PDA

View Full Version : What fun things do you do?

Virginia
06-17-2015, 11:27 AM
When you have free time, what do you do for fun?
It's summertime for me. I plan to read a lot of books, coach volleyball, play volleyball, run, bike, do crossword puzzles, bake...

katzankatz
06-17-2015, 11:36 AM
This question is a good reminder that I should do more fun stuff. I like to make crafts, walk the dog, explore walking paths and parks, hang out at the lake and comb the beaches. I'd really like to get involved in some high-level dog training, but I need to save more money for that.

snooch
06-17-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree, this thread is a very good reminder!

I love to read and play games. I play World of Warcraft, and then games on my tablet too.

I love to go to the beach, just to sit on a towel and listen to the waves and smell the ocean and walk down the beach with my feet in the water. I really need to do that one last time (or as many times as I can fit in) before we leave.

When I just want to chill, I like to watch TV or movies.

Historia
06-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Read, watch Netflix shows, travel (even just little day trips to nearby cities), and hopefully I'll get to start coloring (with coloring pencils) soon once Amazon gets The Enchanted Forest in stock.

I like to go for walks, especially more challenging hiking type walks, but haven't managed to really do that since having the boy. And I love to go to museums, but those aren't really toddler friendly and they cost too much these days. I can't do much about the museums right now, but maybe I'll see if the husband is up for a hiking walk soon and figure out how to do that with the boy.

Virginia
06-17-2015, 01:55 PM
What Netflix shows are y'all into right now?

I was a huge Office fan, so I just started Parks and Rec because it was recommended to me. I'm obsessed with Criminal Minds, too.

snooch
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
I've been re-watching The Walking Dead from season one, and I periodically re-watch LOST too. We were going to start Breaking Bad last summer and didn't have time, but this summer that shouldn't be an issue anymore, so that'll be on our list!

Historia
06-17-2015, 02:49 PM
I finished the only season Netflix has of The Blacklist.

purple
06-17-2015, 03:48 PM
I like to watch Netflix as well. I love Orange is the New Black... Now I've watched the new season I'm gonna watch it all from the beginning again.

But I like to craft, I'll put my hand to most things. Made my own pitch burst the other day for the church summer coffee and craft event. It needs a couple adjustments and then painting but it's going to be brilliant.

Roller Derby takes up quite a bit of time, we have quite a few games coming up that I'm either benching or officiating at which is going to be brilliant.

Then I like to read or just kick back and listen to music...

I intend to do quite a bit of just kicking back over the summer and hopefully I'll get in the sea quite a bit swimming too. I want to do some swim challenges next year so need to start getting in the sea now so I can swim all year round (yes I am insane)

mina
06-17-2015, 05:13 PM
I Read a lot, we like to hike and bike. I think I'm the only person in the worldthat doesn't have Netflix. I would probably like it, but just have never explored it. I like to cook and bake, especially new things. I love to redo furniture, sew, and paint. I haven't done much of any of this for the past year. Our life is about to change dramatically this summer in a good way. I want to embrace that and become better at photography.

DIANAC
06-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Then I am the second person in the world who does not have Netflix.
I love, love to garden. I love, love my flowers and I love photographing them. I love creating greeting cards using photos of my flowers. This way when I send someone a Happy Birthday card I am also sending them my blooms. We love antiquing. I love to cook and bake, decorate and redecorate. I love to read. I used to do alot of needle pointing and used every free second doing that. But that stopped maybe because I am in a different season of life. I also don't sew anymore which I used to love before. But somehow I started crocheting now and loving it!

blythe_ann
06-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Virginia, if you haven't started Chuck on Netflix yet, I highly recommend it. We loved it so much we bought the series. You may not like it if you don't like spy shows, but it's just a clean, fun show. And Zachary Levi is pretty cute, kind of like John Krasinski :).

I love to run, bike, walk, hike, and play music. I try to learn a new instrument a year. My favorite thing this summer has been walking to a park or coffee shop and writing in a journal. And cooking or baking, though in the summer, it's mostly just salad and crock pot prep :).
We love movies and board games, mostly Scrabble. I also like to go to Farmer's Markets and town events, because I always make tons of memories.

DIANAC
06-17-2015, 09:49 PM
I try to learn a new instrument a year.
I am impressed! How many instruments do you play??
I am just trying to keep up with my piano.

Virginia
06-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Blythe, I LOVE Chuck! What a great show!! :) Isn't Zachary Levi a Christian, too?

Kehaar
06-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Gaming, reading and planning some long walks/camping trips over the summer if I get time. I start a new job shortly and am not allowed annual leave in my first three months so that might limit what I have time for. Boo. :(

BelovedDaughter
06-18-2015, 11:33 AM
I love cooking, baking, listening to music, watching TV/Netflix (we don't have regular tv channels, satellite, or cable), playing games, grocery shopping, things like that. I like watching Grey's Anatomy, Hart of Dixie, Leverage, Cupcake Wars, Man v Food (almost any show that involves food!), and Switched at Birth. I'm sure there's more.

GM
06-18-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm the third person w/o Netflex and I don't have a DVR so I need to catch shows when they're on if I want to see them. I'm into Little House on the Prairie :D I used to watch Criminal Minds but it got a little too gross/scary/crazy for me.

I hate reading but am in a book club so I'll be reading, walking, hiking, swimming, and travelling :)

DIANAC
06-18-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm the third person w/o Netflex and I don't have a DVR so I need to catch shows when they're on if I want to see them. I'm into Little House on the Prairie :D I used to watch Criminal Minds but it got a little too gross/scary/crazy for me.

I hate reading but am in a book club so I'll be reading, walking, hiking, swimming, and travelling :)
Yes, Little House and Judge Judy - LIVE! (whatever that means), no recording thingie for me.
I now read more and more on the computer. Except for my old books..

katzankatz
06-18-2015, 02:07 PM
I love traveling too. Day trips and weekend road trips are great. I'm kind of put off about airline travel for now:( .

blythe_ann
06-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Blythe, I LOVE Chuck! What a great show!! :) Isn't Zachary Levi a Christian, too?

Yes, and he's pretty eloquent about it, too. He impresses me. And he sings. I kind of have a Hollywood crush on him.

GM
06-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Yes, and he's pretty eloquent about it, too. He impresses me. And he sings. I kind of have a Hollywood crush on him.

His marriage last year lasted six months :/ He's available ;)

Ramura
06-18-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm a Netflix fiend. :D Not something I'm particularly proud of, but oh well. I often watch while doing other stuff, so I convince myself that it's not unproductive. I've gone through almost all the Star Treks (about halfway through the original series now, then I'll just have Voyager). I've watched Fringe, Breaking Bad, 90210, Alias, Nikita, Dawson's Creek, to name a few. Started Parks and Rec but it struck me as a lame knock-off of the Office, so I stopped. Now I'm thinking I need to watch Chuck.

I hate to say it, but I don't do much else for fun. I used to read a lot, but I think watching TV so much has actually fried my brain a little. I'm not joking. I try to read now and I just can't concentrate long enough to get through anything. Something I need to work on. I do read quite a bit of articles and whatnot (as long as they're not too long). I love researching. This week, I've literally spent hours researching bike maintenance and tips for bike commuting. I've also spent time in the past researching other stuff, anything from politics to diet and health.

I do quite a bit of cooking, but that's not really for fun. More because I've learned McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A don't constitute a wholesome, sustainable diet. :P

After I move in August and get settled in, I hope to develop some better fun time habits. I want to start biking more (hence the bike research). Still working on other ideas. This thread helps. :)

blythe_ann
06-19-2015, 12:43 PM
His marriage last year lasted six months :/ He's available ;)

Yeah, that kind of put a damper on my crush on him... a Hollywood marriage. Unfortunate. Still cute, though, lol.

Virginia
06-21-2015, 06:30 PM
I also really like planning things- bridal showers, gatherings for friends, birthday dinners. I'm excited to move into a house in a few weeks because I will feel like I can invite people over for game nights and such :) So I guess "entertaining" would fall under something else I like to do for fun.

Christina
06-21-2015, 08:52 PM
This is a great thread!

It depends on the mood I'm in. Usually I'll pursue one of my creative outlets. Either I'll practice piano, record a song, draw something, or go out and take pictures. For complete relaxation, I'll find some series on Netflix of something I've never watched that seems to go along with my interests and I'll watch it. Right now I'm in the middle of When Calls the Heart. At times, I'll play games, usually city building games which I enjoy because they are challenging with having to balance the budget and figure out resources and city planning and that sort of thing. My favorite city building game to date is Cities: Skylines which I play on Steam, but occasionally I'll also play SimCity 4. Sometimes I'll watch TV or a movie but rarely. If I lived in a nicer neighborhood, I would sit outside and read or draw, but unfortunately this isn't a pleasant neighborhood so even though I do try that, it fails at relaxing me.

Melissa1208
06-28-2015, 03:33 AM
We go to the beach and the park a lot these days.