PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth removal

BelovedDaughter
12-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I'm going to the dentist on Thursday for an exam because my 3 remaining wisdom teeth have really been bothering me since Christmas. My jaws hurt and I've been having headaches. The dentist has been after me for years to get them out but I've always put it off.

I'll have to get them cut out, not pulled, because they are impacted. I'm nervous, anxious, and worried. We do not have a surgery date yet because I haven't seen the dentist yet. I'd like to know if any of you ladies have any experiences you'd like to share. I've had 1 wisdom tooth pulled in the past. It was fully through the gum and the dentist pulled it a few years ago.

mina
12-28-2015, 03:12 PM
I had all 4 out at one time. I was really scared beforehand, but it was nothing. I had no complications. Just take the painkillers they give you afterwards and you'll be fine. My husband had all four out when we first got married and I thought it would be really bad. I stocked up on soup and jello, but he just rested one day and then was back to normal.

BelovedDaughter
12-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Mina, did you have them cut out? I've heard and read good and bad experiences.

Virginia
12-28-2015, 04:21 PM
I had all four impacted wisdom teeth removed when I was 15 years old. I was put under general anesthesia and had no complications. I didn't even take the painkillers prescribed to me for more than a day. I do remember the bleeding needing to be kept under control, but I used tea bags and gauze and was totally fine.

The only complication I had was my own fault- I went camping with my youth group only a few days after having my teeth removed, and it was hard to find clean water to squirt into the surgery sites to keep them clean. But that was totally my fault ;) And even then, I didn't even get an infection or anything; it was just a little swollen.

snooch
12-28-2015, 04:43 PM
My sister's were impacted and she had them cut out. She was really swollen afterward, but the painkillers seemed to do the trick for her. The biggie is not getting dry socket - follow their instructions about keeping the site clean, don't suck through a straw, avoid kernels of anything, and you should be good!

BelovedDaughter
12-28-2015, 04:53 PM
It sounds like you all have had positive experiences! I wonder how the exam will go and how soon the dentist will schedule the surgery.

mina
12-28-2015, 04:57 PM
I had all of mine cut out. My mouth was numb for a day and my mom laughed at me everytime I ate, b/c everything would dribble down my chin! lol!

GM
12-28-2015, 05:18 PM
My son had them cut out. The oak surgeon we went to doesn't pull them. ..only cuts. Ciutting them makes smaller holes and less chance of deep pockets being left. No issues. Stay on schedule with pain meds

Jesus-is-the-1
12-28-2015, 06:11 PM
I had mine all cut out when I was in my late 20's. The surgery was a breeze and they healed well. I had an allergic reaction to the pain meds and missed 3 weeks of work because the hives were so bad. I'm allergic to almost all medications though.

Melissa1208
12-28-2015, 10:28 PM
All surgically removed at once, no issues.

Historia
12-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Mine were taken out when I was in my mid-20s. I honestly have no idea how he took them out. I was knocked out for the surgery and all four were taken at once. I had a dry socket with one of them, so they stuffed it with gauze and told me to be careful with it and said it just needed extra time to heal. That meant an extra visit or two with the dentist to make sure it was healing properly and it did. Otherwise it went well. I was expecting it to be horrific. (One coworker gave me a small gift out of sympathy and then felt a little dumb when it turned out fine. Though I loved the gift and was happy to have it regardless.) The dry socket thing felt like a non-issue other than extra dentist visits. Otherwise the only unusual thing was me bawling like a baby when I came off the anesthesia, but the nurse said that happens sometimes. My sister took good care of me, though I was fine the next day.

DIANAC
12-28-2015, 10:42 PM
I had 2 wisdom teeth removed (pulled) when I was in my 50s. But not all at once. The only problem I had, which was not a problem at all - I started bleeding. But that was my fault since I removed the gauze pad. Just keep it pressed in. I just felt tired. The next day I went back to work.

blythe_ann
12-29-2015, 11:10 PM
I had all four cut out at the same time and had minor complications. Because I couldn't stomach the pain killers, I was throwing up, causing extra swelling. I looked like a chipmunk for three days and was sick from the pain medication. If we would have just stuck with a lesser pain med, I would have been fine.
But can I just encourage you that I completely understand how scary it can be to have any medical procedure done, but whatever pain you might feel, even if it lasts a few days, is just a small amount of time in comparison to your whole life, and it's necessary for your health :). Good luck to you.
For what it's worth, I had fruit smoothies and mashed potato ole's for food for three days and it was pretty sweet :).

BelovedDaughter
12-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Thank you all so much! I've been doing a lot of praying over my feelings. I've had my appendix and gallbladder out on 2 separate occasions and a cesarean to deliver my daughter so I hope this will be easier in comparison.

BelovedDaughter
01-01-2016, 07:06 PM
My appointment went really well! The dentist did not chastise me for not coming in for 2 years and said he was impressed with how well I've taken care of my teeth. No cavities! He did agree with me, though, that my wisdom teeth need to come out soon. The dental assistant found out just how anxious I get when I have to set up appointments over the phone so she is going to call the oral surgeon's office on Monday and set up a consultation so we can know the approximate cost.

snooch
01-01-2016, 10:57 PM
That's great! It sounds like you have a compassionate dentist - they are invaluable :)

BelovedDaughter
01-02-2016, 10:05 AM
My dentist is amazing! I would recommend him to anyone. He even told me that since he knows my personality, he was going to refer me to a different, smaller oral surgeon's office instead of the big one here in town.

I'm not pleased with how MIL responded when I mentioned to her what I needed done. She said, "How are you going to afford THAT?"

BelovedDaughter
01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
The dental assistant called me yesterday and she has a consultation with the oral surgeon scheduled for me on Monday Jan 11. The nervousness has gone away for now.

BelovedDaughter
01-11-2016, 04:26 PM
I went for the consultation today. Surgery is scheduled for January 22.

Virginia
01-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Praying all goes smoothly!!!

snooch
01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
How was the consultation? Do you feel comfortable with the surgeon?

BelovedDaughter
01-12-2016, 10:17 AM
The consultation went really well. The surgeon answered all my questions and told me the risks of the surgery, even the remote ones. The cost isn't going to be too bad either. Hopefully my nerves won't get crazy and give me panic attacks beforehand. Thanks for asking about it!

snooch
01-12-2016, 11:39 AM
If you think you might have a panic attack, ask the doctor to give you an Rx for Xanax ahead of the surgery. I take 1/2 - 1 pill before seeing the dentist because I'm just too anxious otherwise, and that's not a good way to go into that kind of visit. It works wonders for me!

BelovedDaughter
01-12-2016, 01:01 PM
I'm nervous anyway, but I'm usually fine after I get the IV in. I think it's the needle that scares me. Although I'll probably be fine if I can just calm myself down that day.

DIANAC
01-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Are you afraid of pain?

snooch
01-12-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm afraid of pain - that's exactly it. I can't deal with the needle. They put a topical numbing gel on my gums first, get it so I can't feel the needle, then use the needle. It's the only way I can get numbed up for dental work.

BelovedDaughter
01-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Afraid of pain... not incredibly. I'm a little afraid of this procedure though because of the potential for dry socket, permanent numbness because of nerve placement, etc. My dentist's office itself is great because they definitely let the numbing gel take ahold before even getting a needle close to me. Then, my dentist doesn't even let me see the syringe or let me know when he's using it. I keep my eyes closed and never know. I can only hope the oral surgeon is that good and that the person giving me the IV is great.

BelovedDaughter
01-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Surgery is THIS Friday! I haven't been too nervous, thankfully. I've been doing a lot of praying! My grandma is coming to stay with us for a little while to help out with DD so I'm going to pick her up tomorrow. My MIL seems less than sympathetic but that's her. I hope DD cooperates for my grandma while I'm unable to do much.

Virginia
01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
It's gonna go great! Will continue to lift you up in prayer.

BelovedDaughter
01-21-2016, 06:20 PM
The nerves have started. As well as the anxiety. I know I'll be fine but it's like my body unconsciously does it.

Jesus-is-the-1
01-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Praying for you!

snooch
01-21-2016, 06:55 PM
My body was always traitorous like that too. You will be fine! What time is the surgery tomorrow? I'll be praying!

BelovedDaughter
01-21-2016, 11:51 PM
Surgery is at 10am tomorrow, Central time. Thanks everyone for the prayers!

snooch
01-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Praying for you this morning!

Virginia
01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Praying for you right now!

mina
01-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Praying!

BelovedDaughter
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
It went well. My pain medication is starting to kick in and make my mind go fuzzy. My jaw is sore but I hope it goes away soon.

Virginia
01-22-2016, 03:41 PM
So glad it went smoothly! Praying for a quick recovery.

BelovedDaughter
01-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Thank you all! I slept fairly well last night, propped up on pillows, and warm under the covers. My jaw is a bit sore and slightly stiff again from not moving it all night, so that will be a job today. I don't see much swelling or bruising yet.

snooch
01-23-2016, 10:42 AM
That's great, it sounds like it went very well!

GM
01-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Ice and saline rinse for a few days!

BelovedDaughter
04-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Going on 3 months post surgery and I'm so glad I got it done! I never bruised, had a little swelling but it wasn't bad, and the pain was annoying but I got through it. My body doesn't do well on narcotic pain relievers, so ibuprofen was my best friend for a few days. It took awhile for the extraction sites to fill in but they're no longer holes and food doesn't get in there! I would have it done again in a heartbeat.

snooch
04-19-2016, 11:49 AM
That's a good update :)