PDA

View Full Version : Creeds

purple
06-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Our module this semester is about the Creeds.

We are on our last week and I just read in our manual that some sections of the church is North America do not subscribe to the either the Nicene or Apostle Creed.

Do you proclaim a creed in your church?

BelovedDaughter
06-18-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure what is considered a creed. We have a covenant but I'm not understanding what a creed is when I look it up. Maybe someone else could help?

katzankatz
06-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Not in ours. I've only been involved in Baptist or founded-as-Baptist churches. They typically don't subscribe to any creeds. I think back in the beginning the Baptists were about separation from the world as well as separation from other denominations, and creeds can be associated with Catholics and others. I don't think anyone today (in our church) would object to what the creeds state, but traditionally they just aren't a thing we grew up with.

BelovedDaughter
06-18-2015, 11:44 AM
I've been Baptist (Southern) almost my entire life, so I'm guessing that's why I wasn't understanding!

snooch
06-18-2015, 12:04 PM
I grew up Catholic so we recited the Apostle's Creed every Sunday in church.

Since becoming a Christian and remaining non-denominational, only one church I've attended has specifically included the Nicene Creed in their doctrine. That was a Southern Baptist church in Virginia.

Like Katz said, I don't think any of the churches we've been to would disagree with the Nicene Creed, but it's not something we specifically ascribe to either.

It was interesting to me when I began attending Christian churches and first heard the Nicene Creed how it is so similar to the Apostle's Creed, which I was very familiar with, and yet had some differences. The part about Jesus descending into hell, in particular, seemed to be a significant distinction between the two.

purple
06-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Snooch, one came from the other which is why they are very similar. The Apostles Creed came first then the Nicene Creed and then the version we know of the Apostles Creed was influenced by the Nicene Creed...

The bit I read said one of the denominations was Baptist churches in North America which particularly disassociated themselves from the creeds, so it is interesting what you say katz about them not subscribing to separate themselves from the other denominations, since they came about to bring unity.

I thought studying them was going to be dry and dull but it's actually been quite interesting in parts.

GM
06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Hmmm...we don't recite anything in church. We do sometimes sing Hillsong's Creed :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AQeYL9c74

felinity
06-18-2015, 04:18 PM
I've recited the Apostle's Creed and Nicene Creed in the Episcopal Church, and on occasion in the United Methodist Church (in which I grew up). I think the farther a denomination or church body strays from having a standard liturgy, the less likely you're going to find any standard creeds recited.

purple
06-18-2015, 06:01 PM
GM thanks for posting the song.
That is a really good creed... I like it...

One of our assignments is to write our own creed and then explain why we have written it.

It's going to be a challenge but could be really interesting.