PDA

View Full Version : Hello Fresh or Blue Apron?

Virginia
07-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Has anyone used either of these services?

Something I need to get better at is cooking from scratch, but just the thought of meal planning and grocery shopping *during the school year* makes me head spin and I stick to easy meals or frozen meals. I heard about Blue Apron and Hello Fresh from a friend, and I just signed up for Hello Fresh. They send you three meals worth of premeasured ingredients.

Just wondering if anyone here had used them or had any reviews of them! All I know is that it will be cheaper and better for us than eating out all the time ;) AND it will make me cook. I like cooking, but I lack creativity and time, so this will force me to get into the kitchen :clap2:

snooch
07-05-2015, 01:23 AM
I've not heard of them, but I'm intrigued :)

GM
07-05-2015, 01:50 AM
I've heard of blue apron :) I don't do either but they do sound like a good idea there's no time to cook :)

mina
07-05-2015, 11:24 AM
I've heard of them both, but have not tried either. Blue apron is heavily advertised here, so I just assume they are expensive, but I don't know.

Virginia
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Blue Apron is $60 a week; you get three meals for two people.
Hello Fresh is about $65 a week, and you also get three meals for two people. They both have options to feed four people.

Looking at our finances, we spent way way way too much money eating out this past year. I'm embarrassed :( We're better during the summer when I'm home to cook.

Looking through the recipes makes me excited...they have dishes like "Ginger Marinate Steak Wraps" and "Peruvian Shrimp Ceviche Tacos" and "Rosemary-Walnut Crusted Chicken
with Roasted Potatoes & Mixed Green Salad" :) Delicious.

purple
07-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I have Hello Fresh for a while before I got bored as their recipes started repeating a lot and I wasn't getting new ideas so we stopped them for a while. They I had an almightily falling out with them.

I would say they are OK to get some ideas together but once you have a bit of a stock of them just the raw ingredients yourself and save money.

Just make sure you make any swaps on time.

blythe_ann
07-05-2015, 06:47 PM
I have heard of both. You know what was actually really awesome during the busy season for us last year? The buzzfeed two week clean eating challenges. You can print out the calendar PDF and the grocery list PDF and you can go to all of the recipes right on the site. There are quite a few of them and quite a few variations (vegetarian, paleo, etc.). I only did two, and had to change things around for taste and grocery expense, but they worked out really well. http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/clean-eating-2015#.atwkBYKZe Here is one I mainly stuck to.

I know that isn't quite as convenient as having the food delivered to your door, but, it made it so I didn't have to think for a month, which was nice :).

Virginia
07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Well, Hello Fresh will be delivered next Thursday.

Even if I don't do this for a long time, it will definitely help me get back into the swing of cooking...and it will motivate me to unpack my kitchen boxes from the move. Bahaha.