PDA

View Full Version : Let's pretend...I'm going on vacation

Virginia
07-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Let's pretend that next summer, DH and I want to do a vacation with another couple who's our age. DH and I live in VA, and they live in TX. We are all athletic, like outdoorsy things, like to learn, and have good senses of humor. Last time we hung out, we went to an MLB baseball game together, did an Insanity workout, played volleyball, baked cookies, and played with dogs. So we're pretty laid back, sporty people overall.

We have thrown around several states as destinations. California is one. Colorado is another, but other couple goes to Colorado frequently.

We're not big beach people. We'd probably fly and then rent a car wherever we are.

Suggestions...? Let's pretend, for now, that money is no object ;) Haha.

mina
07-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Arizona, maybe. There's lots to do: hiking, kayaking, rafting, camping, wine trails.... we went a few years ago and went to the Grand canyon and Sedona. The hiking was great! Lots of outdoorsy and sporty things to do. It might not be so pleasant in the summer though. We went in the Fall and it was perfect weather. Tourism is down in the summer so you can get really good deals on nice hotels, some areas in the northern part of the state are nice weather even in the summer.

snooch
07-10-2015, 04:24 PM
I would say Utah or Montana. Great weather in the summer, you can be in the mountains or kayak on the rivers, camp, hike, or do more adventurous adrenaline-y kinds of things if you're up for a more unique experience - like paragliding or bungee jumping. It's beautiful and less expensive than some of the more traditional places people like to vacation.

katzankatz
07-10-2015, 08:28 PM
If it's wilderness you like, I highly recommend Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Sable Dunes in northern Michigan. You can get your fill of physical activity there, mostly hiking, and the scenery is breathtaking. It's very remote, the biggest drawback is that it's be several hours from a major airport. That is where I was hoping to go next weekend, but now can't:( . So all I can do is recommend it :)

GM
07-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Utah!

Virginia
07-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Arizona, maybe. There's lots to do: hiking, kayaking, rafting, camping, wine trails.... we went a few years ago and went to the Grand canyon and Sedona. The hiking was great! Lots of outdoorsy and sporty things to do. It might not be so pleasant in the summer though. We went in the Fall and it was perfect weather. Tourism is down in the summer so you can get really good deals on nice hotels, some areas in the northern part of the state are nice weather even in the summer.
That sounds awesome! I do wonder about the heat, although we're all used to humid heat, and I've heard Arizona is dry, at least :)

I would say Utah or Montana. Great weather in the summer, you can be in the mountains or kayak on the rivers, camp, hike, or do more adventurous adrenaline-y kinds of things if you're up for a more unique experience - like paragliding or bungee jumping. It's beautiful and less expensive than some of the more traditional places people like to vacation.

I LOVED Utah when I went (for volleyball Nationals) in 2002...great suggestion! The mountains and waterfalls were gorgeous.

If it's wilderness you like, I highly recommend Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Sable Dunes in northern Michigan. You can get your fill of physical activity there, mostly hiking, and the scenery is breathtaking. It's very remote, the biggest drawback is that it's be several hours from a major airport. That is where I was hoping to go next weekend, but now can't:( . So all I can do is recommend it :)

I'm sorry you can't go anymore :( That's a bummer!

Is it wilderness as in camping...? I'll admit I'm not really into that, haha ;) Give me a hike to a waterfall, ziplining, white water rafting, paddle boarding, biking, etc., but don't put me in a tent, lol :)

Utah!

Another vote for Utah- where in Utah? :)

katzankatz
07-11-2015, 08:26 AM
That sounds awesome! I do wonder about the heat, although we're all used to humid heat, and I've heard Arizona is dry, at least :)

I LOVED Utah when I went (for volleyball Nationals) in 2002...great suggestion! The mountains and waterfalls were gorgeous.

I'm sorry you can't go anymore :( That's a bummer!

Is it wilderness as in camping...? I'll admit I'm not really into that, haha ;) Give me a hike to a waterfall, ziplining, white water rafting, paddle boarding, biking, etc., but don't put me in a tent, lol :)

Another vote for Utah- where in Utah? :)I dislike camping too. No, they do have some hotels up there. :)