PDA

View Full Version : Fatique/Low Energy

DIANAC
06-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Hi, ladies! All my life I struggled with episodes of low energy. But lately it seems much worse. Normally, I don't rest and I am a workaholic. I like to finish my work before I rest. But many times I just crush. Like yesterday, first we had a doctor's appointment, and there was a fuss over some new medical developments with my husband, and fuss over the new medications, and I did not eat lunch. By 2 P I just crushed.
I did speak with my doctor about my fatigue. He took my blood test, didn't find anything unusual and said to rest more.
Oh, I do take my B12, B complex, multi and C and other supplements. And I just ordered Mg.
Does anyone have any suggestion? Is this an age thing?

katzankatz
06-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Just a few thoughts. Have you had a recent CBC where they look for "everything" in your blood? I would start there. (I say "everything" because keep in mind, not literally everything shows up in a regular blood sample - magnesium levels, for example). Also, some numbers might fall into the "normal" range, but even if certain numbers are on the high or low end of normal, it might be worth checking out. As an example, my fasting blood sugar level is on the high end of normal or even on the low end of high. Last year at this time it was 110. No doctor has ever expressed real concern over this, but I do get concerned because of other health issues I've struggled with. I do not need pre-diabetes on top of it all. But I digress...

A crash around that time off day can indicate unstable blood sugar levels, and since you missed lunch this would definitely exacerbate that problem (if it's there). Magnesium is a good supplement. A good probiotic is also a good idea. Those two supplements work very well together for your gut health. A lot of people say that good health begins there. B vitamins are good for increased energy. I don't know how you eat, but a reduction in grains and carbs can help. A reduction in dairy hashelped me. Some exercise every day is also good.

Ultimately, YOU know how you feel, and if something feels off, so don't just accept that if a doctor can't find anything out doesn't mean there's not something there. It could just be a little thing, easily fixable.

( I understand it might seem risky to pay attention to health advice from someone who had enough health problems of their own :) , but I do know a few things, especially things that I've felt with my own body :) . I have more energy now than I did when I was a young adult, even if I still struggle with flare ups sometimes, largely due to changes in habits and also good supplementation)

DIANAC
06-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Thank you, katz!
Reduction in dairy? Interesting! As you noticed before, I love my yogurts, kefirs, etc.
Tomorrow I will call my dr just to check if the last yearly check up included "everything" blood test.
Probiotic..I was always wondering if I should take them. But my dairy includes them. So, I don't know.
I just know that I am sensitive to stress. Perhaps now even more so. Thank you. I will check all that.

snooch
06-28-2016, 05:10 PM
I agree with getting another blood panel done - specifically, I'd have them check your nutrient levels to see if you have any deficiencies, and I would also have them check your hormone levels. Hormonal imbalances for women can lead to fatigue. I think yesterday missing lunch had a lot to do with it. Increase your protein intake to stabilize your blood sugar and help offset lactose/sucrose/carbs in your diet.

How much sleep do you get at night? You should be getting at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. If you feel fatigued when you wake up in the morning, or generally not rested after a full night's sleep, you might consider having a sleep study done to see if you are having any apnea episodes during the night.

Stress is definitely a factor in all of this! :hug:

DIANAC
06-28-2016, 06:24 PM
snooch, past few nights I did not sleep well. 7 hours each night is a good idea. But as we age, lack of sleep is another added problem.
Why did you mention sleep apnea??? I never thought of that. But as I started reading the symptoms, I am wondering if I have that. Adding to my list of things to ask my doctor.
And I am adding "hormonal imbalance" to my list.
Thank you!!

snooch
06-28-2016, 06:37 PM
My husband had sleep apnea for a few years when we first got married. It was miserable for him. He would wake up feeling tired and then, pretty much any time after lunch, he would be so fatigued that he would have a hard time staying awake even to work. I found he was dangerous to drive with because he would be so tired he would start to nod off while he was driving - that ended quickly and I started driving everywhere! So, he had a sleep study done and it was determined he had apnea and was waking up dozens of times every hour. He needed to use a CPAP machine to force a regular flow of air into him so he wouldn't stop breathing at night. It's a very dangerous condition to live with.

He doesn't have apnea anymore, thankfully, after losing over 100 lbs, but when my good friend (who is skinny as a rail!) started complaining of fatigue, I encouraged her to have a sleep study done. Lo and behold, she had apnea too. Now she sleeps with a CPAP and is completely well.

snooch
06-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Also, even if apnea is not an issue, if you're having difficulty sleeping at night, maybe ask your doctor for a sleep aid like Ambien - or if you want something over the counter, try taking 3 or 5 mg of Melatonin about 30 minutes before wanting to sleep. It makes a big difference!

DIANAC
06-28-2016, 07:30 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No Ambien!!!!
I can't sleep because of my restless leg syndrome. It is so much better, or almost gone when I do take my B12/Bcomplex. But since I was taking lesser doze, my legs became "restless" again.
But truly, I would rather stay awake at night and do my ironing, than take Ambien.
About Apnea..I took just on-line test and got "0" - 0 chance of having sleep apnea.

snooch
06-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Restless leg syndrome is as disruptive to sleep! I understand about not wanting to take Ambien. My husband tried a similar drug, Lunesta, and basically had psychosis from it. Not for everyone! Melatonin is extremely safe - it's a hormone your brain makes anyway to regulate sleep, so taking an over the counter supplement is effective and has no side effects. It might help you sleep better. :)

tiredwalker
06-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Have you had your thyroid checked? That can go out at anytime--I went from normal self to falling asleep in random places--so bad--two weeks on synthroid and I was back to my old self. Iron deficiency too. A full blood panel is a good idea. You know how you are with little/disrupted sleep. If this is different, bug your doctor until he/she helps.

DIANAC
06-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Yes, tired, I did have my thyroid checked. It's fine. On one hand, my dr said that considering all that is now "on my plate", being fatigued is expected. And I accepted that not wanting to "look trouble in the face". But the way I felt yesterday was just awful.
I always thought that I have iron deficiency. But last blood test did not show that. I totally agree with katz about questioning those standards.
Thank you, tired.

tiredwalker
06-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Always question standards.I hope you get some answers soon!

GM
06-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Good advice. Start with a full blood test...including Vit. D

DIANAC
06-29-2016, 06:01 AM
I do take Vit. D. My husband thinks that I take too many vitamins.
How do I get a professional advice on what supplements to take? Is there a such thing as "vitamin doctor"?

katzankatz
06-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I also thought of iron deficiency. It's really common. I believe there is also a link between iron deficiency and restless legs. Try Google on that one.

As far as doctors and nutrition advice, this is hit or miss. Some are very knowledgeable and others seem to not even care. When I asked my rheumatologist for some nutritional advice he told me "there is nothing you can eat or stop eating that will do anything for you". Seriously? I just don't believe that. A doctor friend I have will readily admit that be really doesn't know much about vitamins and nutrition. His wife is more in tune with that. Modern medicine seems to be more about treating illness with medication when it pops up, rather than helping patients live healthy in order to prevent illness. To a certain extent they are only doing what their patients want them to do.

It's ok to do your own research. Look at multiple sources and compare information. Again, some docs don't like their patients to do this because sometimes this only makes patients confused and worried. Other doctors welcome this. I've had some of both. I do what I want :P

GM
06-29-2016, 10:51 AM
If you're eating healthy, you don't need to take many supplements AND you need to know which to take together or not together. A homeopathic doctor would be better with that than a conventional.
Also, your body might not be absorbing the vitamins you are taking. I'm on prescriptionVit D because my body doesn't absorb it easily so lots to consider.
I would go to my regular DR. and have a full lab done (detailed blood work) and then take my results (if my regular doctor can't help) to a homeopathic or nutritionist.

purple
06-29-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm with the others in getting your hormone levels and more detailed bloods done.

But you do have a lot on your plate and that can make a huge difference.

You said you hadn't eaten lunch so if you are feeling tired that will just exacerbate it. I know it's not always easy, but I know from experience when my fatigue is bad if I don't eat properly it just gets worse. If I'm out and about I try and take something with me, even if it is some fruit and a granola bar. It's not ideal but it's better than not eating at all.

DIANAC
06-29-2016, 06:43 PM
I also thought of iron deficiency. It's really common. I believe there is also a link between iron deficiency and restless legs. Try Google on that one.

As far as doctors and nutrition advice, this is hit or miss. Some are very knowledgeable and others seem to not even care. When I asked my rheumatologist for some nutritional advice he told me "there is nothing you can eat or stop eating that will do anything for you". Seriously? I just don't believe that. A doctor friend I have will readily admit that be really doesn't know much about vitamins and nutrition. His wife is more in tune with that. Modern medicine seems to be more about treating illness with medication when it pops up, rather than helping patients live healthy in order to prevent illness. To a certain extent they are only doing what their patients want them to do.

It's ok to do your own research. Look at multiple sources and compare information. Again, some docs don't like their patients to do this because sometimes this only makes patients confused and worried. Other doctors welcome this. I've had some of both. I do what I want :P
Thank you, katz, for this. Adding to my list.
I know what you mean about nutrition and doctors. When years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I asked my doctor about proper nutrition. He said that he does not know. That there's not enough research on that.
In fact I do alot of research and sadly at times I am my own doctor.

DIANAC
06-29-2016, 06:47 PM
If you're eating healthy, you don't need to take many supplements AND you need to know which to take together or not together. A homeopathic doctor would be better with that than a conventional.
Also, your body might not be absorbing the vitamins you are taking. I'm on prescriptionVit D because my body doesn't absorb it easily so lots to consider.
I would go to my regular DR. and have a full lab done (detailed blood work) and then take my results (if my regular doctor can't help) to a homeopathic or nutritionist.

That's what I thought...But over the years when facing various things I started learning about supplements. When I was very young I had awful headaches. Obviously, doctors could not figure out. Somehow I discovered multivitamins with iron. And that absolutely cured my headaches. And many other things like that.
I will look into a nutritionist.

DIANAC
06-29-2016, 06:52 PM
You said you hadn't eaten lunch so if you are feeling tired that will just exacerbate it. I know it's not always easy, but I know from experience when my fatigue is bad if I don't eat properly it just gets worse. If I'm out and about I try and take something with me, even if it is some fruit and a granola bar. It's not ideal but it's better than not eating at all.
This afternoon I felt that my fatigue was creeping in and I was again about to skip lunch, so I made sure to eat late lunch and that helped.
You are right, I need to have a supply of granola bars in my bag.
Unfortunately, sometimes I think silly like "Oh, skipped lunch means less calories intake for today, so it should help to keep the weight down". I no longer can afford that kind of silliness.

purple
07-04-2016, 05:35 AM
Unfortunately, sometimes I think silly like "Oh, skipped lunch means less calories intake for today, so it should help to keep the weight down". I no longer can afford that kind of silliness.

I fall into that mistake some days but then end up grabbing bad food later in the day to help me stay awake.

GM
07-05-2016, 01:42 AM
How are you feeling?

Manna
07-05-2016, 02:38 AM
Diana, how is your hydration? I am very prone to dehydrating, and in the worst bouts of it, the biggest symptom is the lack of energy. I would have to sit and rest for about half an hour just after blow drying my hair. Not good.

My friends are used to me making sure everyone around me is properly hydrated, just because of how scary it is to be lacking in that area. My mind went there right away when reading your posts.