PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics Are Here!

Virginia
08-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Woohoo! Who else is watching? Whaddya think?
I am really loving the opening ceremonies. I enjoy hearing stories about unknown athletes or small countries.

I also feel conflicted because I know that hosting the Olympics negatively impacts the hosting country's citizens.

But man, do I love how people come together and celebrate the human spirit during the Olympics!

Example: The refugee team- https://www.olympic.org/news/refugee-olympic-team-to-shine-spotlight-on-worldwide-refugee-crisis

What are you looking forward to?

mina
08-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Yay! I love the Olympics, even though I think the Ioc is corrupt. It's the athletes that make the games, not the ioc. I feel badly for athletes that have worked their whole lives for this and they have to face gross conditions and have their health at risk to compete.

I love swimming, gymnastics, archery, track/field, rowing..... I would even watch speed walking.

GM
08-05-2016, 10:48 PM
It's about to start here

Christina
08-05-2016, 11:39 PM
I am watching!! I don't have TV and was freaking out because I've always watched the Olympics. But a close friend gave me her online login info so I could watch online so YAY! I have good friends lol.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with all the commercial breaks. Especially in the beginning, they were so close together, I felt like I missed most of the ceremony. But it is what it is. I like seeing all the countries coming together and I love seeing the different outfits each choose to wear.

I particularly like watching the Gymnastics and Equestrian and some swimming.

katzankatz
08-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Just watched the torch lighting. That was pretty cool.

I like to watch most of the sports. It's really easy for me to plant myself in front of the tv for 2 solid weeks of prime time viewing.

Mrs_B
08-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Love the Olympics!! I stayed up until the US athletes marched in the opening ceremonies then went to bed. Right now we have on water polo. The kids are playing and randomly walking in and asking questions. I'm hoping my daughter will watch some gymnastics with me, that's my favorite!

blythe_ann
08-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Love the Olympics! Through crazy events I happen to know Paige mcpherson (Tai Kwan do or gooseberry you spell it!.) And I have met a few of the women USA marathon racers. So you bet I watch those!

blythe_ann
08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
However now gooseberry. Lol on my phone

GM
08-06-2016, 06:29 PM
^^i was trying to figure out gooseberry.

Uc berkeley is near me and had a big presence in the Olympics. Lots of those athletes live around me so it's fun to watch and support.

Virginia
08-06-2016, 07:18 PM
It is really cool when you have a personal connection to the Olympics. For example, a girl who graduated from the high school at which I teach is on the rugby team :)

I am SO SO SO excited for beach volleyball tonight! I can't even contain my excitement!

Mrs_B
08-07-2016, 10:02 AM
I couldn't stay up late enough for beach volleyball, it's one of my favorites too! :(

A girl that graduated from my high school is on the field hockey team. A girl from the new city we live in is swimming today.

GM
08-07-2016, 11:24 AM
I couldn't stay up late enough for beach volleyball, it's one of my favorites too! :(

A girl that graduated from my high school is on the field hockey team. A girl from the new city we live in is swimming today.

Beach volleyball was good. I was up past midnight. Sigh.
I feel bad for the French gymnast😣 i can't imagine what he felt like but i keep watching the video over and over.

Gillian
08-07-2016, 06:34 PM
I haven't been watching much, but hubby has. I watched a bit of a recording of the opening ceremony. Didn't you love the kids walking alongside each team? They looked so pleased with themselves.

Hubby and I were at the Sydney Olympics - an amazing experience. Hubby was helping with doping control in the archery events.

Gilli

mina
08-08-2016, 12:23 AM
Wow! Simone Biles is amazing! I admire her so much. What a great personal journey! I hope she wins the All around and she is likely to!

Christina
08-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Isn't she the bomb? Amazing. The other girls on the US team are great too! It's too bad they only had a place for 2 in the all around final. But it has been great to watch everyone! I am so impressed with the height that Simone gets during her vaults and floor routines. She may only be 4'8" but she gets height like a giant.

katzankatz
08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
I saw the Dutch lady's bike wipeout live. I was already cringing watching them ride so fast downhill, and often so close together, and then all of a sudden she was flying through the air like a rag doll and landed on top of the curb. Ugh, it was miserable. And she'd had such a sizable lead too.

The U.S. women's gymnastics is amazing! It's almost like they are in another league.

Virginia
08-08-2016, 06:24 PM
The Dutch biker's wipeout was so scary.
So was the French gymnast's break :( I feel so awful for athletes who've worked SO HARD to have tragedy strike at the Olympics.

Pretty cool that Michael Phelps won a gold with his relay team- did anyone watch the medal ceremony? Really touching.

You know what I'm enjoying? Rugby! There's a girl who graduated from the high school I teach at on our team!

GM
08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
That relay swimmer was so emotional! I see a change in Phelps. He's quite the leader now and seems to be mentoring the newer/younger swimmers.

Christina
08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
I know someone who called Phelps a stupid druggie and was basically hating on him because of some trouble he had a few years ago. You know. People change and can get better. He's one of them. He admitted his problem, got help, and came back better than ever. I'm happy for him!!

That Frenchman's break, I watched it about 50 times even though it was so gross. I feel so bad for him. He's having surgery and still plans to be in the 2020 Olympics. I guess the same exact thing happened to him when prepping for the 2012 Olympics.

Watched the Equestrian Cross Country today and quite a few of the horses had some bad falls...but no one seemed hurt so that's good.

mina
08-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Micheal Phelps admitted he was depressed and hit rock bottom in his personal life. That was the period of time he got those DUI's. He also admitted that he barely trained for the 2012 Olympics and it was him basically not trying. And you could see it then too; he was just so different in London and almost ready to be done. I'm glad he came back for Rio and is in a much happier and healthy place. There is no denying that he is one of, if not the most, talented Olympians of all time.

Virginia
08-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Micheal Phelps admitted he was depressed and hit rock bottom in his personal life. That was the period of time he got those DUI's. He also admitted that he barely trained for the 2012 Olympics and it was him basically not trying. And you could see it then too; he was just so different in London and almost ready to be done. I'm glad he came back for Rio and is in a much happier and healthy place. There is no denying that he is one of, if not the most, talented Olympians of all time.

Totally agree. There was a really great article in Sports Illustrated about him:
http://www.si.com/olympics/2015/11/09/michael-phelps-rehabilitation-rio-2016

Bowman says Phelps did not miss a practice leading to the nationals this year, a streak that remains intact. Phelps publicly vowed not to drink alcohol at least until the Olympic Games are finished next August. After years of regularly gutting out workouts while hungover, Phelps is training clean. Havent had a single sip and will not have a sip, he says. My body fat has dropped significantly, and Im leaner than Ive ever been. The performances were there because I worked, recovered, slept and took care of myself more than I ever had.

Christina
08-09-2016, 12:05 AM
I have immense respect for him. I honestly hadn't even heard about his drug use until this person brought it up. And then I saw why there was nothing about it. Because A. it was recreational and was not during his Olympic games (this person said the medals should be stripped in the same way Lance Armstrong's medals were) and B. he admitted his struggle, got help, and came back and rose to the top. I can't fault him for that. In fact I can respect him for that because most people who are in that place have such a hard time admitting it. He looks great and I am happy for him.

Also happy to see those two boys that won the silver in Synchronized Diving give glory to God. And I'm very thankful that there hasn't been any terrorist activity or anything bad going on. Just games, the world coming together and playing together. It's been a nice reprieve.

Virginia
08-09-2016, 09:07 PM
You are so right, Christina. The camaraderie is lovely to seek. This article was cool:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/friendly-fraught-north-and-south-korean-gymnasts-pose-selfie-together

GM
08-10-2016, 04:45 PM
http://m.christianpost.com/news/olympic-swimming-star-michael-phelps-says-rick-warrens-purpose-driven-life-saved-him-from-suicide-167539/

Virginia
08-11-2016, 02:03 PM
SO MAD at our men's volleyball teams, indoor and beach. They really choked :( BOO.

On a different note, I am so excited to see our American ladies compete in gymnastics!

purple
08-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Gymnastics this evening was amazing!
First cycling Gold to GB and a new OR! WOOHOO!!!!
Now watching final of the Rugby 7s... Fiji are killing us early on!
I'm gonna miss loads with my change in placement but have loved what I've watched so far.

Virginia
08-11-2016, 09:42 PM
There are some really strong athletes from GB, Purple! They are fun to watch!

I had a tough time watching women's beach volleyball with our 2nd team, Sweat and Fendrick. Poor Sweat has a hurt shoulder, and you could tell :(

Swimming is on right now. I am always at the edge of my seat, yelling at the swimmers... I'm sure our neighbors think I'm nuts!

I really like Maya Dirado and Missy Franklin. They seem so positive and upbeat, and I love it.

Xinnamon
08-12-2016, 12:09 AM
I have tremendous respect for Michael Phelps, but I am rooting for Joseph Schooling in the 100m butterfly. :) So proud of him! :)

Virginia
08-12-2016, 12:37 AM
Xin, do you have a personal connection with him?

Our men's volleyball team FINALLY pulled off a thrilling win- and against Brazil, too! A 3-1 win that had me on the edge of my seat. So fun to watch!

mina
08-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Wow, Simone Biles and the entire US women's gymnastics team just leaves me in awe. I don't think we've ever had such a strong team before. Usually someone gets nervous and falls or it's so close between gymnasts , you really are waiting until the last performance to know who will win. This year, it's like you know who will win going into it. Simone Biles had the widest margin to win in like 20 years or something.

Christina
08-12-2016, 12:50 AM
I know that when I was watching them tonight, especially Simone at the end, I was close to tears. I saw how hard they worked. How much they earned that position. It's like I could see everything they'd been through, put out on that floor. They just went out there and did what they do. And it was breathtaking. I didn't have a chance to watch anything else tonight. Yesterday I did my sister's senior portraits in a gymnastics gym. Not a very good one. But they do have balance beams and bars there. Never seen them in my life. Just walking across the beam was tough. Didn't dare try hoisting myself up on the bars. I can't imagine. They practice for 36 hours a week. Practically a full time job, on top of school work. They started in a little gym like my sister's. And are now Olympic medalists. Amazing.

Xinnamon
08-12-2016, 01:41 AM
Xin, do you have a personal connection with him?

Our men's volleyball team FINALLY pulled off a thrilling win- and against Brazil, too! A 3-1 win that had me on the edge of my seat. So fun to watch!

He's based in Texas now but was born and raised in Singapore (my birthplace). :)

GM
08-12-2016, 02:56 AM
^^ Gabby Douglas did not look happy tonight.

katzankatz
08-12-2016, 09:58 AM
^^ Gabby Douglas did not look happy tonight.

I was thinking the same thing, even throughout the competition.

Virginia
08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I don't blame her one bit. Here's why:

1) People are constantly commenting about how she shouldn't have even made the Olympic team. I can't imagine feeling very positive going into the Olympics if I felt like the public and possibly even my own teammates thought I didn't earn a spot there.

2) She didn't qualify for all-around, even though her score was the third highest behind Biles and Raisman. I get why they limit each country to two athletes, but that sucks still.

Those are my theories...

USA women's volleyball are up against Italy right now! WOOHOO!!!!

Virginia
08-12-2016, 09:25 PM
He's based in Texas now but was born and raised in Singapore (my birthplace). :)

Did you see his race?!?!? So exciting!

Xinnamon
08-12-2016, 09:35 PM
I am in tears!! I'm sure I will be a sobbing mess when the Singapore national anthem plays for the first time in the Olympics!!! GOLD!!!!!

GM
08-13-2016, 12:09 AM
I don't blame her one bit. Here's why:

1) People are constantly commenting about how she shouldn't have even made the Olympic team. I can't imagine feeling very positive going into the Olympics if I felt like the public and possibly even my own teammates thought I didn't earn a spot there.

2) She didn't qualify for all-around, even though her score was the third highest behind Biles and Raisman. I get why they limit each country to two athletes, but that sucks still.

Those are my theories...

USA women's volleyball are up against Italy right now! WOOHOO!!!!
If they went solely by score, she shouldn't be there. They let her in. Even with all of that she should be happy for her teammates.

Virginia
08-13-2016, 01:00 AM
If they went solely by score, she shouldn't be there. They let her in. Even with all of that she should be happy for her teammates.

Maybe she is and she's not showing it well? I don't know. I kind of think people are being way too hard on her..........

I loved watching Katie Ledecky dominate tonight. Beating people by 11 seconds in the 800 meter free? Crazy!

And Kerry Walsh Jennings and April Ross came up with a decisive win in beach volleyball, too.

mina
08-13-2016, 10:31 AM
I didn't even notice Gabby D. looking mad or whatever. Maybe she was tired, or had cramps, or had a fight with her mom, or was replaying her mistakes, or a million other things. I don't think she wasn't happy for Ali or Simone. This team seems to genuinely get along with each other and like one another ( unlike when Bella Karoyli was the head coach and he pitted them against each other emotionally). She seems aloof these games, so maybe she's dealing with something in her personal life. Just like the whole Mikayla not impressed face. People took it to mean something it wasn't. She said later she was trying not to cry and contain herself. But, people took it as she was being snarky.

As for the Olympic selection, I don't think Gabby tried to push herself on the team. The Karoylis have created a very subjective selection process where they get to handpick Olympic and World Championship teams irregardless of scores. They are quite interesting personalities. I see them as the same personality as my principal from the private school. They have contributed so much to the US teams over the years and done a lot of good for the sport, but I think they are very difficult and push hard to get their way and can be abusive emotionally and mentally if you cross them. It will be interesting to see how gymnastics changes for the US as the Karoylis retire. Gabby tried out and Marta picked the team. It's been done before, probably at every selection process since the 80's.

Virginia
08-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Epic win for the Puerto Rico tennis player Monica Puig, who won her country's first ever gold medal at the Olympics! So fun to watch history being made!

Virginia
08-17-2016, 12:29 AM
And Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross lost in the semis.
No chance for gold. So, so heartbreaking :( Very high error match on Kerri's side. Brazil was almost flawless. Everything went their way. They played so well.

Mrs_B
08-17-2016, 08:12 AM
^^ Watching that was one of the only times I've ever wished that I could have the results spoiled for me. It was hard to watch! I do hope Brazil wins the gold though, always fun to watch the home team win!

Virginia
08-17-2016, 04:31 PM
I hope Kerri and April beat the #1 Brazilian team they're playing today to get the bronze. I'd be OK if Brazil beat Germany because then at least Kerri and April lost to the gold medal winners, ya know?

Our US men' s indoor volleyball team played today, too, so that was fun to watch! They're moving on :)

mina
08-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Yay, Armenia! They won their first gold medal yesterday! In weightlifting!

Virginia
08-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Yay, Armenia! They won their first gold medal yesterday! In weightlifting!

That's awesome!

Xinnamon
08-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Did Ryan Lochte really lie about being robbed at gunpoint? He owes Brazil a huge apology.

snooch
08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Did Ryan Lochte really lie about being robbed at gun point? He owes Brazil a huge apology.

I didn't watch his reality show, but I read a lot about it and he comes off as a total idiot.

mina
08-18-2016, 10:52 PM
He has always seemed like an arrogant jock to me. I'm dumbfounded that he actually thought the truth wouldn't come out. Did none of them at least discuss to agree on a common storyline. ....If you are going to be a lying dirtbag, then at least coraborate your stories.

snooch
08-19-2016, 10:03 AM
They were all drunk.

mina
08-19-2016, 10:21 AM
They didn't claim to be robbed while they were all drunk. They didn't report it until later. It wasn't until they had sobered up that they started telling about the robbery. Lochte gave two very sober interviews to the media and his stories didn't even match then. If they were going to lie to try and cover up that they were smashed, they should have at least agreed on a version. They were believed until the stories just didn't add up and they all said something different. And Lochte said something different twice. They probably had a few hours of sobriety in which they all agreed to lie; it's just really stupid that none of them though to get the details straight and have a common story. I don't support that, but the fact that none of them thought about it just makes them all look stupider than they are.

Virginia
08-23-2016, 01:15 AM
Lochte also hired the same PR guy that Justin Bieber uses...so...that tells me a little something.

I'm kind of upset that story stole the spotlight from the athletes who were still competing :frusty

And I'm very sad the Olympics are over :(

Gillian
08-23-2016, 04:32 AM
Did you see his race?!?!? So exciting!

Did you see how Phelps came over to Schooling afterwards to congratulate him after the race? Wonderful sportsmanship.

Another incident that impressed me was when two athletes in the women's 5000 metre race collided and one of them fell, injuring herself badly. The other athlete stopped to help her and wouldn't leave her until a wheelchair was brought. There's a photo of the two of them together later, each wearing their respective flags, one Australian and the other American. It was the Australian who stopped to help and she has been given a special award for what she did - something to do with showing the true Olympic spirit.

Gillian

mina
08-24-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm so sad the Olympics are over! :( And i'm glad there was a selfie line around Simone biles at the closing ceremony!