PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

snooch
11-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Just wondering what everyone's plans are for Thanksgiving this year. :)

My husband and I are driving to St. Louis to spend Thanksgiving with his kids and grandkids. His daughter has to work Thanksgiving day, so we're going to visit and prep Friday and have Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. There's going to be a lot of people and kids and animals in a small space, so I'm expecting chaos. :P

Historia
11-21-2015, 11:11 AM
We'll probably just go to a restaurant that evening and otherwise it'll be like any other. We did that last year, too, in Michigan.

snooch
11-21-2015, 11:22 AM
We'll probably just go to a restaurant that evening and otherwise it'll be like any other. We did that last year, too, in Michigan.

I actually really like the simplicity of that. One of my favorite Thanksgivings was when we were driving from VA to CA with the car packed to the gills and our dog in the backseat, and we stopped at a Cracker Barrel on the way for Thanksgiving dinner that we ate with plastic utensils out of styrofoam take-out boxes in the parking lot. They ran out of forks, so we ate everything with spoons. :)

Ramura
11-21-2015, 01:01 PM
I love the idea of a simple holiday! With my family, I've never actually experienced it and probably never will unless I outlive my parents all my siblings, which would be sad. Nice to dream about though. :)

This will actually be my first Thanksgiving ever away from my family. :( I moved to Texas for school in August and my family is in Maryland, so it's just too big of a trip to make for less than a week. Especially when I have a ton of final projects/papers to work on and wouldn't get much quality time anyway.

Fortunately, some friends from back home are actually moving here this month and I think I'll be spending Thanksgiving with them and their family. It might be kind of awkward since I won't know most people there, but hopefully it will be fun and at least distracting me from missing my family. :)

Mrs_B
11-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Celebrating with my side of the family at my parents house. Possibly the last we will do for a long time if everyone's plans to relocate follow through

katzankatz
11-21-2015, 07:44 PM
It will just be us and Grandma this year. We talked about going to a restaurant, but I think I'd rather eat at home, at our house. If we eat at home we might do steaks on the grill since we hardly ever eat steak. Day after we're heading to Minnesota for my niece's wedding. I wasn't really looking forward to the trip at first, but now it's getting more exciting.

Virginia
11-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Ramura, I'm glad you have friends to be with for Thanksgiving!

DH and I are taking a two-night trip to the mountains. We're staying in a hotel, sleeping in, reconnecting, eating out, hiking, watching football, etc. Poor DH has been working 14- and 16-hour days and deserves a break :(

Xinnamon
11-22-2015, 12:30 AM
To be honest, I don't know yet. We will likely just have a simple dinner with the boys and my mom. My husband and I both don't love turkey, so we may do duck.

mum2only1
11-22-2015, 04:45 AM
I'm doing Thanksgiving at my friend's house this year. I always do the dinner on a Saturday evening. Her house is bigger. I'll do the food and take it over or do a few things there. I am celebrating it with all of my bible study this year plus an American friend.
A friend of mine just moved from here to NYC so I really wish I was celebrating Thanksgiving with her in New York and going to the parade. I've always dreamed of being in NYC on Thanksgiving.

Anyway...my friends have a pool so if it's a warm day they may swim.

snooch
11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Xin, I grew up in an Italian family, and there was always lasagna on Thanksgiving as well as turkey. :P

Xinnamon
11-22-2015, 12:40 PM
I may add a Chinese touch to dinner as well. :D

blythe_ann
11-22-2015, 03:31 PM
We'll be here and as usual invite a couple of people who have no where else to go. If no one comes, our dinner will be particularly healthy, but I'll put more traditional stuff on the table for company. My husband always routes for company ;). A couple of years ago it was two Japanese engineers who had never eaten turkey. Last year was a bachelor. Who knows this year. We usually don't figure it out until the day of.

Christina
11-22-2015, 06:19 PM
I want lasagna on Thanksgiving day! I mean I like turkey but I'll never pass up pasta lol

We are going to hubby's parent's I guess on Thursday for a while...not sure. I don't usually eat the food there because it is REALLY bad...his mom, bless her heart and as good of a woman as she is, cannot cook so I choke down a few bites and keep quiet. Then on Friday we are going to my mom's house...I should say, my mom and her new husband's house. That should be interesting but it will be nice, I think. I don't like having to go to both families. I wish we could pick just one. But hubby's family insists we be involved with them every single holiday.

BelovedDaughter
11-23-2015, 05:25 PM
We are going to my SIL's house this year for lunch/dinner. That morning, I just might get to meet our very own webmaster poochie poo! Her travel plans bring her close to my house on her way to her final destination, so we may get to have coffee or something that morning!!!

snooch
11-23-2015, 08:36 PM
^^ I hope so! :D

At this point, I just hope I still have my sanity at the end of this trip. We haven't even left yet, and I'm ready for it to be over.

GM
11-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Celebrating with my side but 1/2 my side is out of the country so the rest of us will make up for it :P
I'm making most of the sides. I'm ok with that - as long as I don't make the Turkey!

DIANAC
11-24-2015, 09:45 PM
We are celebrating Thanksgiving at our house, with the newest addition to the family - my Granddaughter! it will be easier this year since my MIL (at 88!) is making her famous pilaf and my DIL is making sweet potatoes and some interesting surprises for dessert. So, I am NOT baking this year. :)
We will be having stuffed cabbage rolls, shrimp, cheese berek and assortment of cheeses in addition to traditional turkey, sausage stuffing, cranberries, etc.
:)

Jesus-is-the-1
11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
This Is the first year I don't have anything to do. My family all lives out of state except one of my aunts but she is traveling this year. All my close friends are out of town, so it'll be a relaxing day at home. I'm not cooking since it's just me. I made a big pot of veggie soup today so I'll eat that tomorrow.

GM
11-25-2015, 10:58 PM
This Is the first year I don't have anything to do. My family all lives out of state except one of my aunts but she is traveling this year. All my close friends are out of town, so it'll be a relaxing day at home. I'm not cooking since it's just me. I made a big pot of veggie soup today so I'll eat that tomorrow.

I'm jealous!

Jesus-is-the-1
11-26-2015, 05:16 AM
I'm jealous!

Lol! I've had a few people tell me that. I'm looking forward to a quiet and relaxing day! Might do online shopping!

BelovedDaughter
11-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Look!

mina
11-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Yay!

BelovedDaughter
11-26-2015, 03:23 PM
And another

katzankatz
11-26-2015, 03:33 PM
How fun!^^^

BelovedDaughter
11-26-2015, 07:23 PM
It was great! Snooch's husband took the pics for us. It was chilly and really windy! My DH and Little Miss A are in the pic :) We also got to meet the infamous Butters. She's such a lovey doggy! I wish I could have petted her for longer. It was fantastic meeting up with them, even if it was just for a few minutes.

Melissa1208
11-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Wednesday we had a small party at my.house for my daughter's birthday, Thanksgiving day we went to my inlaw's, Friday no specific plans, Saturday I work 6 to 2 then my parents are coming from FL and everyone is having a large party for my daughter, Sunday we are having late Thanksgiving early Christmas with my parents at our house.

snooch
11-26-2015, 08:09 PM
We just got to our hotel and are having thanksgiving pizza for dinner :D

So glad we got to meet BD this morning! Our Butters gave Anna a big smooch on the lips LOL.

katzankatz
11-26-2015, 08:21 PM
It's been an ok day. Mostly good so far. We're traveling to mn tomorrow, but I'm not much looking forward to it . I don't think Dh will be able to go with us.

BelovedDaughter
11-26-2015, 08:38 PM
We just got to our hotel and are having thanksgiving pizza for dinner :D

So glad we got to meet BD this morning! Our Butters gave Anna a big smooch on the lips LOL.

Yeah, not sure she knew what to think! I really felt like I was meeting a celebrity with Butters. If I had a puppy like her, I'd be over the moon with the amount of love she was giving off!

tiredwalker
11-26-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm so glad you two got to meet!

We traveled to the coast to my sister's and there were 17 of us from 4 weeks old (our friends' baby) to my Baba at nearly 93. We had turkey and duck. Yay!

Happy Thanksgiving!

snooch
11-26-2015, 09:43 PM
It's been an ok day. Mostly good so far. We're traveling to mn tomorrow, but I'm not much looking forward to it . I don't think Dh will be able to go with us.

I'm sorry he can't go. That would make it less fun and exciting for me too. :(

Yeah, not sure she knew what to think! I really felt like I was meeting a celebrity with Butters. If I had a puppy like her, I'd be over the moon with the amount of love she was giving off!

She's a little furball of love, that's for sure. :P I wasn't sure how you'd feel about the mouth smooch, but she licks faster than we can stop her. :P

katzankatz
11-27-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry he can't go. That would make it less fun and exciting for me too. :(

Well, it looks like he'll be able to go. He had to go in to work in the middle of the night to wrap up some loose ends, and we'll have to leave for home ridiculously early on Sunday. But it'll be fine. We have 4 drivers in our family now :)

BelovedDaughter
11-27-2015, 10:27 AM
She's a little furball of love, that's for sure. :P I wasn't sure how you'd feel about the mouth smooch, but she licks faster than we can stop her. :P

I didn't have an issue with it, but my MIL would probably say something nasty about it so I haven't accepted it for my Timeline yet on FB.