PDA

View Full Version : What did you do/are you doing today?

Gillian
09-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Hi, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we share what we are/have been doing in a day.

Right now, it is 11.30 pm in the UK and we have had a busy day. Dh and I were at church this morning and our eldest joined us here at home in the afternoon - he lives in Belfast. He helped me to prepare dinner and had a guitar jam session with dh. Sunday dinner here is usually a biggy - roast, potatoes, stuffing and veg with gravy. Any wanting dessert just grabs something out of the fridge or freezer.

This evening another son came with dh and me to church for a farewell service for a family going out on missionary work in Romania. The dad of the family is originally from there and met the mum when she was out there working in an orphanage. Refreshments were served afterwards.

So, what have you been up to?

Gillian

purple
09-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Technically it is Monday now but Sunday we had church.
I doubled up with our vicar to lead the service which was our annual school bag service and it was good fun.
DH and I then came home, he did some work on the car and I rested and I'm having a bit of trouble with my energy levels. I've not really stopped since I got back from Soul Survivor so I've had no proper recovery time...
Now I'm up watching London Brawling take on The Texacutioners for top seed in the first of the division 1 play offs!

Christina
09-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Well, I had church this morning which started with worship team practice at 8:15, then worship at 10, then making arrangements after church was over for an event my sisters and I are playing at this weekend for the church. Then I came home and was pretty tired so I didn't do a lot until evening when I cooked dinner. Now I am relaxing and watching Master Chef.

snooch
09-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Husband and I slept in, which was glorious as it doesn't happen much LOL. We put together a bed frame that we'd been waiting to assemble for months, watched some TV, talked to a good friend on the phone, did a couple of chores, but mostly have just relaxed and played. It's been a day of complete relaxation. I needed it. :)

katzankatz
09-05-2016, 12:32 AM
It has been kind of a weird weekend. I have what I guess could be considered "the blues". Nothing major. Just a little off. Hormones, or maybe the change in seasons are a little overwhelming right now.

Anyway...

I missed church this morning, and I always regret when I miss church. I was up late last night after having forgotten to take any daily medications, and I was really feeling some pain. Such dumb things we do sometimes. I watched an Alfred Hitchcock double feature -The Birds, and Psycho, both of which I like. But most of the time I am smart enough to watch only ONE of these at a time because each one on its own can be pretty disturbing. So yeah, I was in pain, was feeling a bit depressed, then watched two disturbing movies in a row, late at night. Also - yesterday, all over my Facebook feed was news and comment from my home state of Minnesota about a major child abduction case that has been going on for 27 years, and it has ended badly. :( It's very sad. Thinking about all that too.

So, today was weird. We got lunch from Dicky's, then went home and got busy. I managed to do some housework, washed some bedding, and did some vacuuming, and supervised the cooking of dinner. Kids actually wanted to take care of dinner. Dh has been working on fixing the boat trailer all weekend, and it's just a big job. Ds painted his truck this afternoon. Yes, he bought paint and painted his truck. It actually looks not too bad. I was surprised. Dd had been taking a lot of the initiative in getting our kitchen fixed up. So she did some more painting today.

Weekend is not over yet as tomorrow is Labor Day, making this a long weekend. I hope it is a better day tomorrow. I am going to get together with my sister and some friends in the evening, so that is something to look forward to.

GM
09-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Went to church all morning, came home to prep lunch, sent back to church for a new service we're starting, came home to finish lunch...Laid low the rest of the day.

snooch
09-05-2016, 10:30 AM
We were going to check out a lake near our house, but I'm not sure now. It's 9:30 a.m. and I've only just gotten out of bed. It may be another lazy day.

Christina
09-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Lots of website work is in the plan today. Been slack about it and I am visiting one of my clients tomorrow and have to have some of it done by then!

snooch
09-05-2016, 01:48 PM
We are going to the lake :)

katzankatz
09-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Dd and I went shopping. My niece is getting married in a couple weeks, and the wedding is an art deco theme. Dd looks adorable in the roaring twenties; me, not so much. Think I'll hit Hobby Lobby for a sewing project.

GM
09-06-2016, 02:45 AM
I cleaned out cabinets today :D

snooch
09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Today is my grocery shopping day. It's also my Monday, which means I have to get organized for the rest of the week. :D

katzankatz
09-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Going to work. Have to put Halloween merchandise up.

mina
09-06-2016, 12:19 PM
I did an arm workout while Violet sat in her highchair and ate and laughed at me. Then I ate, washed dishes, let Violet play, gave her a bath, called my mom so V could baby talk to her. Then grandma came and while she plays with V, I vacuumed the living room and dusted , now I"m going to file some papers.

Christina
09-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Housework and I have a website appointment at 1. Which is very soon. Then more housework. Have someone coming to look at the house on Thursday so I have to get this place whipped back into shape!

purple
09-06-2016, 02:49 PM
I was up late but got going right away. Did some bits here then went and dropped some Body Shop stuff to a customer and went and picked up some potatoes for tea...

But the biggest thing of today was crossfit and I swear I almost died in that box today. That workout was brutal...
A 14 min EMOM of odd mins 5x55kg deadlift even mins 10 hand release press ups followed by a 16 min EMOM of 10 calorie row, 10 step overs, 10 wall balls, rest...
By the 3rd round on the second EMOM I was struggling but pushed through and it was made even worse by the peeps from the following class turning up and watching.
When I got off the rower for the last time I thought my legs were gonna give way and the last set of wall balls were brutal but come the end my trainer said 'and now you are allowed to collapse on the mat'

But today I pretty much made it through a standard class WOD... she made the second EMOM short for me (4 rounds not 6) but I was scaled up on reps the same as the standard class which I'm really chuffed with. Especially since I've not been for 3 weeks!

Then I came home, made DH tea.

Since then I've done a bit of research online for what to do with the rest of the wooden tags I have left over from one of my Christmas Stock projects, then got the two big bags of clothes I've been intending to take to the carbon and haven't yet, laid them out on the bed, took a photo and added them to a Facebook page online for reselling plus size clothes.

Now I'm on here telling you all what I've done today!

Next I'm going to continue to research deco mesh as it MUST be cheaper to get here SOMEWHERE! But I swear next year I'm going to take a buying top to the states to get craft materials, I'm sure it will be cheaper!

Virginia
09-06-2016, 11:24 PM
1) Woke up early and made it to work an hour early. Win.
2) Survived my first day teaching. I can already tell I have some discipline issues with my students who were pushing boundaries day one. That drained me emotionally.
3) Survived coaching my first every JV volleyball game and getting yelled at by a parent at game one.
4) Worked out to relieve stress
5) Currently watching Fiddler on the Roof and reviewing student data.

Christina
09-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Ended up weeding the garden, making mini pizzas instead of meatloaf, doing dishes, and running errands.

snooch
09-07-2016, 08:44 AM
I have to make some phone calls today. This is never a fun thing for me. I hate talking to people on the phone.

Beyond that, I have a lot of beginning of the month accounting-type things to attend to today.

snooch
09-08-2016, 01:11 PM
More phone calls, yay!

Christina
09-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Housework and more housework! Then chiro appointment at 2 (I need it so badly too so yay) and then finishing touches on housework...how can a house go from show-ready to a mess in such a short time? It's been like 3 weeks since I showed it last and there's so much I need to do lol

Showing the house at 6:30 tonight and then maybe I can convince hubby to go out to ice cream or something for our 9th anniversary.

tiredwalker
09-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I got a wicked sweaty workout in and then I realized the piano teacher was walking down the drive...sorry I stink, forgot it was Thursday.

Besides that, home schooling, forcing the kids to do their chores, we went to the library and the store for sidewalk chalk, more chores, finish school.

I'll make dinner in a bit, but mostly I just want to go to sleep and have no small people in bed with me. I can hardly wait until DH gets home from India on Saturday. Pthhhhhhhh I'm a total downer today.

DIANAC
09-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Our family is going to a wake today. My cousin's husband died. Life is so short. I remember their wedding.

snooch
09-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Our family is going to a wake today. My cousin's husband died. Life is so short. I remember their wedding.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(
:hug:

snooch
09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Today is laundry and bill paying. I'm glad it's Friday. Short weeks feel like long weeks.

katzankatz
09-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Working at my favorite location today. It's a nice , calm, clean store and people are friendly. Tonight I'm hoping to do something fun.

Christina
09-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Working at my husband's show this afternoon then doing music practice with my sisters. Then hopefully hibernating.

Gillian
09-13-2016, 07:08 AM
At urology day care unit with son. Going to be a long day. Here since 8.30 am. Came by taxi - expensive, but driver knew a quick route that got us here quicker than dh would have got us here.

Gillian

snooch
09-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Gillian, I hope your son is okay. :hug:

Today, I'm making stew for dinner, going to Costco, and I'm going to try to get my husband's vehicle inspection taken care of.

Christina
09-13-2016, 10:54 AM
I feel like crap so I am going to mostly bum around and work on the websites I am supposed to be building. Might make meatloaf later for dinner.

katzankatz
09-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I had a hair appointment. Then I came home and made a grocery list and went shopping. Feels so good to have meals in the kitchen! Tonight I'm making shrimp fried rice.

Virginia
09-14-2016, 12:08 AM
Work. I am finally getting to the point where I know my kids' names...all 110+ of them!
Coached. I am irritated with the parents who are not abiding by the team policies they signed that they'd abide by...

And I literally got home at 10:15 p.m. and have been working on paperwork every since.

I love the beginning of school.....................please send coffee stat. Thank you ;)

snooch
09-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Today is catch-up day. I need to go through my to do list and start crossing off things that have sat on there too long and need to be addressed.

Christina
09-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Doing a quick cleanup of the house and supposed to show it at 2pm. Let's hope this person actually shows up...unlike the last one.

Melissa1208
09-14-2016, 03:00 PM
So far I have cooked breakfast and lunch done 3 loads of laundry and dishes for breakfast and lunch... We do not have a dishwasher FYI... 3 loads of baby sterilizer stuff, bathed all three of the babies, filled the dogs prescriptions went through work emails changed the trash twice.

I hope to clean the rabbit cage vacuum the house which is pretty much obligatory get a shower cook and clean up dinner and fold all the laundry and put it away as well as clean the bathroom... I will be pleased if I can get all those things done this evening

Eta and fed the baby many many times changed many many butts and squished people as much as possible

Melissa1208
09-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Today is catch-up day. I need to go through my to do list and start crossing off things that have sat on there too long and need to be addressed.

this is me with laundry today. I worked this weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday so I have a lot of catching up to do :-(

purple
09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
So far today I've been to the Crossfit Box and done a workout... was feeling strong and strict pressed 32.5kg so I'm chuffed with that... banged my chin on the penultimate push jerk though... OOPS!
Then came home and DH and I went to get some wood for some Christmas projects (see random rant thread)
Grabbed some lunch and now feeling sleepy but I need to go out again and get food for tea.

Melissa1208
09-16-2016, 10:29 AM
it is 10:30 a.m. and I have a sink full of dishes from breakfast all the kids are in diapers because I'm getting ready to give them baths and when the bath towels get done that will be the second load of laundry of the day already.

I am hoping to get in the office to start packing up stuff today if my mother-in-law can come over to squish babies. we are in the process of converting the office into a bedroom. it will be a play room first and then a bedroom for my daughter when she gets a little older.

snooch
09-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Laundry day. And I think this afternoon I might actually play a little WoW for the first time in forever.

tiredwalker
09-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm sitting on hold with Air Canada right now waiting to try to get our seats tied down. If they don't sit us with our children, I'm going to give them their own 5 pound bags of sugar and a spoon.

mina
09-16-2016, 03:18 PM
woke up at 7:20 from like four to five hours of bad sleep. consumed coffee mixed with teechino, let baby play. Made breakfast and did an arm workout while she ate and giggled at me. Then I ate, washed dishes, let her play in the living room, gave her a bath. At 11:30 I gave her a bottle and she zonked out for a nap and slept for 2 and a half hours so I guess she didn't sleep good last night either. I took a nap also; it was wonderful. Then I took baby to grandma's house, now I need to shower and clean and get all the laundry out of the dryer.

Christina
09-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Woke up late and in a daze for some reason, went to work in the shop all day, dealt with a network marketer that wouldn't shut up, then came home and made some french toast and now trying to relax.

katzankatz
09-16-2016, 11:54 PM
I worked at my favorite store. After work I went and looked at mattresses. Man, they're expensive. I took a wrong turn on the way home which landed me in a TJMaxx parking lot. Figured I might as well go in and see if I could find any bargains. I ended up with a dress to wear too my niece's wedding. I like it better than the other one I bought. We ate at an Italian restaurant for dinner. My food was just ok. I was disappointed that it wasn't delicious. Dd and I went to JCPenney to shop for a dress for her, and we found one that she loves and it was on sale. Since I was disappointed in my Italian dinner I figured I deserved something, so I stopped at cheesecake factory for a slice of lemon meringue.

snooch
09-17-2016, 10:14 AM
^^ Mmmm Cheesecake Factory! :D

We are going to lunch with the neighbors across the street today. I have basically met them once, so I hope it's not too awkward.

My husband has worked 70 hours in the past week, and *thinks* he will not have to work this weekend - so we are going to take advantage of the opportunity and do absolutely nothing that doesn't have to be done for the next two days :)

Manna
09-17-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm at a Beth Moore simulcast at a church I've never been to before now. I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the new people I've met and small talk I've had in the last week. I'm ready for familiar faces and places!

Christina
09-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Went shopping with hubby this morning/afternoon and soon will be heading to my mom's for an end-of-summer cookout. That should be fun.

mina
09-17-2016, 06:02 PM
We went apple picking!

purple
09-20-2016, 06:13 PM
I slept most of the day but then went to my PT session...

I went in tired and not feeling it at all but the session was great.

I've got my 1000m row down under 5 minutes for the last 4 rows now and this one was the quickest...
I back squatted 50kg 5 times back to back and killed the WOD...
My trainer asked me if I could skip and we found out I could which was awesome...
THEN I needed to stretch out so tried to hang off the cage and actually managed to hang there for more than a second... I even did 2 part knee raises!
Good day in the Box!

Christina
09-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Played tennis with my Nana, then ran a couple of errands, then came home and made dinner and now I'm relaxing and working on a drawing and a website.

snooch
09-20-2016, 07:43 PM
I had a meeting at church, then did the grocery list and grocery shopping, then made a bunch of phone calls (my favorite thing ever....) and now I'm ready to crash and we haven't even had dinner yet. :/

katzankatz
09-21-2016, 01:10 AM
Worked at Walgreens today. There was not much to do, so I took advantage of some alone time and did some shoe shopping. I actually did find a couple pairs that will work for me. So I bought the less expensive of the two. They are nothing super exciting, just basic black flats.

Later I took Dd to the same store and bought her some shoes too

Came home and dyed a mint green and white dress to sapphire blue. I had to "cook" it on the stove, constantly stirring for 30 minutes. It looks pretty good, but I wish I'd have taken it out a little sooner as it's a little darker than I wanted. Oh well.

blythe_ann
09-21-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm in a season of life where I won't hardly stop to breath, it feels like, so it's sometimes easier to list what I'm not doing.
Today is pretty relaxed compared to normal. Up at 5:30 (slept through my alarm and woke to my husbands, whoops!), 6 mile run, shower, dishes, feed and care for baby, drop baby off with Grandma, help grandma around the house a bit, go to work. After work (I hope to get off a bit early) I will lift weights (because I slept in this morning), make dinner, laundry, clean the floors, organize my new tupperware and organize pictures.
Easy day ;).

purple
09-21-2016, 05:16 PM
I finally got my first project for Christmas Shows finished! I've a long way to go but it's a start...

snooch
09-21-2016, 05:30 PM
I finally got my first project for Christmas Shows finished! I've a long way to go but it's a start...

I like those :)

I did a thousand little, inconsequential things that took up most of my day and made me feel like I accomplished nothing because there is no noticeable difference in my to do list or my house.

Christina
09-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Had a hard time getting going (again) but then I did some misc. house stuff, hung out with hubby when he came home for a late lunch, then decided I'd had enough of sitting around so I went down to a walking path and walked a mile each way and kicked my own butt. Wasn't ready for 2 miles but I did it anyway. Then came home, cooled off and ate some cake. Because that's what you do when you exercise, lol. Now just getting ready to go upstairs and fold some laundry while hubby's worship team is here. After that I will work on websites.

katzankatz
09-21-2016, 11:55 PM
I like those. Are they wood?

katzankatz
09-22-2016, 12:02 AM
I took Dd to Starbucks so she could spend a gift card. So I basically had a bunch of sugar for breakfast this morning. For the last few days I've felt like I had a little stomach bug or something. I really thought I was over it, but started to feel lousy at work later, and regretted the high sugar breakfast I'd just eaten. There was not much work to do today, so took the extra time I had to stop at Joann Fabrics and bought a roll of fancy trim to stitch onto the dress I'm altering. I'm heading toward Minnesota for the weekend tomorrow evening, so will need to do some packing and some shopping. Hope I feel better by then.

Melissa1208
09-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Losing my mind may be on the agenda today.

Christina
09-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Had a rough night sleeping-wise so I woke up really really late...at 3:30 I have a short website client appointment and that's about it. I might make some quiche later. I'm just so beat.

snooch
09-22-2016, 09:30 PM
I did laundry, and towels, wrote out cards for people at church on the prayer/need list, paid bills, and ran a ton of errands.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the day off and will be out most of the day. :D

mina
09-22-2016, 10:35 PM
We woke up early after going to bed late. And we went to a my gym toddler class. Violet loved it so we may go back. It must have really tired her out combined with the early morning b/c she took a three hour nap this afternoon and so did I!!!! And she went to bed early! So now I'm about to go to bed. I also made apple buttermilk bread.

katzankatz
09-23-2016, 02:38 AM
Prepared and shopped and packed all afternoon for our trip. Ds was supposed to come home early so we could leave at 5. You might guess how that went. We didn't leave the house till after 6 cause he couldn't get out of work. We took Dog with us so we could drop her at the sitter on our way out of town. It's a bit out of our way, close to half and hour off the freeway, to get there. We got her there, then as we were heading back to the freeway, we noticed an unpleasant smell coming from the truck. Had to stop and investigate. Turns out there is a stuck brake pad. Sigh. So we had to go aaaaallll the way back home to switch to the car. While Dd and I transferred luggage Dh went to find his car key. Couldn't find it, though we spent a long time looking. Sigggghhh. Well, thankfully I did have my key. We left the house at 9 pm! Only 4 hours late.

I drove most of the way to our halfway point where we are staying at a hotel. I'm still amped up, not even interested in sleeping even though it's 130 am.

Virginia
09-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I went into school for three hours this morning for an AP prep session (that only eight out of thirty-nine of my AP kids attended). Fun fact: three of the eight were football players. Shattering stereotypes at my school; I LOVE it!
Now, I'm getting ready to go to a college volleyball game with the JV team I am coaching...
When that's finally over, I'm grading the hundreds of papers I have to grade ;)

snooch
09-24-2016, 02:37 PM
It's been a long day for a Saturday. We had no a/c yesterday and a bad night's sleep as a result. Got up super early for the a/c repair guy to fix us, ran out to pick up breakfast, now just trying to cool off and enjoy our afternoon. But we're both exhausted so we might just nap and call it a day.

mina
09-24-2016, 09:14 PM
We woke up early and went to a flea market in New jersey. Now baby is falling asleep early and I'm going to bed early as well.

katzankatz
09-25-2016, 12:20 AM
We spent the day at my sister's house along with lots and lots of other people, family and friends. It was fun. Someone brought some amazing steaks over and grilled them. They were mouthwatering delicious. Just don't get great steak like that very often.

snooch
09-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Church and then football. :)

Virginia
09-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Grading ALL THE PAPERS ;)
But seriously, I'm drowning in paperwork.

Oh, and reading Interrupted: When Jesus Wrecks Your Comfortable Christianity by Jen Hatmaker.

tiredwalker
09-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Today, I started painting like the dickens. I had painted the entire living space a lovely Crystalline Mist and loved it until our first cool day made me realize it made the house look like an ice cube--not so great for my seasonal affect disorder. Now I'm on to Marsh Marigold--happy!

I also cooked up a nice coq au vin.

Virginia
09-30-2016, 10:04 PM
TW, I'm coming over for dinner!

After school and practice today, I stayed to teach a couple of my JV girls how to jump serve, and some of the varsity boys wanted to come over and learn, so I ended up getting home late. It's always kind of funny to see your students in a setting outside the classroom and to bond over a sport (and show them that you have skills beyond just boring them with work ;) ).

And now guess what I am doing? It rhymes with "pading grapers" ;)

Gillian
10-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Hubby and I were at a thanksgiving service for a friend of ours from university. A lovely time of worship and praise to our God. It was a long service and we visited family afterwards, so we were out most of the day. KFC for dinner.

Gillian

snooch
10-01-2016, 08:22 PM
We went driving around neighborhoods looking around. We've decided the house we're in can't be our last house - it's too big for us especially as we get older - so we're going to take our time and find a place that suits us really well. Today was just a bit of scouting.

katzankatz
10-01-2016, 11:47 PM
We all slept in. It felt good, but it also made the day seem too short. Didn't get a ton accomplished. Did a little laundry and a little baking.

Gillian
10-18-2016, 06:33 PM
I pray God will give you clear directions to the home of His choice, Snooch.

Katzankatz, we all get days like those - night time comes too soon when it happens, but you just tell yourself, 'tomorrow is another day'!

This afternoon I took my son for his monthly blood test - he's on medication for psoriatic arthritis - and after that we paid a quick visit to a garage shop for some groceries. Tonight another son and I went to our local historical society. We heard a talk on legends and superstitions. It was very interesting.

Just having a good night drink before heading off to bed.

God bless.

Gillian

snooch
10-18-2016, 07:15 PM
That sounds like a really interesting talk. :)

I got to have an easy day today. I planned several things that all went faster than anticipated, giving me a bit of free time to enjoy.

katzankatz
10-18-2016, 09:46 PM
I did a workout with PBS this morning called Classical Stretch. First time I've ever done it, and it felt good. Went to work and found it frustrating, and was not able to get done what needed to be done. Came home and cooked way too complicated a dinner. Ugh. Worked on some painting in the kitchen. Just got off the phone with Boston Store. No I do not want to set up a $1.99 program to ensure that my bill always gets paid on time. No. I said no. Don't ask me again.

I will finish my day by cleaning the kitchen and curling up with some Frankenstein.

snooch
10-19-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm making a big pot of stew for dinner tonight, working on cards for people at church who are sick or in need, and catching up on bill-paying and budgeting.

Christina
10-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Going to make chicken noodle soup and do some cleaning and maybe clean my car and run and errand and and and...yep I plan on being busy...yet here I sit :D lol

katzankatz
10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Kind of an anxious day today. Went to work, hoping hoping hoping and expecting that today would go better than yesterday. It was better, but wouldn't you know it, 4 cartons of merchandise did not show up this week. Thankfully 3 of them have been traced, but the 4th one is showing delivered, but it's not at the store. Where is it?!

Then I got to make a fun phone call to Ds teacher to discuss a falling AP lit grade. What a shock. The kid hates reading, and hates writing assignments even worse. What I wish is that there could be a basic English and grammar class for him to take. I'm STILL reminding him to begin sentences upper case letters and put periods at the ends. I know they were supposed to have learned this stuff in grades 1-8, but some kids just don't, you know?

This turned into a bit of a rant.

snooch
10-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Katz, I'm curious, if your son doesn't like reading or writing, and has problems with basic grammar, why is he enrolled in an AP lit class? It doesn't seem like something he can benefit from right now?

katzankatz
10-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Katz, I'm curious, if your son doesn't like reading or writing, and has problems with basic grammar, why is he enrolled in an AP lit class? It doesn't seem like something he can benefit from right now?
It's basically due to poor English class options for his particular grade and schedule. He has to take an English class, and really, the only ones available were two AP courses. There are some easier English classes, and for some reasons I can't remember now he would have to take them in the summer or double them up.

Before the school year started, I began to sort of panic and I made phone calls to the guidance counselor about making some changes, so he wouldn't have to take it. I was told that "oohh, nooo, dropping AP class is highly discouraged and is really hard to do!"

I don't know, maybe are there some "politics" behind that? It doesn't sound like a rule that is sensitive to the needs/abilities of the kid.

Kind of feel like a failure for not advocating harder for him.

The teacher is super nice though, at least. I talked to her on the phone for quite awhile today.

snooch
10-20-2016, 09:18 AM
You're not a failure at all. It sounds like they make the options weak, and the processes difficult, and the the kids have to muddle through. :hug:

katzankatz
10-20-2016, 07:18 PM
You're not a failure at all. It sounds like they make the options weak, and the processes difficult, and the the kids have to muddle through. :hug:

The teacher said that there are some other kids in the same situation. It's weird.

Gillian
10-31-2016, 03:35 PM
Glad to hear the teacher's supportive, Katz.

I did my weekly stint in the charity shop this morning, then hubby took me out to lunch at his favourite Chinese restaurant. I spent most of the afternoon doing routine stuff and filed some paper work. Now just enjoying a light evening meal.

Gillian

katzankatz
10-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Today I am experiencing happiness and sadness. Happiness for friends who have finally made it to China to bring home their newly adopted son. Sad for my sister who fell on her knee and totally demolished her kneecap. It's completely broken in half with a wide gap between the two pieces, and the pain is nearly unbearable for her.

Other than that, I'm lying low today. Achy, low fever, tired, headache. One might think I have a virus, but no. This is how my once-a-month has been going for the last few months. Finally remembered the name of the doctor who was helping me before. Guess I'll give her a call.

Virginia
10-31-2016, 11:36 PM
It's basically due to poor English class options for his particular grade and schedule. He has to take an English class, and really, the only ones available were two AP courses. There are some easier English classes, and for some reasons I can't remember now he would have to take them in the summer or double them up.

Before the school year started, I began to sort of panic and I made phone calls to the guidance counselor about making some changes, so he wouldn't have to take it. I was told that "oohh, nooo, dropping AP class is highly discouraged and is really hard to do!"

I don't know, maybe are there some "politics" behind that? It doesn't sound like a rule that is sensitive to the needs/abilities of the kid.

Kind of feel like a failure for not advocating harder for him.

The teacher is super nice though, at least. I talked to her on the phone for quite awhile today.

I teach at a school where we only offer "basic" English and then AP. It's hard :( I'm sorry the schedule didn't work out better for your son!

Virginia
10-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Today I asked a child to leave my class for being disruptive (constantly talking, talking back to me, being on her phone) and was told, "I'm not disrupting your class. You're disrupting your own class." I had to try really hard to maintain my stern face and not laugh. She left, but then she skipped by wandering the sidewalk instead of waiting outside my room, so I got to call security on her. That's fun.

Then in another class, I was told that it's my fault a student got a 75% on a notebook check because the student "didn't know I had to actually DO the graphic organizer you gave me...I thought I just glued it in my notebook You didn't tell me to do anything when you gave me the paper." Um, no- that's why the directions told you to fill it out/highlight certain things...? And then said student proceeded to keep telling me, "That's not fair. That's so unfair. You never told me." So I just said, "Let this be a teachable moment for you," and walked away. Sigh.

Finally, I went to volleyball practice. We were doing a drill, and the players started to argue with me about a call I made (ball in/out), and I said, "Please remember you can't argue with the ref in a game, so let's not do it in practice." I was then told, "Well, you argue with the ref all the time." Um, inaccurate; however... I, as the coach, am allowed to address the ref. You, as the player, are NOT...

Anyway, I'm exhausted. I try to take a reasonable, respectful, authoritative approach to teaching and coaching because the kids respond better to it most of the time. But today, I got tired of my authority being questioned and snapped into dictator mode for a little bit. And I'm exhausted from that :( :( :( :(

Christina
11-01-2016, 01:59 AM
I got up and for once I felt halfway good. I started out the day by making an appointment with a new doctor who I hope is going to help me with my health issues. Then I got up and made myself a to-do list which basically listed things to do for each day this week. I need to get stuff done and sometimes structured daily lists help me. Then I did some emergency work on a website I help maintain. After that, I made pie dough and then a quiche and Skyped with my dad. Took a nice break and then got up and did dishes and completely cleaned the kitchen. And then I did a bunch of website work on a website I'm building. Then I filled out a meal plan for the rest of this week. And now I am going to do my nightly exercises and go to bed because it's late and I'm pretty cold!

katzankatz
11-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Today I asked a child to leave my class for being disruptive (constantly talking, talking back to me, being on her phone) and was told, "I'm not disrupting your class. You're disrupting your own class." I had to try really hard to maintain my stern face and not laugh. She left, but then she skipped by wandering the sidewalk instead of waiting outside my room, so I got to call security on her. That's fun.

Then in another class, I was told that it's my fault a student got a 75% on a notebook check because the student "didn't know I had to actually DO the graphic organizer you gave me...I thought I just glued it in my notebook You didn't tell me to do anything when you gave me the paper." Um, no- that's why the directions told you to fill it out/highlight certain things...? And then said student proceeded to keep telling me, "That's not fair. That's so unfair. You never told me." So I just said, "Let this be a teachable moment for you," and walked away. Sigh.

Finally, I went to volleyball practice. We were doing a drill, and the players started to argue with me about a call I made (ball in/out), and I said, "Please remember you can't argue with the ref in a game, so let's not do it in practice." I was then told, "Well, you argue with the ref all the time." Um, inaccurate; however... I, as the coach, am allowed to address the ref. You, as the player, are NOT...

Anyway, I'm exhausted. I try to take a reasonable, respectful, authoritative approach to teaching and coaching because the kids respond better to it most of the time. But today, I got tired of my authority being questioned and snapped into dictator mode for a little bit. And I'm exhausted from that :( :( :( :( Wow. I can see why you're exhausted. Some of the stories from school that my son comes home with make me shake my head. Things that would have gotten us in trouble when we were in school are now no big deal at all.

snooch
11-01-2016, 01:29 PM
I got lasagna started cooking in the crock pot (lots of prep) and did the grocery shopping. That's about all I think I have the energy for today. :/

Christina
11-01-2016, 04:11 PM
So far I have cleaned both bathrooms. Next up is making deviled eggs, I think...then cleaning my office and then doing some website work.

katzankatz
11-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Well, I WAS having a great day at work until it all ended badly. :( Going to make a chicken and vegetable stew for dinner. Then I'll probably get some kind of exercise and probably catch up on some laundry.

Melissa1208
11-09-2016, 02:01 AM
I voted.

purple
11-09-2016, 12:50 PM
After waking up early with cramp I watched BBC News while the result of the US Election came in. I then went back to sleep until just gone midday.
I went out for a bit, weighed at Boots (another 2lbs gone), went to the docs to pick up my prescription and chase up my physio referral, got food for tea and came home.
I've made tea for when my man gets in and have finished weeding for vinyl for the Christmas Show I'm doing end of the month.
I'm now waiting for my man to come home so I can serve tea and run out the door to the church council meeting.
I need to not lose my head there at people as the US election will top topic I'm sure and they will have strong views but they are not Americans living in America so they have NO idea of what it is like to live in America right now.
While I'm waiting on my man I'm going to get a bit more done on the design for my reindeer with baubles hanging off his antlers :)

katzankatz
11-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I decided to skip work and go in tomorrow instead since I know there will not be much for me to do today. I'm doing laundry, and will work on cleaning the bedroom. Dh is in Chicago today, so I think the kids and I will go get dinner out tonight. I should probably walk my dog. We've been having very enjoyable walks lately :) . I have intentions to do some crafting too, but we'll see.

blythe_ann
11-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Avoiding most forms of social media :).
And working, and making cookies tonight because I can.

Gillian
01-05-2017, 10:56 AM
This morning I did the usual chores - well, dh and I did them between us - and I also made a mug of cappuccino for him and a mug of herbal tea for me. After that I took ds#3's bike to the bike shop as the bike has a flat tyre. Hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow. Now just eating an apple before taking ds#2 for a blood test. He gets them done monthly, but this is an extra one as his white cell count was down.

Nothing significant planned for this evening, so will probably spend some time working on the living room, which has become an ongoing project since Monday.

Have a great day!

Gillian

snooch
01-05-2017, 12:25 PM
I've been in people-overload today. Talking with the plumber, a realtor, a neighbor, our Bible study group, a new Bible study member. I'm people'd out. I'm not sure how I'm going to spend the afternoon, but it won't be talking to anyone.

katzankatz
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I went and got a cut and color this morning. It feels so good! Now we're about to leave for Minnesota. Besides not really wanting to go, now my hormones seem to be acting up and I'm all emotional about it. Can't stop thinking and crying about how I'm going to miss my dog! Brother. This age....

tiredwalker
01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I told the kids that I'd make fried chicken for dinner and ice cream for dessert if they set out 50 items for donation. We met that goal and then put the rooms back together. Tired and happy!

katzankatz
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm actually enjoying myself here in Minny.

blythe_ann
01-06-2017, 05:27 PM
I have a sick baby so I'm spending the day holding him and doing nothing else. It's both nice and... well, tiring.

Virginia
01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Snow day here.
So far, I've eaten a slice of pizza, flipped back and forth between the JMU football game and VCU basketball game, done the dishes, and written a blog post.
And taken a nap.

When hubby comes home, I'm hoping we'll go for a walk in the snow :)

mina
01-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Snow here as well. My husband drove me to Jo-Anns fabrics in Long Island so I could get some fabric. I want to make V some summer dresses. No one was there shopping except me! Then we drove back. It took extra long b/c the snow plows had not come aorund and the roads were dangerous. Had I known the plows were not out; I probably wouldn't have gone, but NYC is usually pretty good about it. V was with grandma so she was safe at least!

snooch
01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
It's our anniversary so we've been gone all day - first church, then Outback for lunch, then stopped at a new community that's building near us and talked to the sales manager and looked at a model. Finally home and we're both ready for a nap. :P

Virginia
01-11-2017, 01:47 PM
I had my first appointment with my midwife today, got blood drawn, and then went to the post office.
Back to work tomorrow after three snow days, which have been glorious. But I do miss my students and need to get them caught up!

katzankatz
01-16-2017, 01:04 AM
Went to the mall after church to exchange a gift that's the wrong size. The clerk tried to charge me $25 because the item had gone up in price that much since the item was first bought. Um, no. That's not how it works. No manager there, and the girl was working alone. So I have to go back tomorrow when hopefully a manager will be in.

Then Ds was sitting relaxing and saw a dead bug lying there. He thought it looked like a tick. I'm very familiar with ticks, and this was not a tick. Not a flea either, which my Dh thought it was, which I am also very familiar with. Upon closer inspection and help from Google we came to a horrifying realization that this thing looks an awful lot like a .... Bedbug. Aaahhhh! Then we got into a huge yelling match as we decided to do some cleaning right then and there. Awful awful. Awful cleaning session! We did a lot of looking around the rest of the house too, in bedrooms and bedding, mattress and rugs and corners. Didn't see any other evidence of the nasty creatures, so we're hoping it's some other kind of bug.

Then we all sat down and talked about plans for the rest of the week. I get to deal with making a bunch of phone calls tomorrow. So I got that to look forward to.

Kind of a cruddy day aside from a Packer win. Well, walking my dog was also very satisfying, so that's good too.

tiredwalker
01-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Today, we're going to put together the first of many raised beds for the garden this summer. They're little 4ft x 4ft beds. Then, Andy is going to teach me to pay the bills in this modern era. Fried tacos for dinner!

snooch
01-18-2017, 08:38 AM
I have to spend a couple of hours at the county tax office today. Not looking forward to that. I'll run errands, hit the post office, while I'm out, and when I get home I really need to straighten the house a little. I hope to clean the sinks and counter tops in the bathrooms this afternoon.

blythe_ann
01-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Work, payoff the adoption fee via wire transfer, give a flute lesson, present at a meeting for the arts council, and hopefully love in my baby before he goes to bed.

Gillian
01-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Haven't done much so far, except sleep in, cook hubby's breakfast, eat my own breakfast, file some papers and make cappuccino for him and herbal tea for me, then drank mine along with a plum.

I'll need to go shopping - again - for supplies from the supermarket and shoes to wear to a dinner tonight. It's a gala dinner, the first event in an outreach in this town, called Festival of Hope. The event tonight is called Night of Champions and will feature a number of well known Christian sports personalities.

Have a great day!

Gillian

snooch
01-21-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm not doing a thing today. I may not even get out of my pajamas.

mina
01-21-2017, 11:25 AM
We took down the Christmas tree finally (haha!), the baby loved it so and that's why we kept it up so long. V is going to grandma's and we are going to move the furniture in the living room and vacuum. Then, I'm going to finish priming an old dresser that I plan to paint navy blue and use as a buffet in my dining room.

katzankatz
01-21-2017, 01:38 PM
The whole house needs a good cleaning. I'm spending some time in each room. It won't get deeply clean, but a good general clean will look better.

snooch
01-21-2017, 02:49 PM
I did get out of my pajamas - my husband and I went to a nearby neighborhood next to the lake and looked at some lots for sale and some of the houses that have been recently built there. At this point it is likely a pipe dream, but we're going to talk to the builders and a realtor and see if it would be at all feasible and in our budget to build a house there.

tiredwalker
01-21-2017, 09:53 PM
I chopped and fried corn tortillas into chips thus fulfilling my awesome quota for the day.

katzankatz
01-24-2017, 11:08 AM
BOTH kids at school today! Yay! I did drive Dd to her first day of college classes as her anxiety was nearly over the top, and I'll pick her up again later. Otherwise, it will be so nice to have the house to myself. I've done my bible reading and did some exercise. I'll do some house cleaning and go on a dog walk later. Mostly it just feels good that Dd is out of the house, doing something good for herself, even though it's extremely out of her comfort zone.

purple
02-16-2017, 01:13 AM
I'm off to a craft expo a couple hours from us! Perfect excuse to get out with my mum.

katzankatz
02-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Going to work. Taking down valentines and putting up the next spring occasions.

Gillian
03-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Tidied and vacuumed living room. Felt wrecked afterwards - I am very unfit lol. Hubby and I got food from KFC for dinner and went to a Life Explored session this evening. It's part of a course on what God has done and can do for us. It was put together by Christianity Explored Ministries and the sessions are part of a Festival of Hope taking place in our town.

Blessings,

Gillian

snooch
03-09-2017, 05:40 PM
I feel like I spent most of my day on the phone and at my printer/scanner dealing with documents needed for our upcoming move. I'm exhausted - I wish I could go to bed early but we are going to Bible study this evening.

Gillian
03-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Hope you didn't fall asleep at the Bible Study, Snooch! How are your house move plans coming along now?

Today is Sunday, so we'll be heading to church morning and evening and I'll be preparing and cooking Sunday dinner between services.

Have a great day!

Gillian

snooch
03-19-2017, 05:13 PM
The house move plans are still coming together. Still buried in paperwork but getting more excited as the end approaches. :)

We went to church this morning, came home and had cheesecake for lunch, my husband's passed out taking a nap with the puppy, and I'm doing a bunch of nothing. Perfect Sunday. :)

Jesus-is-the-1
03-22-2017, 07:27 AM
My boyfriend unexpectedly got today off so we are going to Disney. <3

purple
03-22-2017, 06:46 PM
My mum and I spent the day together sorting out loads of stuff for a huge car boot sale I'm planning on doing next week!
Great day and really productive!

katzankatz
03-22-2017, 09:40 PM
I worked at 3 stores today. Kids and i ate dinner at Culver's. Took dog to dog park, where she found a fun new friend, a cute Malamute named Chico. :)

Virginia
03-28-2017, 12:07 AM
I survived work and a 1.5 hour meeting after work, went grocery shopping, watched The Voice, planned some more of our Texas trip...am currently eating cereal and watching a Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra movie.

purple
04-03-2017, 05:30 PM
The electric company came out to change our meter over to a smart meter, I cleared out the kitchen then went out for dinner with my Man's cousin and aunt!

katzankatz
04-03-2017, 11:33 PM
Spent the afternoon at Chicago museum of science and industry. Then drove home, but not without getting stuck in a huge traffic jam. Crazy drivers all over the place!

Gillian
04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Took son to hospital for appointment this morning, then to two different supermarkets, where we both shopped. Tonight my other son and I will go to the local Special Olympics Basketball club. There was great excitement on Saturday when the male and the female teams won gold in the regional games.

Have a great day!

Gillian