PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treating

Xinnamon
10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
This is NOT a thread on whether Christians are allowed to participate in Halloween activities. :D

As someone who didn't grow up in the US, I have a noob parent question:

What is your trick or treating routine like with your kids, or when you were a kid?

I usually just stay home and hand out candies during Halloween, and this is the first time I'll be going Trick or Treating with the kids. What time should we start? We only knock on the doors of decorated houses with the lights on right? Lol I'm really new at this!

Historia
10-29-2015, 04:36 PM
I don't take my son trick or treating because it was cold and I didn't really feel like it in Michigan. Now that we're in Calfornia, I'd rather go to a church festival, since he gets afraid of scary things and many types of candy he can't eat anyway. So, I can't help with little kid experience.

But growing up, there was a time set by the city when trick or treating began. At that time we'd go door to door and just knock, say the phrase, and hold out our bag. We went to houses that were not decorated (since decorating wasn't really all that common in my hometown), though it was preferred that the house light was on.

mina
10-29-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm not taking my baby trick or treating, bc she doesn't have teeth. But, when I was growing up and what I plan to do is to go around five or six, when it just starts to get dark. We only went to houses that had lights on or decorations in the yard. When I got older, we went out later, when it was good and dark! I plan to take violet next year.

katzankatz
10-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Our city and surrounding cities have set times, but some individual neighborhoods have their own times. Ours is always the last Sunday afternoon of October. Participating people turn on their outside lights.

You might want to look in a newspaper or community newsletter, if you get these where you live, for possible times and "rules". Some businesses or shopping malls will also host a trick or treat afternoon.

snooch
10-29-2015, 06:02 PM
A lot of neighborhoods don't have set times -- so don't be surprised if yours doesn't.

With little bitties like yours, most people usually take them out early. I have the littlest kids knock on the door (with the help of mom and dad :D) as early as 4pm, but it's usually more like 5:00 - 5:30. That gets you home before dark, and gets the kids out of the way of what can be really overwhelming if there are a lot of loud and boisterous older kids out.

Generally speaking now-a-days, if a house is dark, don't knock. If a house is not decorated, but still has a porch light on, it's okay to knock. Don't knock more than once. If they don't open within 15-20 seconds, they probably aren't giving out candy.

GM
10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
I've never heard of neighborhoods having set times. Odd!

When the sun goes down...you start😁
Most of the little kiddos come early (before their bedtime i guess) and wet usually turn off our light around 945/10

GM
10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Basically what snooch said

snooch
10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
I turn off my light at 9:00. After that, it's teenagers who don't bother to put on costumes and just demand candy. :P

Melissa1208
11-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Here the set time was between 5-7. We live in the country so no one trick or treats - I was going to take the kids to the clients from my works neighborhood but it was pouring rain so we went to the mall for trick or treating. I've never done that before it was pretty weird. my daughter can't have candy because she's a baby but my son can have some of it if it is soft. we didn't get to do how in for the last 2 years because of illness and there was no way I wasn't going to celebrate this year. if people want to judge because of the age of my children they can go ahead. it is a fun family activity and cute to dress them up. we are making memories :)

Virginia
11-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Natalie Grant posted an interesting Facebook post that made me think of you, Xin :) She talked about celebrating princesses, fairies, and kids dressing up :)

Xinnamon
11-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Natalie Grant posted an interesting Facebook post that made me think of you, Xin :) She talked about celebrating princesses, fairies, and kids dressing up :)

I looked it up and I agree with her. :) Dressing up is a wonderful thing! We had so much fun trick or treating. :)

mum2only1
11-02-2015, 06:07 AM
When I lived in Indianapolis...kids started walking up at 6pm and lights were turned off at 9pm