PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Facebook?

snooch
12-15-2015, 09:51 AM
I find myself contorting my habits to use Facebook in a way that doesn't make me crazy, and it made me curious - how do you use Facebook?

Do you usually use it from your phone or computer?

Do you just read your pure newsfeed, or do you use lists and read them instead?

Or do you visit certain friends' timelines and catch up on specific people?

Do you ever feel like you've completely caught up on your friends' new posts? Do you care?

I keep changing how I use it to combat the overload (because FB keeps changing how they deliver content to me).

I use lists to catch up with people as best I can while filtering out the noise. I use "Get Notifications" on certain people so I am notified when they post and can filter through what I want to look at from the notification list. I have some close people on my "Close Friends" list so I'll get an email if they post something.

With the current political climate, I find myself not looking at anything that starts with, "Soandso shared XYZ's post/picture..."

BelovedDaughter
12-15-2015, 11:44 AM
I find myself contorting my habits to use Facebook in a way that doesn't make me crazy, and it made me curious - how do you use Facebook?

Do you ever feel like you've completely caught up on your friends' new posts? Do you care?

I keep changing how I use it to combat the overload (because FB keeps changing how they deliver content to me).

I use lists to catch up with people as best I can while filtering out the noise. I use "Get Notifications" on certain people so I am notified when they post and can filter through what I want to look at from the notification list. I have some close people on my "Close Friends" list so I'll get an email if they post something.

With the current political climate, I find myself not looking at anything that starts with, "Soandso shared XYZ's post/picture..."

I use it from both my phone and computer. It just depends on what time of day it is and where I am. I use my newsfeed but because I don't really follow many people, I have lists that I usually look at. I don't feel caught up in anyone's lives. I use it most of the time to see pics of my nieces and nephews and to catch up with a few people.

katzankatz
12-15-2015, 12:10 PM
I use it when I go online on my kindle. I don't really mess around with the settings muchbeyond hiding certain people because they post nothing but memes all day long, which is just boring. I just flip through the news feed and look for interesting things. I still feel well-informed. If there's something really interesting, great! If not, oh well, maybe next time. There are certain pages I follow in which Facebook is my preferred source of update (versus YouTube, Twitter, their website, their blog, etc)

mina
12-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I use it on my phone and computer. I look at my newsfeed. I don't have many friends that are active so I just look at everything. I also look at what is trending for a brief pop culture overview. My mom messages me a lot on FB and I personally use it to share photos with family that are far away. If I feel I'm missing out on someone; I'll go to their page and see what they have posted recently or if they are just on a break. I also get updates from blogs that I follow. It's easier to follow them on FB and get an update, than to keep checking to see if it was updated with a new post.

purple
12-15-2015, 01:19 PM
I use it from my iPad and the computer.
I look at my news feed and sometimes go onto individuals pages if I feel I want to catch up on what they are up to.
I'm a member of a number of groups on Facebook so I go into those regularly so I don't miss out on what is going on. Our Roller Derby league does most of it's business on the relevant groups.
On the computer I have to keep changing the settings back to 'Most Recent' in my newsfeed as FB has a habit of changing that back to 'Top Posts' for me which is annoying.
I have people who I don't have in my feed so that helps with the 'noise' as it were.

tiredwalker
12-15-2015, 02:07 PM
I use it from my laptop and scroll through my news feed. I typically roll past political posts because I don't have time for stress and I won't change anything. If something is really obnoxious, I'll hide that person. The less I'm on, the happier I am. However, this is how I'm able to share photos/videos/stories of my kids with my family and vise versa--we're spread far and wide.

Christina
12-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Both...I'll use it from my computer when I'm at home and from my phone when I'm on the road, unless I bring my laptop with me.

I tried the lists thing but that got too confusing for me, trying to figure out which lists I'd read and which I hadn't. So I just scroll through my newsfeed until I get tired of scrolling...

I do do this as well. I have a close friends list and of those "close friends" I have made it so most of them have the "show first" option checked, that way I see their stuff. If there is someone who is going through a hardship or something like that that I am aware of, even if they are not close to me, I go to their individual page to check in on how they are doing. For my family and a couple of close friends, I have the "Get notifications" option checked so I never miss a thing from them.

Nope and nope, not really. I have nearly 400 friends on my list and I do try to keep up with everyone, but I know it's impossible. Most of the people on my list are family, old friends from my past, friends in person, and a few friends from forums. So I do know most of them pretty well or have an actual friendship with them, but as much as I'd like to care about each and every person's stuff, I can't. If I see something someone is going through, I will pray for them and maybe comment or follow up with them. But if it is someone that I don't know well I'll just leave it at that. I do sometimes feel bad because I would like to be able to add everything to my prayer list and sometimes I miss out on stuff people are going through because of how many friends I have. But anyone is always welcome to message me and ask for prayer. I'm totally open to that.

I enjoy Facebook a lot. My primary use of it is to be able to follow what's going on with my friends/family who have moved away from here or who I don't get to see often, and my secondary reason for being there is to bring awareness and compassion to emotional/mental abuse and struggles. I think social media, when used correctly, is a good avenue for that sort of thing. I have to be careful about expressing my political and spiritual views because I have unintentionally offended a few people unnecessarily because I didn't think before posting.

Mrs_B
12-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I primarily use FB on my phone. I scroll the newsfeed but mostly use FB groups. I'm in a number of groups, mostly mommy groups.

Virginia
12-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Mostly phone.
I don't have lists except a "Former Students" list where they can't see anything I post.
I rarely catch up with specific people via Facebook (unless they just got married or had a baby). If I want to know how someone's doing, I message or text them :)

Honestly, I mostly use Facebook to plan events and just occupy myself and share my thoughts. I don't use it to keep close tabs on close friends/family.

blythe_ann
12-15-2015, 10:34 PM
I used to use it on my phone all the time. Now I use my laptop to update the store page, the arts council page and the church page. Sometimes I'll upload a blog post. But I've been taking a break for a while from facebook other than that.

Kehaar
12-18-2015, 06:49 AM
I use it to follow groups I'm interested in or just share stuff I find interesting. I tend not to spend too much time on it really. I tend to look at it on my PC, although I do occasionally browse it from my phone.