PDA

View Full Version : Rub shoulders or reach out in faith?

purple
07-04-2015, 09:41 AM
I've not proof read this yet, I've just finished writing it, but can I get some thoughts on this for an all age talk?

I want to tell you a story about two people

One of them we know the name of the other We don't

Let's start with the latter and for sake of our story we will call her Deborah.

Deborah lived in Israel in the 1st century, a long long time ago.

She had grown up like most young girls of her time. Helping around the home. She had friends and her family loved her very much.

The she got to and age, like all young girls do where she hit puberty and her body started to do all kinds of weird things. But her family told her it was normal. but because she was Jewish once a month she became 'unclean'. You see once a month all women bleed it's just what we do, but for Deborah one day things changed.

She never stopped bleeding so her family and all her friends saw her as constantly 'unclean'.
She was cast out of the family home and no one wanted to know her. She had to beg on the street and people said horrible things about her.

For 12 years any money she could find she spent seeing doctors and all kinds of people who said they could make her well again, make her clean again but all they did was take her money and left her in a worse state than she was in already.

Then one day a man came to her town.

This mans name was Jesus,

Deborah had heard all about Jesus. When you live on the street there isn't much you don't hear about.

She had heard that this man could heal people, in fact the latest news was he had cured a man who had been filled with an awful spirit, he had cast the spirit out into come pigs who had run into a lake and drowned so the spirits could harm no one else.

Maybe this man, maybe he could be the one to heal her. He didn't ask for money, just to trust in him, that he was from God and he could heal people of all kinds of sicknesses.

There was a huge crowd gathering all around this man Jesus and then the leader of the synagogue came up to him saying something about his daughter being sick. If he was willing to put his trust in this man surely he must be who he claimed to be.

Jesus starts to walk off towards this mans house and scared she might lose her chance she pushed rough the crowd. Forgetting all the fear that she usually felt form people being mean to her about her condition she was focused on getting to Jesus. If she could only get to him, touch him in some maybe that would be enough.

Everyone else as rubbing shoulders with him but she stooped down, reached out, and touched the edge of his robe.

That's when it happened.

Somehow, after all these years, she was healed. Her bleeding stopped. She knew it, she could feel it inside of her. It was gone.

But Jesus stopped. He knew something had happened.

She tried to back away not wanting to make a fuss but he was asking who had touched him, and she knew it was her he was talking about.
The synagogue leader was anxious for Jesus to get to his daughter so she found her voice and said 'it was me' and I told him my story.
He took my hand and looked me right in the eye and said 'your faith has healed you'

For Deborah that day changed her life. But only because she was willing to reach out to Jesus and she went away thinking 'I wonder who else might have had their life changed if only they were willing to reach out to Jesus rather than just rubbing shoulders with him.'

So that's Deborah. Now onto our other person.

His name is Jairus.

Now Jairus lived in the same town as Deborah but he was an important person in his town. He was the leader of the synagogue.

But Jairus' daughter was sick. No one knew what was wrong with her but she was getting sicker by the day.

Jairus too had heard about this man Jesus. He was causing a few problems in the higher ranks of the Jewish community and to be honest Jairus wasn't sure what his friends would think of him if he went to see this man.

But he was desperate so he too put his fear aside and ran out to see Jesus when he heard he was in town.

Dropping to his knees he begged Jesus to come and see his daughter so he might be able to heal him.
Jesus saw the desperation in Jarius' eyes and said he would go. But then the most frustrating thing happened.
Jesus stopped. He said someone had touched him. Of course someone had touched him, he was in the middle of a huge crowd, people rubbing shoulders with him every step of the way.
But he stopped to talk to this woman in rags who looked like she had been living on the street. Did he not know who Jairus was? He was the leader of the synagogue for crying out loud.

And in the time he had taken to stop, the worst news possible arrived.
His daughter had died and he and his friends said to not worry Jesus anymore.
But Jesus said he would still come. He said 'just have faith'
Faith? His daughter was dead.

But still come is what Jesus did.

And he went into see his daughter and said the most bizarre thing possible to a dead little girl.
He said 'little girl' get up. And she did. And started walking around as if nothing had happened.

That day the life of Jairus and his daughter had changed, but only because Jairus has reached out to Jesus. And Jairus thought 'I wonder who else might have had their life changed if only they were willing to reach out to Jesus rather than just rubbing shoulders with him.'

That day in that town Jesus was surrounded by people everywhere he went, but the lives of 2 people were healed because instead of rubbing shoulders with Jesus people reached out instead. They reached out with faith and hope that Jesus can and would heal. For one it was for herself, for another for someone he loved.
One highly respected, another and outcast. For it matters not who you are, where you are from, if you have faith that Jesus can and will change your life, he will.

So my question for you today is 'will you continue to merely rub shoulders with Jesus, or are you willing to reach out in faith and hope, looking him in the eye and ask for his healing power in your life.?'

DIANAC
07-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Please let me get back to you.

Virginia
07-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Can you explain what an "all age talk" is? :)

snooch
07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
I think it's a good message. The only thing of any substance that I'd change is the end of the woman's part where the story changes voice from third person to first - "The synagogue leader was anxious for Jesus to get to his daughter so she found her voice and said 'it was me' and I told him my story.
He took my hand and looked me right in the eye and said 'your faith has healed you'" I'd keep that consistent in third person. I'm also not sure I'd give her a name, as that could be confusing to people who maybe aren't as familiar with the story in the Bible, and Deborah is a name that is prominent in other parts of scripture.

But the message itself I think is very good.

purple
07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Can you explain what an "all age talk" is? :)

A talk appropriate for all ages... the kids will be in the service.

purple
07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
I think it's a good message. The only thing of any substance that I'd change is the end of the woman's part where the story changes voice from third person to first - "The synagogue leader was anxious for Jesus to get to his daughter so she found her voice and said 'it was me' and I told him my story.
He took my hand and looked me right in the eye and said 'your faith has healed you'" I'd keep that consistent in third person. I'm also not sure I'd give her a name, as that could be confusing to people who maybe aren't as familiar with the story in the Bible, and Deborah is a name that is prominent in other parts of scripture.

But the message itself I think is very good.

Thanks for pointing that out Snooch... I'm thinking I might ask the congregation what we should call her... reason behind giving her a name is to personalise it, many people feel they can engage better if they can personalise it.

Virginia
07-04-2015, 10:51 PM
The last question in the message is very thought provoking :) Thank you for sharing it. I understand wanting to personalize it, and if this talk is supposed to be appropriate for all ages, I think it accomplishes that goal, too.

DIANAC
07-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Sorry for the delay, purple. Yesterday I wasn't feeling that well.
I would add this.
What does rubbing shoulders with Jesus mean? Going to church, quoting Bible verses, wearing a cross, etc.
Jesus has a power over death. Jairus' daughter was dead. The woman's life was ebbing away. He controls our physical life.
Jesus has a power over our spiritual life. He gave the woman an eternal life.
The word "healed" usually means “saved.” There is a double meaning here. Not only was she healed physically, she was healed spiritually. She was saved.
She had faith that He could heal her when she approached Jesus. She demonstrated her faith when she touched him. She was focused on touching His garments as if they had some magical powers, but God graciously responded to her faith even though it was not mature.
Maybe the reason Jesus stopped was to tell the woman that it was her faith that healed her so that she wouldn’t continue in her superstition.
How many times when we are sick we only want to be healed?. But when encounter the healing touch of Jesus we suddenly see ourselves as a wretched sinner and need Him to heal our soul as well and give as peace.
How should be come to Jesus? Desperately, humbly (like Jairus), shamelessly revealing our sinful condition (like the woman), trusting only in Him and not in things that look religious (church building, cross, a hem of his garment). ONLY Jesus gives healing and life!

purple
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks Diana. I would go into that more depth in a Communion Service but we try and keep it a bit more accessible for a Family Service.
Also it needs to be shorter so there wasn't time to do all that.
If I was to do a more 'traditional' sermon I would put those things in. Though I do not agree that she thought his garments had magical powers so we might need to agree to disagree on that one.

Our vicar said my story telling skills were great though so another successful morning :)