PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day

mum2only1
02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Valentines Day is here on Saturday. Any plans for this special day? :rolleyes:
I'm not really a fan, but I'll make it special for J, DS, and hubby. I've got 2 love heart balloons, teddy bear, and card for J and DS...balloon for grandad and a card...card for hubby and I'm making a cheesecake for him to devour. I'll make special pancakes and bacon for breakfast also.
We have been invited to someone's house for dinner that evening so I don't have to cook. :applause:
We generally stay away from restaurants as they will be packed and I don't get flowers anymore because they are so expensive.
What is everyone else doing? :love:

snooch
02-12-2015, 09:03 PM
We exchange cards and go out to an early dinner. We got reservations at a restaurant we've wanted to try but never got to, so we can check it out before we leave the area - but it's early for a Saturday night, 5:15, and I'm hoping that'll make it less crowded :)

Virginia
02-12-2015, 09:27 PM
DH's birthday is the day after Valentine's Day, so we always combine the two celebrations.

This weekend, though, I'll be out of town all weekend for a volleyball tournament. So, the next weekend when I only have a one-day volleyball tournament, DH is going to come along. We got a hotel for one night (one with a soaker tub! Woohoo!). We plan on going to dinner at our favorite chain restaurant, Cheddars, and maybe catching a movie and just hanging out/relaxing, since we barely see each other right now.

Historia
02-12-2015, 09:28 PM
My husband doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day, other than to buy me whatever treat I request (this year it'll either be truffles or something from See's). He'd think it was silly if I wanted to do something special for our son that day, so I'll wait until our son is a little older to celebrate it with him.

GM
02-12-2015, 11:07 PM
We're going out to lunch tomorrow while the kiddos are at school. SatUrday will most like be a heart shaped pizza and we usually make chocolate covered strawberries. Boys will Get a little bag of chocolates. I had my gift (a facial) scheduled for tomorrow which I ended up cxling due to my crappy crazy week. I'll do it later on.

mum2only1
02-13-2015, 12:19 AM
My husband doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day, other than to buy me whatever treat I request (this year it'll either be truffles or something from See's). He'd think it was silly if I wanted to do something special for our son that day, so I'll wait until our son is a little older to celebrate it with him.

When DS was a baby I just got him little teddy bears. My husband thinks it's crazy too, but I don't care. If he won't make the memories...then I will. :P

katzankatz
02-13-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm supposed to go in to work that day, but I'm betting I won't need to be there long. I'm sure the store will be picked nearly clean.

Other than that, we're low-key, like we are with every holiday. If anything, we will probably do something as a whole family. Go to a restaurant, buy little gifts or candy or whatever.

scarygothgirl
02-13-2015, 02:46 AM
We're visiting our Godson and taking his mother out for a nice meal. She had reservations for her and her partner, but he left them :(

Valentines day is the anniversary of my husband and I first dating, so we will exchange gifts when we get back.

Kehaar
02-13-2015, 06:28 AM
I am single. I will be watching rugby on Saturday. :D

mina
02-13-2015, 08:17 AM
I think my husband made special plans for us…… I might make his favorite dessert. Saturday is going to be so cold and snow; I'd rather just stay home.

Ramura
02-13-2015, 08:38 AM
My church has a "Valentine's Progressive Dinner" every year the Saturday closest to Valentine's day. Since Valentine's day is Saturday this year, that's what I'll be doing in the evening. I have a Verizon tech coming to fix my Internet (hopefully!) in the early afternoon, so I'll be staying home most of the day. No other plans other than needing to make an appetizer for the dinner.

When I was a kid, my mom would make a heart shaped chocolate cake with pink icing every year. And we'd always those little Valentine's candy that said things like "be mine" and other cutesy messages. They tasted disgusting in my opinion, but it was a fun childhood tradition.

blythe_ann
02-13-2015, 10:03 AM
We are all about celebrating love around here. Valentine's Day is just another excuse. We don't do cards, though on year my husband got me a card that was almost as tall as I am, just because it was cool!
This year, because my poor husband has a cold, we'll play it by ear. And, because we are on a tight budget and throwing everything into the adoption, we aren't doing anything extravagant. We have a coupon for half off at one of our favorite restaurants, so we'll probably do that and watch a movie tonight.
I did get a singing valentine, which always makes me cry. The high school jazz choir puts you on a stool and sings a really pretty love ballad to you and then gives you a sugar cookie. It makes me cry because I am usually teaching two or three of those kids and I love them, too. So it's love for my husband and then a different kind of love that I'm getting treated by some of the best kiddos in the area :). And, they sing beautifully.

purple
02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
I will be watching rugby on Saturday. :D

Me too!

DH is away... again... so that's that!

I refuse to let him buy me flowers on Valentine's Day, they are just so expensive. I have a friend who is a florist and she was offering a dozen red roses for £30... OK so that's half the price of M&S but goodness me, it's just mad!

We went out for V's day once and it was just not fun... The restaurant was packed, the menu was limited and overly fancy and it felt like we were on a bit of a conveyer belt and time limit! It was just weird!

I think the idea of involving children and giving valentines to friends is American, I don't know anyone over here that does that!

mum2only1
02-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Me too!

DH is away... again... so that's that!

I refuse to let him buy me flowers on Valentine's Day, they are just so expensive. I have a friend who is a florist and she was offering a dozen red roses for £30... OK so that's half the price of M&S but goodness me, it's just mad!

We went out for V's day once and it was just not fun... The restaurant was packed, the menu was limited and overly fancy and it felt like we were on a bit of a conveyer belt and time limit! It was just weird!

I think the idea of involving children and giving valentines to friends is American, I don't know anyone over here that does that!

In grade school we had to decorate valentine paper bags with our names on them and the teacher taped them all to the bottom of the chalkboard. Stores would sell Valentines Day cards by the packs and the night before we'd fill out a Valentine for each child in the class including the teacher. The next day we'd take them to school and drop them into everyone's bag. After lunch everyone would get their bags and open them. It was embarrasing giving Valentines to boys. They'd say things like,"ewwww....gross....she wrote LOVE in my Valentine" It was rather a humilitating day. In high school you could buy roses or flowers for your boyfriend or girlfriend. I never got one. ugh!

katzankatz
02-13-2015, 09:07 PM
I was such a brat about it when I was little. I did not give Valentine cards to every kids in class, just the kids I liked. There was no rule about it, so I did what I wanted. Like I said, what a brat.

purple
02-14-2015, 03:05 AM
There was nothing like that over here!

DH didn't even realise it was V's day until he saw flowers and cards in his FB feed this morning... He wrote me a poem! They are the best presents ever!

BelovedDaughter
02-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Little Miss A's first Valentine's Day!

judy02
02-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Me too!

I did get a valentine's card from my parents once. But I think I was only about six at the time! ;) But yeah I agree it's not usually the done thing. Might seem odd, however I think it would be nice if they extended the tradition to beyond just couples...