PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas Please!

blythe_ann
01-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Hi ladies :)

Taking a moment while my little man sleeps to ask for a favor... I need a gift idea.

We were allowed to stay in the apartment of a woman we met through an organization I am a part of. So instead of paying upwards of $200 a night on a room, we are staying for free in her place. She moved out to live with a friend while we stay here.

We would like to get her a gift. We are willing to spend about $200 on it, because, well, she is saving us so much money and it is such a big gift for her to allow us to use her home for two weeks.

But I am at a loss for what to get her because she is actually moving into a house at the end of the month (she was hoping we could have been her first house guests, but baby was so early!).

So here are a few facts, just spout out ideas I would great appreciate it (I have no creativity at the moment. The stress we've had going on has drained me. This baby stuff I can handle, it's the added stuff I can't take. I would like to avoid gift cards if possible, but we'll go for it if we have to.

-She is in her late 30s
-she is moving to her first house in less than a month
- she has lived all over over the world, but in India for the longest.
- she is a journalist
- She likes bright colors, bright patterns and eclectic stuff.
- from living in her apartment, she doesn't like to cook at home a lot (seriously, who has only one sauce pan in their entire house?), she loves fashion (shoes especially) and having an active social life.
- She is a Christian, for sure and is close to her mom and her twin sister.

So what do you think ladies? Help a tired mama out?

snooch
01-12-2016, 11:04 PM
To me, a journalist sounds like someone who likes words, letters, written art. A new home means a new place to decorate. Christian, meaningful scripture. So with that in mind, I would try to find something that she can put on her wall that incorporates some of that. If you have any means of personalizing it, all the better!

As an example, a couple years ago I went to Shutterfly.com and had some of the photographs my husband had taken of nature in our area printed onto canvas. The pictures were put in collage form, and I included scripture in the middle. You can customize all kinds of neat things like that on Shutterfly, but I don't know if you have the time or means of putting something together for her there.

When we moved in to our new house, our realtor had a ceramic tile made for us. It's stenciled with our last initial in large print, and then has our last name on it in smaller print. I don't know where she got it, but it's a neat thing to have for a new house.

I would check Overstock.com too - there are some great ideas there. I just checked their wall decor in the Worldstock category and now I want to spend a million dollars.

http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock-Fair-Trade/Wall-Decor/2058/cat.html?sort=Recommended

Christina
01-13-2016, 12:31 AM
I echo what Snooch said! I think that would be a lovely idea, to incorporate some sort of wall art or something of that sort. If you are able to have something sent out to her (meaning you have time to do that) then Etsy is also a great place to check for unique and often beautiful items.

Another thing you could do is a gift basket of sorts...since she is moving into her new home, you never know what kind of things will pop up. You could do a few different gift cards, maybe to local restaurants, Home Depot (in case of anything needed for home improvement), grocery store, etc., some wall art, chocolate (or other long lasting treat/snack that would be handy to have around), a calendar, cleaning supplies, candles, paper plates/cups for the move, a vase with fake flowers for decoration, welcome mat, etc...so many things you can do with a housewarming type basket :)

I think that is really kind of you to do that!

Mrs_B
01-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I think wall decor is a good idea! Home goods has a nice selection of wall canvases and other prints. Maybe a nice set of pots and pans, but if she doesn't like to cook, it may not be as personal of a gesture. I would also include a handwritten letter/thank you card. To me, that would be the greatest gift.

Melissa1208
01-13-2016, 08:21 AM
I like the gift basket idea!

DIANAC
01-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Italian ceramics!!! They are very colorful and can brighten any room.
Get a large fruit basket/fruit bowl/platter/flower vase/biscotti jar. They look very decorative and can be used as intended, if she wishes. You can find them on-line. They are not inexpensive. But for $200 you can get an attractive piece that can decorate any room.

You can even get a pasta platter. Even that looks amazing on the coffee table!

blythe_ann
01-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas ladies! She brought back a onesie today, to. People are so generous at times!

GM
01-15-2016, 02:36 AM
I'd do a small gift with a larger GC so she can choose what she needs for her new home.
A basket with a candle, body wash, GC for a massage or pedicure/manicure
A tray with coffee mug, cookies or chocolate, nice tea and a GC to the local bookstore or Barnes &Noble.
A plush blanket with a good book and a gC to Macys or target?