to be blood, so how about anyone else you consider family?

I have a few friends that I always make a point to see when I go home. I would do anything for them. One of them can't wait until we find out the sex of the baby, she's already sent me a list of things she wants to make for it! It's hard to live so far away.

Virginia
01-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Married to my high school sweetheart/only boyfriend ever; it'll be five years this summer :jawdrop: We are very, very happy. There was a brief time during our engagement, as y'all may remember, when I was questioning whether or not to marry him. Looking back, I can't believe I ever doubted it :doh: Seriously, I am so blessed...he is wonderful, and we are truly happy together.

Are you/were you close to your parents? Meh. Kind of. I'm too liberal/opinionated sometimes, and I struggle to forgive them, especially my dad, for some things. Mom and I have gotten a lot closer in my adulthood.

Do you have any siblings? Younger brother and younger sister, both in their 20's also. Two of my husband's brothers are married. My sisters-in-law call us "sisters," but I personally don't think of myself as that close with them and often feel like the third wheel when the three of us are hanging out.

What about extended family? (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc) One cousin. An aunt. A bunch of half and step uncles/aunts I've never met. I wish I'd grown up with a bigger extended family!

Ramura
01-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc? (Feel free to share any further details you want - or not) Single.

Are you/were you close to your parents? Not super close, not like best friends, but I love them and couldn't imagine my life without them. We are different in a lot of ways. I get the sense that Virginia might be able to relate to this, but I feel like I've drifted a bit from my family on account of my evolving political views and even spiritual views to some extent. My dad told me after I took a class on social inequality last summer that I needed to stop going to school because he was "getting worried about me." Lol, I laughed it off (pretty sure he was joking) but it does seem difficult to have serious conversations with my family without getting a tad heated. And I haven't even gotten the guts to talk about some of my less-than-orthodox spiritual views yet. So it may be that our relationship becomes somewhat shallow in the future, but I think we'll always be "close" in one sense or another.

Do you have any siblings? Yep. One brother, three sisters and two brothers-in-law. One of my sisters has three kids, a boy and two girls (second girl due early April!) And I am officially the "fun aunt" which is a title I treasure to no end. :)

What about extended family? (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc) My dad has a brother and a sister and my mom has one brother. Nine cousins altogether. They all live within an hour's drive so we see them several times a year for birthdays and holidays. It's been pretty cool to have that growing up. I didn't realize how rare and special that was for a long time.

We talked a little in Blythes thread about how family doesn't need to be blood, so how about anyone else you consider family? Not really. I have a hard time making friends, so I'm lucky my blood family likes me. :P

I know not all families are happy, many have strains and difficulties so please share what you want, there is no judgement here. Nope, we're pretty drama free in our little everything-is-butterflies-and-flowers corner of the universe.

BelovedDaughter
01-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Happily married!

Close to my mom.

Yes, 1 sister and 2 brothers

I have quite a few!

Some of my close college friends I consider like family.

snooch
01-31-2015, 10:42 PM

Married for 15 years :)

Not at all.

I have three much older sisters (8, 10, and 12 years older than me).

Quite a few. My dad had two brothers, so I have all my Pennsylvania cousins and one still living aunt. My mother was one of nine children, so I have dozens of cousins in Italy, some of whom I likely have never met, and I two living aunts.

We have very good friends in town who are like family to us - their whole family is like family to us, and they've "adopted" us into their family. It's nice :)

Also, my husband had two daughters when we got married, and they are lovely girls. I have grandkids through them. I definitely married into a good family.

Historia
02-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc?
Married for 3 years now to a guy I met in CF Singles. We married after dating a very short time, but it was the best decision I've ever made.

My father is dead and we were never close. My mother and I have had a complicated relationship. When I was young, we had moments of being close, but that ended when I was a teenager and stuff happened. Now I think she'd like to be close, but, frankly, I don't have the patience I would need since she has issues and I'm not as forgiving as maybe I should be.

Yes, an older sister and younger brother.

I have two aunts and one uncle that died of cystic fibrosis. I have two living aunts and one living uncle. (One of the living aunts is actually two year younger than me, so she's always felt more like a cousin.) I have two male cousins from one aunt, two male cousins from the other aunt, and 6 cousins from the uncle. The cousins range in age from 5 to 39. Those are on my mother's side. I don't really acknowledge my father's family (and they don't acknowledge me).

I also consider my in-laws to be family, though we don't speak the same language and rarely see each other. I have two sisters-in-law. Both are older than my husband and each have a daughter (one in college and one around 10 years old). My FIL died a couple of years before I married my husband, so I never met him, which is sad because he adored his baba. My MIL is pretty good. I am no where near the perfect or ideal DIL, but she's never said anything bad about me to my husband. And I thought she was hilarious about my son. When I was pregnant and told her we were having a boy, she was all nonchalant about it and just wanted a healthy baby. When my son was born, she sent text message after text message with how happy she was to have a grandson and how I had given the family so much and how wonderful I was.

tiredwalker
02-01-2015, 12:28 AM
Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc? (Feel free to share any further details you want - or not) Happily married for 12 1/2 years

Are you/were you close to your parents? --Very close. When dh and I moved across the country to where my sister was, my parents followed suit quickly :)

Do you have any siblings? --One older sister and I live with her 3 days a week :P

What about extended family? (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc) I've got an aunt who I'm close with.

We talked a little in Blythes thread about how family doesn't need to be blood, so how about anyone else you consider family? -- My friend from childhood. When my dad got sick with cancer (we had just moved to Chicago from CA), her family swooped in and had me over as much as possible. I love them all. The mother just passed away from cancer and I feel like my own mother has died and I'm grieving with my friend.

I know not all families are happy, many have strains and difficulties so please share what you want, there is no judgement here. -- Not a terrible ton. Dh has had a hard time being the only non-believer in the family on both sides (as many of you know, he deconverted soon after we were married).

Sam
02-01-2015, 01:49 AM
This one is all about family (funnily enough)

Married almost 9 years
Are you/were you close to your parents? We don't talk all the time but yes I'm close to my parents.

Do you have any siblings? One older brother, who is also my next door neighbor.

What about extended family? (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc) tons! 6 aunts, 3 uncles, 20+ cousins. 2 nieces 1 nephew.

My best friend I consider a sister.
I know not all families are happy, many have strains and difficulties so please share what you want, there is no judgement here 😀

I'll post in the morning..

scarygothgirl
02-01-2015, 04:29 AM
I've been married for over a year now, this month we will have been together for four years :)

I've had a lot of difficulties with my parents. As a child I felt neglected by them as the were both struggling with depression and didn't have the time/energy for me. As a teenager I felt angry about that. As an adult I can see that it was not their fault. I will never love them like most people love their parents, but I no longer see them in a negative light.

I have an older brother, who somehow my parents did have the time/energy for when we were young. He is a little spoilt because of that, but we are still friendly.

As a family we are quite close to my mother's sister and father, they visit fairly often. My father's side of the family is larger, but we don't tend to see them so often. I see my husband's family a lot, his parents are our landlords. We're quite close to his sister, who is a year younger than me.

Our godson and his mother are very much part of our family. We try and see them as often as possible, but it doesn't feel often enough. They feel more like our family than our actual blood-relations do.

purple
02-01-2015, 06:22 AM
I'm married, 11 years in July. He was my first boyfriend but second relationship (I had a gf before that)

I am really close to my parents.

As a teenager my mum and I were at loggerheads, it was awful. Some days when one of us would walk in a room the other would walk out. My mum even slapped me across the face once.
After I moved to Uni and then away we became much closer.
Now my mum is one of my best friends. There isn't much my mum doesn't know and with DH working away I rely on my parents a lot.
My mum finds it really hard when DH is home on break as she doesn't see me much... I don't know how she will handle this time him coming home as she's been staying with me while I'm not mobile! It will be very strange!

I have one older brother. He's nearly 3 years older than me and we get on really well!

My mum has 2 brothers and between them I have 5 cousins who are all younger than me, they range from 16-31
That side of the family is very close! My uncle Bob helps my dad with work sometimes and dad will help him, my uncle Richard goes to my parents for his tea every Monday and in the past he has helped with cars and stuff. He took the photos are our wedding.
My grandparents on both sides are dead but on my mums side we were very close.
My mum, gran and I used to go out a couple times a month to take my gran out :) I remember we went to a supermarket once and we were lined up me, my mum, my gran and cashier just looked at us in turn and said 'you have to be related'. Peas in a pod we used to call ourselves!
My dad has an older brother and a younger sister. They both live away from here.
I have a good relationship with my dads brother and his wife and kids but my aunt is just awful and ive not seen her in years of her son. Now my gran has died I doubt we will see them ever again, especially after the fiasco with the will!
I have a great relationship with my cousin Emma on that side though. I even went to Paris for her confirmation. It was the first time we've spent time together like that but it was brilliant!

I consider a lot of my church family real family. I've had such amazing support from them it's amazing. I have lots of extra aunts, uncles, grans and cousins!
Some of my derby girls are like extended family too!

As I've said before there was always tension with my dads side of the family... My gran was very unfair in her treatment of her children and as such us grandchildren.
When the will came out that she had left every last speck of dust to her daughter it broke my cousins hearts and when my uncle questioned her saying 'mum always said there would be money left to the grandchildren' she just said 'the will stands'

Families can be difficult!

mum2only1
02-01-2015, 06:46 AM
I'm married with a son.

I was very close to my mother. I wish that I would have been closer to my dad. They are both deceased.

Two brothers

Family in Texas that I never speak to.
Family in Indiana that I never speak to.
Family in South Carolina that I speak to only once in a while.

My family is my husband, son, dog, bird, father n law, sister n law, her husband, and my nephew.

Jesus-is-the-1
02-01-2015, 09:01 AM

I'm in a relationship.

I've always been really close with my mom, dad and my step-dad. My mom and step-dad live in South Carolina and I see them a few times a year, but we talk several time a week on the phone. My dad lives in Indiana and I don't see him very often but we talk on the phone at least a couple times a week.

I have 9 siblings. (5 older brothers, 1 older sister and 3 younger sisters). We're a blended family. My mom had me and 2 of my brothers; my step-dad had 3 boys and a girl and then together they adopted my 3 younger siblings. We also had 3 cousins live with us at different times while growing up. Unfortunately, I'm not close with any of them. We get along when we see each other, but other than facebook we don't really keep in contact much. One brother and I used to be super close, but he's been on and off drugs for so many years that it's made it difficult. We do talk by text and e-mail every few weeks or so. All my siblings live in Indiana so I rarely ever see them.

I have tons of aunts, uncles and cousins. I'm close to a couple of my aunts and a few of my cousins, but most of the others I barely know. I only have 1 aunt that lives near me and 2 cousins in the same state. All my other family lives all over the country.

My best friend was more of a sister growing up. Sadly, she passed away when we were in our mid 20's.

scarygothgirl
02-01-2015, 10:00 AM
My family is my husband, son, dog, bird, father n law, sister n law, her husband, and my nephew.

I forgot my cats! Mothra and Diogenes are very much a part of our family :)

snooch
02-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Jesus-is-the-1 I had no idea you came from such a large family! I feel like I learned a lot of new things about you :)

Jesus-is-the-1
02-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Jesus-is-the-1 I had no idea you came from such a large family! I feel like I learned a lot of new things about you :)

There was certainly never a dull moment growing up! LOL Sometimes it was a lot of fun! It was difficult too thought because I've always been a loner and with that many kids in the house it could be hard to have alone time! Fortunately, I never had to share a bedroom! :flypig:

blythe_ann
02-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Married to my best friend, 8 years (together 13, since I was 14, almost half of my life already!)

Yes and no. My mom was MOM for the first 18 years of my life and devoted herself to me, so I was close to her, but my dad was distant (both physically for work and because he was a quiet man). But I love them both. Still talk to my mom everyday-- used to call for advice every day in college and when I was first married, and now it's to check on them and make sure they are both okay (getting older). They are the only blood relatives I'm close to, though.

I have a half sister and half brother. Both a lot older. My brother is 20 years older! Haven't spoken to him in years and my sister lives half a country away so not very often do I see her.

Oh, all sorts. All over the country!

Seeing my name in everyone's posts on this thread was giving me a complex :), lol! The first few I kept double taking, like "what are they saying about me?!"
I have a few. My boss and his wife are my "local parents". My running partners are all family in a sense, as they all know more about me than most people do. Every single person that donated or encouraged us to our adoption cause is now definitely a "family" member in that they will get a Christmas letter every year and hold a dear place in my heart.

snooch
02-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Blythe, my oldest sister is 12 years older than me, and I grew up with her, but still the age gap has had a huge effect on the level of closeness/bonding I feel with her. I can only imagine how 20 years would affect things!

blythe_ann
02-01-2015, 05:14 PM
^It's crazy. I had friends whose dad was younger than my brother. Strange. And because he is a half brother, he was kind of out of my mom's life by the time I came along, so he is kind of like a distant cousin.

On a completely different note-- I forgot my dogs. They are definitely family. All 3 of them.

katzankatz
02-01-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm married. Been married for 20 years. It does not seem like that long! Our kids are 17 and 15. Again, it does not seem like that long.

My parents divorced when I was 3. Dad moved 2 states away, and we saw him very seldom. There is no animosity between him and me, it's just that we don't know one another. Like distant relatives. I get along fine with my mom, I guess. In the past there has been some, I don't know... strain, maybe? Our personalities clash. The miles between us has probably been for the best. My mom and dad do get along well anytime they have been together, family gatherings and such. I really appreciate this. I've not heard any nasty comments from either one about the other. I am thankful for this as I know how it can be for other kids of divorced parents.

I'm the youngest of 6. The rest of them are 12, 10, 9, 8, and 7 years older than me. In some ways I am the youngest child and in other ways I am an only child. We all get along, but have not always done so. With time and maturity we have learned how to do this. We've all been married and we all have kids, so I have lots of nieces and nephews. A couple of them I have only met once or twice. I also have 7 greats.

I have lots of extended family. Dad is an only, but Mom is the oldest of 9. They all married, sometimes more than once, and I have more cousins than I even know about. The ones that I know of, I don't know all that well. There is some junk in the family that goes back many decades ago that kept many of us isolated from each other.

I guess I don't consider non-family to be family, but Dh does have a couple of really close friends that we see more often than we do our families.

I might as well include our pets. We have a cat and a dog. They are considered family, but still regarded as animals. Animal family. :)

GM
02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
I am Married and have been for 16.5 years.
I am a middle child with 2 years difference between my older sis and me, and 2 yrs b/n my younger sis and me.
I have quite a few aunts, uncles, cousins. I have all my in law family too who I refer to by name (can't call them sister or brother, etc).
I have close friends who we care about but I've not really considered them family although when friends need me to help out with their kiddos (it takes a village. ..) I consider their kiddos as my own. :-)
Pet fish and shrimp which are considered pets.

snooch
02-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I'm the youngest of 6. The rest of them are 12, 10, 9, 8, and 7 years older than me. In some ways I am the youngest child and in other ways I am an only child.

I really relate to this! I may as well have been an only child for much of my upbringing!

Pet fish and shrimp which are considered pets.

I'm sorry? Pet shrimp?? :D

Virginia
02-01-2015, 11:17 PM
Ramura, it does sound like you and I are experiencing similar things with our families. My dad called me a "libtard" within the past year and questioned my faith in God because of my beliefs about marriage equality. It hurt a lot. Still does. I pretend like it doesn't bother me. I'm sorry you're experiencing similar tensions :hug:

Xinnamon
02-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Married for 8.5 years. :) He was a good friend from high school.

Yes, we are very close. Together with my sister we would do things together weekly even after we became adults.

One sister whom I'm very close to. We talk almost everyday.

I am close to my mom's side of the family.

Hmm. I have close friends that I treasure, but to me family is family. :)

Ramura
02-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Ramura, it does sound like you and I are experiencing similar things with our families. My dad called me a "libtard" within the past year and questioned my faith in God because of my beliefs about marriage equality. It hurt a lot. Still does. I pretend like it doesn't bother me. I'm sorry you're experiencing similar tensions :hug:

:hug: Thanks. Thankfully, my dad has never called me names, but that would bother me a lot if he did. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :( I mostly just get frustrated because I don't feel like anyone in my family really respects my opinion. I think they see me as the rebel (you know, because being liberal-ish is so audacious!) or someone who just buys into whatever she hears in the media and runs with it rather than thinking it through. So mostly I just try to avoid political conversation for now, at least until I can learn to articulate my thoughts and the things I've studied a little bit better.

blythe_ann
02-02-2015, 09:39 PM

That is just not cool of him to say. "Libtard" is such an awful term and it makes the person saying it sound less than intelligent (NOT saying that is the case, it's just so name calling and shallow sounding).

I may not be that terribly "liberal" politically (though, honestly, I'm not that conservative either), but I find name calling offensive on both sides. Sorry it's in the family :(.

Xinnamon
02-02-2015, 11:39 PM

I have pet shrimp too, from Hawaii. :D

snooch
02-03-2015, 12:44 AM

I had no idea this was a thing :D

purple
02-03-2015, 02:50 AM
The pet shrimp thing is so random!

sugarplum
02-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Are you single/in a relationship/married/divorced etc?

Engaged.

Yes, very close.

1 sister, 1 BIL, and a 3 year old niece who is my heart and soul

Lots! On my dads side, it's just his sister and my 2 cousins. On my moms side, I have a huge extended family. I'm actually related to some of them twice (I swear I'm not inbred, lol!).

Absolutely. We have family friends that don't know they don't share our DNA. :)

GM
02-04-2015, 10:46 AM

:D We like variety :P:applause::rolleyes:

katzankatz
02-04-2015, 11:02 AM
I've seen shrimp for sale at pet shops. They are the fancy looking kind with pretty colors and markings. Pretty sure the eating kind do not make the best pets:D

snooch
02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
If I had a pet shrimp, I'm pretty sure I'd name it Captain Cocktail Sauce :P

Jesus-is-the-1
02-04-2015, 06:32 PM
If I had a pet shrimp, I'm pretty sure I'd name it Captain Cocktail Sauce :P

Oh thank you for this. This made me laugh out loud, and I REALLY needed a smile.

snooch
02-04-2015, 07:43 PM
LOL happy to oblige :D

BelovedDaughter
02-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh thank you for this. This made me laugh out loud, and I REALLY needed a smile.

Me too! :poundLOL::lol::laughing: