PDA

View Full Version : Housework Struggles 2015

Gillian
02-12-2015, 06:51 AM
I hope it's ok to start a new housework-related thread. I don't know about anyone else, but I continually struggle to get our house tidy and clean. I also don't know when I can tell myself it's time to stop for the day and do stuff that is not related to housework.

Any advice?

Gillian

scarygothgirl
02-12-2015, 08:34 AM
I struggle a lot with housework. But then I do a Bible study and remember that my hope is in Christ, and God does not care how tidy my house is.

katzankatz
02-12-2015, 09:55 AM
The way I see it is those other non-housework activities are just as important to my day as the housework-related ones. In the morning make a list of things you need and want to do that day, making sure to include fun things or relaxing things.

Are you familiar with flylady.com? It's a website that helps people get their home organized, helps you establish a daily routine.

BelovedDaughter
02-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I am a terrible housekeeper! DH comes home and most of the time, the house doesn't look any better because I'm so consumed with taking care of the baby. He doesn't complain but I feel bad.

snooch
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm so glad you started a new thread Gillian!

You are definitely not alone in this struggle. My house is a disaster. I'm packing boxes and seeing parts of the house that I probably haven't seen in 8 years, and it's gross.

I agree with making a list every day of the most important things to get done that day. Don't overwhelm the list -- one or two big things, one or two small things! Work on those and feel accomplished when you get them done. And give yourself breaks too.

Virginia
02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't have any advice at all but am glad you started this thread :hug: When I come home after being gone from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. or later, the last thing I want to do is housework.

Sometimes I set a timer for a certain amount of time and tell myself to go straighten up one room for that ten or twenty minutes. It's amazing how much I can get accomplished in that time period!

Also, sometimes I purposefully invite people over so I feel like I HAVE to clean my house ;) :bag:

mum2only1
02-12-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm so glad you started this thread because on the way back from taking J and DS to school I told myself what a failure I am when it comes to keeping the house up. I have a girl that cleans for me, but if I have her comes every week for 2 hours it's $70. That is $280 a month. If I spread it out and have her come then she has to stay longer and it usually ends up being $140 and $280 a month. ugh!
I love it when she cleans. I love it when she comes and helps me. I can't do it anymore. I don't want to do it. I make a list and it doesn't get checked off. I can't stand cleaning bathrooms, toilets, refrigerators, ovens....I hate cleaning the laundry room. Our bathroom is disgusting!!!!
I want magic. I want to snap my fingers and it be done. lol

snooch
02-12-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm so glad you started this thread because on the way back from taking J and DS to school I told myself what a failure I am when it comes to keeping the house up. I have a girl that cleans for me, but if I have her comes every week for 2 hours it's $70. That is $280 a month. If I spread it out and have her come then she has to stay longer and it usually ends up being $140 and $280 a month. ugh!
I love it when she cleans. I love it when she comes and helps me. I can't do it anymore. I don't want to do it. I make a list and it doesn't get checked off. I can't stand cleaning bathrooms, toilets, refrigerators, ovens....I hate cleaning the laundry room. Our bathroom is disgusting!!!!
I want magic. I want to snap my fingers and it be done. lol

I can relate to this!! Before we put our house on the market, we're going to have it professionally cleaned, and then pay for someone to clean once a week until it sells. That is a luxury I am going to enjoy while I can :D

blythe_ann
02-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Well, I'm a minimalist and I give lessons 5 days a week out of my home, so my house stays pretty clean. It's easy to dust when you have barely anything to dust, and easy to pick up when you don't have anything to pick up.
But I admit that some deep cleaning things go undone for far too long, and floors are my enemy. With three dogs, I have to vacuum at least once a day, and in the spring (mud, yay!) I have to mop at least once, too. Every day. No exceptions. And it's my least favorite chore. Give me a toilet to scrub, a drawer to organize, not floors! Boo!

katzankatz
02-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Floors are my downfall too. We have lots of hard wood, and since I hate floors, they just don't get mopped as often as they need it. Then one time in Home Depot, on a whim I bought one of those easy wring spin mops. The bucket comes with a basket that spins the water out when you step on a foot pedal. I love it! (well, as much as one could love a mop) It's so much easier now, and it even does the bathroom linoleum well, which I previously could only get clean down on the floor with a spray bottle and way too many paper towels.

So there's one suggestion if you hate doing floors.

snooch
02-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah floors are the bane of my existence. :/

snooch
02-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Floors are my downfall too. We have lots of hard wood, and since I hate floors, they just don't get mopped as often as they need it. Then one time in Home Depot, on a whim I bought one of those easy wring spin mops. The bucket comes with a basket that spins the water out when you step on a foot pedal. I love it! (well, as much as one could love a mop) It's so much easier now, and it even does the bathroom linoleum well, which I previously could only get clean down on the floor with a spray bottle and way too many paper towels.

So there's one suggestion if you hate doing floors.

I've never seen that -- I'm going to look for it, thanks!

blythe_ann
02-13-2015, 04:08 PM
I'll have to look into that, katz!

I just need to buy one of those roombas that goes all day to keep up with the dog hair! Especially the day after dog bath day! I swear we have enough hair to make a fourth dog on our floor almost every day!

katzankatz
02-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Oh yes, the dog hair! I gave vacuuming a break for the last couple weeks when our cat was so sick. Poor guy was terrified of the vacuum, I wanted him to have some peace and quiet. When I finally did get around to vacuuming, the vacuum stopped sucking.
Dh was out of the country, but he is a good fix it man, so I waited for him to come home. He's home now, but no success yet. It has been like 3 weeks since the carpets have been vacuumed, and yeah... Huskies are known for lots of hair.

snooch
02-13-2015, 07:00 PM
You should see the dog hair tumbleweeds that gather in corners and behind the baby gates around here. Oy!

mum2only1
02-13-2015, 08:25 PM
I hate mopping. My cleaning girl is the best mopper. Time to call her. I just can't do it.

Manna
02-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Thank God for this thread! You ladies have seriously made me feel better about myself. I struggle so much to stay on top of housekeeping, and have been incredibly harsh towards myself lately about it. It's really helpful to be reminded that other women struggle with this as well, and don't have perfect homes.

Our home is simply lived in. Always. Someone is ALWAYS home, and it's a small house, so all areas are used every day. Which means I have to work constantly just to stay on top of things. But I can't seem to keep all the plates spinning. I can do wonderfully in one area, but that means I'm lacking in another. Combined with the fact that I homeschool my 10-year-old, I feel like I just don't have enough minutes in the day to be truly successful at keeping house. Ugh.

mina
02-14-2015, 06:08 PM
I think I've given up. Work is emotionally, mentally, physically consuming. Not to mention I'm hardly home. When I am home I want to sleep. I also think I'm depressed which has zapped all my energy. I wish I did have time to focus on the house, because I really enjoyed that but it's just too hard at this time. I only try to keep the sink empty everyday and sometimes I fail at that. I don't care anymore. I do what I can, dh does what he can. My goal is to make it to the end of the school year sane and make sure my baby is healthy. I'll worry about the house when I can. I honestly think I would have a nervous breakdown if on top of everything else I had to keep a magazine beautiful house.

tiredwalker
02-16-2015, 10:25 PM
I clean all day and it's always a disaster. I'm trying to be as minimalist as I can, but I'm the only one out of the five of us. Pthhhhhh

scarygothgirl
02-17-2015, 03:57 AM
I think what bothers me most about the housework in my home is the living room floor. We have a cream coloured carpet that shows any sign of dust or dirt. And two black cats that roll around on it. It gets so filthy, then I vacuum, then it looks just as bad a day later.

Gillian
02-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I too would love a minimalist home, but I doubt if my family would join me in my quest. On the other hand, I did see a recommendation for a book called The Ministry of a Messy House by Amanda Robbie. I like the look of that one.

I have seen flylady's website and belong to several flylady-related Yahoo Groups, but don't get her emails. I also belong to some of the online Messies Anonymous groups. Another good one is Stepping Out of Chaos. I used to belong to several housework-related chat rooms, which were brilliant.

Gillian

Virginia
02-26-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm so proud of myself! I cleaned out my closet and DH's closet and put some stuff into a bag to give away. Little by little...

mum2only1
02-27-2015, 06:13 AM
I don't know how to be a minimalist.
My cleaning girl came with her sister and cleaned for a few hours and it was wonderful, but the next day my husband, son, J, Joey the bird, and Molly the dog messed it up. Joey gets his seed and feathers everywhere, molly gets her hair everywhere, and the boys just throw everything around. Grrr

Gillian
03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm so proud of myself! I cleaned out my closet and DH's closet and put some stuff into a bag to give away. Little by little...

Well done you!

Gillian

Gillian
03-12-2015, 03:41 PM
I don't know how to be a minimalist.
My cleaning girl came with her sister and cleaned for a few hours and it was wonderful, but the next day my husband, son, J, Joey the bird, and Molly the dog messed it up. Joey gets his seed and feathers everywhere, molly gets her hair everywhere, and the boys just throw everything around. Grrr

It feels like a losing battle, doesn't it? Birds are very messy creatures and dogs definitely don't get the 'keep the place tidy' thing.

I've hardly done any tidying recently - just about kept up with cooking, washing dishes and laundry.

Gillian

BelovedDaughter
03-12-2015, 05:20 PM
I need a maid.

Virginia
03-12-2015, 10:50 PM
After working 14 hours today, I came home to a dish full of sinks (all from DH) and a full litter box. I cannot, cannot keep up with the house in this season of my job :( :( :(

blythe_ann
03-14-2015, 03:55 PM
So I have a question that is related to this thread. We have "hard water" here. The bottom of our white shower has yellow orange stains. I have tried bleaching, Oxy-Clean, bakingsoda/lemon juice.
Any other ideas to make these stains go away?

mina
03-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Bar Keeper's Friend, maybe? I know it works well on stainless steel and people rave about it, but I've never tried it for a shower or tile. I saw a youtube video about restoring vintage claw foot tubs with orange stains with this and vinegar and it worked, but I've never used it myself.

snooch
03-14-2015, 09:05 PM
So I have a question that is related to this thread. We have "hard water" here. The bottom of our white shower has yellow orange stains. I have tried bleaching, Oxy-Clean, bakingsoda/lemon juice.
Any other ideas to make these stains go away?

We have hard water, and Scrubbing Bubbles with a sponge gets it out very well. When it's bad, we do have to scrub a little, but it works.

katzankatz
03-15-2015, 01:36 AM
Yellow orange stains - could it be rust? If your water is hard it might have iron in it. I should ask my mom for ideas how to remove it. She lives in a iron mining area, and the water stains everything.

katzankatz
03-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Straight liquid laundry detergent is good for removing scum in the shower. Laundry detergent and a used fabric softener sheet for scrubbing. Put the detergent on there and let it soak for a good while, then wipe and scrub and rinse.

Manna
03-16-2015, 05:24 PM
I haven't discussed this before now, but I have been dealing with a debilitating depression since last spring. It completely took me by surprise, and was the deepest depression I've ever experienced. It has definitely been the hardest season of my life, and that feels so strange to say, since nothing specific prompted it.

Needless to say, my home has definitely suffered because of it. I've done enough to get by. Mostly.

In the last few weeks I've finally begun to climb out of it. I don't feel "free" of it, but I do feel like the worst is over. And thankfully, I've been able to begin to take care of the housework in a more regular fashion. It feels so wonderful! I do have to admit that I'm afraid of losing ground, but I'm just doing the best I can for where I am.

It's just nice to feel successful for a moment! I'm sitting here looking at my nice, clean house, and wanted to share with ladies who I knew would appreciate it also :)

Now if only it would stay clean on its own :P

snooch
03-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I haven't discussed this before now, but I have been dealing with a debilitating depression since last spring. It completely took me by surprise, and was the deepest depression I've ever experienced. It has definitely been the hardest season of my life, and that feels so strange to say, since nothing specific prompted it.

Needless to say, my home has definitely suffered because of it. I've done enough to get by. Mostly.

In the last few weeks I've finally begun to climb out of it. I don't feel "free" of it, but I do feel like the worst is over. And thankfully, I've been able to begin to take care of the housework in a more regular fashion. It feels so wonderful! I do have to admit that I'm afraid of losing ground, but I'm just doing the best I can for where I am.

It's just nice to feel successful for a moment! I'm sitting here looking at my nice, clean house, and wanted to share with ladies who I knew would appreciate it also :)

:clap2: So many hugs! :hug:

Gillian
03-29-2015, 09:13 AM
I need a maid.

Me too. For many years a dear lady called Mary helped my mother in the home and often in my own home here I long for a Mary. Mind you, having Mary didn't excuse us kids from doing our bit to help and I don't know that my own kids would be as helpful.

Gillian

DIANAC
03-29-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm sitting here looking at my nice, clean house, and wanted to share with ladies who I knew would appreciate it also :)

Many hugs to you. I am glad that you are feeling better. Somehow clean house adds to those good feelings.

I love the feeling of having a clean house, especially when I cleaned it myself.

GM
03-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Sometimes it helps to hire a cleaner and just do the upkeep from there<3

Gillian
04-29-2015, 09:10 AM
How's everyone doing? Our house is nearly as untidy as ever, but we're trying to tidy it a bit at a time. We're heading off with the camper van this weekend - it's a bank holiday weekend - so will have to spend some time tidying that, including taking a lot of stuff out so that's there's room for 5 of us to live.

Gillian

snooch
04-29-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm in the middle of chaos LOL. Boxes everywhere, dog toys everywhere, my husband's work papers everywhere. I'm reading to throw it all away!

Gillian
05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
I think we're constantly in the middle of chaos lol. Today I was out volunteering at a charity shop and didn't time to wash the breakfast dishes before going - should have been up earlier. Had late lunch, so breakfast and lunch things are still sitting out. No laundry done either, or general tidying and I'm needing to make a couple of phone calls on behalf of my Asperger Syndrome daughter. So, everywhere is a mess.

Hope things are a bit better for you today.

Gillian

Virginia
05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Anyone done spring cleaning yet?
I haven't! ;)

I came home last night to a sink full of dirty dishes and like 20 ants on the counter. I lost it. I almost cried. I'd been gone from home for literally 16 hours and came home to that :(

DH was then like, 'Well, it's hard for me to be consistent when you leave dirty dishes in the sink."

I leave dishes in the sink when I'm in a rush...they never (or VERY VERY VERY VERY rarely) have any food left on them. I prerinse my stuff HARDCORE and run the disposal to make sure the ants have no food to eat.

Ugh.

mina
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I attempted spring cleaning during spring break. Of course it's all gone to pot now. I try to do small cleaning in little moments.
We have problems with the dishes in the sink too. It's discouraging. We are both gone long hours, and I don't have the time or energy to unload the clean dishes, rinse the dirty ones and reload the dishwasher. Bleh. Forget about hand washing. I have to do it in stages.

snooch
05-14-2015, 12:15 PM
A week from today, when our house is emptier (movers on Monday), a service is coming in to deep clean the house. I'm not even going to stress about cleaning between now and then.

blythe_ann
05-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Mud on puppy paws = my floor will never be fully clean. Ever. Not until fall.

Gillian
05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
A week from today, when our house is emptier (movers on Monday), a service is coming in to deep clean the house. I'm not even going to stress about cleaning between now and then.

I gather you've moved by now? I hope everything went well and was stress free.

Every blessing for your new home!

Gillian

snooch
05-30-2015, 01:09 PM
I gather you've moved by now? I hope everything went well and was stress free.

Every blessing for your new home!

Gillian

Thanks! Not yet - the house goes on the market Monday. It's much easier to clean now, with about 3/4 of our stuff in storage :)

Gillian
06-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Hope you don't have to wait long for a buyer. Good idea to put stuff in storage. Sometimes I wish we could do that - not that we're moving - but we'd probably need things as soon as we moved them into storage.

Dd is still here and her stuff is in the living room, her bedroom, the garage, the bedroom passage way and in storage. I hardly know where to begin with it.

Ds#2's bedroom is wall to wall stuff and he hardly knows where to start.

Ds#3's bedroom is very empty. He cleared out his room for decorating a couple of years ago, but the contents are mostly in the garage as he doesn't want to clutter up his room again by bringing anything back in again.

Master bedroom is well-cluttered.

Gillian