PDA

View Full Version : lent

GM
02-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Lent begins tomorrow. Anyone participating?

scarygothgirl
02-18-2015, 04:12 AM
I keep seeing all these posts about how we shouldn't celebrate lent because non-Christians have turned it into a vanity game of one-upmanship. But we still celebrate Christmas despite what non-Christians do. And just because some people use it as an excuse to exercise vanity and pride, doesn't mean that we all do.

I am wearing a headscarf for the duration of lent. I've read that some Christian women who choose to wear headscarves as an experiment have found the experience to be deeply meditative and help them to think differently about God, obedience, and the culture we live in.

I'm aware that lots of people see lent as being the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday, but most people don't seem to be aware that that is actually 46 days. I'm told many people take Sundays 'off' lent to make it to 40 days, I prefer to end lent at Palm Sunday.

blythe_ann
02-18-2015, 09:41 AM
I grew up Presbyterian and am now a member of a Baptist church, both of which do not traditionally participate in Lent, so I have never done so because I don't know "the rules", and depending on who you speak to, they are different (some are very strict, others are not so much, some think giving up chocolate is good enough, others think that isn't enough of a sacrifice).
I do, however, respect and admire those that do it seriously and for spiritual gain.

snooch
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
I haven't participated since I was a kid. Growing up Catholic, lent was an obligation, and one that I resented and didn't take seriously. As an adult (and now a Christian) I have a great deal of respect for the idea of it, but I still don't participate.

GM
02-18-2015, 12:09 PM
I grew up with no emphasis on lent. I did some poking around a few years ago and really liked the idea of it so decided to participate. While it wasn't easy, it was spiritually helpful to me so I do it yearly. I revisit the idea every year to see if it's something I want to do/should do :)
Blythe - I don't 'do it right' according to some :D I usually give up a few items and everyone tells me to give up one item. I also include Sundays and don't take those 'off'. I'm rather strict I guess.

purple
02-18-2015, 02:47 PM
I used to do a food fast on Wednesdays during lent, I've not done that for quite a while though...

The diocese have given out leaflets on doing a 'Carbon Fast'
They encouraged us to do it last year but they didn't really help in how to do that... This year the leaflet is great... It's got suggestions like 'this week only take showers not a bath' 'turn the thermostat down and wear another jumper' 'only cook with seasonal food this week' 'work out your food journeys at dinner'
So it's about educating yourself long term... It's great...

DIANAC
02-18-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't have a good relationship with Lent. Growing up my only exposure to lent was an onion/walnut/tahini pie that every year would appear in our house as my Grandmother baked it for herself for Lent. It was like a Sicilian pizza with onion filling. Since it was such an odd dish that no one in our family touched it. But I once secretly tasted it and I loved it.
Baptists churches, obviously don't do lent and I felt that they look down at those who walk around with a smudge on the forehead. Around the time of Lent there would be a mandatory sermon on salvation by Grace and NOT BY WORKS. One young lady from my previous Baptist (Calvinist) church angrily asked her catholic friend on Ash Wednesday (on FB, where else!! :) ) "why don't you, Catholics read your Bible instead of wearing that smudge!" I tried to defend that poor catholic soul who feebly tried to explain herself. But I ended up to be unfriended by my Baptist friend. :( Oh, well!
But, stepping back from all the drama, I personally don't find anything wrong with Lent. All seasons in a Christian Calendar help us to remember various events in Church history. And all that points to Christ. Observing Lent/not observing Lent - I am still a sinner. I could grow in my faith by going through personal trials. Lent can help me to remember that I am dust and that I need my Savior every minute of my life.
But personal growth/bearing fruit comes from Jesus. I can not produce my own fruit. My only requirement is to walk with Jesus. "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing" (John:15:4-5).
OK, me and Lent...I wish I could do it. But right now I can not fast as I am trying to recover from whatever bug that I had. Maybe I should bake that walnut sicilain pie????!!!!

blythe_ann
02-19-2015, 07:46 PM
This sounds very familiar, Diana! The definitely "NOT BY WORKS" sermons came out around this time of year. Funny enough, I never made the connection until you said it here. Aw, the Calvinists!

I am not opposed to people doing it at all and I know a lot can be gained through it. I had a friend (a baptist, even!) who followed the local catholic priests rules on lent for the entire season and gained so much from the experience.

DIANAC
02-20-2015, 06:54 AM
:thankyou:blythe
:)

jgonz
02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
We don't keep Lent, however the 40 days before Passover are traditionally a time of introspection and "getting ready" for Passover.

A few days before Passover, all cabinets, refrigerators, freezers, countertops, under the fridge, etc.... all are cleaned to look for leaven (any food or crumbs that have yeast). In Scripture, leaven represents sin. All leaven (yeast products) are to be discarded (or eaten) before Passover starts (this year it's Friday evening, April 3). The Feast of Unleavened Bread starts immediately after Passover, and lasts a week (so no yeast products for a week). I find that this practice brings me closer to the Lord and His Word. :)