PDA

View Full Version : Adult Bible Study Book Idea?

Virginia
08-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Any good books that would serve as a basis for a monthly adult Bible study?
Our group is diverse, age-wise. My husband and I are the youngest, and the oldest couple is in their 80's.

The small group leader seems pretty open to all suggestions.

snooch
08-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Do you mean book of the Bible? Or Christian book about Christian topics? I personally strongly prefer our Bible study topics to be actual books of the Bible, but I know a lot of people like studying about the Bible, or Christian books, so I wanted to be clear what you were asking for.

For books of the Bible, especially for a diverse group, I love studying John's epistles. There's a lot in them that apply to all stages in physical/spiritual life, and they are short enough to break into easy lessons for new groups that are just getting started.

DIANAC
08-29-2016, 10:36 AM
We are studying the Proverbs in SEPTUAGINT (!).
I don't ever remember studying the Proverbs in a Bible study setting, just a personal study. IMO, they must be learned and memorized. Yes, they surely apply to all ages!

Virginia
08-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Do you mean book of the Bible? Or Christian book about Christian topics? I personally strongly prefer our Bible study topics to be actual books of the Bible, but I know a lot of people like studying about the Bible, or Christian books, so I wanted to be clear what you were asking for.

For books of the Bible, especially for a diverse group, I love studying John's epistles. There's a lot in them that apply to all stages in physical/spiritual life, and they are short enough to break into easy lessons for new groups that are just getting started.

A Christian book, not a book of the Bible.
I think...

katzankatz
08-30-2016, 02:02 AM
Here are a few that our life group has done recently that I thought were good.

The Best Question Ever by Andy Stanley - about making wise choices in life.
Plan B by Pete Wilson - about when life doesn't go the way you thought it would.
When Helping Hurts by Brian Fikkert and Steve Corbett - about helping people in poverty.

Virginia
08-31-2016, 10:33 PM
So helpful; thank you, all!

purple
09-04-2016, 07:17 PM
We are studying the Proverbs in SEPTUAGINT (!).
I don't ever remember studying the Proverbs in a Bible study setting, just a personal study. IMO, they must be learned and memorized. Yes, they surely apply to all ages!

Wow, I've learnt something new tonight. I didn't realise that within the Septuagint the book of Proverbs was longer...

DIANAC
09-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Wow, I've learnt something new tonight. I didn't realise that within the Septuagint the book of Proverbs was longer...

Yes and yes, my dear purple! There are so many things in Septuagint that are not in Masoretic Text.
Besides, even meaning of some text is completely different.
For example, Pr 17:17 (KJV) A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
All my life I was wondering about this scripture. It says that my brother was born to bring adversity into my life. This did not make sense. Not at all!!!
Here, what Septuagint says
" Have thou a friend for every time, and let brethren be useful in distress; for on this account are they born."

!!!!!!

snooch
09-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Yes and yes, my dear purple! There are so many things in Septuagint that are not in Masoretic Text.
Besides, even meaning of some text is completely different.
For example, Pr 17:17 (KJV) A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
All my life I was wondering about this scripture. It says that my brother was born to bring adversity into my life. This did not make sense. Not at all!!!
Here, what Septuagint says
" Have thou a friend for every time, and let brethren be useful in distress; for on this account are they born."

!!!!!!

Okay, that brings such clarity to that verse! I honestly have never enjoyed reading Proverbs... there is so much wisdom in them, I get that, and I find some of it, but when I feel like I have to puzzle out the meaning so often, I find it tedious. Now I'm thinking the next time I get to them in my pass through the Bible, I'll switch to the Septuagint instead!

snooch
09-04-2016, 10:02 PM
What version/translation are you using Diana?

purple
09-05-2016, 05:18 AM
I so need to get a copy of the septuagint.

DIANAC
09-05-2016, 06:59 AM
There's no good Septuagint translation. But use Brenton's Septuagint (LXX). NIV and ESV are also good. I would use all of them for comparison and clarity. There's a need for good readable Septuagint. As my brother is teaching Proverbs he is also doing his own translation.

snooch
09-05-2016, 10:33 AM
I found one called A New English Translation of the Septuagint that looks like it could be good for side-by-side studies. It doesn't seem terribly readable by itself, but for study and comparison it looks like it could be. I think I'm going to pick it up. My study app also has Brenton's (LXX) available so thanks for that Diana, I'm going to check it out too.

DIANAC
09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
smooch, when I first began reading my Bible I was a young engineer working at CBS. Since I could not understand the rest of the Bible very easily I started reading Psalms and Provebrs . I was so impressed by Proverbs for it's practical wisdom, that I began wondering if Personnel Department should give each new employee a Bible and especially Proverbs. :)
Yes, do study Proverbs! I just found out that there's a fancy word for students of Proverbs. It's PAREMIOLOGIST!!!

ETA. Look what I called you instead of snooch. :) I am going to leave it :)

snooch
09-05-2016, 01:46 PM
^^ LOL Diana! :D