PDA

View Full Version : When is "autumn" for you?

Virginia
07-26-2015, 10:31 AM
I feel like my summer is almost over...for me, summer is over when school starts (so September 8th), even though it's still hot ;) When does autumn begin for you?

DIANAC
07-26-2015, 02:27 PM
September 1!!!!!! Period! I go by meteorological seasons!

judy02
07-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Beginning of October. Sometimes if we're lucky, we can still get hot days in September.

blythe_ann
07-26-2015, 03:20 PM
When every coffee shop on earth starts selling pumpkin flavored things ;)

katzankatz
07-26-2015, 04:10 PM
When the trees start changing color fall is not far off. This begins around the middle of August. I start mourning the passing of summer and eventually start welcoming fall. By about mid to late September I'm ready for it:)

snooch
07-26-2015, 04:13 PM
After Labor Day :)

purple
07-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Beginning of October. Sometimes if we're lucky, we can still get hot days in September.

I'm with Judy... We usually get some nice days in October down here too but the temp drops and the colours of autumn set in and you get the crisp mornings.

I love autumn!

Virginia
07-26-2015, 06:14 PM
It's my favorite season, Purple! :) I love scarves and bon fires and pumpkin flavored everything and apple cider. Sigh...I can't wait for fall this year.

mina
07-26-2015, 06:54 PM
When the air is crisp and i can wear cute boots.

judy02
07-27-2015, 08:21 AM
It's my favorite season, Purple! :) I love scarves and bon fires and pumpkin flavored everything and apple cider. Sigh...I can't wait for fall this year.

You have bonfires in autumn in the USA? Cool :)

Oh...and also Virginia, why do you feel summer is almost over, when you have the whole of August and the first week of September left before you're back at school??

Stop wishing your life away my dear! :P

BelovedDaughter
07-27-2015, 11:45 AM
When it starts really cooling off, which is sometime in October usually.

purple
07-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Well if todays weather is anything to go by Autumn is here today... it's cold, it's wet, it's windy!!!

Virginia
07-27-2015, 04:40 PM
You have bonfires in autumn in the USA? Cool :)

Oh...and also Virginia, why do you feel summer is almost over, when you have the whole of August and the first week of September left before you're back at school??

Stop wishing your life away my dear! :P

Honestly? Because that means I'll be out of the first trimester and the chances of miscarrying will drop drastically :)

purple
07-27-2015, 04:43 PM
^^ thats a totally real reason for wanting August out of the way!

Christina
07-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Usually I go by when the leaves start turning and/or the temperature drops. Our summer is quite short here in the Northeast. It really starts cooling off in mid-September...then in October, it's not unusual to get our first snow, even if it is just a dusting. I suppose technically the beginning of fall is in September, but then the end of it is in December, which is wayyyyyyy far off considering that we have well below freezing temperatures and snow on the ground before then :D Fall here goes very quickly from "nice" to "freezing" so I don't really enjoy fall. There is about one week of comfortable and nice weather, but that is it.

Christina
07-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Also, school starts late August when the temperatures are still QUITE summery so I can't say that's autumn. I do wish the kids had more time off from school.

Mrs_B
07-27-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm so not ready for fall, but I definitely feel like summer is almost over. I consider fall/autumn to be mid sept to thanksgiving-ish. We get a lot of snow at Thanksgiving time, unfortunately, so I think of that more as winter. (Last year we got a foot of snow the day before, we watched from the top floor of the hospital the day after DD2 was born)

GM
07-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Mid Sept usually. It's when the evenings have a slight crisp to them. Our autumn days are warm still - all the way thru October usually but the night temps drop and the leaves begin to change and I! LOVE! IT!

judy02
07-28-2015, 05:25 AM
Honestly? Because that means I'll be out of the first trimester and the chances of miscarrying will drop drastically :)

Ah ok. Well that is fair enough then! :)

tiredwalker
07-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I usually say end of August because the trees start changing, but it's been on my mind for the past two weeks because the leaves are changing on a few of the weaker trees. The blueberries aren't even in full swing yet and we're having hot temps, but I can feel it coming.

---I can hardly wait for you to be in the "safe" zone Virginia! I hope you have the coziest, most special autumn of you life!

AngeliqueShara
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
I love that you use Autumn, because it is such a lovely word. Fall, not so much.

I see it as starting in early August, so September 22 is mid autumn. late October / early November is the end because that is usually when we start to see the snow begin, and then Solstice / Christmas is mid winter. Spring is early February until late April, early May.

Apple / caramely autumnal treats are not indulged in until after Labour Day, and pumpkin ones preferably not until after mid autumn - but they can both go until thanksgiving, along with gingerbread which is acceptable from November until January.