PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions

katzankatz
09-12-2016, 11:41 AM
A lot of you like to read, so I thought I might get some good suggestions here. My son has to read a book for school. It has to be a Pulitzer winning novel, any one except for To Kill a Mockingbird. He hates reading! Do you guys know of some books that would be shorter and some of the more interesting ones that a kid like him might tolerate?

I like to read, but don't love it, so I need help.

GM
09-12-2016, 12:12 PM
All The Light We Cannot See.
I picked that for book club and it wad loved by everyone. We usually disagree on books so this one was one of the few ones we all enjoyed.

GM
09-12-2016, 12:19 PM
The Old Man and the Sea is short.

snooch
09-12-2016, 12:27 PM
It has to be a Pulitzer specifically? Newberry isn't good enough?

He might like books that had movie adaptations he would have heard of and might have seen. The Yearling? Our Town? Oooh Harvey! That's not terribly long and it's enjoyable :)

katzankatz
09-12-2016, 08:40 PM
It has to be a Pulitzer specifically? Newberry isn't good enough?

He might like books that had movie adaptations he would have heard of and might have seen. The Yearling? Our Town? Oooh Harvey! That's not terribly long and it's enjoyable :)

Pretty sure it has to be Pulitzer.

katzankatz
09-12-2016, 08:42 PM
All The Light We Cannot See.
I picked that for book club and it wad loved by everyone. We usually disagree on books so this one was one of the few ones we all enjoyed.

I'll have to give this one a second try for myself. I had a hard time getting interested. But I've heard a lot of good things about it.

mina
09-12-2016, 10:46 PM
How old is he?
In middle and high school I read: "The Good Earth", "All the King's Men", "The Color Purple", "Lonesome Dove". He might like Lonesome Dove; it is long though. We read "All the King's Men" for a lit. class in high school and I remember most of the boys really liking it.

katzankatz
09-13-2016, 08:55 AM
He's a Jr in high school.

snooch
09-13-2016, 09:23 AM
I read All the King's Men in high school and liked it a lot.

mina
09-13-2016, 11:13 AM
I think it was my Jr. year when we read it for a class. So the boys that age seemed to like it. I liked it too; it was like layers of an onion, there just kept being more and more you found out as you kept reading it! I thought I would hate it, b/c pretend politics bore me, but I ended up enjoying it.

katzankatz
09-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Whatever he chooses I'll probably read it with him. I hated when my kids wanted help with a book reading assignment, but I'd never read the book.