PDA

View Full Version : Book!

tiredwalker
09-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Hey Ladies!
I know I don't come in here often--oh the childrens--but I did want to recommend a great book that I just read. It's title and general description are a little misleading--sounds like it's purity book for young ladies; this is not so! The author is my sister's former professor at Moody Bible Institute and she just knocked it out of the park. It's a quest and plea for women to rely on their intelligence and not their role. Don't just accept your leader's (Dad's/husband's) theology, study it yourself. Figure out the "why" behind the rules (ex: modest clothing--not for helping the boys, not to be placed in a box, but to not dress in a way that will make people objectify you).

It's so wonderfully written. Reading it made me feel like I was sitting in a coffee shop with my favorite prof absorbing her every word and thinking on who to apply it immediately afterward. It's good for young women (for a better start at life), for mature women as a reminder and reaffirmation, and for mother's of daughters.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802405649/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=69457003596&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14633007149616022997&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8td69o1768_b

Virginia
09-09-2015, 09:01 PM
That sounds really, really good! Thank you for sharing :) I'm not a fan of the traditional modesty books that perpetuate beliefs I don't think are healthy or biblical, and this sounds like a breath of fresh air.

snooch
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the recommendations! And it's good to see you here :D

DIANAC
09-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Hi! Just purchased it!
Modesty and chastity is not only a biblical evangelical invention. It's very much a part of my culture where I grew up.

judy02
09-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Thank you TW :)

Even though I have respect for Christians who believe their husband is the leader, in the marriage, I did once read a Christian book that actually encouraged men to try to make sure they knew more than their wives about scripture and biblical principles...it is a good thing to want to be a healthy example to someone else, but that rang alarm bells for me. The scriptures encourage ALL believers to grow in knowledge and to study diligently. It is healthy and necessary for all believers to become strong in our relationship with Christ and biblical principles. We should never rely on any other human fully for that...

Anyway getting side tracked, thank you for the recommendation :)

tiredwalker
09-11-2015, 05:10 PM
It's true, Judy. I think (not be bring a bunch of serious sad stuff), of the Dugger situation. From all appearances (which we all know can be completely deceiving, but she seems honest) Josh's wife held to the submissive "perfect" wife and she got royally messed with. I know that I would have the mental and career resources to take care of myself and children should something like that happen. When you are insular and submissive to others, they can control you. If you take charge of your dignity, theology, education, etc., you can have a say in your own life and even have an influence.