PDA

View Full Version : Harvest festival...

purple
10-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Do you celebrate harvest festival in your church?

If so what do you do?

I'm preaching at harvest again this year, last year it was based on the potato harvest and how our internal harvest needs to match the crop with is displayed to the world...

This year I'm thinking of going the global harvest, the benefits of a global society but the responsibility which comes with it...

I know you don't all agree with me 'preaching' but I thought I would ask you...

What do you think the benefits of a global society are?
What are the responsibilities which come with it?
What does the bible have to say about it?

Sage
10-01-2015, 05:16 PM
We have a harvest festival each year at my church. We just do it as a chance to love on the community. It's a free event and we provide a hot dog dinner, games, inflatables, rides, and lots and lots of candy. We usually get about 3000 people from the community attending.

snooch
10-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Our churches do Halloween things without calling it Halloween - they usually call it a harvest party or something like that, because, you know, naming it something different but doing the same exact things like dressing up and getting candy makes you more holy or something. :P

I think I need more information on what you mean by a global society. In my mind, there are too many cultural differences, too many wars, too many enemies, too many biases, for there ever to truly be a global society, but I might be talking about something completely different than you are. :)

Virginia
10-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Do you celebrate harvest festival in your church?

If so what do you do?

I'm preaching at harvest again this year, last year it was based on the potato harvest and how our internal harvest needs to match the crop with is displayed to the world...

This year I'm thinking of going the global harvest, the benefits of a global society but the responsibility which comes with it...

I know you don't all agree with me 'preaching' but I thought I would ask you...

What do you think the benefits of a global society are?
What are the responsibilities which come with it?
What does the bible have to say about it?

No, we don't, because it just feels like trying to make Halloween "Christian" ;)

Off topic, but I think it's silly that people don't agree with you preaching :shrug: You're answering God's calling on your life. Praying that He gives you guidance regarding what to talk about at harvest this year.

DIANAC
10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
""

purple
10-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I love your view on doing halloween but calling it something else Snooch, that made me giggle!
We had someone ask if we were going to do a 'light party' or not and I'm not a fan of them... There is a balance to be made of showing people the way and shouting 'you evil people' at them ;)

But when I say a global society maybe we feel it more over here than in the states...

but part of what I'm going to do is to go through basket of fruit and veg and play 'UK or NO?' basically 'was this item grown in the UK or somewhere else, and if not, where was it grown?'

The items I've got are from the UK, but also from Spain, Italy, Mexico, China, Brazil etc... so we can benefit from a wider selection of food.

But also cheaper food, cheaper cars, better technology all because we are not just the UK, but a 'global society' we are a world working together... (some of the time)

But the responsibilities which come with that are...

accepting if we want cheap clothes someone somewhere has to pay for that... some in sweat shops, some with their lives working in unsafe factories who cut on health and safety to make things cheaper.

learning that if we want to go in and make a difference in other countries we have to be willing to deal with the fall out (Syria, Afghanistan etc)

If we want to accept the benefits and reap the rewards of living as a whole world, we need to be willing to accept the responsibilities which comes with that. We can't just pick out the good bits and ignore the bad...

A hard hitting harvest message but one which is very apt for the current media climate...