PDA

View Full Version : Flashing your car lights

purple
01-31-2016, 09:15 AM
In America if you are in traffic and someone else is indicating to come into your lane would you flash your lights to say 'it's OK to come in'???

snooch
01-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes, that's fairly common to do here. That said, a lot of people DON'T do that, because they don't want to let anyone come into their lane. But if someone does flash their lights, that's an indication they are willing to let you over.

Side note: Truck drivers will flash their lights to let another truck in front of them. When the other truck moves into the lane in front of the other driver, they will flash their taillights to say thank you to the truck behind them. If a truck lets a car over, some people will turn on their 4-ways for a second as their way of saying thank you to them, and the truck drivers understand.

purple
01-31-2016, 11:00 AM
It's the same over here (and with the trucks) but I did it a few times while we're in Florida and no one took the gap so I wondered if it was like in Saudi where if you are flashing your lights it's saying 'Oi! I'm here'

snooch
01-31-2016, 02:36 PM
Oh, no I don't think so. It's more likely they didn't notice you flashing your lights, or they were old (ha, Florida!) or tourists (:D) and afraid of changing lanes on the highway.

*These stereotypes may not necessarily be true of Florida drivers.

purple
01-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Oh, no I don't think so. It's more likely they didn't notice you flashing your lights, or they were old (ha, Florida!) or tourists (:D) and afraid of changing lanes on the highway.

*These stereotypes may not necessarily be true of Florida drivers.

Ugh! Idiots!

katzankatz
01-31-2016, 03:49 PM
I've never heard of flashing your lights for that purpose. Could just be the area of the country I'm in. I suppose if you're in Florida, maybe that's why people seem clueless - because half the people living there in January are snowbirds from up here, and that's not something we do here? We'll flash our lights if the oncoming car has its high-beams on, to remind them to dim their lights. I imagine that's common everywhere though. Also, some people will flash their lights to let oncoming traffic know there is a cop up ahead, so slow down if you're speeding. Which will get you a ticket if you get caught.

GM
01-31-2016, 06:26 PM
I've not heard of that!

blythe_ann
01-31-2016, 06:57 PM
I've never heard of that either, but I am from a small town and live in another small town. We roll down our windows and use hand gestures if we really need to, but most of the time "traffic" is three cars stuck behind a combine on the highway, and usually the combine pulls over eventually and we all wave as we pass.

Virginia
01-31-2016, 08:38 PM
In Virginia, we flash our lights to let someone know it's their turn to go (at like a four-way stop sign) or that they can get over/change lanes in front of us. It's very common here. I use hand gestures, too, while flashing my lights.

katzankatz
01-31-2016, 09:26 PM
I just asked my Dh if he's heard of this, and he says it's pretty common with truckers, and he's done it himself, but only to truck drivers. Interesting. If never heard of it before.

snooch
01-31-2016, 10:27 PM
In Virginia, we flash our lights to let someone know it's their turn to go (at like a four-way stop sign) or that they can get over/change lanes in front of us. It's very common here. I use hand gestures, too, while flashing my lights.

Being from Virginia myself, maybe that's why it seems so commonplace to me. It might be a regional thing.

Also, to Katz's husband's point, I dated a truck driver for ten years and spent a lot of time on the road with him, so I'm sure many of my road habits came from those experiences.

purple
02-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Oh it's totally common for truckers to flash other truckers to say they have the space to come in... but it's also common over here if someone wants to come into your lane to flash them out if you are OK for them to come over.

I won't do it next time then :)

GM
02-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Flashing in the bay area usually means you're 'warning' the other driver they did something wrong.

Mrs_B
02-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Around here, most people use it to indicate something wrong too. Like "you're driving too slow, speed up" "your blinker has been on for a mile, it's annoying" "you merged back over too soon, grr!" It's similar to honking your horn. Some people do it as a way to be nice, like my husband, but the majority don't it seems, lol.

purple
02-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Around here, most people use it to indicate something wrong too. Like "you're driving too slow, speed up" "your blinker has been on for a mile, it's annoying" "you merged back over too soon, grr!" It's similar to honking your horn. Some people do it as a way to be nice, like my husband, but the majority don't it seems, lol.

We use it for that too! Usually accompanied by some form of hand gesture ;)