PDA

View Full Version : JW

DIANAC
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Hello, ladies! Did anyone engage JW in a conversation?
Each time JW come to my door they catch me at the busiest time of the day and I have very little opportunity to talk with them. A few weeks ago two JW ladies came to my door. I told them that it's seems that they do not want a 2-sided conversation with a Christian on important topics of the Bible and how one JW never kept her appointment with me for tea and conversation. So, these ladies said that they would like to come for tea/coffee. And today they called me and I set a date for tea and so we can discuss from my Bible.
Did anyone had a conversation with JW and how did it go? Any pointers that you could give me, would be appreciated.

GM
10-30-2015, 03:31 PM
I haven't. Prayers for you!

snooch
10-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Oh wow, no I haven't, but I think it's great that you are doing this!

When I was student teaching 4th grade, a boy in the class was JW, and he was one of the most unhappy kids I'd ever seen. He couldn't celebrate birthdays or give Valentine's cards or do any of the other celebratory things the kids in the class participated in. When they had movie hours, he couldn't watch, he had to sit alone in the classroom and read a book. It made me so sad for him.

My only other experience with JW is a couple of good friends of my husband's. The wife was JW when she and her husband met (he was not and still isn't to the best of my knowledge) and she kind of broke away from it for a lot of years. In the past decade or so, she's gone back to it, and stopped going out with their friends, stopped sending Christmas cards, stopping doing all of the kinds of things they used to do together for fun. It's been hard on him as a result.

Praying for your meeting and that it goes well! When are you getting together with them?

snooch
10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
I thought I remembered John Piper doing a short message about JW. I found it in audio form - I haven't listened to it again though.

http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/when-jehovah-s-witnesses-knock-at-your-door

snooch
10-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Here's another resource that might be helpful.

http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/how-to-witness-to-a-jehovahs-witness-1408500.html

katzankatz
10-30-2015, 06:27 PM
I've had some conversations with them, mostly short ones standing at the door. For a while I had one phoning me once in a while to give me some kind of bible verse with a message of some sort to go with it. A lot of that was just basic Bible knowledge like God loves you. You can't really argue with them about those basic truths. But, of course you know it goes deeper, and that's where it gets difficult to talk. They have answers for every question you ask. This is why they spend so much time at their kingdom hall, learning the "answers" to all the difficult questions, and the answers make total sense to them. They are very confident in their beliefs. I find this very challenging, personally. It catches me off guard. One reason they always visit in couples is so that they have another person to back them up and protect them from falling away.

Only use your bible as a reference. They view all other Bible literature as apostate, except for their own watchtower publications, which to them are on the same level of authority as the bible. They will not be open to any thing other than a real bible. Use a plain king James version if you have one. Until they came up with their own New World "translation" this was an acceptable version. All others are viewed as apostate, and they won't listen or discuss anything read from a different version.

Sometimes they welcome prayer at the beginning of the visit. But they do not believe in the divinity of Christ, so praying to Jesus or in Jesus name will not be welcome. Be careful if you do any praying that you pray to Jehovah or God, which you can totally do as a follower of Jesus.

Do you have any literature of theirs that you can read up on? They have a book called "What Does the Bible Teach" (something like that) that will give you what you need to know about their beliefs. I was given one several years ago and still keep it on the bookshelf in case I need to reference something.

The book "Kingdom of the Cults" had a very good section on the JWs. I'd recommend it if you can get your hands on it, even checking it out from a library. It's a big volume covering all kinds of cults and world religions, which is revised every few years to reflect the frequent changes in the doctrines of these organizations and religions. It gives a great rundown on their beliefs and also the history of the organization and the way it works today. It would also give advice on ministering to them. If nothing else it is interesting reading. :)

Well, I don't know if all that was helpful or not. :) I find it hard to talk to them, which seems to be the consensus. They tend to want to leave you alone if you challenge them too much. They are careful about forming friendships with non JWs because the fear of being influenced by an apostate is very real to them.

I would be interested to know how your visit goes! I'll try to remember to pray.

katzankatz
10-30-2015, 06:35 PM
I thought I remembered John Piper doing a short message about JW. I found it in audio form - I haven't listened to it again though.

http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/when-jehovah-s-witnesses-knock-at-your-door

Yes, I've listened to that as well, and think it's very good.

DIANAC
10-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Thank you, snooch! Thank you, katz! Thank you, GM!
snooch, it's on the 13th! I wish I could do it sooner. But I have busy couple of weeks ahead of me! I listened to the second piece. Thank you! In fact that is exactly what I did last couple of times when JW came - showing them that we differ because of their misrepresentation of Jesus. Once, I asked them what is it that they are offering. When they said that they are offering to teach how to lead a better life and behave better, I said that we don't need JW for that. Some unbelievers are outstanding citizens and very charitable too. :)
snooch, I will continue listening to those resources. katz, thank you for your pointers especially about the KJV. I am planning to have a few versions available.
Each time they come I am usually in the middle of something and do not have time to talk. I find that it is fun to talk to them. They do know their verses but they memorized the official explanation what those verses mean. So it would be fun to delve into the Bible. No, I would NOT be praying with them. Correction, I would not want them to lead in prayer. But if they agree I would pray to Jesus.
I do have resources and I need to really-really read up. I am planning to have a list of important topics to discuss including the verses and not let them lead the conversation.
JW, as it seems to me are trying to change their image. They started coming with their little children, some are very young. They are now bringing very smart young teens with them - those who know their JW official policy and are using all the proper words.
I am more scared than I should be. Maybe it's because of the "scary" image we have of them. But in fact they are just men and women and children who are brainwashed into one particular doctrine. I must remember that I have a real help of the Holy Spirit. They don't.

snooch
10-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Don't be frightened. Every angel who ever made an appearance to a human in the Bible started out with those words. And remember, the word of God does not return void. :hug:

mum2only1
11-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Hello, ladies! Did anyone engage JW in a conversation?
Each time JW come to my door they catch me at the busiest time of the day and I have very little opportunity to talk with them. A few weeks ago two JW ladies came to my door. I told them that it's seems that they do not want a 2-sided conversation with a Christian on important topics of the Bible and how one JW never kept her appointment with me for tea and conversation. So, these ladies said that they would like to come for tea/coffee. And today they called me and I set a date for tea and so we can discuss from my Bible.
Did anyone had a conversation with JW and how did it go? Any pointers that you could give me, would be appreciated.

The ones that come to my door just start reading as soon as I open the door. I had to put a sign up to keep them from knocking. They never wanted to hear what I had to say. My mother tried to talk to them because they do not believe that Jesus and God are the same. My mother said,"What about the Trinity?" They just ignored her and said what they wanted. My mother told them it's not a conversation if only one side gets to speak and she kindly told them good day and shut the door.

mum2only1
11-02-2015, 06:21 AM
I warn you to be careful letting them into your home.....wouldn't a cafe somewhere be better. I remember one girl wanted to come in to speak with me. I didn't feel comfortable with that at all.

DIANAC
11-02-2015, 08:01 AM
I warn you to be careful letting them into your home.....wouldn't a cafe somewhere be better. I remember one girl wanted to come in to speak with me. I didn't feel comfortable with that at all.

Why? What if I invite a non-believer to my house to coffee to talk about Jesus? Why is this different?
Someone else also told me not to invite them to my house. WHy?

snooch
11-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Not because they are non-believers, but because they are strangers. It's a dangerous world, and inviting strangers into your home, who may not be who they represent themselves to be, can be a dangerous situation.

DIANAC
11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Yes, snooch, indeed! How could I forget that?
let me see how I can undo this.

DIANAC
11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Just cancelled my meeting with JW. Thank you for your advice, mum and snooch! I had a brief conversation over the phone and disputed their claims that our Bibles are the same. I also told her that I am not continuing this conversation as she was trying to bring Jesus down. I told her to try to read other than JW translations to better understand salvation. I also told her that if Jesus is not God but "a god" as JW translation says then salvation as in John 3:16 is useless. It would be better if we go back to sacrificing goats and bulls. She listened (finally) and we ended! :) :) :)

snooch
11-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I think you handled it well Diana - and definitely safer over the phone than in your home :)

DIANAC
11-03-2015, 09:11 AM
The reason JW are scary is because they are very much schooled in their theology, specific way to present their view and scripture memorization. When they start speaking, they do it very aggressively without even listening to the other person. For example, I started with John1:1. The lady indeed requested that we read from KJV Bible. Katz, you were correct. From John1:1 she only addressed the topic that God and Jesus are separate. I told her that she is preaching to the choir and asked her to go back to John1:1 where is says that Jesus IS God. But without answering me she immediately started bringing other verses to further substantiate the fact that Jesus and God are separate as if that makes Jesus less God. Then I had to get her attention which was not easy because she was wound up and I tried to explain the concept of Trinity to her. Since she could not say anything which was surprising I was able to talk about that. She tried to regain her composure and brought another verse from Psalm about Jehovah. That is when I said that I am not participating in this conversation where she is trying to bring down my Jesus and gave her a pep-talk about her salvation, bulls and goats.
:)

katzankatz
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
It's hard to discuss things with them because they really aren't interested in a 2-way fair conversation. They are so fearful that they might be influenced by what you say that they have to shut you down. If they don't shut you down, the person with them will. In a way, they gang up on you. They have to set the rules. It's not a fair discussion to begin with, so it can't really go anywhere meaningful. Ordinarily, sharing the gospel with people works best when you already have an established personal relationship or friendship with that person. But JWs will only be your friend if they perceive you might be open to their interpretation of theology. It's a sad way to live, constantly being on guard, not able to be friends with people you really like. They can have their relationships within they society, but even there, what are t their friendships based on? Helping each other follow the rules?

DIANAC
11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
True, katz! That is what I try to tell them when they come to my door. As you said, they don't listen.

Gillian
11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
I heard a former JW who became a Christian speak on this topic. She said that when JW's come to our door, we should share with them our own testimony, our own experience of having the Lord Jesus in our lives.

Just like any other non believers the JW's are very needy people, so we should join with Diana in praying for this particular couple that God would lead them to Himself by His Holy Spirit. You sowed the seed, Diana!

Gillian

snooch
11-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Agreed Gillian!