PDA

View Full Version : Toll Roads

purple
01-24-2016, 08:25 PM
What happens if you get to an unmanned toll booth and have no change???

It's not happened to us yet but twice we've only just been able to scrape together the 75 or 50c... today we made it with 2c left over!

Virginia
01-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I did it one time. Nothing happened to me. However, I have a friend who got a ticket- the camera at the toll booth took a pic of her license plate and sent her a fine of like $25 or something.

katzankatz
01-24-2016, 09:37 PM
This just happened to my Dh and friends driving to Chicago a couple weeks ago. They had no change, so drove right through. They found out that you can go into a website and pay the toll that way as long as you do so within a few days. If you wait too long you can get a citation. I don't know how much that would cost.

Jesus-is-the-1
01-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Last time I had a rental car I went through a few tools without change and the rental company sent me a bill for the regular amount. No extra fees. Not sure if all tolls are that way.

snooch
01-24-2016, 10:59 PM
In a rental, they'll send the rental company a bill, and they'll then charge your credit card for the amount. Sometimes they let it slide though.

Mrs_B
01-25-2016, 09:49 AM
I've always wondered this! As much as I hate the NY thruway, I love that there's no unpredictable amount, as soon as you get on you get a ticket with all of the toll amounts, listing for each exit. Plenty of rest stops with ATMs if needed. I freaked out last year when I was driving somewhere new, the directions never said I was driving the thruway, but I ended up there. I had no change at all, but that 2 mile stretch was toll free! Phew!

purple
01-25-2016, 08:00 PM
We took a wrong turn... Don't need a $25 fine so will try and keep some change for the next few days!